Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
17 Weeks on JUDDD -- Sick :(

Today's weigh in was 262, a gain of 1 lb for a total of 28 lbs lost, 24 of them on JUDDD at a rate of 1.4 lbs per week.

This week's losses were complicated by some sort of mysterious stomach ailment. At first I thought it was some sort of "bug" or food poisoning. Then I thought it was hunger--which led to an epic day of up day eating--and now I've begun to suspect something else. I intend to go to the doctor's office but am collecting more data first. Does it get worse when I eat? Why does it radiate into my back? Why does it respond to antacids? Etc. I won't bore you all with the details. Let it suffice to say that weight loss has not been my priority this week. I've kept to rotations, but haven't counted at all on up days. And the scale reflects as much.

For those of you considering JUDDD, here are the upsides and downsides.

Downsides

Worries. I don't know if this way of eating has somehow screwed up my digestive track. I will be supremely pissed at the unfairness of the universe if that is the case, because I love JUDDD! However, I seriously doubt it's the diet. Especially since the down days have involved less gastric distress than the up days.

No More Bulletproof Coffee For A Bit. Until I figure out what's going on with my insides, I'm going to have to put a halt to BPC or even Bulletproof Tea, because they're both acidic. What's a girl to do?

Trash Food. I know for a fact that I'm eating more vegetables and healthy nutrients than I've ever eaten before. I'm just not sure if it's an effective counter-weight to some of the junk I've eaten recently. At a bridal shower this weekend, I had my first soda in ages. (Totally not worth it, Dr. Pepper!) I also indulged in a cupcake (which sucked so I threw it away), and some chips (which did not suck but I didn't have many). Because of JUDDD, I didn't go too wild. One brownie instead of ten, etc. However, it was a total junk carb blow out. I guess I don't mind when that happens if the food is spectacular, but this time it was all pretty crummy. I didn't really enjoy it and it didn't send me on a food bender, but I could have opted for healthier choices. JUDDD freedom should not be taken as an excuse to abuse oneself.

Upsides

Psychological Relaxation. I'm not immune to freaking out when the scale bounces. I always think, "Oh no, this is when the plan stops working for me!" But having a chart of my losses to consult, I now recognize the pattern. It's a wild bouncing ball. I'm starting to take it with increased calm. Yeah, I bounced up from last week, but I'm within spitting distance of a new decade. As long as I work the plan, I'll get there shortly. And because JUDDD can be so pleasant, I'm not so antsy. I want to lose faster but only because I want to get healthier--not because I can't wait to stop JUDDDing.

Recipes! Considering how poorly a certain lamb stew recipe turned out for me this week, maybe I should put this under the downsides, but wading through recipes to find delicious new foods and rediscovering old favorites is a joy. I'm not all hyped up for Halloween. I might have a Twix bar or something tonight on my up day, but I'm not enthusiastic about it. I just thought to myself, 'Why would I have a Twix Bar tonight? Sure, I like them. But I can have them any time I want now. I don't have to wait until Halloween. If I have a craving for them, I just have to wait until my Up Day.'

New Discoveries. The grilled eggplant, red-pepper, hummus sandwich is my latest craving. Such a thing would never have occurred to me on any other plan.

Honestly Happy. It occurs to me that other weight loss plans have always involved a great deal of self-deception including these oldies but goodies: "Oh, no, I'm perfectly content with eating another bowl of tasteless lettuce topped with chicken every single time I go out to any restaurant." and "Who needs a slice of cake when I can have this bowl of fruit salad?" or "I don't miss <bread/rice/potatoes/noodles>. This <unappetizing substitute> is just as good as the real thing!" Those are all lies and I knew they were lies when I was telling them, but if I didn't lie to myself I'd never stay on plan. There's no lying to myself with JUDDD. Yep, a Down Day may be super unpleasant. I may eat things I don't care for (shirataki noodles) and I may be hungry. But tomorrow I'm going to eat delicious stuff and I'm not going to be hungry. And it's going to be awesome. And that's no lie!

Last edited by stephdray; 10-31-2012 at 12:25 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Steph, and hoping you start to feel better soon! I sometimes go through a few days of mysterious stomach ailment (so mysterious, i can't really describe it), but I know what you mean about doing your homework before going to the Dr, so keep it up, and you'll either feel better, or get some insight, soon

I've still not braved all the new-old recipes, though I did try one at thanksgiving-- still couldn't bring myself to use sugar in the sweetpotatoes, and stuck to brown sugar twin. And I made one full sugar, full flour cake, but gave most of it away I do agree though, the options are ASTOUNDING.

Mostly, I like the part about the lying
I do like a lot of LC foods, I'm a total meat girl. AND POTATOES... I love creamed cauliflower, but if I have an opportunity for pasta, I will likely take it. KWIM?
So, JUDDD is helping inform my choices, and my LC habits are not dying (hard or otherwise), but having that freedom to make choices, and make them b/c they are a choice and not some forbidden thing, is tremendously freeing.

