Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 161/157/140 5'7"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: September 2012
What do your rotations look like?

I read the book years ago but haven't read it since. I thought I read that in the book he recommends DDs on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Up days on Tuesday and Thursday and Mid days on the weekends. Do any of you practice this and do you still lose? I have been trying to do a true alternating schedule but am finding it difficult to have a DD on the weekend as we almost always have something going on where food and or alcohol is involved.

Just kind of wanted to know what kind of schedule you adhere to and what your weight loss looks (looked) like?

Thanks!

~Heather
thirteenblessings is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I do a strict rotation (UD/DD) with almost no MDs. I've lost nearly 85 pounds in just over 10 months.

Some do fine with MDs and others don't do so well. YMMV.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #3

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I've never read anywhere that certain days are to be UDs and other days are to be DDs with MDs on weekends.

We certainly do the rotations, of course, as there seems to be a BIG benefit in alternating that big cycle between high calories and very low calories, and a Medium Day just serves to bring that powerful piston-like action down again.. sort of like always bringing the action to a slow-down. The pendulum is swinging really well, and then you interfere with the action. Then you get it going again, and then interrupt the cycle again.

Some folks are successful with using a MD every week, which allows them to have every same-day of each week be either their UDs or their DDs, however it works out best for them. A whole lot of us just let the days alternate between Up and Down continuously. But other than alternating the days (The Alternate Day Diet), that's about it.

I rarely use MDs myself, having found that for me, it's just easier to keep the rotation going. I only insert a MD into the rotation when I'm going to need to change that rotation to make room for an upcoming event to land on an UD. (That's part of the fun of being able to adjust JUDDD Every Holiday and fun celebration and event can end up being on an Up Day. LOL)

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-19-2012 at 07:45 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
In the book under FAQ he states that some people do set days to suit their lives but he never says that is the way to do the plan.

I do strict UD/DD rotations. I have lost 36 pounds and only did one MD which messed me up completely so I have never tried another one. Each person has to do it the way they feel most comfortable and I am a strict UD/DD person and let them fall where they may. I have done banquets on DD's and stayed below 500 calories so it can be done however you see fit.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Every body is different, I'm sure. For me, the Juddd engine works far, far better with straight rotations. I'd love to hear about your experience, whatever you choose.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I like leaving my rotations alone, as much as possible. In the 6 weeks I've been at it, I've lost 13 pounds, and I've only done one MD to accomodate a one on one meal at a friend's house and didn't want to offend by not eating, or have to explain what I was doing. It's easier when I'm with a group, because all the attention isn't on what any one person is eating!

I still haven't told many people what I'm doing. I most definitely will at some point, but wanted to see how I liked it and get really into the routine before having to discuss and explain it. I've spent so many years explaining/justifying my low carbing, I'm just sick of dealing with people who don't "get it."

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 161/157/140 5'7"
Start Date: September 2012
Great, that's what I was looking for. I'll try hard to stick to my rotations even on the weekends. I haven't done such a good job of it and I haven't lost anything so definitely I can see where adding in too many UDs or a MD can mess things up.

I'm trying to learn how this diet is not just about calories in and calories out but there's something more at work here.

And it's been years since I read the book so I am sure I got that part wrong. That was likely something I read online somewhere.
thirteenblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteenblessings View Post
Great, that's what I was looking for. I'll try hard to stick to my rotations even on the weekends. I haven't done such a good job of it and I haven't lost anything so definitely I can see where adding in too many UDs or a MD can mess things up.

I'm trying to learn how this diet is not just about calories in and calories out but there's something more at work here.

And it's been years since I read the book so I am sure I got that part wrong. That was likely something I read online somewhere.
Perhaps it was something posted on another site. This isn't the only weight loss site where there are people following JUDDD, but I will tell you this: I've done a lot of reading at other sites, and this one is by far the most successful for the weight loss!!! So while various forums seem to take on their own distinct *aura* and develop their own versions of how they do things, interpret the suggestions, follow the rules, etc. I've never read at any other site that has so many individuals from so many different situations who thrive and lose the weight like we do here. You've come to a good place!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteenblessings View Post

It is in the FAQ portion of his book. IN the back.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stepinthyme
Stats: 289/???/190 - 5'-8"
WOE: Low Carb/Counting Calories
Start Date: Restart January 2014
I don't do MD's. I have, however had 3 DD's since I re-started JUDDD 6 weeks ago that I allowed myself to go up to maintenance level DD's because of work/social eating events. I've lost about 11 pounds over the last 6 weeks. Going up to the maintenance level on those DD's worked really well for me, and I did not see that it caused any problems with weight loss.
stepinthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I like leaving my rotations alone, as much as possible. In the 6 weeks I've been at it, I've lost 13 pounds, and I've only done one MD to accomodate a one on one meal at a friend's house and didn't want to offend by not eating, or have to explain what I was doing. It's easier when I'm with a group, because all the attention isn't on what any one person is eating!

I still haven't told many people what I'm doing. I most definitely will at some point, but wanted to see how I liked it and get really into the routine before having to discuss and explain it. I've spent so many years explaining/justifying my low carbing, I'm just sick of dealing with people who don't "get it."

That's my method as well (8 weeks). I had company for 3 days last week, then headed out of town to a high school reunion, where I knew my friend and I would have too many glasses of wine and be eating a big meal. During the 3 days of company I had MDs and it was easy as my friend is a lifelong Weight Watchers member, so making up things like a Hungry Girl Pizza on Flat Out Flatbread with lots of frozen artichoke hearts, fat-free feta, and sliced chicken breast was perfect for her.

I didn't lunch on the reunion day and the next day when flying back I ate only lunch at the airport. When I weighed the next morning I'd lost 1/2 pound from the day my company arrived to the day after flying back from the reunion.

Next week we are spending 4 days with friends and I have no plans to adjust my eating at all or impose my WOE on them in any way. For me this is about the long-term and the health benefits (my cholesterol is down 45 pts) and I hope to eat this way for the rest of my life.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos

Last edited by Zib; 10-19-2012 at 09:58 AM..
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
I've only done one MD, and I didn't like the effect it had on the scale for me, so ever since then I have done regular rotations only. If I have an event on a DD, I fast most of the day and enjoy one meal, sometimes increasing my DD calories a bit higher if it's a special occasion. I started JUDDD in mid July and have lost 23 pounds on JUDDD since then (and 11 pounds on carb cycling prior to that).

Last edited by calichris; 10-19-2012 at 03:03 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I like to have my Friday and Sunday be UD, so I make my Thursday a MD. It is working well for me

Many times DH and I go out for dinner on Friday and Sunday has usually been a "Sunday Dinner" at noon. My mom would always make something special on Sundays, so I like to do that too! Anyone else remember Sunday Dinner?

I have 3 DD a week, 3 UD a week and 1 MD.

Leona

I started this when I reached goal!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Many times DH and I go out for dinner on Friday and Sunday has usually been a "Sunday Dinner" at noon. My mom would always make something special on Sundays, so I like to do that too! Anyone else remember Sunday Dinner?

How funny. . . I was just thinking about this last Sunday. I haven't had a Sunday Dinner tradition in my life for at least 20 years, and I want it back. I was thinking about just doing it every other Sunday (no family at home, so it would be a friends thing).

I just finished my 10th week, and I tried doing a weekly schedule with one MD per week. My weight loss was okay during it, but I thought it could be better, so several weeks ago after a few days of travel eating, I started strict rotations.

So far I'm not seeing any increase in weight loss (in fact, if anything, I've slowed down). But I did have to re-lose 1.5 lbs and I had TOM cropping up, s0 I'm going to continue the alternate days for awhile and see if anything picks up later.

"I don’t believe in optimism. I believe in optimal behavior. That's a different thing . . . Action is hope. . . . It doesn’t matter how good it is, or how bad - you did it.

--Ray Bradbury, R.I.P.
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlamp10 View Post
How funny. . . I was just thinking about this last Sunday. I haven't had a Sunday Dinner tradition in my life for at least 20 years, and I want it back. I was thinking about just doing it every other Sunday (no family at home, so it would be a friends thing).

I just finished my 10th week, and I tried doing a weekly schedule with one MD per week. My weight loss was okay during it, but I thought it could be better, so several weeks ago after a few days of travel eating, I started strict rotations.

So far I'm not seeing any increase in weight loss (in fact, if anything, I've slowed down). But I did have to re-lose 1.5 lbs and I had TOM cropping up, s0 I'm going to continue the alternate days for awhile and see if anything picks up later.
You might not see any better rate of loss with straight Up/Down rotations than you did with scheduling one MD per week. When you add up all the calories of a two-week period of straight rotations and a two-week period that includes one MD each week, both come out to the exact same number of calories. So neither way gives you lower calories overall than the other.

Some get a little slow down of weight loss when they add MDs in, despite the fact that overall their calories are the same, so they apparently react to that interruption. Others don't notice it having any effect on their weight loss, or not enough to worry about, so it works just fine for them. I think this seems to be one of those YMMV things.

Your idea of a nice Sunday Dinner every other week, to enjoy with others in good company, sounds like a good idea. I want to think this over for myself. That has a good feeling to it. I think I might do that a bit too. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Strict rotations for me. I've been JUDDDing for almost 7 mos and had about 4 MDs as I needed to change my rotation for a big event. I found those few MD slowed things down and were plain confusing. Essentially I probably only brought a DD up to maintenance levels, but all the same I prefer strict rotations. I also like that DDs fall on a different day every other week.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WantToBeSlim
Stats: 219.25/174/147
Start Date: October 1st 2012
I'm still a newbie, only been doing JUDDD for 3 weeks but enjoying it so far. I have stuck to the UD DD alternate days so my UD and DD are on different days each week and because of that I weigh in every 8 days. In my first 2 weeks I lost 7.5lb. Currently I am happy to continue with the strict rotations. I know some people do 3 DD's (mon, wed and fri) and then UD's on tues, thurs, sat and sun (so 2 up days in a row) and they still lose but I worry if I try this I wont lose.
I must admit I don't really enjoy my DD on the weekend, I find it the hardest DD of the week but I'm determined to stick to it.

Last edited by WantToBeSlim; 10-20-2012 at 05:40 PM..
WantToBeSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #18

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I think most of would like every Sunday to be UDs, but life isn't like that for most of us. I admire Leonak for keeping it going and maintaining so well.

I am having a DD and it is going okay. I'll be serving my DH roast belly pork with roast potatoes and green beans. I shall have green beans and a little of the pork. That is okay I can do it. But I wish it didn't all smell so good just now, lol.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacci48
Stats: 242/235/140
WOE: Judd
Start Date: August 23rd 2012
I follow alt days ud/dd, I have had a couple of MD's but I didnt like them. October has been a strange month with unexpected things happening and Im away with my Mother for a long weekend this next weekend and will not stick to rotations then but will go straight back to them upon my return.
I have then got nothing out of the ordinary planned until the end of November when Im having a week long holiday in the sun...yay!!... and I wont stick to rotations then but will go straight back upon my return. That is one of the best things about judding....you can live your life and lose weight at the same time!!
jacci48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I maintain eating as you described, but do not lose.
To lose I have to follow strict rotations UD/DD and know that if I slip a MD in I will not lose for a bit. Gotta be honest with myself about it and stick to the real rotation if I want to lose again.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
When I did this first time around, I was successful at doing a M/W/F DD, T/Thurs/Sat UD and Sunday MD. My success got cut by a vacation. I'm doing that rotation again as I need Saturday to be a weekly UD. For me it helps not make this so much of a "diet".

I did the rotation as outlined for the first few weeks. Recent surgery has sidelined any loss for me. In fact, I've gained since then (hysterectomy). Before the surgery, I needed to make sure I was eating up to my UD calories to begin losing. Aside from that, my current rotations were working.

The rotations work best, but I need to structure the days that work best for me mentally or I'd be blowing days right and left!!

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Go get 'em, Nilla Killa Thrilla.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/169; 5'6", 52 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / Fast-5
Start Date: 6/7/12
I usually stick with every other day rotations. I have had four MD since I started two months ago. I recently came to the conclusion that I will allow myself a medium day on Sundays, which is the hardest day of the week. Those MD don't seem to have lessened my weight loss. Note: before JUDDD I was not a fast loser.

I am strict with my down days (500 calories). A few times I allowed myself to eat a little more (2200 calories) on my up days.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Go get 'em, Nilla Killa Thrilla.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:53 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for this wonderful thread. I have messed with rotations as an experiment during maintenance. Granted, it usually looks like two UDs, one DD, two UDs, or variations on that theme. Very few MDs.
Results are I gain and I'm certain I lose whatever SIRTUIN momentum I have gained with regular rotations. It always feels as though I'm starting all over.
Just food for thought.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: klspes
Stats: 220/210/170
WOE: atkins
Start Date: March 2007
Newbie to this thread. What does JUDD stand for? What book are you referring to?
klspes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

JUDDD = Johnson Up Day Down Day.

The book is "The Alternate Day Diet"

There's tons of info on this JUDDD thread. Dig in and learn about this great WOE!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: klspes
Stats: 220/210/170
WOE: atkins
Start Date: March 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
JUDDD = Johnson Up Day Down Day.

The book is "The Alternate Day Diet"

There's tons of info on this JUDDD thread. Dig in and learn about this great WOE!
Thank you!! I was looking into Chris Powell diet plan and was just poking around with the whole carb rotation thing low carb/ high carb days. I am assuming this is kind of the same??
klspes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

It can be if you want it to be. The crux of JUDDD, though, is the calorie cycling. No other restrictions and carb vs fat vs protein. Lots of us here still do LC, and lots don't, and are successful. If you go do Dr Johnson's site, there's a calculator to see what your DD and your UD calories are, and selections for different weight loss levels up to maintenance.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: witchyanne
Stats: 252/250/180
Start Date: November 2nd 2012
I only know tjhe web site version - UD/DD rotation (and frankly, fannying around with MDs and whatever just makes it more complicated for me).

I basically just avoid food entirely aside from some veg on DDs and eat whatever I want/need within my calorie range on UDs - but then this is only my 4th day - so there are much more qualified people who will be more helpful, like Kiera's Mom and Carly - the results speak for themselves.

witchyanne is offline   Reply With Quote