Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Sandy is on her way! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/787808-sandy-her-way.html)

Carly 10-28-2012 07:30 AM

Sandy is on her way!

For all my dear JUDDD Buds who are in Sandy's path, please be safe.
We stocked the house yesterday with a bunch of non-pershables, batteries, water, etc.
Please, please be safe if you are in her path... they say it will be bad!:aprayer:

Jbinme 10-28-2012 07:53 AM

I'll be thinking of you Carly and anyone else over there.
Be safe and please let us know you are ok whenever possible:hugs:

krow134 10-28-2012 07:57 AM

I bought water, bread, hot dogs, and peanut butter. Lucky for us we are campers so we have a propane stove and a coffee pot you can use on the camp stove too. Plus we have a fire place for roasting hot dogs. As soon as I finish up a few loads of laundry and the family is showered, I am gonna fill up buckets for toliets, dishes and hand washing.

We are over by Pittsburgh and they are calling for us to get 3-5 inches of rain and we are in the 30-50 mph winds. I think we will lose our lights for a while. But we live in the country and I swear the sun knocks them out just as much so this is nothing new! However the last time we got hurricane winds and rain we lost lights for four days. So I am extra prepared this time.

I even told my client, if he thinks I am taking him any where this week he can kiss my butt! He said we might have to run out and get him beer and smokes.....nope! Told his wife...his safety before his vises!! 3-5 inches of rain will mean flooding and wrecks and just not taking him anywhere! He won something on the radio the other day and he thinks we will run right out to pick it up when they call and that aint happening either. He likes to wait til there is a storm to want to go out and about, never when its beautiful and I have nothing to do! Told him before, I am the one who gets soak and wet and muddy from dealing with his wheelchair and its totally ticks me off, because I have to walk around like that all day and he doesnt. But he always says I am there for him and if I dont like it there are plenty of other jobs out there. He can be a miserable one to work for! His wife said before, if I leave he goes to a nursing home.......wish she would tell him that so he would get off my back when I tell him no!

Told the kids too, dont be upset if they cant go out trick or treating. Some places are rescheduling it for the weekend already!

My only "thing that makes me mad" is I wont be able to run this week! I will run in snow, heat and rain......but those winds will make it way to hard!!!

Well I to hope everyone stays safe in the "frankenstorm". And I hope you all are prepared too!! :heart: and hugs to you all!

TryingJudd 10-28-2012 08:05 AM

Just checked candles and matches, doing laundry and a bit of cooking now. Charge all your electronics now and be safe everyone!

Carly 10-28-2012 08:23 AM

Tanya and TJ- I'll be thinking of you.
Tonight I will fill the bathtub and a few pots for flushing and washing.

We have 2 flashlights with back-up batteries and a whole bunch of candles with one of those long bic candle lighters. We found a few packs of matches, but G_d knows how old those are- we quit smoking more than a year ago.

:aprayer: for all in harms way!

SoHappy 10-28-2012 08:24 AM

Always good to be prepared at all times with the basics covered, and then to be able to stock up on extras once a warning for a severe storm is issued. Stay safe, everybody. Sounds like strong winds and lots and lots of rain with flooding. I hate the storms that have winds that rip down trees and take the roof off the chicken coop type stuff! I second the advice to make sure all the electronics are fully charged. Plenty of fresh batteries in the radio and flashlights, etc.

sungoddess 10-28-2012 08:31 AM

Oh.... I hate it when electricity goes out!!! My good thoughts and prayers are with all of you. I just heard the subways are shutting down in NY in 8 hours.
:aprayer: Hoping for the best. Take care everyone!

Carly 10-28-2012 08:40 AM

Yes, and they closed the city schools. I hope to hear tonight about work, so I can just sleep in if I don't have to go.

gotsomeold 10-28-2012 09:17 AM

Anyone care to bet on whether Carly goes anywhere tomorrow?

Massive earthquakes off the West Coast, Frankenstorm hitting the East Coast...You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Carly 10-28-2012 09:23 AM

I'd like to bet that chances are slim, but if they don't close the agency I may feel obliged to go. It has only been 4 years out of the last 12 that I have not been employed by a hospital and hospitals don't care if the sky is falling and the ground is quaking. You better be there and plan to stay there for a day or 2. The upside... Hospitals have generators, which means you can enjoy electricity and charge your gadgets!

KeirasMom 10-28-2012 09:44 AM

I'm used to the earthquakes out here, but I'm sending all my best thoughts for those of you dealing with Sandy.

krow134 10-28-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16042765)
I'd like to bet that chances are slim, but if they don't close the agency I may feel obliged to go. It has only been 4 years out of the last 12 that I have not been employed by a hospital and hospitals don't care if the sky is falling and the ground is quaking. You better be there and plan to stay there for a day or 2. The upside... Hospitals have generators, which means you can enjoy electricity and charge your gadgets!

the one I worked at ages ago would send out the local reserves in hum-v's to pick you up if you couldnt drive in!!!

Kissa 10-28-2012 09:58 AM

:aprayer: for all of you in Sandy's path.

Be safe.

cici52 10-28-2012 10:00 AM

Prayers for safety, all you having to deal with this. Hope you will let us know as soon as you are able.

Carly 10-28-2012 10:12 AM

The winds are really picking up! We made a trip for extra cat litter and cat food. We will go out one last time at 4pm to gas up the other car and vist the ATM. Maybe eat out if the weather is not too bad... it is an UD after all:hyst:

cici52 10-28-2012 10:19 AM

Wouldn't restaurants be sending their employees home?

Curvesgal 10-28-2012 10:47 AM

I'm prepared but won't be able to rest until my DH gets home from work very late tonight. He will be at the top of the Empire State Building working on the transmitter for Channel Five (Fox). We had bad flooding from hurricane Irene last August and expect this one to be worst (ugh). Power will be out. My gas tank is filled and have cash on hand in case we need to head to higher grounds.

Carly 10-28-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cici52 (Post 16042895)
Wouldn't restaurants be sending their employees home?

It's going to hit here later tonight or early tomorrow. The restaraunt will be trying to sell as much food as possible before they lose power and it all spoils.

Carly 10-28-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curvesgal (Post 16042947)
I'm prepared but won't be able to rest until my DH gets home from work very late tonight. He will be at the top of the Empire State Building working on the transmitter for Channel Five (Fox). We had bad flooding from hurricane Irene last August and expect this one to be worst (ugh). Power will be out. My gas tank is filled and have cash on hand in case we need to head to higher grounds.

:aprayer: for you and DH.

piratejenny 10-28-2012 04:20 PM

We're pretty much resigned to losing power for a while. Our local power company is telling us to prepare for 7-10 days. :(

Last year we lost power for 6 days TWICE...once for Irene, once for some other storm. And we also had "microbursts" and 3 trees fell on my house/driveway and smashed my car. Somehow, my roof was not too damaged?!! But I'm more than a little scared about this coming storm. I live in the country and am SURROUNDED by trees.

We live on a very steep hill (which I hate in the winter), and there's a lake at the bottom of it, so the chances of our house getting flooded are just about zero (basement might get a bit wet; it's never been too bad, though).

We have a well, so when the power goes out we lose our water, too. That is a hassle. But there's a spring at the bottom of the hill, and we can get drinking water there. I put some totes & coolers outside so they fill up with rainwater (for flushing the toilet).

We really have everything we need to live for a week or so without leaving the house, if local roads & bridges get washed out like they did last year.

I'm glad I got into knitting again recently! Will have plenty to keep DS & me busy. :)

Hoping everyone & all your loved ones stay safe!!!!!!!!!

PS--I've also heard this "Frankenstorm" called a "Turducken storm". :lol:
(Hope we're still laughing when this all clears up.)

Carly 10-28-2012 04:30 PM

Be safe all my JUDDD Buds in the North East!!!!
Charge everything tonight and let us know how you weathered the storm.

PS- I heard that our California JUDDD Buds had a Sunami watch/ warning...

Oh my, my DW says "G_d don't like ugly" when ever life on earth gets a little :stars:

Carly 10-28-2012 05:35 PM

Just got the text that work will be closed tomorrow. All those who we're betting that I'd be going NOWHERE tomorrow were... Correct!

We went out for an early dinner at 4:30pm. The restaurant was pretty empty and they said they would stop seating people at 6pm. This is a place that does not accept reservations and anytime after 5pm on Th, Fri, Sat or Sun it is a 2 hour wait. Needless to say we don't go but a few times a year. I guess the eve of a hurricane is the time to go.

SICCHI 10-28-2012 05:57 PM

:aprayer: for u all

Carly 10-28-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SICCHI (Post 16043735)
:aprayer: for u all

It's tomorrow there... We're we ok last night?:hyst:
It would be awesome if it worked like that... Right?

sorenkkg 10-28-2012 06:37 PM

Reading this thread is actually very helpful up here too-- they're telling us in southern Ontario to prepare for up to 3 days without power :(

I'm planning washing and then filling BOTH bathtubs, plus all the water bottles we have. I'll defrost some meat, and then not go into the freezers-- hopefully we won't lose power, b/c I have about 5 full size prime rib roasts I don't want to lose if it comes to that.

I think up here, it will be mostly a rain event and a lot of wind, so there might be some local property damage, but :aprayer: for no loss of life, anywhere.

We're making sure our flashlights have batteries/are charged, all our kindles/blackberries/everything is charged, and candles are in easy reach.

Carly 10-28-2012 06:58 PM

Well the tub is now full as well as a lobster pot on the stove. The candles, flashlights, lighter and batteries are all easy to find. We haven't bought any additional perishables in a few days so hopefully we won't lose power, but there is lot in there. In the sceme of things I hope spoiled food will be the worst of it. Everything is charging and this IPad will soon join the laptops and phones. I figure my work laptop can be back up since I have a general rule about no work laptop in the house... It would just be a slippery slope of working all the time if I start that. I will :aprayer: that my Canadian JUDDD Buds will be safe as well.

sunday 10-28-2012 07:48 PM

I am praying for all of you in Sandy's path! :aprayer: :console:

I can't imagine how you feel, but please keep us updated if you have the net and can! I just want to give everyone a big ol' hug. :love: :console::console::console:

piratejenny 10-28-2012 10:27 PM

Hey, another trick I learned recently (after 10 years of outages! :o) is, while you still have power, freeze bottles/containers of water. The big blocks of ice will keep things cool for a while. And when they melt, you have extra drinking water!

Also, turn your fridge/freezer to the coldest setting a day or two ahead of the storm (too late at this point, probably, but info for the future...)

I'm staying up late and enjoying the electricity for as long as possible! :laugh:

Seabreezes 10-28-2012 10:51 PM

:aprayer:Praying for everyone's safety.

It would be nice if all of the storm warnings turned out to be like our tsunami last night! Lots of hype, but no action.

Hugs to ALL:hugs:

LuckyLou 10-29-2012 02:04 AM

Good luck all & stay safe.

Lou xx