Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
New Night Hunger

I've been doing my version of this for a long time and I don't know why this is happening, but I need some help with it. Suddenly I am getting a lot of after-dinner hunger, fantasies of food, strong desire to nosh, etc. It is really unusual for me! My usual coping methods (hot tea, one square of 100% cacao (high fat) are not working

My weight has recently gone up (I travel constantly, and my diet is not so great when I travel) about 8 pounds, and I am trying to get it back off with my usual JUDDD rotations, but this night hunger is surprising.

It may be because I have naturally fallen into a pattern of eating much less during the day--but I really don't want to change that. I think it is more related to "once I start eating, I don't want to stop."

What are some of my Juddd-budds favorite nighttime hunger killers?
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Anything that feels like a special sensory treat fills me up. A splash of red wine in sparkling water goes a long way for me. Decaf cappuccino.
And if I'm feeling strong-willed, a tablespoon of peanut butter is a slow, satisfying treat.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ouis-
In the past, what worked for me was simply to say to myself, "I'll eat x, y, or z in the morning." Once I made myself that promise, the hunger seemed to vanish.

You also might want to consider this old trick. Regard any hunger as a signal from your body that if you don't feed it NOW, it's going to tap into your fat stores. Since that what you want, it may help you endure the hunger happily.

If that doesn't work, I 'white-knuckle' it, and try to distract myself in any way I can. If it's evening, I'll take a shower, or change my sheets, or wash my hair--anything to keep me from dwelling on hunger.

As I'm sure you know, any habit we develop gets wired into our brains. For years, I did no evening eating at all, and then suddenly I began having a 'bedtime snack.' I wasn't over my calorie limit, but it wasn't a habit I wanted to develop. So I stopped cold. And it took about two weeks before I stopped having 'bedtime hunger' even though I hadn't been eating at bedtime for very long. I mention this as motivation for you to stop now.

Last edited by Leo41; 10-17-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Distance and distraction. I remove myself from the kitchen and anything on that floor in the house and busy myself upstairs or downstairs - usually reading upstairs, sometimes I hop on the treadmill in the basement. Last night I watched the debate from the bedroom instead of the den to stay far away from the kitchen. The night before I tackled my drawers and bundled up several bags of clothes to go to Goodwill. If I had just been lounging in the den I surely would have been tempted to nosh during the evening - especially as I watch DH graze all night long and not gain an ounce, grrrrr.

Good luck - you are strong and can get through this!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Do I remember you eat No S within JUDDD's framework?

That sure sounds like good old carb hunger. On the gained eight pounds trip, did you indulge in more carbs than usual? If so, gut through it or try eating something carb a bite (literally) at a time. Last time I went LC, the first few days I found - in the evening when the hunger hit - half a cracker was enough to satisfy the beast.

Of course, carb hunger can also come from disrupted blood glucose. Any known problems/history in that arena? Could something hormonal or physical be pushing you bg out of whack?
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I have something warm, like broth or decaf tea if its not near bedtime.

Then, i brush and floss my teeth. Makes me much less likely to eat anything that gets wedged in there.

Water, my nighttime vitamins, and I read and fall asleep.

The toothbrushing really kills the appetite I find.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yeah--distraction and toothpaste are not working--been there for a few weeks now. Nancy--you are correct--I do NoS--I am sure that the problem is that I ate lots (and carbs) while in (Ireland, Italy, Chicago, Hawaii, and Germany just to name the last several months) and then cut back at home. I have been trying to eat lowish carb, but truthfully, I think carbs help me feel more satiated. Maybe i need a few more with my dinner.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Baking soda in water.

I feel like I've discovered a new weapon...I've felt for many years that hunger isn't just about calories, but often the body trying to get something that will balance out blood sugar, or electrolytes, or some other nutrient...what I'd neglected to consider was pH balance. And being "alkaline" helps you absorb calcium & other minerals better...

1/4-1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in water really kills my appetite.
Little baggies of white powder might not be good travel companions...
but you could use Alka-Seltzer tablets instead.
Alka-Seltzer Gold is just sodium bicarbonate + citric acid, no aspirin.
I also found a very cheap brand called Picot Sal de Uvas at Walmart.

If you have issues with sodium, I also use "pH Protector Drops" (Body Rescue brand). Water with fresh lemon or lime juice is very alkalizing, too. For traveling, maybe those crystallized "True Lemon" or "True Lime" packets would work...I've always heard one should use fresh juice, not pasteurized/bottled juices, so I'm not sure dehydrated juice would work! But it might, and the packets would be easy to carry.

I used to be a terrible one for night eating. I could eat lightly or fast or follow any diet in the world for 2/3 of the day, but by dinner time I would be ravenous. And I could snack for hours after dinner. But lately, I've been eating a late lunch and forgetting to eat dinner...I have to force myself to eat just a little something so I can take my meds & vitamins.

I like this because I'm not just distracting or tricking myself so I don't eat...I'm somehow balancing my body chemistry so that I'm not hungry. It also keeps my blood sugar very steady!

And I get acid reflux if I eat too late at night. So if I get hungry too close to bedtime, having a little alkaline water saves me from that misery, too.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 10-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: add to sentence
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh good! I'm glad we are only dealing with a body that has gotten spoiled on carbs.

PJs ideas are well worth trying. Gritting your teeth and thinking higher thoughts will get you there. And, well, I have been known to sit noshing a bag of washed, fresh baby spinach leaves (yes, like they are chips). Or slowly eating 1/2 cracker at a time - which for me - allows me to drop carbs gradually.

PS - WOW! I hope you had time for sight-seeing on that epic trip!!!!

Last edited by gotsomeold; 10-17-2012 at 10:57 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

y'all are awesome! I'm gonna try some BS water tonight, and if desperate, a few crackers. Sadly, naked spinach leaves would trigger something gastricly abysmal (fructose intolerance ;( so crackers and soda water it will be!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I just wanted to stop in and wish you well. Hope you solve your problem. I can't give you any advice at all here because I have little appetite in the early part of my days but am still feeling sort of hungry and wanting to eat in the evenings, even after a decent supper.

But instead of fighting it, I actually just listen to my body and go with it. Evening snacks sort of become my last late meal of the day, and since I include carbs, I sleep like a baby.

Good luck to you.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Hey PJ, thanks for that. I'm going to experiment!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Although red wine and sparkling water may win out.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Ouiz,

Why don't you try the Pterostilbene? I find it really helps with the night cravings. It took a few days to get it into my system, but then it starts to work and it helps greatly. If you don't have any reason for not taking it, it might be worth a shot as it works for a few of us. See this thread:

Please post your pterostilbene results :)
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Beverly--great minds think alike--I did read that thread and just bought some. How long til it starts to take effect? How often do you take it?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Beverly--great minds think alike--I did read that thread and just bought some. How long til it starts to take effect? How often do you take it?
It actually took 6 days for me to start "feeling" good results. I take the BioNutrition Pterostilbene with PteroPure 100 mg in the afternoon on an up day.

I take the Jarrow 50 mg twice a day in the Am and PM on a down day.

I don't need it to deal with hunger on an up day, but take it to keep it in my system and it helps me avoid night snacking.

I am grateful to Sunday for bringing this to our attention because it is the one thing I actually know is working in regards to hunger management.

You certainly don't have to switch between the two brands. I just had ordered the BioNutrition from Netrition so thought I would see if I could tell a difference. I was thinking the BioNutrition was cheaper and then I realized I was comparing apples and oranges. One has 30 capsules in the bottle and one has 60! I can't really tell a difference in results between the two.

I hope it works for you!

Last edited by sungoddess; 10-18-2012 at 08:25 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well, I took it 2x so far yesterday and today, so we shall see how it goes this evening (tho it is an MD today with an UD tomorrow). I really don't want to feel like noshing after dinner.