Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: witchyanne
Stats: 252/250/180
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: November 2nd 2012
What I love most about JUDDD + my family...

Hi, I did the "intro" thing and told a bit about myself here- and my name's Anne - hiya! (Warning, this got rambly! I like reading rambly posts, so I hope you won't mind!)

What is GREAT for us particularly and what makes me feel I can make this work better is: It is FAR easier to plan meals for everyone based on my days than on my diet.

My life:
on Atkins, I have issues with my little boys and my husband mainly, they nick my food. My salami, chicken, cucumber slices, etc whereas my daughter nicks my cream cheese. Even when I have SEPARATE boxes/packs of same with my name and their names on. They just don't "get" it - not even my husband (mainly he's just The Boy from his family and he's a bit greedy when it comes to food he likes. He thinks he's only having "a pinch" except he's 6'5 and there's no such thing as a pinch.)

The thing is, he also doesn't like a lot of stuff I do (nice cheeses, squashes, and a host of other things...so I end up like rarely being about to cook a meal *I* like and that will be enough food for me once he's had his bit, that doesn't cost the Earth.

For example, I get a large pork shoulder and make carnitas, now I need enough meat to make my protein, so I have it on salad with guacamole to make my fats, so as to not have too much cheese (you know the drill). Avocados are expensive. Even pork roast at the size I buy is expensive £10 and up easy.

Then my husband comes along and makes 2 burritos/wraps with 3x the meat I use for myself (I was planning lunch with that!) and seriously will not eat guacamole, tomatoes, sour cream, salsa so instead uses 2 tons of cheese and a bit of lettuce (and this is so I don't give him the evil eye lol) and there you go. Most of the roast *gone.*

Now I make this because it is one of the rare dinners I like that he also likes that can also be done really low carb, etc.; but when he takes all the meat and then goes back for "a pinch" every time he walks through the house,
-which is WAY more often when there's food in the kitchen he likes- I am left with a few sscraps that aren't fit as a dog treat. Same thing if I roast a chicken, make extra chicken breast, etc. He will eat 2.5 1/2 breasts if a pack of 6 and there are 5 of us and I was LCing. *BAH!!!* So no leftovers of the LARGE pack I bought just to have lunch sorted. You see where I am going...I had a really hard time doing Atkins like this. It was always me being cross, going "dude, that was my lunch for 2 days and I make you food every day that you like!" and him looking sad. Or me coming home on a Saturday (I work weekends sometimes) to find someone had gotten into my box of chicken and eaten it all bar 3 useless slices, eaten a whole packet of salami, etc and it would just really hurt my feelings and make me so angry. and I was always falling off because my food would be gone and I was starving. /RANT.

So I tried Cambridge diet - oh my gosh - it is great if you can stay on it and works fast, but I LOVE food (and no I don't have "food issues" or "carb addiction" or anything. I was never overweight till I was on steroids, then had a half year of bedrest. That was bad for me.) - good food that is done right and I am a really good cook (not bragging but I love to cook! You get good at what you love when you have been doing it for over 20 years ;-) ) and I got my heaviest ever AFTER cambridge (20lbs ore than I ever was!) so I am sure I did it wrong - as in: I stopped doing it. I think a fast every other day makes much more sense biologically/physically as well as mentally.

Anyway, bonus about my husband and growing kids: He (and they) does like BORING food. A lot. Give him a plate of meatloaf and mash and veg and he's happy. Sauages, potatoes & veg = happy, whatever and potatoes/pasta/rice = happy and they all eat vegetables nicely. However THAT food bores me and makes me want to cry because it is boring. Also, I want my kids to always try things and have a broader sense of taste than my husband (who I do love dearly - just FYI!) - so: I can feed them on the cheap, on my DDs and make a nicer meal on my UDs and we can all have a bit more harmony.

Last night (my first DD), over the day I cut up a leftover ham, dug out all the getting iffy potatoes and some boring mild cheese, and made cheese and ham and leek potato bake and they loved it (I also made a spare for the freezer "Oh it's a DD for me babe, there's a casserole in freezer. Enjoy! I'm going to play Skyrim.")! Served with a load of green peas and we're set.

Tonight however, I am making chicken Fajitas, and I am having mine IN A FLOUR TORTILLA and not having to worry about 'look, no leftovers again. Wonderful' or feeling angry because whenever I make something he likes he finds a way to eat it all and unfortunately, most things he likes are LC. Like, I could never make a couple rare steaks, I would never see any.

Lately, he has gotten better but mainly due to my tearful frustration and "Do you want me to be fat forever??? I am SICK OF THIS!" because we don't make a lot of money due to husband having gone back to Uni/training and so when he does that, it literally leaves nothing in the house for me to eat and no money to buy anything to restock it. It has caused a lot of hell around here.

So, I am glad to find a plan that seems to be helping people lost weight and has some sense behind it (which is why I LOVED Atkins!).

I cannot wait to see how much better this is for me *and my family* - and I can feel that it will be good!
witchyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Steroids plus six months of bed rest must have really done a bad number on your body! It is sad how often healing brings it's own damage.

And I totally agree with you. Being able to fix one meal for the whole family, then just make sure you respect today's calories when you eat is easier, costs less overall, and is just plain more fun. Being able to enjoy cooking is, as you have seen in many posts, a huge motivator for many of us. Sometimes I get more pleasure out of the cooking than I do the eating - even when the meal tastes very good.

And I do know what you mean: my sister's DH is 6'5", loves to eat, and is a wee bit underweight. And it is fall-down laugh-out-loud hilarious seeing what he considers a 'snack'.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Welcome Anne!
I love how well JUDDD fits in with what other people are eating, too.
You will also save $$ from not eating much on down days!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Anne. Fellow newbie here!

Boy, your family sounds like mine! I literally could have written that bit about the frustration with the food and expense. My DH does the same EXACT thing as yours, leaving me with nothing! So far JUDDD has eased my frustration with family meals, not to mention left me with something left in my wallet! Best of luck to you! This is an amazing board with fabulous people! I love it here.
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Hi, Anne and Welcome!

Yes, it's so nice how this works for everyone in the house. My husband makes a wonderful breakfast with fried eggs, sausage and his delicious fried potatoes. On LC I'd have to have him carefully dole out only a bit of his wonderful potatoes. That would be met with hurt feelings and comments about how it's not that much and more and more guilt until I'd give in and eat a larger portion. This would lead to him making MORE potatoes, so I'd get out the smaller plate for my share and remind him that he was making too much. He'd say, "you don't have to eat them" but I'm a clean plater and can't waste food type, so it's pointless to tell me that.

Now, he asks if today is an up day or a down day and if it's a down day he'll say, "Potatoes in the morning?" and I say yes and just enjoy my 700 calorie breakfast without a worry.

What a great WOE this is.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
I feel the same way except I have to deal with 3 brothers and my dad who are all over 250 pounds and eat like animals!!!!

whatever food I buy is gone by the end of the day! grrrrrrrrr
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote