Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
HELP I'm Bummed!

Ok I know I am probably being a whiner..... but I started Oct.1 keeping track of cals and weight. I lost first 5 really fast then another pd. Well since then I feel like I am staying the same and now going back up. I know this works, but why am I bouncing so much but not going down? Is this normal? Im sure menapause isnt helping and possibly my thryoid but come on I cant blame everything on that. Yesterday I had the best DD yet at 400 cals. I hate the way the scale makes me feel like crying. I feel like Im putting alot into this . I dont plan on quittin just want some imput on maybe something Im missing.

weight 257/235/130
Debrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Debbie. Oh boy, I know how you're feeling! I had that moment last Friday. Why isn't this working the way it did in the beginning. I think in my case it was pre-TOM water weight (and mood swing). If you think it's menopause, again, hormonal changes could be at play.

I've read so many times on this board that some of our most successful, and dramatic, losers had quite a slow start. It seems like maybe JUDDD is working on fixing some internal "stuff" that it needs to do before releasing the weight.

I would definitely keep doing just what you're doing for at least a month, if not more, just to give JUDDD and chance to get really going in your system. If nothing else, JUDDD will be a great way to get through the holiday season without gaining, while still enjoying your traditional treats every other day. By then, you may find you're losing quite steadily and satisfactorily!

That said, I know how FRUSTRATING it is when you're working hard, doing everything right, and the scale isn't cooperating. It's really hard to take. Maybe you could give yourself some other things to go by, like your measurements, or how a piece of clothing fits. Sometimes your body shape/size really is changing, even when the scale is not.

to you Debbie. Keep posting and let us know how you're feeling. These good folks have propped me up when I'm unsure, whether I've voiced it here or not. Just reading all the posts really keeps me determined that I can do this.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Been there - got the T-shirt. I am also a slow loser in menohell. I have found results to be variable and not at all related to how well I am following the program. Nothing so far in Oct, 10 pounds in September (yay!) but an average overall of less than a pound a week over the last 6 months. Stick with it. It may be slow but eventually you will get results and all along the way you are getting other health benefits (or so I keep reminding myself).
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Hang in there. It'll work, and one of these days you'll be posting about all the weight you've lost and all the new smaller sizes you keep having to buy! Woo Hoo! That was the most fun part for me.

I assume you are holding your Down Day calories to about 500 and your Up Day calories to about 2250 or so. AND, that you are actually weighing and measuring your food portions, so that you know you are getting a totally accurate calorie count. And that you're not leaving anything out, etc.

So, knowing that you are respecting your calorie numbers on both days and are accurately measuring your food, here are a couple of things to consider:

Have you come to JUDDD from a previous low carb way of eating, and are now including a bit more carbohydrate in your diet? Many do, and experience some initial weight GAIN on JUDDD because of that, because they regain the water weight they lost at first on low carb. And now, with the higher carbs, it comes back. So that can make it seem like you aren't losing any weight *on the scale* but you may actually be losing some body fat at the same time you are gaining back some water weight in your tissues, so the one is offsetting the other. If this is the case, the regain of lost water weight will end, and then you'll be able to see the true loss of body fat as the days and weeks pass.

Next, of course you know that the female body is crazy and cycles through periods of water retention as TOM comes and goes. So this is always something that throws off our ability to rely much on the scale. Just know that as you retain some fluid and don't see the scale going down, you are also usually rewarded on the other side with a little whoosh and a good loss showing up on the scale.

Then there are the million other reasons we can have fluctuations in water weight, like eating a bit of salty ham, something Asian that included some MSG if you're sensitive to that, being on your feet longer than normal, exercising a bit more and retaining some fluid in your muscles because of that.. and on and on.

So don't worry about it at this time. Just trust that JUDDD will do it's thing for you too, just as it does for almost everyone. Just do JUDDD. And do it accurately. And wait for the magic to really get rolling for you. That SIRT1 protein works well, once it's turned on with this eating plan, but that take about two weeks at a minimum, it seems.

Take your measurements for sure. Many here find they are losing body fat and changing their shape for the better, even when there appears to be no downward movement on the scale, so seeing your measurements get smaller is motivation even when the scale won't move.

And lastly, some folks don't like to do this, but I always advise folks to weigh themselves every single morning, naked and 'empty' as possible, and enter that morning weight every single day. It will usually fluctuate up and down as the days pass, 'cause JUDDD brings on some huge weight fluctuations, but that doesn't matter. Just write that morning weight down each morning, and at the end of the week, total that up and then get the average weight for the week. Don't worry about the week's high weight or it's low weight.. only it's average. As the weeks go by, you'll see that average go down, down, down.

Some weeks, even though I was diligent with my JUDDD calorie numbers, there just wasn't any weight lost. Hmmmm.... that showed me that weight loss is not simply immediate and linear. I might lose after a Down Day, but that was just from an empty gut. I might lose after an Up Day and gain after a Down Day. Sometimes no rhyme nor reason to it, seemingly. But overall, the weight goes down, and averaging the weeks and comparing them to those before will show you.

Just be patient. You're going to have this working for you.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-16-2012 at 11:08 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #5

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I am sorry you are struggling. One thing I can suggest, don't weigh on the scale everyday. I weigh once a week at most and only after a DD!

Looks like you have other great advice already!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
I am sorry you are struggling. One thing I can suggest, don't weigh on the scale everyday. I weigh once a week at most and only after a DD!

Looks like you have other great advice already!
I had to quit weighing also. Believe me if I weighed every day, I would never had stayed on JUDDD. It works and it is better to stay away from the scale and let the miracle happen.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #7

If you are a person who lives and dies by the number on the scale each day, maybe that's good advice. I monitor my daily weight but don't worry about the number much unless it's climbing and not falling back down again. I wouldn't like not to note my weight each morning, but we all get to do what works most comfortably for us emotionally.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #8

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I follow Pat's law of averages, too. I actually cheat and do both. My spreadsheet has my actual loss from week to week, my daily weight, and my average loss from week to week, among other little tidbits of information. Sometimes it's all I need to see that the average has gone down, even though the Monday to Monday weight shows no loss, or sometimes even a gain! I've learned to trust in the process and have lost a great deal of weight doing so.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am a daily weigher and log my weight everyday on a calendar. I can see the ups and downs and any patterns that appear. For me, not weighing would be my downfall. But everyone is different so each person needs to choose what works for them.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I am a daily weigher and log my weight everyday on a calendar. I can see the ups and downs and any patterns that appear. For me, not weighing would be my downfall. But everyone is different so each person needs to choose what works for them.
I do this too, and I think it was actually seeing all the ups and downs spread out daily over a month, and seeing the weight loss that had occurred from the beginning to the last of the month, that finally got me beyond worrying about every little bounce back up.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaos0100
Stats: 415/269/
WOE: JUDDD - started 6/25/12
Start Date: 3/27/12
I'm not new to JUDDD, been doing it since 6/26, however, I haven't really lost anything since 9/11. The advice I was given was to get in all my up day calories, which I wasn't doing. This past week, after doing that, I lost 4 pounds. Now, I've bounced back up about 5 pounds....and that is not going over my down calories AND getting in all my up day calories. I don't know what the crap is going on, but it's getting me down.

No advice for you...just wanted to say I feel your pain and try to keep on keeping on.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Karen

So sorry you are having the bounce up. I don't know what to tell you about that. It would make me crazy too. I just have the feeling that it'll come back off as quickly as it appeared. It can't be a fat gain that fast, so it must be water weight.

I feel for you, and I hope you'll stick with the plan long enough to reap the reward of a good loss. I find the ups and downs really get to me, which is why I decided to only weigh once a week after DD. But then I got excited about high fat DDs and started weighing after each DD. Worked for a week and then I got frustrated. Now I think I'll go back to weekly only.

Hang in there!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos0100 View Post
I'm not new to JUDDD, been doing it since 6/26, however, I haven't really lost anything since 9/11. The advice I was given was to get in all my up day calories, which I wasn't doing. This past week, after doing that, I lost 4 pounds. Now, I've bounced back up about 5 pounds....and that is not going over my down calories AND getting in all my up day calories. I don't know what the crap is going on, but it's getting me down.

No advice for you...just wanted to say I feel your pain and try to keep on keeping on.
Hi, Karen. What you are going through now has to be awfully maddening. Do you know that your calorie numbers are set correctly at this time? (And at the *little or no exercise* level that almost all of us use LOL) I would be happy to figure it for you if you'd like me to do that for you, check it for accuracy, although you undoubtedly are sitting at the correct numbers if you've already lost weight on JUDDD.

One thing I do know is that we can have water weight gains in a flash from so many things we eat or do on the preceding day, and the gain always seems to come on faster than a whoosh takes it away again.

If there is any way I can be of help to you, please don't hesitate to ask. I wish you nothing but great success on JUDDD.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Hi, Karen. What you are going through now has to be awfully maddening. Do you know that your calorie numbers are set correctly at this time? (And at the *little or no exercise* level that almost all of us use LOL) I would be happy to figure it for you if you'd like me to do that for you, check it for accuracy, although you undoubtedly are sitting at the correct numbers if you've already lost weight on JUDDD.

One thing I do know is that we can have water weight gains in a flash from so many things we eat or do on the preceding day, and the gain always seems to come on faster than a whoosh takes it away again.

If there is any way I can be of help to you, please don't hesitate to ask. I wish you nothing but great success on JUDDD.
Thank you so much for well wishes. Yes, I'm using 20% and little or no exercise. The caculator gives me 490/2448. Maybe it is water gain, who knows? I really don't have TOM anymore due to the Mirena that I have, so I don't think that could be the culprit. I weight and measure everything that I eat and count calories religiously.
Kaos0100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Thank you so much for well wishes. Yes, I'm using 20% and little or no exercise. The caculator gives me 490/2448. Maybe it is water gain, who knows? I really don't have TOM anymore due to the Mirena that I have, so I don't think that could be the culprit. I weight and measure everything that I eat and count calories religiously.
Well, our standard advice for this is.. just keep at it. Sorry that it isn't anything better than that. It's just that nobody really knows why our bodies do their terribly confusing and seemingly unpredictable things when it comes to that number on the scale. I'll bet you're in the middle of a *you'll-have-to-wait-it-out* period.

You have my understanding and sympathy about this, as I've been there too. I guess just keep on keepin' on. Hopefully by this time next week, you'll have lost this gain and it will take another pound with it!

I know when I was early in JUDDD, I wanted to eat everything in my diet with no exclusions of various foods, and I knew I wanted to eat higher carbs. So I simply carbed up. I knew I'd gain weight on the scale from doing that, but also knew it was only water weight, not body fat. After that gain, I could see the weight loss starting in again, and I knew it was fat that was melting away.

My weight still fluctuates and can do so by several pounds from one day to the next, almost entirely based on the foods I eat, but also on weird things like spending a day at the mall, walking on the hard floor surface for hours, etc. I just don't even worry about it anymore and just keep going. In the end, it all works out nicely.

Good luck with your JUDDDing. I know you will be very successful and thrive here!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you all. I love JUDD and I will keep on keeping on. I want to beable to help people down the road when I have the success you guys do. I got a new rejuvenation after reading Carly's post of all her weigh days and the bounces. I think when you see it there in front of your eyes it like a light went on. OK I get it
Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Oh I have to weigh everyday. I need to keep track of whats going on too. I keep it in my journel. I want to beable to look back on it if I need to.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I'm sorry Karen. I just know today I just got bummed cause of the scale. I hate the way the scale can dictate your mood. But you know when we put our all into it we want to see results. I am going to try to be patient and know that I am doing something postive and I will get postive results.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #20

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I'm late here, just sending hugs to you and Connie, and anyone else who is feeling down.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
... I really don't have TOM anymore due to the Mirena ...
I really don't have TOM anymore due to a hysterectomy twenty-something years ago (kept the ovaries) and being waaaay post-menopausal. But, by watching my log, I realized I really do have a small water weight bounce the same time each month when those dried up little beans try to ovulate, and I do have a 'starving' DD or UD accompanied by a bounce every month when an organ that is not even there anymore tries to do it's phantom thing.

Hormones are amazing.

Watch your log - you may see patterns that help explain what is happening.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm going to keep going. Otherwise, it's go back to the old way and gain back everything I've lost. I've done nothing but BOUNCE for the past 5 weeks and I haven't seen a real pattern to it yet.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Thanks for all your replies.

I'm going to keep going. Otherwise, it's go back to the old way and gain back everything I've lost. I've done nothing but BOUNCE for the past 5 weeks and I haven't seen a real pattern to it yet.
Karen, do you weigh less now than you did five weeks ago? Because bouncing is normal for JUDDD, but no actual weight loss isn't.

I likened weight loss, particularly on this plan, as being like a rubber ball, bouncing down a long flight of stairs. As it bounces and bounces, it is still bouncing downward. Each bounce may take it higher than its low point on the stair above, but then it continues its downward bouncing and keeps going down.

So our weight loss looks a lot like that bouncing ball, and it should be going downward overall. And it may be bouncing downward in slow motion, but it should still, even if slowly, be going downward.

If your scale weight is bouncing, but not bouncing downward at all, it's time to re-evaluate what is being done and what is happening and why you aren't losing weight. If five weeks have passed without weight loss, re-evaluation may reveal where a tweak or two is needed.

I want this plan to be successful for everyone. It's fun to be able to eat so very well and luxuriously on our Up Days, but when they're combined with our Down Days and we're not getting any weight loss.. time to take another look at the overall picture.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hvrijssa
Stats: 118/110/100
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012
Karen, I've also been bouncing up and down for a month now, without actually losing anything. 09/14 my weight was 111.9 and today it is 111.7. But as the girls here say I'm waiting for the 'woosh' fairy to pay a visit. Meanwhile I continue to follow judd and exercise a lot (I spend 1.5h at the gym 3X/week).
I still believe in judd!

Pat
Hvrijssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Karen, do you weigh less now than you did five weeks ago? Because bouncing is normal for JUDDD, but no actual weight loss isn't.

I likened weight loss, particularly on this plan, as being like a rubber ball, bouncing down a long flight of stairs. As it bounces and bounces, it is still bouncing downward. Each bounce may take it higher than its low point on the stair above, but then it continues its downward bouncing and keeps going down.

So our weight loss looks a lot like that bouncing ball, and it should be going downward overall. And it may be bouncing downward in slow motion, but it should still, even if slowly, be going downward.

If your scale weight is bouncing, but not bouncing downward at all, it's time to re-evaluate what is being done and what is happening and why you aren't losing weight. If five weeks have passed without weight loss, re-evaluation may reveal where a tweak or two is needed.

I want this plan to be successful for everyone. It's fun to be able to eat so very well and luxuriously on our Up Days, but when they're combined with our Down Days and we're not getting any weight loss.. time to take another look at the overall picture.
Pat, I weigh exactly the same today as I did 5 weeks ago. This past week, after getting in all my UD calories (which I wasn't doing), I lost 4 pounds. Since Sunday, which was my weigh day, I've bounced back up those 4 pounds. So back where I was on 9/11.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Pat, I weigh exactly the same today as I did 5 weeks ago. This past week, after getting in all my UD calories (which I wasn't doing), I lost 4 pounds. Since Sunday, which was my weigh day, I've bounced back up those 4 pounds. So back where I was on 9/11.
OK, no real weight loss means there's a problem somewhere, and probably not one faced by most of us here. Not that it can't be overcome, but that it needs to be identified. And that often takes a bit of thinking and tweaking. So here's where it can get really tricky. There can be so many things in play, but once you find out where you need to sit and what you need to do, you're usually on your way.

An example of a problem would be people who have to be on certain medications that make weight loss extremely difficult and weight gain hard to fight. They need to have their meds, but they have to work harder for the weight loss. Most often the calories have to be lowered, and sometimes that's LOW, but then the weight loss kicks in because the body simply can't refuse it anymore.

One of the big individual problems can be that the UD calories are simply too high, regardless of the fact that the calculator says those are your numbers. We get used to the idea that the UD calorie figure given by the JUDDD calculator is always correct for everyone, but that's not always the case. (Usually, but not always..) Because it's based on averages, and we don't all end up being close enough to those averages to make it work for us.

Leo is a good example of someone who had to hold UD calories quite a bit lower than the number given, and do a very low DD, else the weight just wouldn't come off. Not fun, but it is what it is. She was told she simply has an absolute and chronic low metabolism, so in order to lose the weight she wanted OFF, she did what it took, which was getting the calories down where they needed to be for her to lose weight. And she's at goal these days from being morbidly obese, and she did it on JUDDD. So she's an example of what it sometimes takes to get where you want to be, where you want to be to live your life. And she improved her health immeasurably along the way. As we all do.

There are occasional folks who state that they are counting calories, but in fact.. they're estimating calories, and not very accurately, and not writing much down, and forgetting what all they actually ate, and they are simply eating too much to lose. They don't weigh and/or measure their portions. Instead they eyeball and guesstimate their portion sizes instead and aren't very accurate. But I don't think this applies to you.

And some only track calories on Down Days but not on UDs, and then run into trouble because their untracked UDs are going too far overboard to allow for any weight loss. But again, this doesn't seem to be you.

So here are some questions..

Do you think you come from a family of *easy keepers*? Are most or all of your family members heavy? Your relatives?

Are you hypothyroid? Have you been checked recently? What was tested for? Are you on other meds? Do you have high blood pressure? Take meds for it?

What would you say your activity level is? Do you get out for a good walk daily, for example? Do you have a job that requires you to be seated for most of the day? Do you go to a gym or fitness club? How active or sedentary do you think you are?

What is your age and height and current weight?

Here's an important thing to know. Everyone has a maintenance level of calories. So if you eat that amount of energy every day, you should pretty much maintain body fat, but with that range of up/down weight fluctuation that we know is normal. But not much loss or not much gain. Maintenance.

The JUDDD program takes our maintenance calories and divides them, so neither of our days is our true maintenance calorie level. Even when we are goal, we will still be eating more on one day and less on the other. Because our UDs will be over our maintenance calories and our DD will be somewhat below our maintenance calories. This keeps our up/down alternating consumption going, even after we're at goal.

Some people simply have metabolisms that run enough slower that their numbers don't work. When that is the case, those numbers have to be lowered. When we urge people to eat all of their UD calories, it's usually good advice and helps weight loss. BUT THAT ISN'T ALWAYS THE CASE. Sometimes, when that given number is too high for a particular specific individual, the number has to be lowered.

I can't tell you why the 4-pound loss that was promptly regained. I strongly suspect something triggered a water weight loss whoosh, which was quickly followed by a water weight gain replacement... that the loss wasn't body fat. I'm sorry to say that, but it's what I think.

Let me figure your numbers for myself and think for a minute. Will you let me do that? I'll need your age, height, and current weight. And then let's see what we can come up with.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
OK, no real weight loss means there's a problem somewhere, and probably not one faced by most of us here. Not that it can't be overcome, but that it needs to be identified. And that often takes a bit of thinking and tweaking. So here's where it can get really tricky. There can be so many things in play, but once you find out where you need to sit and what you need to do, you're usually on your way.

An example of a problem would be people who have to be on certain medications that make weight loss extremely difficult and weight gain hard to fight. They need to have their meds, but they have to work harder for the weight loss. Most often the calories have to be lowered, and sometimes that's LOW, but then the weight loss kicks in because the body simply can't refuse it anymore.

One of the big individual problems can be that the UD calories are simply too high, regardless of the fact that the calculator says those are your numbers. We get used to the idea that the UD calorie figure given by the JUDDD calculator is always correct for everyone, but that's not always the case. (Usually, but not always..) Because it's based on averages, and we don't all end up being close enough to those averages to make it work for us.

Leo is a good example of someone who had to hold UD calories quite a bit lower than the number given, and do a very low DD, else the weight just wouldn't come off. Not fun, but it is what it is. She was told she simply has an absolute and chronic low metabolism, so in order to lose the weight she wanted OFF, she did what it took, which was getting the calories down where they needed to be for her to lose weight. And she's at goal these days from being morbidly obese, and she did it on JUDDD. So she's an example of what it sometimes takes to get where you want to be, where you want to be to live your life. And she improved her health immeasurably along the way. As we all do.

There are occasional folks who state that they are counting calories, but in fact.. they're estimating calories, and not very accurately, and not writing much down, and forgetting what all they actually ate, and they are simply eating too much to lose. They don't weigh and/or measure their portions. Instead they eyeball and guesstimate their portion sizes instead and aren't very accurate. But I don't think this applies to you.

And some only track calories on Down Days but not on UDs, and then run into trouble because their untracked UDs are going too far overboard to allow for any weight loss. But again, this doesn't seem to be you.

So here are some questions..

Do you think you come from a family of *easy keepers*? Are most or all of your family members heavy? Your relatives? Yes - most of my family, and not just immediate family are at least moderately overweight.

Are you hypothyroid? Have you been checked recently? What was tested for? Are you on other meds? Do you have high blood pressure? Take meds for it? I'm not on any medication at all...no diabetes, high blood pressure

What would you say your activity level is? Do you get out for a good walk daily, for example? Do you have a job that requires you to be seated for most of the day? Do you go to a gym or fitness club? How active or sedentary do you think you are? My activity level is low I would say. I do have a job that requires sitting most of the day. I have not been exercising at all.

What is your age and height and current weight? Female, 45, 5'2", 300 lbs.

Here's an important thing to know. Everyone has a maintenance level of calories. So if you eat that amount of energy every day, you should pretty much maintain body fat, but with that range of up/down weight fluctuation that we know is normal. But not much loss or not much gain. Maintenance.

The JUDDD program takes our maintenance calories and divides them, so neither of our days is our true maintenance calorie level. Even when we are goal, we will still be eating more on one day and less on the other. Because our UDs will be over our maintenance calories and our DD will be somewhat below our maintenance calories. This keeps our up/down alternating consumption going, even after we're at goal.

Some people simply have metabolisms that run enough slower that their numbers don't work. When that is the case, those numbers have to be lowered. When we urge people to eat all of their UD calories, it's usually good advice and helps weight loss. BUT THAT ISN'T ALWAYS THE CASE. Sometimes, when that given number is too high for a particular specific individual, the number has to be lowered.

I can't tell you why the 4-pound loss that was promptly regained. I strongly suspect something triggered a water weight loss whoosh, which was quickly followed by a water weight gain replacement... that the loss wasn't body fat. I'm sorry to say that, but it's what I think.

Let me figure your numbers for myself and think for a minute. Will you let me do that? I'll need your age, height, and current weight. And then let's see what we can come up with.
Thank you so much for help.

This might be TMI, but going to mention anyway. I had my Mirena replaced August 1. Since then I have been experiencing intermittent period-like bleeding. Which isn't unusual after a new device is placed. It isn't really a "period" per say, but I'm wondering if maybe my body is recognizing the hormones and possibly sending me into the PMS state? Yesterday I seem to have started another "round". It is very light and may only last a few days or maybe a week but I'm wondering what kind of hormone changes are being triggered.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #28

OK, let's get to figuring.

You say that most of your family and even genetic extended family are overweight or at least moderately overweight. This is a strong indication that your genetics made you very efficient at weight gain and very good at holding onto that weight once it was gained. (Familial overweight could be because, as a family, everyone learned poor eating habits and poor food choices, but that's rarely the case for an entire extended family, so let's discount that possibility.) I think you are genetically programmed to burn fuel more slowly than most others. And that stinks, but isn't insurmountable.

So number one, I believe you probably have a slower than normal metabolic rate. Hopefully JUDDD can get that to rev up a little bit for you over time, as it does for many of us. But we'll work with what we have right now.

You said that you are not on any medications except for the levonorgestrel. At this point, we're going to assume everything is fine there, although many of us 'overweight' women were found to be hypo (slow) thyroid and do better once we're medicated. A sluggish thyroid makes for sluggish almost-everything-else, including metabolism/rate of weight loss. (So you might want to visit the thyroid forums here and do some reading and see how you feel about the possibility of checking into this more extensively.)

And the levonorgestrel can cause weight gain/slow weight loss, but it's not an estrogen, so this side effect doesn't happen much, to many. You really are probably OK with that, so let's set that aside right now as most likely OK.

You did say that your activity level is sedentary. And I would say it is very sedentary if you work a desk job, sitting most of the day, and you do not intentionally exercise. So you know the answer there. You need to begin a little exercise program. And it doesn't need to be much at all. Just the start and continuation will goad your body to operate at a better speed! Go to a mall and walk. Get a neighbor to walk with you around your neighborhood. Start with a little and increase. Or even work out in your own home. Pick a TV show that you never miss and use that time in front of the TV to include a little exercise.

Now we get to your stats, and you have the un-blessing of being short... at 5'-2" you're one inch shorter than I am. Just from that circumstance, we don't get to eat as many calories as the taller gals do. All else being equal, a woman who stands 5'-10" will get to enjoy a 13% higher calorie number daily than her shorter sister.

I did run your stats in the JUDDD Calorie Calculator, and the numbers you were given and are using are correct. However.....

I think those of us who have a lot to lose when we start simply can't take that UD calorie number we are given and rely on it. Because it is figured on a great deal of body fat, I believe it gives us far too high a calorie number to rely on. If you were 5'-2" and weighed 140 pounds (much closer to a good weight for your height), your UD calorie number would be 1614. And that is 834 calories less every single Up Day above what you might expect to eat at a lower weight. That averages out to be 5,838 extra calories every couple of weeks that are being consumed to sustain body fat weight. So almost 3½ pounds of body fat not being lost each month just because your are eating back calories based on maintaining that body fat.

I think, that in conjunction with any other factors, it will end being that you are eating too many calories to lose weight, based on your extra high given UD calorie number. And in combination with a slower than normal metabolism at this point. There are some who can do that. I think they are lucky, and also probably don't have a true genetically sluggish metabolism. They can eat there, and still lose, although they usually have to drop that UD calorie number down and down as they bring their weight down. I don't think you are as lucky.

My guess would be, my gut feeling is, that you need to hold your Down Day calories to 500 or below, and you should lower your Up Day calories as well. By quite a lot.

So, what number were you eating at before you increased your calories? What previous number was already not producing weight loss for you? This will help you determine about where your personal UD calorie number should probably be set. That's probably your next step.

What UD calorie level didn't work for you before you moved up to this level that doesn't
work?

And you will be able to be successful. Just need to find where your sweet spot calorie number is.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-17-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Old 10-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
OK, let's get to figuring.

You say that most of your family and even genetic extended family are overweight or at least moderately overweight. This is a strong indication that your genetics made you very efficient at weight gain and very good at holding onto that weight once it was gained. (Familial overweight could be because, as a family, everyone learned poor eating habits and poor food choices, but that's rarely the case for an entire extended family, so let's discount that possibility.) I think you are genetically programmed to burn fuel more slowly than most others. And that stinks, but isn't insurmountable.

So number one, I believe you probably have a slower than normal metabolic rate. Hopefully JUDDD can get that to rev up a little bit for you over time, as it does for many of us. But we'll work with what we have right now.

You said that you are not on any medications except for the levonorgestrel. At this point, we're going to assume everything is fine there, although many of us 'overweight' women were found to be hypo (slow) thyroid and do better once we're medicated. A sluggish thyroid makes for sluggish almost-everything-else, including metabolism/rate of weight loss. (So you might want to visit the thyroid forums here and do some reading and see how you feel about the possibility of checking into this more extensively.)

And the levonorgestrel can cause weight gain/slow weight loss, but it's not an estrogen, so this side effect doesn't happen much, to many. You really are probably OK with that, so let's set that aside right now as most likely OK.

You did say that your activity level is sedentary. And I would say it is very sedentary if you work a desk job, sitting most of the day, and you do not intentionally exercise. So you know the answer there. You need to begin a little exercise program. And it doesn't need to be much at all. Just the start and continuation will goad your body to operate at a better speed! Go to a mall and walk. Get a neighbor to walk with you around your neighborhood. Start with a little and increase. Or even work out in your own home. Pick a TV show that you never miss and use that time in front of the TV to include a little exercise.

Now we get to your stats, and you have the un-blessing of being short... at 5'-2" you're one inch shorter than I am. Just from that circumstance, we don't get to eat as many calories as the taller gals do. All else being equal, a woman who stands 5'-10" will get to enjoy a 13% higher calorie number daily than her shorter sister.

I did run your stats in the JUDDD Calorie Calculator, and the numbers you were given and are using are correct. However.....

I think those of us who have a lot to lose when we start simply can't take that UD calorie number we are given and rely on it. Because it is figured on a great deal of body fat, I believe it gives us far too high a calorie number to rely on. If you were 5'-2" and weighed 140 pounds (much closer to a good weight for your height), your UD calorie number would be 1614. And that is 834 calories less every single Up Day above what you might expect to eat at a lower weight. That averages out to be 5,838 extra calories every couple of weeks that are being consumed to sustain body fat weight. So almost 3½ pounds of body fat not being lost each month just because your are eating back calories based on maintaining that body fat.

I think, that in conjunction with any other factors, it will end being that you are eating too many calories to lose weight, based on your extra high given UD calorie number. And in combination with a slower than normal metabolism at this point. There are some who can do that. I think they are lucky, and also probably don't have a true genetically sluggish metabolism. They can eat there, and still lose, although they usually have to drop that UD calorie number down and down as they bring their weight down. I don't think you are as lucky.

My guess would be, my gut feeling is, that you need to hold your Down Day calories to 500 or below, and you should lower your Up Day calories as well. By quite a lot.

So, what number were you eating at before you increased your calories? What previous number was already not producing weight loss for you? This will help you determine about where your personal UD calorie number should probably be set. That's probably your next step.

What UD calorie level didn't work for you before you moved up to this level that doesn't
work?

And you will be able to be successful. Just need to find where your sweet spot calorie number is.
My UD calories have varied greatly...they have varied from 1800-2300 (prior to upping them to meet my UD calories). Usually though, I stayed between 1800-2000. Those 2300-2400 calorie days were few and far between. I just knew that I couldn't go over 2400 and that's all I worried about. I didn't even care how low they went (I've had a few 1200-1500 days also in there).

I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help. Whatever calorie level you think I should try, I will. You've had such great success, you're obviously doing something (everything) right!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #30

Quote:
My UD calories have varied greatly...they have varied from 1800-2300 (prior to upping them to meet my UD calories). Usually though, I stayed between 1800-2000. Those 2300-2400 calorie days were few and far between. I just knew that I couldn't go over 2400 and that's all I worried about. I didn't even care how low they went (I've had a few 1200-1500 days also in there).

I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help. Whatever calorie level you think I should try, I will. You've had such great success, you're obviously doing something (everything) right!
I just want you to be successful and be able to lose weight and to increase your good health and ultimately your life. We all are behind you 1,000%, and everyone else who comes here to try, who hopes for success, who asks for help.

OK, one thing you do need to understand is that JUDDD, as an alternating fasting-based eating plan, is very healing. We do find that there are some who just don't get going into weight loss as fast as others. But we think that JUDDD is still working inside them, working to bring them up to optimum running order. So sometimes we aren't able to release much fat from our cells until we're put back into better 'balance'.. So some have to do JUDDD, wait patiently, accept that it'll be a little while before their weight loss kicks in, and just go with it. But faithfully doing JUDDD every day, forming the habit, learning the tricks, enjoying the way fasting gives their digestive track a little more restful day, enjoying how they get to enjoy lovely foods on their Up Days before doing another DD. They keep the up/down eating cycle going, allowing JUDDD to aid their healing and function on the inside, even before they are experiencing weight loss. So you may still need to be patient.

You said you were sort of all over the place in your Up Day calories, not really worrying about anything except not going over. And that may actually work OK for awhile (but often not so well), although I think you should be eating at a lower UD calorie number. So since it's going to be lower, you won't want to go too much lower than that (or higher) too often. That advice to eat all your UD calories becomes more important the fewer of them you get.

How about trying this: Keep your DDs to 500 or fewer calories.

Then bring your UD calorie number down to 1800, and don't go much over or under that for the next two or three weeks. Choose nourishing foods for your UDs, so that those 1800 calories are doing a real good job for you, as they will also need to be providing good nourishment to make up for the few calories you'll be getting on your DDs.

Don't worry about doing any particular carb level. Don't worry about doing low carb. In fact, sometimes people seem to do better when they aren't real low carb. Sometimes it seems that having a bit higher carb level convinces your body that there is plenty of all THREE macro-nutrients out there, and it seems willing to release fat a bit better. Many here have noticed that they lost weight better at a somewhat higher carb level on JUDDD than they ever did on a low carb diet previously. So those extra carbs are sometimes very, very helpful. But make them 'good' carbs, not crap ones.

Think of the calorie numbers you will be eating as working like a piston, UP/down... UP/down... pounding up and pounding down, and there seems to be something about that spread in the calories, and the fact that we aren't jumping all over the place with our calories, that works magic eventually. (There IS a diet plan where the calories are all over the place, called the Zig Zag diet, but.. that isn't JUDDD. LOLOL)

Once you have your calorie numbers in place (and I think 1800/500) will be a very good place to be for quite awhile, your body will be able to switch on its SIRT1 gene, and that's nicknamed the 'skinny gene' for a reason.

Try to stick to that UD calorie number pretty closely, especially in these first weeks of this experiment, because it's more likely to get things going properly, and if it isn't a good number for you yet, it can known, because you will not have deviated from it too badly. You will be able to rely on the information you get from doing these numbers for two or three weeks faithfully.

How does this sound? I wish you nothing but great success. Losing weight is hard, but once you get *into* JUDDD, you can just sort of forget about it. It no longer seems to be a focus, but instead.. it just frees you to turn your attention outward to your real LIFE and enjoy the dickens out of it!!!!!!!!!! Hugs!