Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
How to Deal with Extra Hungry Up Days

I have a generous allotment of Up Day calories on JUDDD. On a normal day, I have no difficulty staying under the limit. Sometimes well under it. But every now and then--maybe one a month--I come upon an Up Day when nothing I put into my mouth seems to be enough.

I've learned to battle hunger pretty effectively on Down Days. The psychological ability to tell myself, "Tomorrow you can eat it. Just hold out until tomorrow" is the most powerful weight loss weapon I've ever found.

But on an Up Day I know what tomorrow is going to be like. And it's not going to be pretty.

Today is a day of outrageous hunger. I knew I was in trouble this morning when I couldn't wait to cook one of the beautiful breakfasts I've become accustomed to making. Instead, I grabbed leftovers cold from the fridge, and ate them over the counter like a feral animal.

After a five hundred calorie breakfast I was still famished. I forced myself to wait an hour for a snack, after which I was still famished. I forced myself to wait for stew in the crock pot, and even though the recipe didn't turn out, I ate it, and was still famished. A handful of nuts later, still famished. A cup of coffee later, still as if I'd eaten nothing all day. It felt as if it were actually a horrible down day.

Part of this may be that my body has just clued in to the 8 lb loss from last week and doesn't like it. Part of it may be that I was sick this week and kept to my down day anyway. And part of it may be that I stood in line for four hours last night for early voting in my state, which, as it turns out, is a lot of exercise.

Anyway, even though I suspect my body is fighting this hard because it's about to drop more weight, I'm not going to hold the line today. If I do, I know that I will never get through tomorrow's down day--I don't think I have the psychological weaponry for it this time. It's going to be an Up Up and Away Day that will probably ruin my losses this week but it is what it is.

However, next time I want to be prepared for it. Has anyone had this happen to them before? Is it predictable? Do you have coping strategies for it? Perhaps eating a monstrous breakfast?

Last edited by stephdray; 10-29-2012 at 01:38 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I just had one of those yesterday. I almost never have a day like that, either on UDs or DDs, and I really have no idea why yesterday was so hard. I made a lot of good choices, and barely stuck to my UD calories, by the skin of my teeth, but I ate all. day. long!

I don't have any advice, but am definitely looking forward to whatever answers you get.

BTW, no whoosh this morning, but I just had a 3 pound whoosh a few days ago, so that might have something to do with it. Also, today's DD is no more difficult than my usual DDs.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
l-carnitine helps me with appetite
but some days really are just hungry.
sometimes I just eat more, and go for fats to satisfy.
sometimes I ate too many carbs the day before or for breakfast and my body is letting me know how THAT pays off.
sometimes I just tell myself I am done and to get over it. I won't die just because I am a little ravenous. It will pass, especially if I go to bed early. Copious amounts of hot water can usually trick me into "feeling full".
I try to at least learn from the day.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
I couldn't process anymore information after I read "8 lb loss last week". How did I miss that??? How could that not be world news??? Wow - please publish your menu for last week calorie by calorie. Many congrats!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/147/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I bet it was the standing for 4 hours. In my experience hunger always hits me the day after exercise and it makes sticking to plan more difficult the following day.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I have at least 2 and maybe even up to 4 of those types of days every month, and mine almost always coincide with ovulation time and just before TOM. I guess mine are sort of predictable in that way. Still, every once in a while, I'll have one of those days and it has nothing to do with hormones or what I ate or did the other day, so those aren't predictable.

I usually try my best to white-knuckle it through, along with trying to convince myself of everything I can think of to get through it. If that doesn't work, I'll give in and eat more and shoot for a few hundred calories more instead of a thousand calories more. Also, the minute I realize it's "one of those days", I immediately switch to the foods that I know will satisfy me the most and try to start the damage control in that way as early on as possible.

In all reality though, I think we all have a few those types of days once in a while, and if we do go overboard in our calories, it's usually not that hard to have a really good DD the following day. One UUAD isn't going to halt your weight loss journey. You may have a temporary water weight gain (sometimes that doesn't even happen), but it'll go back down with a couple good DD rotations, so really, your weekly/monthly average is still down.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/147/145
Start Date: March 2012
I forgot to say what I do when I am hungry from exercise. I have found that I need to add in some calories the following day. I don't go to a higher exercise level full time (as outlined on the website), but I do add in some of the calories that I burned off the previous day from the activity to keep sane. I bet you burned an extra 800 calories at the very least standing vs sitting for that long and I know that would make me hungry. I hope things get back to normal for you soon.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)

I have to keep a log because I am way past menopause. But I have noticed I have one starving day each month. Sometimes DD, sometimes UD. Always around the 14th. And, yep, when the starving curse falls on an UD, I fly up, up, and away. Usually the next day all is well and it only takes a DD to remove the evidence.

So, we have TOM (as a maybe), recovering from being ill, standing in line, adjusting to a major loss in a short time... Since you ate the not-as-good-as-expected stew, probably a combo of all of the above.

Congratulations on being healthier, voting, and losing a lot of weight recently. More shall follow.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I, too, usually have 2 really hungry days each month. UD or DD. For me it is around ovulation and TOM. I increase fluids- tea and broth on DD and coffee with cream on UD. If I have a hungry UD it never seems to carry over to my next DD- no matter whether I gave in or white knuckled it. An occasional UUAD is not going to have lasting negative consequences. You may even have another whoosh coming.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WantToBeSlim
Stats: 219.25/174/147
Start Date: October 1st 2012
I seem to be having these types of days most of my recent up days... I just keep going over by anywhere between 200 and 700 calories over . Although mine are a little different, it's not hunger (I'm not even noticing any hunger feeling on my down days now yippeee!)... it's just pure greed and eating for the sake of it and also because tomorrow I can't. I have struggled with my weight for quite a few years now but it's only been in the last 4ish years that I've emotionally eaten and eaten out of boredom or like I said, for the sake of it? I even used to continue eating even though I was so full up it felt like my stomach was about to explode.

Start weight 219.25 lb - UK size 22/24
Current weight 174 lb - UK size 16/18
Goal weight 147 lb - UK size 14
WantToBeSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
hot coffee with some coconut oil seems to tame the hungries for me. I also will open a capsule of L-glutamine and empty under my tongue--also helps--getting away from food also helps--if I am near the kitchen, the siren call of food can defeat the best strategies--and yes, I do know it usually means my body is fighting back against the imminent release of fat, which helps to remember.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
That was me last Friday! It was my first day like that, and I did not stick to my UD calories by a long shot. I had just had a little whoosh on the scale THAT MORNING, too, and I'm hovering around my former setpoint .... hmmmm. I was thinking after it happened about your post a while back about an extra hungry up day, and how it was followed by a whoosh and you realized your body was probably fighting it! If it happens again, I'm going to try more protein, less carbs? Don't know if it will work, but worth a try. I will say that DD following the UUAD was VERY easy. I actually didn't need anything but BPC. And the following UD was no problem. Tomorrow I'll be able to tell if it damaged my progress or not . . .
I used a lot of acronyms in this post
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 149/138/130
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
[QUOTE Instead, I grabbed leftovers cold from the fridge, and ate them over the counter like a feral animal [/QUOTE]

OH, I have those days!

Last edited by SICCHI; 10-29-2012 at 06:18 PM..
SICCHI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 149/138/130
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICCHI View Post
[QUOTE Instead, I grabbed leftovers cold from the fridge, and ate them over the counter like a feral animal
OH, I have those days!
worst quote effort ever!

Last edited by SICCHI; 10-29-2012 at 06:20 PM..
SICCHI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
LOL Sicchi!

Steph, I totally have those days. Usually after I've posted my "final" count, I go back for a snack...sigh.

I can COUNT on PMS for a culprit, but for me, not TOM. I actually get back to normal that week... the week before is a NIGHT. MARE. seriously, caps deserved.

This is why, as much as I want to stick to the 500 on DD's and my 2100 or so on UDs, sometimes, it just is more. Today was probably more like 800 on the DD. You know about some of my recent UDs (ice cream cake on Friday, breakfast buffet on Sunday).

I take it in stride. Yes, too many of these any given month will probably affect my loss somewhat. However, I've learned from the JBs here that this is not a race. Not even with myself, or my doctor.
She's not threatening me with any sort of med or anything, so weight loss is really just for me and my physical and mental wellbeing.

If I only (HA!) lose 30 pounds again next year, or 20 even (and keep it off), that's something! And learning that I can eat 500 cals on a day (or 700 or 800) and not drop dead, that's something too.

Anyway-- I digress, as usual.

I blame hormones mostly for my insatiable days, and on a day like today, unresolved stress that no amount of talking-it-out would solve.

my friend. You will totally kill it on some other DD, and in the great wheel of JUDDD, there will be balance.

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do think experimenting with different food combos on those extra hungry days is a very good idea.

I am just finishing my 10th month on JUDDD. Several months ago I noticed my hormonal/out-of-balance hunger ignored protein, but extra carbs combined with a slight increase in fat does the trick (think zucchini roasted with olive oil sprinkled with a teaspoon of cheese, or diced turnips steamed with two teaspoons of lard/butter, gosh we suffer don't we?). Someone else said they go zero carb and see the hunger monster calm down.

Please do try different foods! These days I know when the hunger is coming, or recognize when something unusual sets it off. I just revise my menu slightly (on DD I add less than 80 calories), and sail right through it (the first few times it hit, I did lick the fridge clean).

Stephanie, how are you feeling today??????
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I too have had those days, more so of late..The one thing i did try that worked for me this time was the High fat.. not sure why it workd, but it did.. Werid how drinking a cup of coffee with the CO in it made a differnce.. and i dint even care about counting those calories.. Best of luck my friend and hang in there, i too belive that our bodys will send us that message to eat more due to were getting ready to shed more poundS~~~ Woohoo.. KUTGW~ love ya ~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Unfortunately, I no longer believe that it's hunger.

Somewhere around my third bowl of stew last night, I started to realize that the gnawing ache in the center of my now bulging tummy probably had nothing to do with food. Food certainly calmed the pain for a little bit--but did not eliminate it.

Pepto Bismol before bed helped tremendously but I woke up this morning with waves of mild stomach pains that radiated to my back. I took an acid reducer and decided to forego anything acidic like coffee or tea today.

At this point I suspect that whatever I interpreted as a stomach bug a few days ago was actually some form of gastritis and I'm still suffering from it. The only ailments I know that mimic hunger are h. pylori and some types of ulcers.

I'm not going out into a hurricane for a stomach ailment, so I'm giving it a day or two to settle on its own, but if it doesn't clear up I guess I need to take it seriously anyway.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh yuck! Sympathies and hope it proves to be a bug that passes on it's own.

Otherwise, put on makeup, dress in heels, slam your hat into your hair, and head for the doctor!

Last edited by gotsomeold; 10-30-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Old 10-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Oh yuck! Sympathies and hope it proves to be a bug that passes on it's own.

Otherwise, put on makeup, dress in heels, slam your hat into your hair, and head for the doctor
!
You don't want to play with H.Pylori (sp?) I've had that. Sandy is over for the most part so go to MD if you don't feel well still. Please?
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #21

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
So sorry you're still feeling poorly, Steph. It may, indeed, be time to get some medical help. I hope it's nothing serious and you're on the mend very soon!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Miserable! Hope it clears up by morning, Steph.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #23

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Oh dear Steph, not good. Sending hugs.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote