Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
JUDDD Calm

This came up on another thread. I thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

So, when you read various JUDDD posts, can you guess - based on the tone and intensity of the answer - how long the poster has been JUDDDing? Take, for example Dawn (KeirasMom): so very close to goal but recognizing that her body is under stress and the best idea for her is to go into semi-maintenance mode until she gets her meds balanced. No screaming, no throwing things, no "But it's not fair! I'm so close to goal!!!" Calmly, rationally, (and, of course, adorably) thinking over her options and making her best choice.

Or consider me. Over and over, going on a two week vacation, attending family reunions, visiting foodie friends. Bouncing up six pounds every month or two. NP. Two or three careful DDs will take care of it.

Have you noticed how many of us assure people "JUDDD forgives". Ate the pantry then started on the fridge? JUDDD forgives.

Have you been JUDDDing awhile? Have you noticed a certain mellowness beginning to creep in. Big bounce? Gosh, what caused that? Ah, TOM is on the way. Or maybe I shouldn't have eaten the whole pie....no, on second thought, I enjoyed every bite. It was worth it. Now, back to rotation.

JUDDD Calm is part of the Magic.

Some of it comes, I think, from the rotations. From learning every DD really is followed by an UD. And, however high the ball bounces, at the end of the week it has made progress down the stairs. The rotations give us a level of control that is, frankly, freeing. And, when guilt and fear and dread are gone, calm and peace come washing in.

Also, and this is important, apparently IF/Calorie Restriction stimulates the brain to release dopamine. Look it up. Happy making. Calm making. Clear thinking making.

I can honestly say I am happier and calmer on JUDDD than I have, I think, ever been before. Another NSV. Another reason I would keep JUDDDing even if weight was not an issue.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
as always Nancy. I didn't really think about it that way. I wonder if there's a certain period of time it takes to get there, or if it's totally individual. You and I (and several others) have been at it for so long, I wonder if WE could even pinpoint when it happened for us.

I think my "calm" came in stages. Once I got there, I felt a little bit more free to do things like try a weekend off, or try a month of maintenance. With each passing day, week, month, the calm and peace grow.

Great topic!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
May 2014: Still maintaining; taking a stab at HDE/IE
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Nancy and Dawn who posted faster than I did!

Not only a good post, a great post. I think it is the freeing aspect, no guilt feelings that make this way of eating so special.

Last edited by Seabreezes; 10-26-2012 at 11:46 AM..
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
This is, for me, why this is the first time I have ever thought, on a diet plan, "I think I could be able to do this the rest of my life."
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
s I can only add that I think it does take a while for the effect to totally kick in.
there's also chemistry vs emotion/brain aspect to this, so while there are physical changes, it still takes a while for our brains and hearts to be convinced, to let go of past failures and embrace that indeed, we might have found what works for US.

I always said (in defending LC for 8+yrs) that each person needs to find what works for them (followed with, so get off my @$$ please, this is working for me...).

I guess its like Love you know it when you find it, and it just feels right.

s.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #6

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
The sense of peace and calm, the freedom to embrace all the wonderful food I love, the joy of cooking again. All of this has happened to me over the past year, at different times.

Quote:
IF/Calorie Restriction stimulates the brain to release dopamine. Look it up.
This I did not know, I am not much of an investigator. But my body knew it. I am almost always a happy person but this year I have felt wonderful. I have put it down in part to the support I find here from all of you.

I wish I could tell the whole world about this wonderful lifestyle.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
It's happened here too. I have been thinking about trying to drop a couple of extra pounds before the holidays, so I can enjoy a bit more. But it's such a relaxed, maybe I will, maybe I won't kind of thing I almost don't recognize myself. I can be pretty, er, intense, when I get a mind to do something. Rather goal driven. So this is weird.

And I have learned to trust JUDDD, and to trust my body. There are times I'm just hungry. If it's true hunger, I eat, but I'm usually able to make good choices.. If there are consequences to that, I take care of it when whatever is going on passes. And it always passes, usually followed by a time of lesser hunger.

My biggest issue right now is salt cravings (I have low bp, so I'm sure it's related). While the bag of potato chips isn't the best way to get it, it's usually what I pick. But even that passes, and I'll go for awhile without 'needing' that salt fix. I just allow the calories for it when I do it, and limit it to a handful, rather than the whole bag, and that's that.

I've gotten rid of anything in a size 10 because I have no intention of ever being that size again. I still haven't been able to get rid of the 8's, but it's coming. What makes it harder is I really LIKED the clothes I had that size, even though most came from the thrift store. LOL

I think it takes a good 4 mos to get over the 'waiting for the bottom to fall out' feeling to go away. And it took me a good 6 mos on maintenance to really chill out about the whole thing and just relax, rotate, and rejoice.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #8

Tina, as always.

Quote:
when I do it, and limit it to a handful, rather than the whole bag, and that's that.
This is an almost unbelievable comment to most of us who have never had a 'normal' relationship with foo.

It is another part of that JUDDD magic.

Oh and wave bye bye to those nice size 10s.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
This thread is so helpful to me. I appreciate all of you sharing how you've felt through your months doing JUDDD.

At 7 weeks now, I love JUDDD and intend to stick with it. I can't say I've felt the peace you all are describing yet, and relieved to hear that I can expect it to come when the time is right. Maybe not so far in the future. I'm really excited to get to each stage as it comes. And hearing your experiences encourages me to stay the course. All in good time.

Thank you, Nancy. This was exactly the right post, at the right time for me.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #10

LCG, it is wonderful watching your progress. And I love how kind you are to all the Newbies.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
For me it's not something I can name, measure or label, but just a general sense of well-being and during the moments that things are not totally "well"- it's knowing they will be. Not just with my weight or with food, but it infiltrates much deeper. This WOE really exemplifies "just for today" or "one day at a time". I can do anything for a day.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Thanks so much, Cindy! I'm just following all of your great examples.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Very interesting thoughts, Nancy.

I've found that with this WOE I'm thinking long-term and not looking for instant results. There is for me no obsessing over every fraction of a pound. And for the first time I'm looking to the holidays without thinking about how I'll gain back anything I've lost.

Calming. Yeah. That's a good way to describe it.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/169; 5'6", 52 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
I'm sorta thinking I'm getting to the point of the JUDDD calm. Then I go 10 days without losing (once again), and then start to panic. I'm in that panic mode now, preaching to myself that this too shall pass. (I seem to lose in chunks, about every 10-14 days.)

I measured my hips and found I lost 1/2" in a couple of days. No weight loss on the scale, but the hips got smaller. I'd rather have smaller hips any day.
Even at 4 months of this, I'm not as calm as I'd like to be. My family laughs cause JUDDD seems to work so good for me. I wish I had as much faith in it as they do.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Some of it comes, I think, from the rotations. From learning every DD really is followed by an UD. And, however high the ball bounces, at the end of the week it has made progress down the stairs. The rotations give us a level of control that is, frankly, freeing. And, when guilt and fear and dread are gone, calm and peace come washing in.
This part so perfectly states it for me. Thank you!
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
...Even at 4 months of this, I'm not as calm as I'd like to be. My family laughs cause JUDDD seems to work so good for me. I wish I had as much faith in it as they do.
1) I am quite sure it took longer than four months for me to start trusting and feeling so amusingly relaxed about losing...and living.

2) If the inches are leaving, the pounds will follow. Congratulations, you now know more about your own metabolism than you probably did before!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Great post Nancy~ I love this~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
What a lovely thread to read after such a long day. Thank you to all the veterans for sharing your experiences and thoughts, it has been very helpful to me!

Such a wonderful lifestyle, I kinda feel like I became part of a secret club or something. Like, I finally figured out the secret handshake and now I'm "one of them". Nuthin like feeling like one of the cool kids on the playground!

You ladies are simply the BEST!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Thank you Nancy! I feel great while following JUDDD and your post summarized it perfectly.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
I know the last input to this was October, but maybe this JUDDD calm is why ALL of you are sooo nice and supportive. Other board aren't like this.

Arlene
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
Great Post Nancy. I feel the JUDD calm coming on just knowing tomorrow is a DD and I am looking forward to it.
Debrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LuckyLou
Stats: 205/185/...
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: Late Aug 2012
Yup, the JUDDD calm has definitely helped me really and truly enjoy the last few days- and not in an eat-all-I-possibly-can way.

Firstly it brings calm because it's like a safety valve..... It's ok, there's a DD tomorrow or the day after...

Secondly it is slowly bringing me calm around food... Hmmm, I'm still stuffed after dinner so even thouh everyone else is having dessert/supper/coffee, I'm ok for now...

Magic JUDDD calm... It has changed my life in such a positive, wonderful way.
LuckyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
as always Nancy. I didn't really think about it that way. I wonder if there's a certain period of time it takes to get there, or if it's totally individual. You and I (and several others) have been at it for so long, I wonder if WE could even pinpoint when it happened for us.

I think my "calm" came in stages. Once I got there, I felt a little bit more free to do things like try a weekend off, or try a month of maintenance. With each passing day, week, month, the calm and peace grow.

Great topic!
Re-reading this, I thought I should add, for me, JUDDD Calm in no way diminishes my drive to attain and maintain weight loss. It just makes living it so much more pleasant.

Arlene, I think you are correct. Isn't this a supportive, nice place? Part of the reason is the calm, I am sure.

I think, also, part of the reason is as we compare eating notes, as we enthusiastically run tests on various hacks and WOEs, JUDDD teaches us one size really does not fit all. A food that works amazingly well for one person, stalls another and causes a gain for a third. Two people, same height/weight/age/exercise level may find they have vastly different caloric needs - something fundamental is different. Yes, I am talking about both losing weight and gaining health.

JUDDD is all about finding your own fundamental needs. Once you get there...golly, I've cycled around to Calm again haven't I?

I am almost a year into JUDDD, and I kn

Last edited by gotsomeold; 12-26-2012 at 03:54 AM..
Old 12-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #24
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/190/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I'm so glad someone bumped this up! I've only been JUDDDing for one month now (as of Monday), and Christmas was my first real test of this calmness. I stepped on the scale this morning, just so I'd have an idea of what two UD's in a row would do to me, and it was a yikes moment. But I've seen so many of you vets talk about how forgiving JUDDD is, and how a few DD's will take care of this bump, that I feel calm about it and I'm ready for JUDDD to work it's magic.

You all are so genuinely helpful and comforting.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
I'm so glad someone bumped this up! I've only been JUDDDing for one month now (as of Monday), and Christmas was my first real test of this calmness. I stepped on the scale this morning, just so I'd have an idea of what two UD's in a row would do to me, and it was a yikes moment. But I've seen so many of you vets talk about how forgiving JUDDD is, and how a few DD's will take care of this bump, that I feel calm about it and I'm ready for JUDDD to work it's magic.

You all are so genuinely helpful and comforting.
I so totally agree with you on this. Everything is OK, JUDDD is here and will carry me through!

Arlene
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
What great timing for this thread. Many good thoughts. Thanks Nancy, for the original thread and Wildflower, for bumping.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I love this thread as well. I am losing inches too, but not that many lbs. It will come.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
This is, for me, why this is the first time I have ever thought, on a diet plan, "I think I could be able to do this the rest of my life."
Agreed

And for me, the first diet plan that has taken me below my high school set point with ease (post menopausal I might add) The calm feeling is a delightful side effect. I'm devoted to JUDDD more and more with every passing week.
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Nancy: This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it. One part of the calm is actually looking forward to getting back to JUDD after the holidays or the "carnival" as you call it. LOL! Who ever thought we could look forward to getting back on our diet instead of feeling out of control and continuing the overeating day after day because we gave up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
What a lovely thread to read after such a long day. Thank you to all the veterans for sharing your experiences and thoughts, it has been very helpful to me!

Such a wonderful lifestyle, I kinda feel like I became part of a secret club or something. Like, I finally figured out the secret handshake and now I'm "one of them". Nuthin like feeling like one of the cool kids on the playground!

You ladies are simply the BEST!
Danielle: How I love this post! And I totally agree. This is the best "club" ever to belong to!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote