Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
One year later . . . and what I've learned.

Last year on October 24, 2011, I decided to take control of my weight. I was out of control, and had been obese for at least a decade, with several failed attempts at weight loss over the years. I don't know what clicked this time, but I knew I was going to win the battle.

I started with Atkins for the first 6 weeks, then switched to JUDDD, and I love it.

My first goal was to get to onederland before my 40th birthday. Check.
My ultimate, I-know-it'll-never-happen-but-I'm-going-to-try-anyway goal, was to lose 100 pounds in a year. Almost made it.
My initial "final" goal was 175 pounds, but I've since lowered that to 160 pounds, as I still see plenty of room for improvement on this old bod.

Starting weight: 277.6
Current weight: 181.2
Goal weight: 160

Starting BMI: 41%
Current BMI: 26.8%
Goal BMI: 23.6%

Starting size: 28, 3XL
Current size: 14, L-XL
Goal size: 10? 8? I guess I'll know when I get there.

I did not get to 100 pounds lost in one year. I am sitting happily at 96.4 pounds lost. I have a little over 21 pounds to go, but I'm not setting a time limit. I'd be content if I just maintained this loss, but with JUDDD, I know I'll reach my final goal at some point. If it takes me another year, that's fine. I don't think it will, but I'm enjoying the ride, and learning all the wonderful things this WOE is teaching me.

I have learned that carbs are not evil ~ at least for me. I don't have any carb-sensitivities, and can eat bread and pasta if I want it.

I have learned that portion sizes DO matter, even on an UD. I have to track my UDs just as closely as my DDs.

I have learned that, for me, rotations are important. I'm not at the point yet where I can throw in MDs wherever I want, or do multiple UDs in a row. The couple of times I've done it, I've had gains.

I have also learned that if I DO decide to have a weekend off, I can deal with the gain, and it will go away soon enough with good rotations. I get to make the decision whether or not it's worth the extra effort to take off the gain ~ more often than not, I decide it's NOT worth it to me.

I have learned that it's okay to take maintenance breaks, to allow myself a little bit of freedom, as long as I don't throw in the towel completely. I CAN go back to lower calorie DDs if I decide to move higher for a little while to avoid diet fatigue.

I have learned that the number on the scale DOES mean a lot to me, but it's not indicative of the whole process. There's so much more going on in our bodies than what is reflected on the scale from one day to the next.

I have learned to trust in the process. If I do the rotations and follow my calorie limits both days, I WILL lose weight. I don't need to tweak the plan, but I DO need to follow it.

I have learned to put all my foods into my online tracker BEFORE I eat them. Even after a year, I can underestimate the calories in items I don't regularly consume.

I have learned to measure and weigh my foods, instead of eye-balling or guestimating. I can look at something and think it looks like a cup, and then measure and find out it's nearly twice that.

I have learned to come here, to LCF, and specifically the JUDDD forum, for tons of advice, support, and love. I would not do well if I didn't come here often.

I have learned that I'm worth the effort. I deserve to meet my goals. I deserve to see my child grow into a beautiful, self-sufficient, amazing woman. I deserve to have many more years with my amazing husband.

I have learned that the people in my life who are toxic do not need to a part of my life. I have cut them out as much as possible, and I'm better for it.

This journey has been long, and not always easy, but has been so worthwhile, and has taught me so much. It isn't all about food, or emotional baggage, or health issues, and relationships; rather it's an intertwined, convoluted blending of all that, and so much more. At least for me, it's all related, and I'm learning to separate the knotted strings, smooth them out, and regain my life as I want to live it.

Thank you all for being part of my journey, and for bearing with my ramblings and musings. When I think where I was a year ago, it seems like a lifetime ago. I was a different person then. You've all helped me to grow and learn and thrive.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
Congratulations!!! That's amazing. I look forward to my one year anniversary and can only hope to be as successful as you. You're an inspiration.

Well done!!!
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
oh, Dawn,
how beautiful, insightful and heartfelt.
I am inspired.
I am printing this to re~read as needed.
Many hugs and blessings, birthday & JUDDD BUDDD.
Pat.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Wow, Dawn, congrats on the just-about-100lbs lost and your 1-year journey!

I have such respect for how diligent you've been with this woe. You've been so inspirational for me and for others, and are such a great example of how to work JUDDD and let it work for you. I'm nodding right along with so much of your list of things learned. I really hope others (particularly those just starting out) will read this and get the motivation to take control and trust in this way of eating.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #5

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Well we don't have an Anniversay smilie!

I love your detailed story of your successful journey Dawn. Such an inspiration for us all.

I will follow you in a day or so! But I won't be able to put it as well.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #6

Lots of anniversaries happening about the same time! Happy JUDDD-iversary Vilanteira! Happy just-about JUDDD-iversary Cindy!

It just goes to show how do-able this WOE is, that so many of us stick with it for a long time. My JUDDD-iversary isn't until December 12, but I'm looking forward to seeing if I can be in my size 12 slacks by then!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Thank you, thank you, thank you! For your inspiration and caring sharing. You do deserve all the best.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #8

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
You are a true inspiration. I always look forward to reading your posts!
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
I don't even know what JUDD IS, and I thought this was a wonderful post that can be applied to any plan. The way you learned to take care of yourself, be honest with food and eliminate toxic people - those are all SO key, I think.

Congratulations on your success!
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lil Donna
Stats: 165.2 (highest) 150.2 (11/30/13)
WOE: LC
Start Date: Low carb started again on 11/14/13
I appreciate your story. As a newbie I need all the inspiration as I can get and your weight loss and size drops are definitely uplifting especially while I nibble on every kernel of my 100 calorie bag of popcorn on my down day.
Lil Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post

I have learned that I'm worth the effort. I deserve to meet my goals. I deserve to see my child grow into a beautiful, self-sufficient, amazing woman. I deserve to have many more years with my amazing husband.

I have learned that the people in my life who are toxic do not need to a part of my life. I have cut them out as much as possible, and I'm better for it.
You are amazing!!! Love this - it's all so true! You totally deserve health, happiness, and success in everything!
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kh155
Stats: 247.8/245.8/155 (to start) 5'7" 52 yo
Start Date: April 10/13
BRAVO!
You are most definitely an inspiration to those of us starting out.
kh155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gello5440
WOE: Low Carb - Atkins
Start Date: October 2010
Proud and happy to read this. Your journey is a wonderful story of challenges met and overcome. I look forward to reading more as you continue your success.
Gail
gello5440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post

This journey has been long, and not always easy, but has been so worthwhile, and has taught me so much. It isn't all about food, or emotional baggage, or health issues, and relationships; rather it's an intertwined, convoluted blending of all that, and so much more. At least for me, it's all related, and I'm learning to separate the knotted strings, smooth them out, and regain my life as I want to live it.

Thank you all for being part of my journey, and for bearing with my ramblings and musings. When I think where I was a year ago, it seems like a lifetime ago. I was a different person then. You've all helped me to grow and learn and thrive.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Dawn, you are perfectly named: it may not always be easy but you bring light and the joy of new beginnings where ever you go.

Thank YOU for allowing me the privilege of sharing this journey!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Dawn, I was hoping you would do a post like this when you mentioned earlier today that you'd been losing for a year today. Thank you so much for this post. In reading this, I can see myself in just about 10 more months. I feel very committed to JUDDDing, in part because of your great posts, results, and encouragement.

You deserve all the best, and you have earned this victory. Revel in it!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
cheers to a fine year in your life and increasing blessings for each year to come!

everything I have seen of you makes me love you big hugs!!
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 185/171.6/155 - 5'5
WOE: Stillman's*
Wow what an amazing year for you and incredible transformation!!!

You are truly an inspiration!!!

Congrats!!
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: becksterinindy
You are one of the main reasons I decided to try JUDDD ... of course I have only had 1 DD and the thought of doing it again tomorrow is rather scary. I want to be a success like you though so I will try to hang in here.

You are AMAZING
becksterinindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #19

Gee, thank you everyone! Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can (barring physical reasons that won't allow it, of course)! I was the poster child for trying different plans and doing well for a few months and then caving and going off plan. I would gain it all back and then some. Sound familiar? I think most of us have BTDT! That's about where I was with Atkins, for the umpteenth time, when I found JUDDD. There's something really special about the every-other-day thing. It's hard to start, but it gets easier and easier. Yes, there are still the odd rough day here and there, but mostly they're easy and fulfilling. In the past, I couldn't even imagine getting to maintenance, and would be so afraid that if I did hit my goal weight, I'd just put the weight right back on. I don't have that fear with JUDDD. Maintenance is built right in. It doesn't get better than that!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
An inspiration..... Amazing .... I totally agree with all of the above!

Dawn, congratulations on your awesome achievements over the last 12 months.

And thank you for sharing your journey and insights here. I know you've helped many people and will inspire many more to stick with it and see their own results.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
Great post!
congrats on your success and thank you for sharing with us!
You are such an amazing JB.
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I don't even know what to say! I think you're a tremendous inspiration, a source of knowledge, and a fountain of fun!
I'm so happy that the internet and the universe conspired to bring me here this year, and I've gotten to witness part of your journey, be a small part of it along with everyone here, and learn about and benefit from JUDDD myself as well!

Thank you for your comments, sharing your menus, explaining all of your interesting food choices , and living a public life so that we can all benefit and realize we are not alone in this particular struggle, that it does get easier, and you can pick up a stray dog and have her be part of the family instantaneously

Cheers to you and taking charge of your year! Can't wait to see where the next 12 months brings you
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Wonderful post, Dawn.

Almost every single thing you said applies to me too. Except for the part where you usually decide it's not worth the gain. Anytime I go anywhere, I apparently think it's worth it :P
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee55
Stats: 198/194.4/160
Start Date: September 1, 2012
What an inspiration for all of us that are just beginning our weight loss journey. I hope that in one year from now I will be as successful as you have been.

Lee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Dawn... Your post was beautiful. I certainly identify with the things you learned through your amazing journey.

I think you should print it, frame it, and hang it where you will see it everyday! (alongside a beautiful picture of YOU!!!)

Love you sweet budd

Phyl
gotitnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Oh, Dawn, I am so happy for you and agree with everything you stated so beautifully. You have such wonderful determination and are so giving to all of us here. When you hit 100 lbs lost you will have to post another before and after/during (even if Keira is stategically placed in the before pic).
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
You have done so awesome!!! So proud of you!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
We can all aspire to the peace ... and results.... that you have earned in this important past year. Kudos!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WantToBeSlim
Stats: 219.25/174/147
Start Date: October 1st 2012
96.4 lost is amaaaaazing you have done so well! That is a huge achievement.

This is such a great post for newbies to read and also people who are already JUDDDing but maybe feeling things aren't going to plan . I'm sure it will help people to keep on keeping on with the JUDDD
WantToBeSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Wonderful post, Dawn.

Almost every single thing you said applies to me too. Except for the part where you usually decide it's not worth the gain. Anytime I go anywhere, I apparently think it's worth it :P
ditto
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote