Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mabel_418
Hi everyone, new here

Hi everyone!

I'm 33 and 5'4" about 225 pounds After hearing about JUDDD from a friend, I've been lurking around the board trying to see if this WOE actually works. From what I've seen, it look like it does! I have done both low carb and low cal diets, and JUDDD almost seems too good to be true.

I'm going to be starting my first down day tomorrow and I am nervous but excited. I did the calorie counter on the JUDDD website and I can have 423 cals on a down day and 2116 on an up day. I also think I want to weight in every up day morning, I don't know if I can mentally handle seeing my weight bounce up after an up day.

I have some questions for you veterans if you dont mind...

I know the up day isn't supposed to be a binge, but do you allow yourselves candy, sweets, or junk food ever? If so how much and how often?

Do you track your calories on the up day or just wing it? The friend I have doing this says she isn't counting on the up days, just on the down days so I don't know.

If you do count up day calories, how do you track them? Do you have any recommendations for calorie counters?

Finally, I don't fully understand the gene that is supposed to "kick in" after a bit on this WOE. Can someone explain it?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate answers, because honestly I want this to finally be the WOE that gets me to where I need to be. It seems like I can always follow a WOE for one day, then the idea of eating so strictly for a long period always throws me off... which is why this WOE seems too good to be true in a way.

I'm looking forward to starting this WOE and being part of your forum.
Mabel_418 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Mabel, welcome! This is a fabulous WOE, and a great group of people.
Many of your questions will be answered by reading the sticky threads, but I'll throw in a couple of thoughts.
I track both DDs and UDs. Some don't need to, but my tendency is to eat far more than I need. That's why I weighed more than I wanted. And my experience so far shows me that I drift back toward that pretty quickly when I don't track.

Some people go full tilt back to carbs when they start. If you do, be warned that you'll gain a bit of water weight initially.
I've found that refined carbs make me crave too much to be worth it. There seems to be lots of variety on this one across the board.

Many of us use online trackers. Not allowed to mention which one, here.

Re: SIRTUIN and its effects, read, read, read here. Kettle boy has a recent thread reviewing his first six weeks. There's some discussion of the magic in that one.
All the best with your first week or two. I'm excited for you. And let us know how it's going. Lots of support, here.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Up day (or DD calories) are whatever you want.

I track calories for both days.

I use a calories tracking app on my phone. Livestrong is what I use.

This way of eating ROCKS! You will do well and we all look forward to seeing much LESS of you soon!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Welcome, Mabel!

I'm not a veteran, only been doing this for a couple of months. JUDDD has helped me lose the last ten pounds that I haven't been able to lose since, well, ever. I couldn't even lose it in high school when I was on the drill team - exercised four hours every day and only ate once per day. Was heavier then, than I am now - post menopausal and on medication that has a side effect of weight gain. JUDDD has worked for me!
I cound both UD's and DD's.

I mostly eat Low Carb, but last week for Halloween, ate half a bag of Butterfingers candy bars. The only day in two months that I went crazy. My weigh in today was a new low, go figure. I normally stay within the calorie range from Dr. Johnson's website. Yes, you can eat sweets, chips or what ever you want, as long as you count calories. Dr. Johnson says in his book that he want us to not feel deprived on our UD. Get Dr. Johnson's book if you can, it answers your questions and then some you didn't know you had.

There's a wealth of info on this board and a few current active members who have lost a large number of pounds. It can be counter intuitive, that's why I come here for inspiration from the gracious JUDDD BUDDS

It took me a month or so to find my groove and recipes that I can make on the down days, don't get too discouraged if you have trouble at first. It takes a couple of weeks for the sirtuins to kick in.

Good luck, Mabel!

Last edited by Luv2Eat; 11-06-2012 at 05:54 AM..
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Welcome Mabel!
I am in agreement with all of the above!

I counted strictly the first 3 months. I now know this by heart and will only track on days that I veer from the Hunger Scale.

I JUDDD and most of all I love that I am never hungry.

Wishing you the best JUDDDing!

Oh, and I JUDDD low carb, mod protein and high fat. On special occasions, I will indulge in a treat or two, but find that the following day is a battle with the "hungries".
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
[QUOTE=sunday;16061638]

I counted strictly the first 3 months. I now know this by heart and will only track on days that I veer from the Hunger Scale.

QUOTE]

I too counted religiously at the beginning on DD's as well as UD's. Now I count very closely on DD's but have a good idea of calorie counts on UD's but don't track. I used an online calorie counter that I started with many years ago that I was already familiar with. If I have something really different I will track. I can tell you offhand the calorie counts of most of my regular foods that I consume often.

I personally think it is very important to track closely for the first few months. It is too easy to underestimate what you are eating per Dr. J. in his book. Also too easy to forget that you had a cookie that was an additional 300 calories at work.

AND this is a slow weightloss method for many, including myself. BUT I am now at maintenance and if I can quit I would still be overweight. I will have been following JUDDD for 10 months day after tomorrow. It works but it has taken me a long time. BUT I have enjoyed the journey and the destination.

Good luck on your journey with JUDDD.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post

Oh, and I JUDDD low carb, mod protein and high fat. On special occasions, I will indulge in a treat or two, but find that the following day is a battle with the "hungries".
Hey Sunday, what do you eat on DDs to achieve your high fat, med protein, low carb balance?
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Kristen,

I am loving this because it has totally eliminated any mindless eating/snacking. I never thought it was possible!!! I also bought the book by Volek/Phinney, "The Art & Science of Low Carb Living". Not finished, but it has helped me w/ the science.

Most DD are the exact same, but I have 2 favs. Both are below 400 cals.

1 BP Coffee (1 tbsp of butter, 1 Evco)
1 Egg
2 slices of bacon
353 cals 87% fat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Creamy Ginger Rootbeer Float (1 tbs of HWC plus Zevia Ginger RB)
My homemade turkey chili w/ dollop of 3 tbs cream cheese.
382 cals 79% fat

My fav idea threads are~

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-low-carb.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...r-version.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
glad you joined this happy bunch!
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and just one more benefit of high fat/mod protein is you can have a higher DD without issue! Every weekend, I enjoy a high DD. I found that when I keep the fat at 80% or higher, I will keep the momentum flowing even at 700 cals.

Last edited by sunday; 11-06-2012 at 07:28 AM..
Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Mabel! I think you've found the most wonderful WOE and board out there! You've gotten some really good comments to your questions, so far. All I'll add is that I'm 9 weeks in and still tracking every calorie on both days. For me, it's important to know. I use a common online tracker that's free. Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Mabel, welcome! Total newbie here just heading into my 2nd week. While for me it's going to be slow losing with this or any plan, I absolutely love this way of eating.. It just feels really great to be in control! I have experiemented the last few days with how I'll approach this thing long-term and I think the consensus is gonna be to keep things fairly lower carb as I think the scale will probably cooperate more

Best of luck to you! You have gotten great help already here with the lovely veterans of this board. You will love it here!!! Jump in, the water is warm!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday, you make my day. Thanks.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #14

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel_418 View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm 33 and 5'4" about 225 pounds After hearing about JUDDD from a friend, I've been lurking around the board trying to see if this WOE actually works. From what I've seen, it look like it does! I have done both low carb and low cal diets, and JUDDD almost seems too good to be true.

It IS too good to be true, and yet . . . it's TRUE!

I'm going to be starting my first down day tomorrow and I am nervous but excited. I did the calorie counter on the JUDDD website and I can have 423 cals on a down day and 2116 on an up day. I also think I want to weight in every up day morning, I don't know if I can mentally handle seeing my weight bounce up after an up day.

You know yourself best. I only weighed once per week for the first 6 weeks, then started weighing daily. I waited until I truly trusted JUDDD!

I have some questions for you veterans if you dont mind...

I know the up day isn't supposed to be a binge, but do you allow yourselves candy, sweets, or junk food ever? If so how much and how often?

I have wine nearly every UD, as well as pretty much whatever else I want. I try to get good nutrition in to help fuel my next DD, but I also don't deny myself anything I'm craving. Many of us have found that we naturally gravitate toward healthier choices most of the time, but still indulge as well.

Do you track your calories on the up day or just wing it? The friend I have doing this says she isn't counting on the up days, just on the down days so I don't know.

I track every single day. I try to hit as close to my UD numbers as possible without going over, and I stay as low as I feel comfortable on DDs.

If you do count up day calories, how do you track them? Do you have any recommendations for calorie counters?

As many have mentioned, most of us use free online trackers. Mine has an app for my phone, so I never have an excuse to "guesstimate."

Finally, I don't fully understand the gene that is supposed to "kick in" after a bit on this WOE. Can someone explain it?

Sirtuins are powerful little guys. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks up to 12 weeks for them to be fully saturated in your body. They clean up dead cells, help with asthma, longevity, energy, appetite suppression, and on and on.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate answers, because honestly I want this to finally be the WOE that gets me to where I need to be. It seems like I can always follow a WOE for one day, then the idea of eating so strictly for a long period always throws me off... which is why this WOE seems too good to be true in a way.

I'm looking forward to starting this WOE and being part of your forum.
I've been doing JUDDD for nearly 11 months and don't think I'll ever do anything else!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Wanted to say Hi, and Welcome to the forum!

I count both UD and DD calories. I eat whatever types of foods I want and I carefully count it ALL. I also take care to give my body the food it needs. For example, my body needs veggies but I want chocolate! So it's a balancing act for me. It is pretty darned easy to keep doing JUDDD for me because food deprivations are no longer part of the equation. It is a wonderful feeling to know that I can eat anything, it's all about the timing.

Wishing you much JUDDD magic!

Connie
Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: witchyanne
Stats: 252/250/180
Start Date: November 2nd 2012
Hi Mabel! I'm new too and so far I LOVE it!

Started the 2nd, at 252.~ and this AM (DD weigh no less!) at 248.0

Pretty good!

Enjoy (oh and I have treats. Yep.)
witchyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
You have found the best WOE ever!
I've been JUDDDing for about 8 mos.
I have no food restrictions and nothing is off limits.
I count my DDs very strictly and eat low DDs at that (under 200 calories).
After the first month or so I stopped counting on UDs.
Unlike many I didn't gain weight from overeating during the day.
I lost my ability to be very active in 2008 and I have struggled with sleepwalk eating.
I never had an issue with overeating while awake so I just eat naturally on UDs, but if you gained weight by overeating while awake it is probably good to count UDs for a while.
I have made provisions to controll the sleepwalk eating and have enjoyed my weightloss with this woe.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Oh, and just one more benefit of high fat/mod protein is you can have a higher DD without issue! Every weekend, I enjoy a high DD. I found that when I keep the fat at 80% or higher, I will keep the momentum flowing even at 700 cals.
Sounds like something I should try.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: witchyanne
Stats: 252/250/180
Start Date: November 2nd 2012
@ Carly - I was actually thinking about cutting my own DDs down by half. So I am glad to see you have with good results! x
witchyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 185/171.6/155 - 5'5
WOE: Stillman's*
Welcome Mabel!
I just started this WOE one month ago and have already lost 10 pounds!! This has the been the only plan that I have been able to stick to more than a week!

I feel confident that I will reach my goal eating this way because I never feel deprived!

I count both my UD and DD because of accountability and I tend to overeat if I don't.

Good luck on your journey! You will love it!
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #21

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Welcome Mabel, good to have you on board.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel_418 View Post
JUDDD almost seems too good to be true.
It's pretty great! I've been on many diets. I've even advocated for a few. But I've never really enjoyed any of them before. JUDDD is livable and wonderful. But it can be extremely hard in the beginning. Gird your loins.

Quote:
75% of my up days are lovely and healthy. 25% of them involve some sort of formerly forbidden food. Tonight there will probably be gnocchi in a gorgonzola cream sauce with scallops and cod, with a side of asparagus. And if I feel like washing that down with some chocolate afterwards, I'm fine with that.

Quote:
I always regret it when I wing it. I do much better when I count on my tracker, which is on my phone and my computer. However, sometimes life gets in the way and I can't count, and JUDDD still works then too. Just slower.

Quote:
I'm a great skeptic about this gene. However, I can report to you that after more than four months on JUDDD there are definite changes in my system. My appetite--always huge--has changed dramatically.

Good luck to you! This is the best plan ever!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote