Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
How do you plan your meals/days?

Just wondering, how you all plan. Do you eat the same things, do you write everything down? I'm hovering around 169/170, and it's because I'm guessing at my calories. I start out fine and then my ADD kicks in and I can't get to writing stuff down.

I'm trying to plan ahead ...that is my goal for the day. To get a menu plan with calorie counts on paper.

What do you do?

Thanks!
Holly
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
When I first started I used an online calorie counter. I religiously planned UD's and DD's and printed them off. I used those same menus over and over siince I was sure of the calories. Now after almost 10 months I only figure DD's and guestimate the UD's although I still plan what I will be eating.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stepinthyme
Stats: 289/???/190 - 5'-8"
WOE: Low Carb/Counting Calories
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Hi there,

I use one of the online calorie counters (and I also have the phone app for it as well). Sometimes I play around with the menu plan the day before, but usually I plan the day first thing when I get up, based on what I have in the fridge and what activities for the day are. I've been using the calorie counter long enough that I can pretty easily just look back and repeat meals or even a whole day's menu if I want to. I do pay attention to what the food labels themselves say, and I also have entered custom recipes, so things like casseroles or desserts can be accurately tracked.

Hope that helps--I'm sure the rest of the JB's will be chiming in with other ideas...
Old 10-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I agree with the advice you've already been given. Especially if you have ADD, but for any of us (especially in the early weeks of doing JUDDD) planning is the key to success.

We have a plan to succeed in JUDDD and it gives us a great deal of freedom, but it also constrains us to the correct calorie level for weight loss and then maintenance of that loss. (But... isn't that the calorie level we should be eating anyway? Didn't we overeat that number, which is what got us to this place in the first place?) So JUDDD gives us the numbers. We take it from there, either beautifully and successfully.. or poorly and with very poor results.

Planning is a major key to the successful JUDDDers. You plan ahead. Many plan the evening before or the morning of each DD and know at the start of the day just what they will eat, and so they also know how many calories the day will give them. Many of us eat the same things over and over. I used to have about three different DD menus, so I could switch up my DDs as I did them. Never boring. Lately I've been doing the exact same DD every time.. I'm doing my *Eating Every Hour* plan. It works wonderfully to take me successfully through a DD with no hunger and gives me an amazingly nourishing day for so few calories.

The main other part of being successful is actually measuring & weighing out on a kitchen scale, all the foods and portions you will be eating. Just eyeballing and guesstimating the portion sizes of foods is the downfall of folks who could be a great deal more successful if they were more precise. When you measure correctly you can track calories successfully. And that's about all it takes to be.. successful.

Good luck with JUDDD. It's such an easy plan and such a freeing one too. So when you have the correct calorie numbers for you personally (usually the JUDDD Calorie Calculator, but not always..) and when you are careful about the portions and calories, you had better get ready to go shopping for clothing in smaller sizes!

This is the time of year when we get to look ahead and imagine how much slimmer we will be this Holiday Season and how much slimmer we're going to be when spring rolls around again.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I used to plan ahead and write out menus as far as UD's, but not anymore. I write down everything I eat using plan ole' pen, paper and calculator. I keep a running total of what my calories are and how much I have left for the day. So if I want a snack and I have 800 calories left for the day and it is only 5:00, I choose a snack that is relatively low calorie or just tough it out till I eat dinner. Otherwise I'll end up with a snack that is high calorie and a tiny little dinner to carry me through the next day's DD and I don't like doing that.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #6

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I use a free online food tracker every day. I try to plan my DDs ahead carefully. That way I get the most bang for the calorie. On UDs I usually know ahead what I have planned for dinner, so I input that, and then I decide what I can afford for breakfast and lunch. Sometimes I even need to work on getting all the calories in, and use nut and nut butters and cream cheese to fill in those blanks.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I use phone/pc app that sync with each other. I love having saved meals and recipes in there so I know for certain that I am accurate. I plan meals and calculate for the day. I know what dinner will be, enter it, and then budget around that for the rest of the day to get my numbers accurate. I seem to eat everything compulsively in cycles, so for a long while breakfast will always be the same, or lunch is the same at work every day, that kind of thing. I also try to plan the week on weekends and do a big batch of cooking and prep so there are premade leftovers packaged individually to grab and go, recipes ready to dump in crockpot etc.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
UD's I write and calculate everything I eat within my calorie range. On DD I have been eating the cabbage and laughing cow wedges changing out chicken with shrimp for variety. I love this meal, I know the calorie count and its so filling so its what works for me best.
Debrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Which time?
I'm back to JUDDD after some post-op and vacation time. I keep a standard DD menu, but will change that up if I see the DDs are making me want to EAT!

I sound like a broken record to the "oldies", but before my surgery, I wasn't losing and found I wasn't eating enough on my UDs. So, I tracked on the computer/iPhone app to get a handle on how much I should be eating.

After 30 years of dieting, I admit I'm calorie/carb counting-weary. I do make sure my DDs are 500 or less, and keep track of my UD calories mentally (for now).
Old 10-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
For DD's I've found it easiest to eat pre-packaged food with the number of calories written on it. It's more expensive that way but it's one less thing to think about.

When I first started I usually cooked on DD's, and you can usually produce "more" food for the same amount of calories when you cook it yourself...but now I don't really care.

I also find the "bulletproof coffee" is easy to measure calorie-wise, and I just put it in a thermos and that's that.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WantToBeSlim
Stats: 219.25/174/147
Start Date: October 1st 2012
I tend to eat a lot of the same stuff. Something I've always done even when not trying to lose weight. Some people would look at my daily food and think yuk! or too repetitive.

I count everything I eat and drink. I get the info from the packaging the food/drink comes in and use my calculator to work it all out (I'm terrible at adding up!) and I write it down in a note pad to keep a log. I do this on both up and down days.

If I didn't count and just guessed I would go WAY over my allowance. I did not get to nearly 16 stone for no reason, I used to eat way too much and to lose weight I have to count the calories and stop myself when I've had my limit (must admit I've still gone over a few times so far).
WantToBeSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
DDs I have a handful of foods that I use. Usually just a bed time snack so I know the calories really well in those few foods and can mix and match these 5 or so items. I have been blessed to not need to count on UDs anymore, but I know this isn't the case for all. I'm not sure if JUDDD would be as doable for me if I still need to track UDs so carefully, but I guess if it works it is worth it.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
Thanks all for the info. I am just going to have to sit down, and concentrate for a bit and get some things on paper. Thanks!!
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HellInYourEyes
Stats: 165.6/165.6/100
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: 10/28/2013
I use a tracker online. I try to plan out what I'm gonna eat a day in advanced. There's something about seeing it already laid out that helps me not to just go nuts and eat everything!
HellInYourEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I couldn't do this without my online tracker (which also syncs with their app on my phone). I also have to plan my entire day's food at least one day in advance, sometimes more if I know what I want to eat for the next several days. I may then tweak it and sub out one thing for another once I get to that day, but that's easier to do than to figure things out and try to throw something together last minute when I'm already hungry. It really helps to keep me from veering way off in terms of my calorie limits.

Not sure why, but I find it relaxing and fun to enter food into my tracker ahead of time.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I use a tracker that is online and an app, and all my various devices connect back to my one account (there's a few like this). So, no matter if I"m on my blackberry for work, my pc, or my tablet, I'm seeing the same information. Lifesaver for me
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/113.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Can you gals give us your menu for your DD's, those that eat the same things most DD?

Thanks in Advance!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I can--

B: bulletproof tea (most do coffee, but I can't hack that much caffeine)-- 1tsp butter, 1tsp coconut oil, blended in blender, with some sweetener, with hot tea (use massive caution with hot things in the blender). OR, a tea, and butter/coconut oil just eaten straight. Don't laugh.
L: water, usually I'm busy and not hungry. Maybe more tea, plain.
S: maybe, if needed, an ounce or 2 of baby carrots, or 1/2tsp of butter

D: this is where it's the same 1 bag of coleslaw, stir fried with either chicken breast or lean pork, along with 1 bag of tofu shirataki noodles, and hot sauce.

Dessert: liquid almond milk with some davinci, or if I have it, my frozen almond milk (like a sorbet, but with almond milk).

Here's a link to the recipes thread, there's a ton of ideas in there: Down Days recipes ONLY

and the bullet proof coffee, which seems to help a lot of people:
first bullet proof coffee

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #19

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
B: Black coffee. Sometimes that's all, or sometimes I'll have NF Greek yogurt
L: Small Wendy's chili w/habanero hot sauce and diet coke
D: Fish or chicken and veggies, or a Subway salad if I'm out

It varies much more than that, but those are my staples.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
I'm with you ... not counting up days used to work really well for me, which made me happy because I didn't want to count them. Unfortunately, 3 months in my rate of loss slowed down. I started counting up days this month using an online tracker, which is really not so bad. You can save your favorite meals/foods and look up pretty much anything. I'm learning a lot from doing it ... things I think will help me permanently with my food choices, and my rate of loss picked up, so I am thinking it's worth it. Do what you can ... weighing and measuring is most accurate of course, but guesstimating is better than nothing.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Which time?
My staples are pretty much coffee w/cream twice a day and cheap Greek yogurt (strained full-fat Dannon) mixed with a little dry sf jello and some whipped cream (out of a can) and sweetened to taste.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Can you gals give us your menu for your DD's, those that eat the same things most DD?

Thanks in Advance!
My DDs staples are:
B: coffee, creamer, sugar (65 calories but worth it)
D: 6 egg white omelet (we have chickens so we have a lot!), divided in 3s, topped onto 3 rice cakes, all of which are topped with cottage cheese

S: Tiny samples of whatever I'm making for supper for the family (to total 500 calories for the day) or a few candies like Werther's Originals.

I'm intrigued by the bulletproof coffee idea. I might try that tomorrow on my DD. Lately, I'm feeling deprived on my DDs, so I'm probably needing to tweak something. All those egg whites are starting to make me cringe. But they were great for a long while, though.

I write everything down on both UDs and DDs. I don't trust anything to memory. I use a postal scale when in doubt, to weigh my food.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 10-26-2012 at 05:31 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee55
Stats: 198/194.4/160
Start Date: September 1, 2012
My DDs staples are:

B: coffee with cream
L: Cauliflower soup (cauliflower, chicken broth, onions, garlic- blended); bran crispbread; laughing cow.
S: yogurt
D: salad and some kind of protein

I write down everything and try to plan ahead for both UDs and DDs.
Lee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #24

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I chop and change quite a lot now but to start with I made tons of really low calorie vegetable soups which I could eat all day if I fancied something.

It didn't take long to weigh, measure and cook it and by making a huge pot and freezing it I could just relax knowing what the cals were.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Bulletproof coffee in the morning
Salad with a bit of protein for dinner in summer
Veggie soup with a bit of protein as things cool off.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote