Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Food choices - blowing my MIND!

I just had to share this with the JBs

This past weekend, I had a few hours where I was just mentally frozen, and this is why.

I realized that I can eat anything I want to.

What I mean is-- I figured out when I started JUDDD that I could have the occaisional meal out and eat whatever (on an UD... more carefully on a DD).
I didn't have to watch my carbs necessarily (I do, still, but vary widely in carb counts from near 0 to 150+ on a given day; which I still think is better than the "average north american"... but I digress).

What BLEW my mind was-- I can *make* anything I want, right in my own house.

Before I switched to LC, I was making sushi at home. I was making my own pasta, my own whole wheat pizza crust, german chocolate cake with the full-on gooey frosting, apple tart with home-made almond paste... the foodie/gourmet list goes on and on.

LC helped me a lot, and I do believe in a lot of the principles.

So part of the mind-blowing was me trying to reconcile everything in my head.

Like, I don't necessarily want to keep full-carb (sugar, flour, starch) foods in the house regularly, AND I have a huge collection of LC baking mixes waiting to be used up....

But I'm slowly realizing I can have pasta (for now, dreamfields, or my homemade soy flour fresh pasta if I feel like it) and it's not a CHEAT.

I can make my grandmother's Marble Cake (using flour and *sugar* !!!) now and then (still mostly then, and I actually made it for my cousin and left the cake at her house), and have some, and it won't *kill me*.

I've been buying sushi out and eating it pretty regularly-- no ill effect on the weight loss.
Maybe I bust out the rice maker again and make some now and then... gasp!

I think I may be stating the obvious and I'm sure I'm not really explaining how weird I feel about this, but it's taken me almost 6 months to even begin to assimilate this concept.

Does anyone know what I mean?

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Soren, this is an exciting post. I can't say I know what you mean....yet....but I am getting glimpses of it here and there. I'm so looking forward to eating holiday treats, and I hope by then I'll be where you are mentally, and won't feel horribly guilty eating the full flour/sugar versions of traditional family eats.

How exciting! Thanks for sharing this. I needed to hear it, and now know I'll have that epiphany at some point too! Wheeeeee!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I jumped in with both feet and felt the liberation immediately. I'm glad you're learning that it doesn't have to be all or nothing, and that it's "okay" to have a wider variety, and eat whatever works with your body and your particular needs. Isn't it wonderful??
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/173/120
WOE: JUDDD
YES!!

I spent years leaning toward being a vegan (for ethical reasons) before I realized I was going to have to do Atkins if I wanted to live, nothing but drastic carb control was going to work for me, and that I didn't have the ability personally to maintain my vegan persuasion AND do Atkins. I apologized mentally to the animals but my health had to come first.

I did that for years, eating animals sort of against my will on Atkins, but health improving is hard to argue with.

Then a few months ago, I started doing JUDDD, but kept to my lc roots for the most part. I was getting too hungry to stick to my calorie numbers otherwise - though that seems to be changing as time goes on.

For the past week or so, I've been slowly realizing that I *can* lean toward the veggie end of the scale if I so choose. Like you, I still have low-carb lifestyle choices embedded in my daily habits...but for the past 3 UDs (except yesterday), I ate things like squash and kidney bean burritos. Hm. And nothing happened, I didn't break.

Yesterday's UD I was on the road and terrible food choices happened. I had jalapeno poppers, grapes and pretzels for lunch, if that tells you anything...

...and last night I went to McD's and had a 1/4 pounder meal (for the first time in years!) and enjoyed it immensely for all its unforgivableness. Did I eat all the fries? Not even close. Did I drink a sugary soda? No. Did I have a few spoonfuls of a hot fudge sundae afterwards? Yep. Until I didn't want anymore. I *wanted* to stop long before I got to the end of the sundae, which is historically unprecedented in my life. Before JUDDD, I mean. Now it's actually normal for me, happens all the time.

Sorry for the novel, I just got so excited. I'd say it's good to be "normal" (in terms of food, at least) again, but there is no "again" for me. This is the first time in my life.

And it's about time!!

Lynne

500/2000 until the end of the challenge with NO TWEAKS.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lynne, Dawn, and LCG!

I did consider McD's this past weekend too... I did have a can of chef boyardee and of course, it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be, but I still lost a 1/2lb over the course of the weekend (and there were other food atrocities that day... well, maybe not *atrocities*)

I'm sitting in front of a Betty Crocker cookbook, picking things to make to give as gifts for the holidays. I still don't want to eat anything with corn syrup in it, but I know that licking the bowl won't kill me.

I bought a Cooking Light magazing for the FIRST TIME in my life, b/c I was like, um, hey, there are some medium-level carb and lower calorie recipes in there that might be interesting for us, now that DH has joined me...

(ah-ha moment-- it's the fact that DH is on JUDDD now, that's what's different! I don't have to maintain strict LC cooking for him anymore... just figured that out!).

I still think that dishes based around rice and pasta are about filling up for cheap, but the whole world of cooking just opened up and shone it's bright light one me (cue the angels singing ) and I'm STILL just sitting here dazed
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Yes!!!!

But...I have to say I struggle internally with knowing that what I want ain't necessarily good for me. I try to stay mainly low carb, but knowing that nothing is really off limits on JUDDD is - for me - both a good and not so good thing. So, when I do have a cookie or piece of cake, I try to not overdo. Makes it easier knowing I can have it and not shovel it in like it'll be months before I have another piece!

A cook I'm not, so I like something easy to grab when I get hungry. For me, that equals something carby. So, I try to stick with full fat things on a DD and save any carbiness for the UD. I still wish I could make low carb a complete lifestyle for myself. But - I know myself.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Wow, Soren, that's powerful
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
epiphany!! love it

soren---would you share your recipe/process for homemade almond paste? it is on my list for holidays and I would dearly love it if you shared your experience please please
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

BLou I take no credit, it's a great recipe I found on epicurious. If you go there and look for the French Apple-Almond tart (from oct 1997), the whole thing was pretty easy and was a HUGE hit. You can separate out the almond paste part to use separately I'm sure.

I wouldn't say it's full marzipan, in that I don't think it can be molded and shaped like marzipan can, but for baking, it was delish!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I know exactly what you mean! I am a gourmet cook and really missed making all the stuff, and I am still getting my head around that fact too. And I have been JUDDDING since January.

I still don't think to have an apple or a carrot...weird, isn't it...

Soren-if, like me, you like a challenge, look up canneles, or caneles. There's a whole world of obsession around them, oh, and French macarons...
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I had a Reeces Peanut Butter Cup today (1) and I didn't die!!!
It was O.K., but I think it may be a while before I have one again, not because it is off limits, but I just didn't enjoy it that much. Other things like pasta and salsa and chips I have allowed myself for some time now on UDs. It is very freeing. The "no-off-limits-list" is my favorite part of JUDDD.

to the dark side!!!!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I still don't think to have an apple or a carrot...weird, isn't it...

Soren-if, like me, you like a challenge, look up canneles, or caneles. There's a whole world of obsession around them, oh, and French macarons...
Oh good grief-- I seriously did NOT know these existed, and now they're on my radar and looks like something I can make AND I happen to have non-leavening cake flour (don't ask how old it is... I just used it, it's fine...) in the house.

I feel baking coming on... wonder if this would work in a mini bundt silicone pan?

I'm not a fan of macarons for some reason though... I see them charging a bundle for them all over the world (I saw a store devoted to them in the Hong Kong airport, this summer ) and I'm like, it's an eggwhite sandwich cookie, in color? no?

re: apples and carrots. I KNOW RIGHT? I still haven't bought an apple. I like apples, but I just don't even go near the bin.

DH suggested we go apple picking (season almost over here though) and I just about died! I haven't yet bought ONE apple, and he was suggesting we get about 20 pounds of them (b/c really, when you go apple picking, have you ever come home with less than 4 full grocery bags?).
Old 10-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I had a Reeces Peanut Butter Cup today (1) and I didn't die!!!
It was O.K., but I think it may be a while before I have one again, not because it is off limits, but I just didn't enjoy it that much. Other things like pasta and salsa and chips I have allowed myself for some time now on UDs. It is very freeing. The "no-off-limits-list" is my favorite part of JUDDD.

to the dark side!!!!
Thanks Carly! Like I needed an invitation to come back LOL

isn't it always true though-- the thing you thought would be awesome, is usually just "eh".
I'll say 8/10. Sometimes, they're totally awesome but usually, not. I do want to maybe get some of those micro mini RPCs, they look cute. And the m&ms with pretzel inside? Just b/c I've never had them...

Oy... dark side indeed!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
I am right there with you Soren! Not long after starting JUDDD, I remember having a conversation with myself about what I really LIKE to eat. I mean, I know the traditional dieting world food of what I'm supposed to eat and then I know what food I like to eat as my go-crazy cheat food (Taco Bell), but it is so weird that I can have anything (without guilt) on my UDs. Such a crazy concept! I really had to think about what kind of meals I could cook at home and it has been so much fun!

Congrats on your newfound freedom! You should totally make that marble cake and eat some. It sounds awesome!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post

I think I may be stating the obvious and I'm sure I'm not really explaining how weird I feel about this, but it's taken me almost 6 months to even begin to assimilate this concept.

Does anyone know what I mean?

No, I totally get it. and even after a couple of months at it, I still find myself in sort of mental paralysis over trying to figure out what I *really want* on an Up day. I have to keep reminding myself that if I end up picking something that was just okay, I'll still have more chances to pick again in 36 hours.

Personally, while I haven't yet blown a DD over some treat that I kept after a UD, I'm not comfortable with keeping sweets and/or snack foods on the shelves. I did keep a pie in the fridge for my birthday week, and ate it on two UDs then threw out a third of the pie because it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. But I'm still not quite at the "I can keep anything around here" stage.

It's an interesting mental exercise!

"I don’t believe in optimism. I believe in optimal behavior. That's a different thing . . . Action is hope. . . . It doesn’t matter how good it is, or how bad - you did it.

--Ray Bradbury, R.I.P.
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
The difference between 'knowing' and 'knowing' is the difference between accepting-in-theory and trusting. Isn't the transition FUN?

Real, real French Macarons ... I have to disagree with you there Soren. To my mind there are certain macarons and caramels and truffles that (a) eating just one should take at least five minutes, and (b) if given one, I will gobble/savor/experience even on a DD.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
full-on gooey frosting
*wakes up, finds drool on keyboard*
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
The difference between 'knowing' and 'knowing' is the difference between accepting-in-theory and trusting. Isn't the transition FUN?
snip.
I believe you nailed it here, Nancy Although I've been two months clean on this WOE, I'm just now beginning to trust the rotations will not fail, as so many other 'diets' have in the past for me.

Cheers!
~Pamela
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Nancy and PJ

So, I tried a little experiment today. I keep candy at my desk at the office for other folks.
I've done this for 7.5 yrs, and have NEVER had a piece of the candy, no matter what it is.

Today, I looked up the cals for a mini tootsie pop (3 for 50, btw), since my last candy batch has a bunch of those in there, and I loved the full size ones as a kid.

I had a lollipop. Raspberry. Haven't had full-on CANDY since maybe 2002.

I just don't know what to do with myself! (except, maybe, brush my teeth isn't being an adult a PAIN sometimes?)

I don't want to overdo it, so I'll have to think about this a bit.... maybe buy an apple?

S.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Apples were my first foray into the forbidden.

Tonight it will be hot fudge sauce on my low carb ice cream.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oooooohhhh... fudge sauce. I wish you the best Steph!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
O! M! G!
It sucks to be diabetic amongst you JUDDDers!

(I'm so happy for y'all, really...but, man, do I miss FROSTING!!!)
(And, yes, I'm too lazy/flatulent to make sugar-free versions! )
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
(And, yes, I'm too lazy/flatulent to make sugar-free versions! )
LOL

My favorite frosting is 1/2 butter, 1/2 cream cheese, some splenda and vanilla. There you go! no flattulence!

candy is nice, but if I bust out the bread machine, or my pasta maker (or omg, my ravioli tray????)...

I. Just. Can't. Fathom. It.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:

Real, real French Macarons ... I have to disagree with you there Soren. To my mind there are certain macarons and caramels and truffles that (a) eating just one should take at least five minutes, and (b) if given one, I will gobble/savor/experience even on a DD.
I agree with you my twinster! I had my first real French Macaron in Paris 3 years ago, and I was in love. The corner bakery made these perfect little light green pistachio confections made with egg white, icing sugar, ground almonds, and ground pistachios. They were filled with a light luscious filling. Each bite simply melted away on my tongue. Pure heaven.

I do know what you mean Soren. When you love to cook, LC is so limiting. I have also opened by cookbooks looking at my old family recipes and have made lists for the holidays. It's freedom. No other way for me to think about it but pure freedom. Enjoy!!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #25

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
The freedom to cook again was one of the best things to come from JUDDD for me.

Last Christmas I was a new JUDDDer and had, like you, just realised that my turkey dressing didn't need to be low carb. I found old recipes untouched for more than 10 years. Family recipes were used again and I remembered why I loved them.

More JUDDD magic!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You guys are going to think i'm *slow*... but I just realized the following today:

1) I could go eat at any restaurant I see on food network now.

2) I can make the things I see on TV, if I wanted to.

maybe that's a repeat, but it struck me as D'OH as I'm sitting here with food tv in the background while I work (and someone made a roast beef sandwich rolled IN a yorkshire pudding, like it was a wrap! GENIUS)

S.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I do not think it is possible to overstate or repeat too often the freedom JUDDD gives. If you are allergic to it, if it upsets your tummy, if you don't like the taste...don't eat it.

Otherwise, respect your calories, dedicate yourself to rotation, and eat it! Pull out the old family cookbook! Visit Grandma! Make reservations in that favorite restaurant! Run after the food truck waving a handful of money! Sneak into the kid's bedroom late Halloween night and rummage around in the supposedly sealed sack. Go back for seconds! Take the leftovers home, if they are too high-cal for tomorrow, you can eat them day after tomorrow!

And, even though we see this on post after post, quite a few of us take our own sweet (frequently very sweet) time before we realize it is really, truly true. I would hate to have missed those, "Wait a minute! I can eat that and still lose!" moments. Each and every separate "Wow!" was so very special... I still love going to sleep after a really special dinner not worried about the bouncy scale.

It's all magic.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 10-26-2012 at 09:26 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Run after the food truck waving a handful of money!
I'm visualizing us doing this... I even sort of considered it with the last ice cream truck I heard in my neighborhood... then realized the ice cream isn't that good and isn't worth it

Quote:
Sneak into the kid's bedroom late Halloween night and rummage around in the supposedly sealed sack.
Ok, I have to draw the line here. When I was a kid, my dad stole all of my chocolate bars.
In my juvenile OCD, I separated them out from the stash, and he found them and ate ALL OF THEM I'm still p.o.'d about it.

But I'm all for buying whatever chocolate you want, as an adult, b/c you can, and enjoy the heck out of it!

Brought to you by the council to protect children's chocolate.

S.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #29

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
I'm visualizing us doing this... I even sort of considered it with the last ice cream truck I heard in my neighborhood... then realized the ice cream isn't that good and isn't worth it

Ok, I have to draw the line here. When I was a kid, my dad stole all of my chocolate bars.
In my juvenile OCD, I separated them out from the stash, and he found them and ate ALL OF THEM I'm still p.o.'d about it.

But I'm all for buying whatever chocolate you want, as an adult, b/c you can, and enjoy the heck out of it!

Brought to you by the council to protect children's chocolate.

S.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote