Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 227/213/160 first goal/140 ultimately
WOE: Low Carb
Who here is LC and JUDDD?

I am a newbie to JUDDD, but not to LC. I started yesterday with my first DD. Was wondering who all was doing LC/JUDDD combo and how you are doing with it? Do you have any tips or words of wisdom? Also wondering who has been able to eat fat bombs on a DD and still lose? I am thinking of trying to incorporate at least one fat bomb into my DD's because one small fat bomb will satiate me for hours. Anyone have luck with that? I've been eating the coconut oil/peanut butter/butter fat bombs with some sunflower seeds and peanuts thrown in. I love them, they are delicious, and I would like to keep eating them, and esp. on DD's I think they would come in handy to help keep me full. TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I recently went back to LC while continuing to do the JUDDD rotations... however, for some reason I gained 5 pounds, so I am rethinking that decision... (I figure I'll see how it goes for another week or so)

They usually say that it doesn't matter what you eat on a DD as long as it is within the calorie limit.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I know there are low carbers here, doing their food choices the JUDDD way, so I expect some will check in and let you know how they combine that with this rotation plan.

I'm not one of the low carbers. At all. I seem to feel better and do much, much better eating at a higher carb level than qualifies as *low* carb. The huge variety of foods I include in my diet these days seems to really keep me in healthy balance and cure a lot of what plagued me.

Hang in there. I know there will be low carbers to help you.

And welcome to JUDDD!!!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I know there are low carbers here, doing their food choices the JUDDD way, so I expect some will check in and let you know how they combine that with this rotation plan.

I'm not one of the low carbers. At all. I seem to feel better and do much, much better eating at a higher carb level than qualifies as *low* carb. The huge variety of foods I include in my diet these days seems to really keep me in healthy balance and cure a lot of what plagued me.

Hang in there. I know there will be low carbers to help you.

And welcome to JUDDD!!!!!

Thank you, Pat!! When you say you eat at a higher carb level, do you mean more like whole foods, or do you eat some sugary/starchy foods and still feel good? I'm just curious, Because for me, those are triggers for overeating, and honestly, make my tummy very bloated and I don't feel good after I eat them, so I know I am very carb intolerant. But adding in whole foods, nuts, legumes and fruits and sometimes Dreamfields pasta will be a blessing to me.
nawthwoodshuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I already wish I had a banana. I need to do some JUDDD shopping I guess!!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Hi Nawth, and !

I've been keeping things fairly low carb since starting JUDDD, and it's working great for me and I feel fantastic. About 12 years ago, I lost 94 pounds starting with Sugar Busters and winding up with Atkins. Over the next 10 years, my weight crept back up and I eventually gained all that weight back, plus a whole lot more.

In January I started low carbing again, and lost a few pounds. It was slow, so I knew I had to get serious and go to Inductions levels, which I did in March, and the weight really started coming off. In August, I hadn't stopped losing, but it had slowed DRAMATICALLY, so I called it a stall and went looking for other options. I had lost 54.5 pounds by then. I considered the Salerno diet (500 cals a day VLC), and HCG (too expensive) and found JUDDD here on LCF.

I had my first DD on Sept 4, and haven't looked back. So far I've lost 13 pounds on JUDDD. Most days I keep my net carbs around 30ish, but many days I stay at or below 20. It's just how I'm used to eating, and my body feels good if I stay away from carbs. But, I have allowed myself more fruit, and I have actually had pizza, and beans, and acorn squash, and fried chicken with real flour (gasp) and fried catfish with cornmeal (double gasp). (Not all at once! ) So I'm adding carbs back in slowly. I try not to do it every day. Mostly because I don't want to undo the improvements in the way I feel. When I eat carbs I feel "creaky" and sore and achy. I feel GREAT when I avoid them. That may change as I trust JUDDD magic more. The holidays will be a great test of that! I haven't added back much sugar or bread yet.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Hope you'll join us and find out what a great WOE, and a great bunch of people this is.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

LoCarbGal, Thank you for the inspiration! Wow, that is amazing how much you've lost! Good job! You are making me a believer very quickly in JUDDD. Being able to add in fruits, beans, etc is exactly what I want to do, yet keep my carbs on the low(er) end. I am not much for restricting ALL foods forever. BUT, sugar is a trigger for me to overeat, however, once in a great while, I would really like to be able to enjoy sugar desserts (my Mom makes a mean apple pie). But I am firmly going to proceed w/caution on that front.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawthwoodshuntress View Post
Thank you, Pat!! When you say you eat at a higher carb level, do you mean more like whole foods, or do you eat some sugary/starchy foods and still feel good? I'm just curious, Because for me, those are triggers for overeating, and honestly, make my tummy very bloated and I don't feel good after I eat them, so I know I am very carb intolerant. But adding in whole foods, nuts, legumes and fruits and sometimes Dreamfields pasta will be a blessing to me.
1. do you mean more like whole foods.......... answer is YES

2. do you eat some sugary/starchy foods and still feel good.......... answer is YES

Yes, I eat at a middle carb range average on my Up Days, and much higher than low carbers do on all of my Down Days too. A 'low' carb day for me would be in the 50s and that is only attained on Down Days by virtue of not eating much food. So naturally carbs are lower as well as those DD calories.

My Up Days are almost always above 150 carbs, often enough even above 200 carbs, although rarely/almost never above 300 carbs, which is what they label the *Standard American Diet* level of carbohydrate consumption.

I really didn't like (hated) low carb. I didn't thrive on it. I didn't feel well on it. Often I was nauseous on it. I was somewhat depressed on it. I felt irritable and crabby and on edge on it. It just really did a number on me.

And the longer I was on it (see the date I started at LCF) the more I seemed to grow strangely unbalanced concerning more and more foods, had to depend on pills to give me known nutrients that were lacking in my diet, hated fighting muscle cramps in my calves and feet/toes from lack in my diet, having to search for something to help chronic bouts of constipation, and the worst thing of all.. I didn't really lose weight on low carb. (Well, I think I must have just eaten too many calories, 'cause I didn't get that appetite suppression that most speak of.) And, I also didn't get that high level of energy that gets touted from it. Rats.

So I wanted to go back to eating the foods and the meal types that my mother served us way back when I was a kid and everybody I ever knew was slim... That was in the 1940's and 1950's when I was growing up. And those meals included ALL FOODS. But we didn't eat all day long, and we didn't eat enormous portions, and we didn't eat junk food, and there was very, very little in the way of commercially processed and manufactured foods with lots of strange added ingredients.

And lo and behold.. our appetites were *normal* and there were almost no food sensitivities or allergies among us.. certainly compared to today. So, I just wanted to eat that way again. And I do.

So I eat eggs and bacon. But I also enjoy buttered toast with red raspberry jam. And a little glass of orange juice. Sometimes I have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, with brown sugar in it. Sometimes waffles with syrup.

I am a HUGE lover of salads, BIG salads, with all kinds of salad veggies and chunks of meat on them, etc., but I also really love real sandwiches with REAL bread. I'm a big fan of artisan breads of all kinds. Right now, the loaves I have in my kitchen are cottage white, kiev pumpernickle, and rosemary garlic. I just finished a multi-grain with seeds and nuts, and a marble rye. So yes, I eat bread.

Suppers often include potatoes, fixed in any of the traditional ways.. mashed or baked, fried up or as French fries occasionally. I baked a coconut cake yesterday for DH. I had a piece of it. I won't have any today, because it's a DD. Maybe I will have another piece tomorrow. Maybe. I quite often don't.

The thing is.. most of my diet is made up of the same low carb foods that everyone else eats on their low carb diets. I eat all the meats and seafood and eggs. I eat the cream and butter and cheeses. I eat all the low carb veggies and berries and nuts, etc. that all low carbers get to enjoy. I LOVE those foods, and they are the bulk and base of my diet. But I also include all the other 'no-no' fruits and veggies. The higher carb ones. And I include grains and natural sugars.

I think the trick for me is that I don't eat a LOT of the higher foods. JUDDD normalized my appetite level and cravings after I was on it awhile. So, yeah.. I still adore real chocolate chip cookies, but I no longer feel the compulsion to eat the whole homemade batch! I'm not going to be without chocolate fudge in my life ever again, but I don't eat it very often. LOLOL

The longer I've remained on JUDDD, and true to eating the JUDDD way, the more normal my body is reacting to food again. To all foods. I don't get bloated. I don't overeat on bread, as example. I don't feel sluggish. I don't suffer any adverse reactions to any of the foods I include in my diet.

My fasting glucose number is lower now than when I started JUDDD by almost 20 points, although I was never diabetic or even 'pre'... My blood lipids are great, all my labs are great, and the best part of it all is this: I feel GREAT. I feel JOYOUS. I am filled with energy and a feeling of vitality! I thrive. JUDDD has allowed me to feel like I used to so many years ago when I was much younger. Low carb just didn't do that for me.

I can't tell you how you should eat, what foods you should allow yourself to enjoy or keep yourself from eating. Part of that, anyway, is not going overboard on any one thing anyway. But I can tell you that if you follow JUDDD as it is done here by the successful people on this forum, I don't doubt that it will work for you too. For some folks, they just take off and start losing weight right off the bat, while eating more kinds of foods. Others increase the carbs they are eating and actually gain some weight at the beginning, because they are carbing up a little and regaining some of their lost water weight, but then they reach their balance and start losing their body FAT, which is what they were always after anyway. -- Some are on JUDDD for awhile before it seems to start working for them. We are of the opinion that JUDDD, which is known to be a very healing way of eating, is doing some internal work on them, and healing something that needed working on. Occasionally JUDDD needs a little tweaking, but really.. that's hardly ever warranted. Usually the person finds they aren't really following their calorie numbers closely enough, so that's an easy fix.

I want you to really gain the benefits to your health that JUDDD gives us, and the weight loss too, of course. As to your food choices, JUDDD doesn't care. It works with most all food choices if you respect your calorie numbers.

Maybe as time goes by you will find you feel increasingly comfortable including more carbs in your diet, and including a wider variety of 'carby' foods in your diet also. Good luck using this eating plan! It can seem almost miraculous and is certainly a lot of fun!

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-16-2012 at 09:15 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Pat, I can't thank you enough for your words. Funny thing is that I grew up eating the same way you did. My Mom was a stay at home and we had a farm and grew and made everything ourselves. From milk (whole unpasteurized, right from the cow) to homemade bread, cheese, etc....And my Dad is a meat and potatoes eater. But to think I could reincorporate all those things back into my life is a wonderful thought (and not gain weight). I plan to attempt to start incorporating fruits and legumes and see how it goes and then hopefully I can begin with grains again eventually. I too do not eat processed foods, only whole foods, and we grew a garden this year so I have lots of frozen veges home grown. We raised pigs and a cow, so I have lots of meat, too. Luckily, I don't eat out at all, so there's no issues there either. I cook all my own food. This seems to be a very freeing WOE, and I look forward to continuing this WOE.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kare30bear
Stats: 5' 3": 201(16/17)/137.4(5/6)/120(?)
WOE: LC/JUDDD (6/20/12)
Start Date: LC 3/7/11; restarted LC 4/30/12; JUDDD 6/20/12
I do LC w/JUDDD but it's more of a preference due to my tolerance of processed carbs. I have read a lot of the JUDDD threads where others can handle doing it without restricting their carbs though so it's basically good either way.

I lost the majority of my weight with LC, just started JUDDD 6/20/12 and have lost almost 20 lbs since. It's coming off a little slower now that I am closer to my goal weight, plus I have had spurts of straying off plan here and there but I am loving this way of eating. I feel more in control of what I put into my mouth and body now.

If you can afford to insert the fat bomb on your DD I say go ahead and try it out and see what happens. the worse that'll occur is you notice it isn't helping and then you can go another route. I've noticed if I incorporate more protein items on my DDs I do feel fuller longer.

Good luck in your journey, I wish you much success.
kare30bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I have tried JUDDD with LC but I just much prefer eating whatever I want to and just count calories.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kare30bear View Post
I do LC w/JUDDD but it's more of a preference due to my tolerance of processed carbs. I have read a lot of the JUDDD threads where others can handle doing it without restricting their carbs though so it's basically good either way.

I lost the majority of my weight with LC, just started JUDDD 6/20/12 and have lost almost 20 lbs since. It's coming off a little slower now that I am closer to my goal weight, plus I have had spurts of straying off plan here and there but I am loving this way of eating. I feel more in control of what I put into my mouth and body now.

If you can afford to insert the fat bomb on your DD I say go ahead and try it out and see what happens. the worse that'll occur is you notice it isn't helping and then you can go another route. I've noticed if I incorporate more protein items on my DDs I do feel fuller longer.

Good luck in your journey, I wish you much success.
TY!! Yes, I am looking forward to a much more freeing WOE. I want to start slowly to incorporate higher carb whole foods into my diet, so hopefully I can eventually not have to eliminate any foods. I notice that if I eat fat/protein combo it keeps me full and satisfied. I may try having one fat bomb each DD and see what happens.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I have tried JUDDD with LC but I just much prefer eating whatever I want to and just count calories.
I most likely will eventually want to do that too. I am wanting to slowly add in carbs to my diet, but my whole idea is to keep my diet full of whole foods, just don't want to have to eliminate certain things. I love fruits, corn, peas, beans, potatoes (inc. sweet potatoes), winter squash...well, you get the idea. I hate having to eliminate all those things, cause I really think they are very good for you and that the carbs you get from whole foods are good, not bad.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawthwoodshuntress View Post
I most likely will eventually want to do that too. I am wanting to slowly add in carbs to my diet, but my whole idea is to keep my diet full of whole foods, just don't want to have to eliminate certain things. I love fruits, corn, peas, beans, potatoes (inc. sweet potatoes), winter squash...well, you get the idea. I hate having to eliminate all those things, cause I really think they are very good for you and that the carbs you get from whole foods are good, not bad.
In other words, much as Dr. Atkins advocated for us. don't know where the world got the idea that he wanted people to only eat meat and almost no fruits or veggies. Or even grain. I have his Atkins for Life book (among others), and in it he lays out menus for 40 days at his various levels. In Ongoing Weight Loss, he is already including many of the whole foods you are hoping to include, and in his Pre-Maintenance and Maintenance levels, he is including in those menus for us things like.. a small potato, a whole wheat dinner roll, etc.

He never intended for his followers never to be able to eat any of those foods again. He intended for us to learn HOW to eat whole foods again.

Of course, his design was based on the 'count carbs and not calories' and here we count calories, period. But the concept is still the same. If you want to include beans and corn and potatoes and bananas, you will be able to do so, I expect.

Just GO SLOWLY. Which is another thing Dr. Atkins advocated.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stepinthyme
Stats: 289/???/190 - 5'-8"
WOE: Low Carb/Counting Calories
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Welcome to JUDDD, Nawthwoodshuntress!

I'm doing JUDDD low carb style. I'm prediabetic, and I really can tell the difference in how I feel depending on the carb levels I'm taking in. Having said that, here's how I have tweaked what I do to fit what I need.

I generally stay under 50 carbs per day. Of that 50 carbs, about 75% of it comes from veggies. I missed restricting veggies more than anything else when I was strict LC. Weird perhaps, but very true.

I generally don't eat much processed or "franken" foods. I've learned that my tastes have evolved over the last couple of years that I don't like to eat things that I have no control over how they are prepared.

Once a month, I have a Free Day--I don't count calories, I don't count carbs, I just eat what I want and as much as I want. I'm scheduling this day when our group of friends has a monthly get-together, so it works out really well.

This is my 6th week of eating in this manner. I've lost 10 pounds and my clothes are loose enough I need to put in tucks and wear a belt. A fairly modest loss compared to some, but I'm happy with it, and I really don't care how long it takes me to get to goal, now that I've found something that does not make me feel deprived...

Best of luck to you as you travel along your weight loss journey--this is a wonderful group of folks on the JUDDD board, and I look forward to reading your posts!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Pat, you are my hero and when I grow up I want to be just like you...you have stated so precisely my attitude towards this woe. However, I have found that when I allow the carbs to be too high in proportion to the rest of my food, that I do slow down...but I'm copying your post of this morning and keeping it handy as it is so accurate to what we are all looking for, I think. Thank you...
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I encourage you to re-introduce foods one at a time and in small portions. Meaning, eat the beans with lunch but not the fruit; then at dinner have the fruit but not the beans. After eating, watch your reactions. If something feels like it is trying to be a trigger, put it aside for a week or two then try it again.

And, avoid known triggers at first. If chocolate chip cookies are your downfall, have a sugar cookie...at first. Once JUDDD magic gets established in your body savor that chocolate chip cookie. Even if it is still a trigger, you will be prepared to deal with it.

Experiment gradually. Before you know it you will be eating sandwiches ... Unless your experiments prove you have a true intolerance for gluten and/or wheat or mayo or whatever.

Have fun! Try the fat bombs. Try broth. Try eating hourly or once a day. Shock yourself and try fasting on DD. JUDDD is a learning experience in so many, many different ways.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #18

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
How could you not love these wonderful, supportive women? As good a reason to try JUDDD as any I can think of.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
I am another low carb JUDDD follower. I just feel well on LC and I don't have cravings (or very seldom!). It seems very normal to me now. The key for me is that JUDDD allows me to occasionally have more carbs (if the food is nice enough to be worth it) and not feel like I have failed in my plan.
For many years I knew that LC was the right plan for me but could never follow it tightly enough to actually lose much weight - JUDDD has allowed me to lose weight, even though it is slow!

Good luck - LC JUDDD is great!

Dee
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 339/298/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
I believe JUDDD will work with whatever diet you choose to do. What works for you and makes you happy and feel good. I am the biggest flip flopper out there when it comes to diets, but as long as I stick to the DD principle it all works out. I am currently experimenting with eating all raw veggies on DD, so far I feel really good. It is great to have a day where you are not worrying about what should I eat and focus on other things in life. You can consider your DD a cleansing day. No matter what your diet preference a good cleansing day and letting the body rest from all its work is good for everyone If you are on LC and you mess up and eat something you should not no worries tomorrow is a DD Just don't go overboard and eat everything in the pantry but a little treat no worries
Sunshinegirl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
When I first started JUDDD, after 2 1/2 years of strict low carb, I went off low carb and ate bread and such, not really paying attention to carbs. But I constantly had a stomach ache. I generally feel better if I at least stay away from bread and stay away from alot of sugar.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Everyone's different... I suspect that people who have had a lifelong tendency to be overweight, or who have been severely overweight, probably react differently to carbs (whether it is something innate or metabolic disorders that were acquired due to being overweight) than other people.

For me, one thing I have had to admit is that I have problems with wheat - not rice, not even sugar, but wheat (even whole wheat), and it's something I really need to stay away from most of the time.

Since I went back to doing LC JUDDD, I have a lot more energy (I was tired all the time before) and I feel like I look healthier.

However I feel like I need a bit of carbs when I wake up after a DD to 'recover', so I'm trying to find a balance.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote