Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
5 Hour Energy shots

Anybody have experience w this product?

I was thinking of taking one to work since the days are very long and the coffee is not palatable.

I've never tried this product but the cals are low and the caffiene level is not enough to cause problems.

Anybody?
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I personally have never tried them, but DH says they are nasty tasting and did not work for him. He said they wore off after like 2 hours.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
They are bad tasting, but my DH used them when he worked nights. He said the worked and didn't give him a jittery feeling. I used one once, but I am not sure if it worked ... I would only use them in an emergency.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
I was nervous about trying these, but I eventually did after my trusted co-worker raved about them. The first one I ever had worked wonderfully. I was zooming around and super productive. After that, I didn't want to have them on a regular basis, but I'd have one here or there when I really needed to get stuff done but felt low energy. For some reason over time they seemed less effective? I haven't had one in over a year, I think, but I didn't have any ill effects from them.

P.S. I agree that they are not that tasty, but for me the lemon lime was the best flavor.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
I actually keep a supply of them at my desk. I don't use them daily--more like once or twice a week, and sometimes I might go for weeks without having one.

But when I'm feeling particularly low energy (like especially around TOM or when I have a bad night's sleep), they are a big help for getting me back in the game at work. I never use a full bottle at a time--a half bottle does the trick quite well, and I feel alert and energetic, but not with any kind of buzzy feeling.

Some of the flavors are yucky (although I've found the ones I thought were bad at the beginning to be tolerable now). The best flavor I've found is the pomegranate, which just came out this year--I actually like it. So far I have only been able to find it at Walmart.

I also just saw that they are putting out a pink lemonade flavor for Breast Cancer Awareness, and I'll give that one a try.

"I don’t believe in optimism. I believe in optimal behavior. That's a different thing . . . Action is hope. . . . It doesn’t matter how good it is, or how bad - you did it.

--Ray Bradbury, R.I.P.
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I am very sensitive to stimulants. For some reason coffee and tea don't really affect me, but pretty much everything else does. DH was using them when he worked nights and he seemed to like them. Though he prefers Monster Rehab, so that might be saying something about the 5 Hours.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
They always scared me a little, but I've been tempted to try them when really sleepy with TOM or otherwise. I'll keeping reading with interest.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
haha I used to drink these when I was in university. They don't taste great but definitely give you energy.

When I feel like I need energy and don't want to drink a coffee I just use caffeine pills. I bought mine at GNC, its just 200mg of caffeine and no other ingredients. Really gives you a boost !
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
i think they are wonderful! they are the only energy drink that i've tried that actually seems to work (red bull is a close second though). my only complaint is they can be hard to find in the UK although some of the health food stores sell them sporadically. i did import some on ebay once.

i am not sure if i would recommend them for every day, but they are good at least for occasional use when you need to be extra alert or are tired.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
There are similarly shaped little bottles in competition with these that are basically Vitamin B-12. I see them at the local vitamin store and drug stores, WMart, etc. They are right at several registers I remember and seem to have become very convenient to find. I can't comment on them really because I haven't tried them but it might be worth looking for reviews at least, especially if you had any question whether the other type would be good for you.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
I too am sensitive to stimulants. The Crystal Light energy things caused me the shakes. Due to that fact, I stay away from them.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I drink coffee in the morning and am fine with it so since the regular shots are the same caffiene as a cup o' jo, I will try one on Fri while working.

On work days, I get up a 0445 and then work a 12.5 hr shift....no break, per se, I get paid for the whole 12.5.

After a short night of sleep, I feel the need for caffiene by mid day....
Can't have anything too late or it'll keep me from a good nights sleep.

I have looked at the reviews for this product but not the others....will check them out.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
5-hours made my sil really sick used several days a week.
you could just take a good b complex, have a cup of good tea or a small protein drink (premix some good protein powder in water or almond milk in a small mason jar and take).
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/223/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
The Taurine contained in these type of Stimulant drinks can be very useful for weight loss. So i have moved away from the drink and now just use taurine. interesting compound for many reasons, take a look on google "Taurine weight loss".
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
This has nothing to do with your interest in consuming them, however it did remind me that those five hour energy drinks were involved in the death of a college student in Washington state last week. He died of alcohol poisoning because he had also been drinking energy drinks which somehow prevented his body from reacting normally.
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The ingredients in 5 hour shots are simply vitamins and caffiene....not so strange.

I do not know what the death was caused by....energy drinks sounds pretty non specific.
Some have very high amts of stimulant....and unidentifiable ingreds.

I already consume coffee so am not concerned about 'normal' amts of caffiene and I do pay attention to ingredients so most energy drinks would not be something I would include.

Only thing is that I would probably be more interested in something w less of a vitamin mix since I try not to get into supplements to any degree.

The shot someone mentioned w just B-12 sounds good so I will investigate further.

Oh, and the death referred to; there is no evidence that the guy even consumed any 5 Hour. One empty container in the dorm....?
The other thing is; Alcohol poisening happens and most peop who die from it do not 'puke'....that's the problem. Energy drinks have nothing to do with it and it's been happening since....forever, way before energy drinks came on the scene.

Last edited by jem51; 11-06-2012 at 11:31 AM..
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
On another note...your schedule sounds exhausting!

If it's long term energy you're after, there are some 'green' supplements which are said to help with energy. I went to the local health food store once and asked for something which would help with energy, and they gave me some mix of barley grass and wheatgrass that really did help. Also they had something called 'green machine' (I think). I buy those things for days when my own schedule gets insane. Maybe if there is a health food store around you you can ask for something like that?

I should add that I am personally INsensitive to most energy supplements, caffeine, etc, so it takes a lot for something to have any effect on me at all, and that's the perspective I'm writing from here

Last edited by Avicenna; 11-06-2012 at 12:30 PM..
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I believe it was Beverly who talks about BCAA's on the "Benefits thread", but I purchased this and love it! I have been drinking this both in the morning and when I get off work and it doesn't cause any jitters, plus it gives me energy to do my workout at the end of the day as well. Lots more reviews on this on Amazon.

Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy - Customer Reviews at Netrition.com
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I feel that I get a great deal of energy from the pterostilbene. It has made a huge difference for me- with no ill-effects.

Check out the pterostilbene thread on the JUDDD board.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I feel that I get a great deal of energy from the pterostilbene. It has made a huge difference for me- with no ill-effects.

Check out the pterostilbene thread on the JUDDD board.
I agree! I notice when I forget to take it that my day is not the same.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote