Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lil Donna
Stats: 165.2 (highest) 150.2 (11/30/13)
WOE: LC
Start Date: Low carb started again on 11/14/13
So what do you say to friends/coworkers?

One day they see you out to lunch eating an average or more than average meal and then the next day they see you skimping. Do they ask? Do you tell?

Like Atkins, no one believes that you can live with less than 20 carbs a day or that all you eat is bacon and eggs.

Is there a lot of grief given from others about this diet?
Not that I would care what others say but just wanted to know if you deal with this.
Lil Donna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
*IF* I feel I have to say anything (and often, I don't)... I just say I'm doing calorie cycling, and today is a lower calorie day, and I'm having this salad or soup or whatever... or more likely, "no thanks, can't go for lunch today, it's a down day"... I've only explained this to my closest co-workers (been together for 7+yrs now) so they know I was doing LC and now I'm doing this.

But, if I'm planning lunch, I plan it for my UD, and then I eat whatever

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I'm lucky that all my coworkers are pretty great. They know all about my WOE and even try to plan group lunches around it. My boss sometimes has events at her house and will even plan what foods she serves depending on whether or not the event falls on an UD or DD.

When I first started and was eating shiritake noodles (I hardly ever have them anymore), all the guys wanted to try them out. I work in an office with mostly 20-something year old guys, and they are really interested in what and when I'm eating. They are all naturally slender, of course, so they aren't planning to do JUDDD with me, but they are very accepting of my quirks.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I'd think most people would find it easier to understand than HCG, lol. But seriously who cares what they think? You are doing this for your health and yourself.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
If I say anything, I'll just say "I'm watching my calories."
Most people have seen my transition and just go with it.
I don't order lunch or go out with co-workers on DDs for the most part though.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
I wondered about this when I started too, but I've found that no one notices! On an up day you have anything you want, and on a down day, you have something smaller ... but no one has commented at either work or social events. The day anyone asks I will be happy to share, but it hasn't come up yet.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I have only told 2 people. Most people don't care what you eat or don't eat. If it is an occasion where it might matter like Thanksgiving, I just make sure my rotations fit the schedule. Non dieters normally eat more one day and less another.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 149/138/130
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
I have told no-one! Not even my fiance, and I don't plan to! Forever I have tried and failed on diets and it just annoys him hearing about it. He likes me to eat and it has been so freeing to be able to eat with him on my UD'S without saying 'no, I cant have that'.
I cook meals on UD's and then I 'let' him have the leftover's of the meal on my DD, and he thinks I'm the best ever
I have always been a healthy eater (I just eat too much) so I usually have a salad and he thinks nothing of it. I think he's just glad I'm not 'dieting' anymore.
As for workmates, same thing. Just saying 'no thanks' or '
I'm not hungry, I ate soooo much last night' will work.
Easy-peesy
SICCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I think it's actually much easier to "blend in" doing JUDDD than a lot of other diets. No one ever bats an eye if people say something like "oh I had way too much to eat last night, I'm not even hungry today" or "I'm gonna be feasting for dinner tonight, so I want to save some room for that" etc.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I have only told 2 people. Most people don't care what you eat or don't eat. If it is an occasion where it might matter like Thanksgiving, I just make sure my rotations fit the schedule. Non dieters normally eat more one day and less another.
This is so true. Nobody really cares or probably even notices what you eat or don't eat. My DH didn't notice I was eating differently until I had lost 20 pounds and he asked me about it.
Most people are too wrapped up in themselves to notice what someone else eats.
I only notice what my one male employee eats cause I sometimes eat lunch with him. He eats the EXACT same thing everyday and packs his own lunch. He amazes me.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
^ I had a co-worker like that too. He was very regular about his food.

No one has asked me about eating too little, but I have gotten some weird looks and comments on UD's when I was eating chocolate cake and other things, especially from co-workers who are perpetually dieting. However, I also got weird looks when I was on LC and was eating noticeably high-fat high-calorie foods.

I don't feel the need to bring it up unless anyone asks...and the only people who asked were people who wanted to know how I lost weight so they could do it too.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Especially if someone asks questions that show they are clueless and/or they try to explain why JUDDD is terrible, I fall back on "I am doing alternate day calorie cycling. The science behind it is amazing...especially 2011/2012, there have been so many fascinating studies. Anyway, it is a ketogenic way of eating that is soooo healthy... on alternate days the way I eat releases enzymes and proteins that activate fat-burning while protecting and even improving muscle tone and - and this is the really cool part - run around my body cleaning up cellular debris and stuff that just ages you and causes nasty stuff like arthritis and some allergies and....."

The important point is, don't let them get a word in. Bore them to tears. Make them live for the moment I finally shut up.

Truth is, very few people really notice. A few hours after I sipped tea and ignored food at a luncheon that fell on DD...someone asked how I enjoyed the chocolate cake .
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacci48
Stats: 242/234/140
WOE: Judd
Start Date: August 23rd 2012
Mine all know or at least my friends and family do. I was just dishing up dinner tonight and asked my son to set the table for 3 and he said 'oh, your're on a downer arent you?' and then Hubby came into the room and said 'your not eating withus are you, its a down day isnt it.'
At work they know I have these strange up and down days!! Its strange because I am full of how wonderful this woe is and some people just wont give it a go even though they can see from me and my baggy clothes that it is working.
Take care all xx
jacci48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
My friends only say something when they invite me to eat out. They know that more than likely I will go, but prefer to go on a UD than a DD. All though the further along I am, I can go either day and find something that will suffice.

My family is accustomed to me doing either VLC or restricting period, so they are quite acceptable with this UD/DD business.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #15

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I don't think anybody that I know, outside of DH and my two DDs, have noticed. Regardless of when we go out with others, or I have a lunch with gal pals, there is always something I can order to work into a DD, and I can arrange my DD, to work. Like, fast till lunch and then have a fairly plain salad with low cal dressing and a plain iced tea. They're probably having salads too, so it just looks like we all are 'eating smart' and watching our figures.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
OMG, Carly. You're melting, you beauty. Look at that new pic!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post

Early doing JUDDD I went into a dinner party with my husband reassuring me that no one was going to know or care what I was eating, and instead, the hostess followed me around watching what I took and then, realizing that I hadn't eaten very much, made a big deal about wanting to cook something then and there more to my liking. It was so horribly awkward.

Ever since then, I have decided upon a strategy before hand, either telling people the truth or coming up with a good excuse, because in my experience, people not only notice what you eat, but often feel entirely free to comment upon it.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/155/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Today, I just said "thank you" when they commented on how great I look...and later I said "I love my way of eating. I can have anything I want, just every other day."

Today we celebrated my bosses birthday at a winery buffet. Three hours of great conversation with old friends, some of whom I haven't seen in a very long time, great food, which I was quite picky at and only chose foods I knew I would like (the raspberry crepes were to die for), and superb champagne, four glasses. And I hit my calorie budget for the day with a bit left over for a snack before bedtime...

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Mary, I am 100% with you! Food does taste more wonderful when it is flavored by careful selection and seasoned with no-guilt.

Stephanie, that is interesting. I really have had people tell me all kinds of exotic things they think I ate when, actually, I picked undressed lettuce out of the salad. How effusive yet embarrassing your "let me cook you something special" hostess was! I guess we now know one of the costs of fame: people both notice and watch you! "Let me be a size six at the side of the table and be a friend to raspberry crepes."
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
I just say I'm eating out later so just leaving a bit of room. Most people don't bother asking, really. Sure I don't question them about their food either.

But the only person I've told about this is my Mum, who's doing it as well. Which means my brothers and Dad know, but we've been doing this kind of thing for as long as they remember - and then doing something else so they pass no heed.
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:51 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Thanks Steph!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I have rarely had someone even notice eating down (salad and lean protein is too normal to notice), and if I am totally fasting I generally just say my tum isn't up to food right now and NO ONE ever questions that or wants details.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
..... because in my experience, people not only notice what you eat, but often feel entirely free to comment upon it.
When I was doing strict LC, and going into the office regularly I had lunch with colleagues in our lunch room. I had a great roasted stuffed salmon (so easy-- large filet of salmon, then mix cream cheese, feta, and squeezed-dry frozen chopped spinach, some onion/garlic... stuff that in and cook for like 30min).

WOW did I have one obnoxious colleague, who was like OMG how can you eat that? the fat and calories... going on and On and ON.

I was so in shock! I don't even remember if I told her to keep it to herself or not, or just sat there silently letting her embarass herself.

sigh.

I agree with the other folks here though-- if someone needs to know what you're up to, and you don't feel like the full explanation, just saying "oh, eating light, going out later" usually works just fine.

And fwiw, I usually am the organizer for both work and personal social events, so I either plan things for my UD, or I pick a spot that works for me on my DD. And when people ask "why are we eating HERE" I'm like, b/c you left it up to me, and these guys have a 190 cal roasted mushroom salad that I really like
Old 10-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #24

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
*IF* I feel I have to say anything (and often, I don't)... I just say I'm doing calorie cycling, and today is a lower calorie day, and I'm having this salad or soup or whatever... or more likely, "no thanks, can't go for lunch today, it's a down day"... I've only explained this to my closest co-workers (been together for 7+yrs now) so they know I was doing LC and now I'm doing this.

But, if I'm planning lunch, I plan it for my UD, and then I eat whatever
This is EXACTLY what I do and how I feel too!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #25

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
That being said, DH and I both follow JUDDD so our 2 children understand that on DD's we typically just sit at the dinner table with them OR we just have veggies as they eat their meal. My parents and sibling know, but that is all. It is TRULY no one's business what I put in my mouth! I don't have to eat to please anyone but myself!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
I have been fat since I was 8 years old. By the time I was 12, I was 194 pounds. I dieted on and off for around 30 years because diets FAILED me. I did NOT fail the diets. They failed ME! More to the point, my body is super efficient at lowering its metabolism... until the miracle of JUDDD.

My family has been super encouraging since I started, fully knowing my experiences. I haven't explained my diet frustration with friends because up until recently, I thought losing weight was a pipe dream. Some have been really encouraging while others, not knowing my diet history, have labeled me having a "fast metabolism", without having tried JUDDD.

So, outside of family, I don't discuss my diet extensively. I try to plan get togethers with friends on up days so that everything seems normal. Meanwhile, I'm shrinking!
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I do my best to avoid it.. to many questions i dont seam to have answers for..So for now, its all Thank you and im still trying..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I do my best to avoid it.. to many questions i dont seam to have answers for..So for now, its all Thank you and im still trying..
Kimberly, look at you...beautiful avi!!!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Oh, yes, I totally agree. Some people, usually overweight people, have been saying "I certainly hope your not planning on losing anymore weight." I thank them and say, "I'm in no danger of starving to death anytime soon." I'm still overweight for goodness sake! I don't dip into "normal" till 136 and I am small. Small bones, hands, feet, everything but the girls- they are um... Larger. My thin colleagues and friends say stuff like "you look great... Keep it up!"

I have very set DD foods or snacks that I eat at work when I can't make it fasting. No one seems to notice UDs at all, but many colleagues call it the celery diet since that is what I nibble at work if hungry on DD. Otherwise I'm super productive since I don't take a lunch break.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html

Last edited by Carly; 10-23-2012 at 05:54 PM..