Have you had the shirataki with the pb recipe? I think I truly like that one, seems to be a good fit for those noodles.

You're doing awesome, you know it, so now hopefully your tummy will settle and you can feel more like yourself.
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Sorry you're not feeling well, and I sure hope it resolves quickly!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Hope you feel better soon

I too, found coffee acidic. I read that if you add a little salt or smidge of baking soda it helps with the acid. I've been doing that and haven't gotten heartburn/acid reflux since.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Steph, great reading, thanks.
You know, my GI tract has been a lot weirder since starting JUDDD. I used to have two states: fairly LC and massive, HC blowout. My GI tract had predictable responses to those states.
Now, jeepers, I do shirataki for two weeks, I ditch that and do bulletproof coffee, I do weeks of high protein, low fat, and barrel on toward high fat cream cheese and bacon as a staple. So many experiments!
It's no wonder my gut rebels from time to time. (Or gall bladder, for that matter, which is huge for radiating to backs.)
The other thing is that I feel I used to eat so much that my gut was a bit deadened. Poor thing may just be waking up, now, and letting me know what it likes and doesn't like.
(I've also had crazy sinuses and sinus headaches since beginning JUDDD. If anyone can help me with ideas on that one, I'll take'em.)
Anyway, I love your observations. You are a speedy learner and an excellent teacher.
All the best with your next installment.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I hope you are better soon and that whatever is bothering you health wise is minor and goes away quickly. Enjoy the TWIX bar! I have a small Coffee crisp planned for tonight (DD), and more stashed for tomorrow. I think I will have left over candy this year now that I am not snacking so much out of the bowl.
(I love your Halloween Avatar and weight loss bar Soren!)

Last edited by Babsbabs; 10-31-2012 at 02:08 PM..
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Steph- I hope you are feeling better soon or get checked out by your MD if your not getting better.

Thanks for week 17's update
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Thanks Barb It will go away tonight at midnight (and into November birthday mode!).
sorenkkg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #9

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Dearest Steph, as always I love your great updates but this made me sad. I don't want you to feel poorly. It would have been much easier if the ravenous day had been just that. As it is I hope you soon get to the bottom of this strange intestinal issue.

But, as always I love the Downsides and Upsides. I am with you on the joys of things like hummus sandwiches and other delights of that kind.

The real magic of this week's post of course, is about Honesty. It is so true, you know it, I know it and almost everyone here on LCF knows it. Here on JUDDD we are able to acknowledge this, not everyone can.

Be well soon.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Dearest Steph, as always I love your great updates but this made me sad. I don't want you to feel poorly. It would have been much easier if the ravenous day had been just that. As it is I hope you soon get to the bottom of this strange intestinal issue.

But, as always I love the Downsides and Upsides. I am with you on the joys of things like hummus sandwiches and other delights of that kind.

The real magic of this week's post of course, is about Honesty. It is so true, you know it, I know it and almost everyone here on LCF knows it. Here on JUDDD we are able to acknowledge this, not everyone can.

Be well soon.
Everything Cindy said so eloquently! Please keep us informed about what is happening with your health.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
So hope you get to the bottom of the tummy issues soon and on the road to recovery. Enjoyed your eloquent update as usual.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Steph, I'm really sorry you're still feeling bad. I get what you mean about gathering more data. It will help the Dr figure it out, the more they know, and as long as you're not in acute discomfort, it makes sense.

This may be TMI, but it couldn't be constipation, could it? I'm having that a lot more since JUDDDing. (I seem to swing wildly from one extreme to the other sometimes) I've tended to go more in the other direction my whole life, so I don't always recognize the symptoms right away. In fact, last night I had only one bowl of chili and was so full. I was thinking "How did I ever easily eat two whole bowls of this?" I was so uncomfortable. When I went to bed I took a couple of TUMS, and fell asleep. Woke up at 1:30 with sharp pains at the bottom of my ribcage. Kind of scary. Then I remembered when I'd had this pain the last time. Majorly constipated. It took a few days to work its way through.

Sorry if this is a ramble, and totally unrelated to what you're going through. I'm sure you've been monitoring all that and taken it into consideration. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Take care of yourself and hope the doctor finds some easy to resolve issue.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200(190)/140.4(181)/140 64yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Steph, I hope you get to the bottom of your illness very soon! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, pros & cons.

Please do check with your doctor if this continues. Hang in there!

Shari
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Steph, I'm really sorry you're still feeling bad. I get what you mean about gathering more data. It will help the Dr figure it out, the more they know, and as long as you're not in acute discomfort, it makes sense.

This may be TMI, but it couldn't be constipation, could it? I'm having that a lot more since JUDDDing. (I seem to swing wildly from one extreme to the other sometimes) I've tended to go more in the other direction my whole life, so I don't always recognize the symptoms right away. In fact, last night I had only one bowl of chili and was so full. I was thinking "How did I ever easily eat two whole bowls of this?" I was so uncomfortable. When I went to bed I took a couple of TUMS, and fell asleep. Woke up at 1:30 with sharp pains at the bottom of my ribcage. Kind of scary. Then I remembered when I'd had this pain the last time. Majorly constipated. It took a few days to work its way through.

Sorry if this is a ramble, and totally unrelated to what you're going through. I'm sure you've been monitoring all that and taken it into consideration. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Take care of yourself and hope the doctor finds some easy to resolve issue.
LCG, sorry about the thread jack, but have you checked out the dirt thread? It's not for everybody, but it seems to have cured all constipation issues for me on JUDDD. It took me five or six months to give it a try (Dirt? Are you kidding me?), but I'm a convert.
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Kristin. I have been following the DE thread, with no small amount of interest. I've even identified the kind I would buy from Amazon....if I decide to do it. I guess I just haven't been ready to pull the trigger on that yet. Very interesting that it's helped you with this issue. I'll have to give it some more thought. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Steph, sorry for the slight gain and the tummy troubles. Glad you are in a good place mentally to deal with it though. And hoping you get some answers and/or relief soon.

Dirt has helped my irregularity issues too. No wild swings either way anymore. Every morning, just like clockwork.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Awww, Steph, hope you get the issue resolved with an easy fix. Love your observations about Honestly Happy. Hope you feel better soon.
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I seriously don't want to whine all over my thread and bore you all with health problems, but it's my thread, and it might be helpful or educational to somebody, so here we go:

I have been experiencing acute digestive distress on a level I have never before experienced and it has gone on continuously for seven days now accompanied by a spasming pain in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen. Sometimes it radiates into my back.

It gets much worse when I eat anything. Which is not a good sign.

It doesn't matter if it's a big meal, small meal, fatty meal, low fat meal, veggie meal, carb meal, etc. No matter what I eat, my stomach boils with acid. Antacids offer some relief, but not complete relief. It is better if I don't eat or drink anything. Which makes DDs suddenly quite a bit better. However, while the acid is held at bay if I don't eat, the spasms in my upper right abdomen continue, food or no food.

I went to the doctor who ran blood tests and I'm still waiting on results. She prescribed acid inhibitors and an antispasmotic. I'm taking the acid inhibitors. I'm not going to take the antispasmotic. The reason I'm not taking it is that if one of the organs other than my stomach is involved (gall bladder has been removed already so I guess that leaves the pancreas and the liver), I want to know if damage is being done rather than mask the symptom.

So I thank everybody for their good wishes and hope you understand if I'm a little scarce around here. My thoughts are here with you and, quite honestly, I don't think losing weight is going to be a problem this week.

Last edited by stephdray; 11-02-2012 at 02:00 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #19

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Not good Stephen. I am really sorry to read that things have only got worse. At least you have seen you doctor and things are moving forward to find out what is behind it all.

As you say, losing weight is going to be only too easy, though for all the wrong reasons.

Sending you lots of good wishes, hope things improve soon.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
Sending good wishes too. I hope you get the results quickly and it gets resolved.
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Beaming all good things your way.
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #22

Keep us updated, and all the best vibes headed your way for healing.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Please take care Steph, and I'm thinking positive for you. I hope you can get this straightened out quickly and be feeling better soon.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Let us know what is happening when you can. Throw things and scream all you need to all over this thread. I am worried about you.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I am sorry for your woes Steph, but glad you are seeing the doctor. I am starting to wonder if there is some intestinal bug going around. I have heard this story in so many places.

I have been going on 4 weeks with some horrendous intestinal issues as well where nothing was staying in for more than 60 seconds. The weird thing is, when stuff like that happens, my body holds on to my weight and I lose nothing. My doc told me to stay away from trying or taking any supplements during this time period as so many can actually agitate things worse.

I am hoping for a speedy resolution for you. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm so sorry this hasn't resolved on its own, Steph, but really glad you've been to the doctor. I understand you're not wanting to start the antispasmoticc quite yet. That's really more for relief of pain for you, and until you find out more from the blood tests, if you can stand it, it does seem logical.

Please feel free to vent to us here. Don't worry about being AWOL though. I understand you may just need to rest and concentrate on healing. Do let us know how you're doing, and when you get the results. We care about you!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ANGIE 43
Hi, just wondering if you have been tested for gall stones , what you are discribeing is very similar to the symptoms I had when I was struck with gall stones, very unpleasant and painful , hope you get answers and relief soon
Angie
ANGIE 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #28

I was thinking that too, but she mentioned she's already had her gall bladder removed.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ANGIE 43
Ahhhhh, I overlooked that
ANGIE 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Take care Steph. Thinking of you!

My initial thought was the gallbladder too, but nope. Hang in there honey!!
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote