Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: faithgirl
SOhappy-anyone else-I have a question

I didn't want to TJ the lowcarb thread, so I am making a new one. Pat-you mentioned approx. how many carbs you eat on an up day. Can I ask about how many grams of fat you might eat on an up day? Protein? I know I may be getting too specific, but I so need to clean up my diet becuase right now I am eating too much junk. Part of me thinks I need to go LC, but I really doubt I could do LC-I never have been able to stick with that any amount of time. But I need to get more whole foods in and your post just makes me wonder if eating a lot of fat with whole grains and such might not be healthy? I tend to want to go to extremes and I want to avoid that but I do need to eat better.

If anyone else has some thoughts on this or wants to share what their food plan looks like, I would really appreciate it.

faithgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post
I didn't want to TJ the lowcarb thread, so I am making a new one. Pat-you mentioned approx. how many carbs you eat on an up day. Can I ask about how many grams of fat you might eat on an up day? Protein? I know I may be getting too specific, but I so need to clean up my diet becuase right now I am eating too much junk. Part of me thinks I need to go LC, but I really doubt I could do LC-I never have been able to stick with that any amount of time. But I need to get more whole foods in and your post just makes me wonder if eating a lot of fat with whole grains and such might not be healthy? I tend to want to go to extremes and I want to avoid that but I do need to eat better.

If anyone else has some thoughts on this or wants to share what their food plan looks like, I would really appreciate it.
Wow, I'm going to be a whole lot less help to you here than I should be. Now that I'm so much more casual about it in maintenance, I rarely keep very close track of UDs at all, unless I'm gaining up beyond where I feel comfortable. I went back through ****** for a bit, but there are no days where I recorded an entire UD anymore. Lots of time now, I only use ****** to figure out a portion of a day, etc.

The reason I still do low Down Days, in the vicinity of 500 cals or so, is so that I have a HUGE amount of room for calories on my UDs.

An example of an UD breakfast here at home on Sunday mornings:

2 eggs, over easy, cooked in butter
2 sausage patties
2 slices of bread, usually multi-grain, toasted and generously spread with butter
usually red raspberry jam on one slice.. the other is for dipping in the yolk!
a glass of orange juice or a little side bowl of orange sections
2 mugs of coffee, each with 2 Tbsp of half & half

Mornings, I usually have two or three cups of creamed coffee but have little appetite beyond that until later in the morning. Then if I grab something, it's often a big bowl of corn flakes (my favorite) with whole milk and a couple of good spoonfuls of table sugar. (I know.. I should even admit to something like that on this site.)

Breakfast up at the French cafe is always the same thing.. pastry and coffee w/cream.

If we have breakfast at another restaurant, which we occasionally do, it's almost always pancakes with their butter (which I strongly suspect is never really butter) and a double order of syrup (maple flavored HFCS most probably) cause that syrup always soaks into the pancakes so fast it never seems like enough to me.

Lunch here might just be the leftovers from previous supper.. like last nights scalloped cheesy potatoes and ham. Often soup and sandwiches. I make fabulous ham and bean soup and fabulous chili, so those are favorites. And not skimpy servings. Sometimes with bread and butter on the side. Usually with saltine crackers and butter. Usually with a glass of whole milk. Sometimes sandwiches, like this summer we had a whole lot of BLT sandwiches. I like them with plenty of bacon and big slabs of tomatoes, the lettuce and plenty of mayo on lightly toasted white bread. So we feasted on those when the tomatoes were coming in good.

In the winter we have a lot of lunches that are.. tomato soup and buttery grilled cheese sandwiches. LOL Old fashioned chilly winter weather lunch, I guess.

Lunches up at the French cafe are always the same. Turkey, piled high, with provolone cheese, lettuce & tomato on a FABULOUS flaky buttery REAL croissant (he's a real French pastry chef, so croissants are so good, and a cup or a bowl of their lobster bisque, made with heavy cream, and then I don't know what else. Iced tea, plain, to drink.

Occasionally a cheeseburger with fries and a genuine fountain coke. Not usual, but if I go to one of those places, that's my preferred order.

Supper... gee.. that could be anything. Occasionally I bring home a thin crust Take-&-Bake pizza from Papa Murphy's. A few nights ago I made BBQ ribs that were so tender they fell off the bone. Had baked sweet potatoes with lots of butter with the ribs. Lately I've made lots of pork roasts because we've been getting such good prices on pork. Usually mashed potatoes with homemade gravy with the roasts, whether it beef roast or pork or chicken, I usually make gravy with the juices/drippings. DH (Iowa boy) loves meat and potatoes. But baked potatoes too, often enough.

Supper could also just be hotdogs fried up in butter, atop buns, also buttered and toasted up in the skillet, with mustard and onions, and baked beans and potato salad. Sort of summertime evening casual food.

If we go out for supper, maybe a steak or skewers of shrimp on a bed of wild rice.

When we go to Biaggi's, it's always the lobster and wild mushrooms in cream sauce over black linguine noodles, a fabulous salad, and also amazing focaccia bread. Love their focaccia!

I just don't know what to tell you. Some of our meals are eaten at home and some at restaurants or cafes. Some are big meals with all the sides and some are simple and also anything but fancy.

There is usually something for dessert. Maybe banana or coconut pudding, although neither of those appeal to me. I want chocolate. Always topped with plenty of whipped cream. I almost always have cartons of ice cream on hand in the freezer. I have chocolate chip cookie dough made and on hand. Suppose I need to bake one of these days. Right now, that coconut cake is still sitting on the kitchen counter. DH has it almost finished. I've had two small pieces of it. That's enough for me. Now a chocolate cake would be another matter entirely.

I have four partial bags of chips on hand. They are carefully closed and hopefully remaining fresh.. left over from last Saturday (college football day on TV) and I'll bring them back out for DH again this Saturday. There are a few of the dry roasted peanuts left in the jar.. I did snack on them a bit. LOL

So, see... I do my really, really good Down Days in order to have a whole lot of freedom on my Up Days. I carefully, carefully measure out and weigh out all my little Down Day foods, so I know those days are being held down in the area of 500 calories. And all so that I can maintain my weight while eating about anything I want on my Up Days!!!!!!!!!!
I used to track the Up Days too, but just don't anymore because I've found I don't have to anymore. Only if I begin to gain weight again and it doesn't come down. But I've found by keeping to the low DDs, the UDs can be real comfortable. Real comfortable and yummy.

I do make sure I eat plenty of protein on my UDs, but couldn't tell you exactly how much. And the same with fats. A whole lot. That's about as close as I can tell you, because just the two of us go through pounds of butter and quarts of half & half in nothing flat.

I can only tell you that doing whatever it takes on BOTH your Down Days and your Up Days to lose the weight, down to wherever you want to be, is so very, very, very worth it, because after that, by holding your DDs still low, you get more pleasant generous Up Days. And it's so, so nice.

I will tell you that I eat a LOT of vegetables and fruits. One day I thought to myself, "Boy.. there's sure a lot of stuff around here", so I counted and there were over 30 different fresh fruits and vegetables in my refrigerator and on the counter. And I do have several breads on hand on all days. I don't low carb and haven't given up grains. (Well, or sugars either, obviously.)

I can't tell you what food to choose for yourself. I just wanted to go back to eating like we did back when I was a child. I never knew a single fat person in my town back then. Not a single one. Not to say there weren't any in the 1940's-1950's... but none that I knew. We ate everything, but there was little commercially manufactured processed foods at that time, just real food, homemade food, and we ate some of it all. That's what I've gone back to. With the help of doing it the JUDDD calorie cycling way. It works for me.

I've felt better these last couple of years than I have for many, many years prior to JUDDD, and I give all of that credit to JUDDD. It's made a huge difference in my life and in how much I enjoy life these days! Better health, great lab work, lots of fun in life these days.

Just can't tell you the numbers of protein or fat or carbs lately. Easily 150, 200 and plus on the carbs most UDs though.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-18-2012 at 07:23 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow Pat, you just made me hungry! LOL...I want to eat like you do. I seriously over think everything instead of letting things be, you know? I obsess over diets, food, supplements, plans, etc. Thank you so much for your candor. That really opens my eyes and gives me a good picture of what it means to successfully do this WOE.

You know, my grandparents ate similar to what you mentioned and they were thin when they passed away. Grandma was almost 91 and grandpa was 95 when they passed. My grandmother on the other side was 90, too. I have longevity in my genes and if I would just get the weight off, I would probably live into my 90's as well.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithgirl View Post
Wow Pat, you just made me hungry! LOL...I want to eat like you do. I seriously over think everything instead of letting things be, you know? I obsess over diets, food, supplements, plans, etc. Thank you so much for your candor. That really opens my eyes and gives me a good picture of what it means to successfully do this WOE.

You know, my grandparents ate similar to what you mentioned and they were thin when they passed away. Grandma was almost 91 and grandpa was 95 when they passed. My grandmother on the other side was 90, too. I have longevity in my genes and if I would just get the weight off, I would probably live into my 90's as well.
Well, certainly all have our opinions, but I'm now old enough to see that there has been a big change in what we eat, and in how we eat, and in how much we eat. There really was so much less processed 'store bought' foods then, so when you got cake or cookies, they were made with real ingredients and no additives and preservatives to keep them from going stale. Most all the foods for most all the meals were made at home, in mama's kitchen, from scratch, from real basic ingredients. I don't even know whether there were sugared cereals on the market yet, all colored with artificial fruit colors, etc. They didn't use HFCS in soda pop and pancake syrup, etc. Back then it was plain table sugar, like back in Little House on The Prairie times. Back when Mrs. Ingalls also made her pie crusts with lard instead of transfat vegetable shortening aka Crisco.

And mostly, folks ate three times a day. Now we get ads for Snickers bars that say, "You're not you when you're hungry".. and they encourage us to grab a Snickers bar because *we're hungry*. Fast food places have *snack size* sandwiches so you can eat between your meals. We're encouraged in every way to eat between meals. As well as eating those three meals too, of course.

When I was little, if we children were getting hungry, we were told to wait.. supper would be ready in an hour. Nowadays we'd eat half a bag of cookies to tide us over until suppertime. LOLOL

And the portions are a lot larger now. And we're used to eating that much. We expect it, and complain about the restaurants that don't give us plenty! And at home... Boy, that tasted so good... I think I'll go back for a second helping. (After the first helping was plenty big to begin with.)

We often had ice cream. Does anyone but me remember a serving in those little 1/2 cup sized light cardboard cups with the little lid that you pulled off, using that little tab? And you'd maybe eat it with a little throw-away wooden spoon shaped thing? Those made me laugh, even when I was a kid. But my point is, a serving of ice cream was 1/2 cup. Now we mount great scoops of the stuff in a bowl and head in to eat in front of the TV.

I eat everything anymore. But part of my getting to do that is also this: I don't make a pig of myself, as we used to say. My eyes are no longer larger than my stomach. I truly eat pretty reasonable portions. I get to have it all, but in moderation.

I totally LOVE it!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

We had the ice cream cups but they were in plastic with a cardboard lid and wooden spoon thingy. Of course, now it isn't real ice cream, but like you said, a lot of products are not real anymore. I am thinking I need to get my cook books out and start cooking real food. I have been on the diet roller coaster for so long that I absolutely dread having to cook anything anymore. I have had to convince myself that the stuff I made tasted good. Some of it does, but an awful lot of it doesn't. I use to love to cook. I need to start doing this again. Oh, and I too, love really good bread.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
Well, I am new to this site. I have been lurking for a while, trying to get a grasp on JUDDD. Pat, you are singing my song! I grew up that same way. "Dinner won't be ready until later...go back outside and play." I have started following the JUDDD plan this week. So far I have been amazed at how my appetite has leveled off! I think once I get into a routine this is something I could stick with for life!

Great site!
Laura
HomeWorkerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWorkerMT View Post
Well, I am new to this site. I have been lurking for a while, trying to get a grasp on JUDDD. Pat, you are singing my song! I grew up that same way. "Dinner won't be ready until later...go back outside and play." I have started following the JUDDD plan this week. So far I have been amazed at how my appetite has leveled off! I think once I get into a routine this is something I could stick with for life!

Great site!
Laura
It's wonderful to have you join us, Laura! You're gonna' LOVE it.

We all get to eat whatever foods we want, but it allows those of us who want to, to go back to eating ALL basic whole unadulterated non-artificial foods, homemade, like it used to be. And by doing the Down Days, we are automatically limiting our consumption... down to a level where we can completely enjoy Up Days and still lose or maintain our weights. Certainly is nice.