Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lil Donna
Stats: 165.2 (highest) 150.2 (11/30/13)
WOE: LC
Start Date: Low carb started again on 11/14/13
Questions from a Newbie

I can't believe I am just now researching this diet. Why did it take me so long?

1. Do the first 2 weeks have to be shakes only?

2. I have about 15 pounds to lose to be where I will be comfortable...is this a good diet for that small of a loss? I really want a diet that I can use to maintain my weight. I am a yo-yo dieter and I just want it to stop.

2A. How long would it take to lose those 15 pounds?

3. In reading posts, I don't read where people are eating donuts, chinese food, or fast food on their up days... is this still possible to do or is it a total no-no?
Is it just too hard to do a DD if you eat crap on your UD? I'm not saying all the time but maybe once or twice a month.

4. Do I even need to think about low fat or low carb on this diet or just go by calories alone? I have only ever done Atkins and HHCG and only the very basics with that. Meat, veggie and fruit.

5. How hard is it to count calories when you have never done it?

6. Can you exercise on DD or is it just too hard?

7. Besides a multivitamin, are there other vitamins/supplements I should take?

I'm sure I have more questions but thank you to whomever answers these.

Last edited by Lil Donna; 10-15-2012 at 04:39 PM..
Lil Donna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Donna View Post
I can't believe I am just now researching this diet. Why did it take me so long?

1. Do the first 2 weeks have to be shakes only? Many of us used real foods for the first two weeks. As long as you feel confident you can measure and weigh to get an accurate calorie count, it doesn't much seem to matter what form the calories come in.

2. I have about 15 pounds to lose to be where I will be comfortable...is this a good diet for that small of a loss? I really want a diet that I can use to maintain my weight. I am a yo-yo dieter and I just want it to stop. This is a perfect diet for those who don't have much to lose, as well as for those of us who have/had plenty to lose. The benefits of this WOE are wonderful for even those who don't want to lose ANY weight.

2A. How long would it take to lose those 15 pounds? It really depends on your individual metabolism, how closely you follow the plan, etc. I lost 13 pounds my first month, BUT I had a LOT to lose. I'm averaging around 6 pounds per month now, closer to goal.

3. In reading posts, I don't read where people are eating donuts, chinese food, or fast food on their up days... is this still possible to do or is it a total no-no?
Is it just too hard to do a DD if you eat crap on your UD? I'm not saying all the time but maybe once or twice a month. I'm probably not the best example, but I eat whatever I want on UDs as long as it falls within my UD calorie limits. That includes burgers, gyros, pasta, wine, etc.

4. Do I even need to think about low fat or low carb on this diet or just go by calories alone? I have only ever done Atkins and HHCG and only the very basics with that. Meat, veggie and fruit. JUDDD doesn't care what you eat, just the alternating higher calorie days and lower calorie days. I came from Atkins and had a small initial water weight gain when I added carbs back in, but have had pretty much steady losses since.

5. How hard is it to count calories when you have never done it? Super easy. I recommend using one of the on-line trackers and especially one that has an app for your smart phone if you have one. The one I use (can't name it anymore) has an option to scan the barcode of what I'm eating and it puts it right into my tracker. Love it!

6. Can you exercise on DD or is it just too hard? There are benefits to exercising in a fasted state. Some do very well with it, while others prefer to exercise on UDs. YMMV.

7. Besides a multivitamin, are there other vitamins/supplements I should take? Nothing's required, but some have had good results with Pterostilben, or Resveratrol, or a combination. Ptero did nothing for me, and Resveratrol gave me headaches, so I take neither.

I'm sure I have more questions but thank you to whomever answers these.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Dawn nailed it, so I have nothing to add except WELCOME. If you get into JUDDD and give it awhile to get going, you will never regret it. Your health will benefit, your weight will get to where you want to maintain it, you will be able to eat any foods in the world that you enjoy and choose to eat, and you will thrive! JUDDD lets us live more 'normally' when it comes to Holidays and Celebrations, because there is always food involved. Old family favorites are no longer off limits. We can eat anything, just within our calorie numbers. It's simple, and it's easy. And once you get it going for you (rarely but occasionally needs a little tweaking of the calorie numbers) you will lose the weight almost effortlessly.

And then comes maintenance, when you will continue eating at your Up Day calories (which are never at a diet level in the first place LOL) and additionally, you will increase your Down Day calories so you are no longer all that low on those days either. Very easy plan to maintain on, and very enjoyable.

You'll still be eating all those low carb foods that you're familiar with.. the steaks and chicken and shrimp, the butter and cream and cheese, the nuts and low carb veggies and berries, etc. that everyone on low carb lives on, but you will ALSO get to add in anything else that you want. You won't pay attention to carbs much, but will pay attention to calories like your weight loss depended on it. And after a short while, it all becomes so routine and you've learned all the calorie counts already, and then it's totally easy and freeing! You'll love it! Welcome!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Pat and Dawn. I have read many, many of your posts and you both inspired me to keep reading about this WOE.

I think as soon as I can stabilize in P3 of HHCG, I will be here doing Juddd for my last 15 pounds.

Has anyone ever gone directly from P2 HHCG to Juddd for P3?
Old 10-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks Pat and Dawn. I have read many, many of your posts and you both inspired me to keep reading about this WOE.

I think as soon as I can stabilize in P3 of HHCG, I will be here doing Juddd for my last 15 pounds.

I believe quite a few have. And successfully. I'm sure some will pop in here to give you their experience when they are back online posting later this evening or in the morning.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Quote:

I did. I did P3 JUDDD and then went into P4 JUDDD. So I observed the "rules" about no starch no sugar even on UD on JUDDD during the 3 weeks of P3. Actually, I did have a couple bites of something starchy once or twice. Literally a bite or two is all though. And I stabilized great!

I'm re-starting JUDDD now after being kinda off and on again due to insomnia. Hopefully it won't come back.

You'll do great! Whatever way you decide to do it, these ladies here are the best!
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #7

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Lil Donna. I only had 10lbs to lose when I came here and I lost quickly and easily over about 2 months.

Coming from Atkins and at first I kept things LC not believing that my body would not go crazy if I reintroduced carbs. Well I was wrong, and I discovered that even after 10 years on Atkins I had something new to learn.

I now eat anything and everything and a year on I am so happy maintaining my weight and supporting these boards.

Exercising both on up and down days with no trouble.

I look forward to seeing you regularly over here .

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 161/157/140 5'7"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: September 2012
thirteenblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
I did. I did P3 JUDDD and then went into P4 JUDDD. So I observed the "rules" about no starch no sugar even on UD on JUDDD during the 3 weeks of P3. Actually, I did have a couple bites of something starchy once or twice. Literally a bite or two is all though. And I stabilized great!

I'm re-starting JUDDD now after being kinda off and on again due to insomnia. Hopefully it won't come back.

You'll do great! Whatever way you decide to do it, these ladies here are the best!
This is very good to know!!! Thank you.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

I didn't want to disappoint. Here are a couple of more questions:

1. How do you figure out what days will be your UD and DD's? Do you just keep doing one right after the other or is it on Monday you decide that M,W and F will be DD and T&TH will be UD's?

2. How do people work weekends? Does anyone ever do a DD on Thursday at 12pm to Friday at 12pm and then do an UD from Friday at 12pm to Saturday 12pm? Then follow with a down day?

3. I am really craving chinese food. How do you find out how many calories are in a dish if it is a ma and pa place? Lets say something like beef and broccoli in a brown sauce with fried rice.

4. Do you start this diet with a down day or an up day or does it even matter in the long run?

5. My calculations say: 20% DD 372, 25% DD 465 and 30% DD 558
All of my UD's are 1860. Why doesn't my UD change when my DD does?

6. Do I try to get as close to 20% as possible or does it matter if I go to 30%?

7. On UD do I need to get to 1860 but not over and not under?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
I didn't want to disappoint. Here are a couple of more questions:

OK, we'll take these questions one by one...

1. How do you figure out what days will be your UD and DD's? Do you just keep doing one right after the other or is it on Monday you decide that M,W and F will be DD and T&TH will be UD's?

You can have any days you want be your Up and Down Days. Some, and I'm one, just follow every Up Day with a Down Day, unless something special is coming up, and then I alter the rotation by inserting a Medium Day (MD) into the mix, but we'll explain that to you when you need to make a change.

Some folks have set days every week be their DDs and alternate days be their UDs, but that leaves them with that leftover day each week, so that sometimes becomes a MD. It's recommended that you wait a couple of weeks before adding those, but some don't....

2. How do people work weekends? Does anyone ever do a DD on Thursday at 12pm to Friday at 12pm and then do an UD from Friday at 12pm to Saturday 12pm? Then follow with a down day?

JUDDD goes by the time of your body's natural circadian rhythm, so a period of darkness followed by a period of light.. in other words.. one daylight period is a day. That's because of the rise and fall of so many hormone/chemical levels within us that respond to our circadian rhythm. So we feast and then fast within the framework of our preset rhythm in order to make it work the very best for us and in order to get the full advantage of all the health benefits JUDDD can bless us with.

Now you can eat half and half, as you propose, but while you are following a 24-hour clock, it is not your bodily rhythm clock, so as far as your body is concerned, it is as though you are eating low calorie each day.. never very low.. but never very high either, so you pretty much negate the value of JUDDD. Not that you can't lose weight by lowering your calories every day like this would be, just that it isn't JUDDD.

But how you diet for weight loss and everything else is completely up to you.

3. I am really craving chinese food. How do you find out how many calories are in a dish if it is a ma and pa place? Lets say something like beef and broccoli in a brown sauce with fried rice.

Have you gone online and asked for beef & broccoli with fried rice? I can't answer that for you other than to make that suggestion. (I LOVE Asian foods and eat them pretty often. I do the best I can with calorie estimates and after that.. I just enjoy in total bliss! Thank You, JUDDD!)

4. Do you start this diet with a down day or an up day or does it even matter in the long run?

In the long run, it doesn't matter. In the short term, it may, but only from this standpoint. Right at first it's hard for most people to endure a fast, even a modest one rather than an absolute one, like we do on JUDDD. So if they head into their first Down Day fully fed from their first full Up Day, that gives them a little nourishment to go on. Sort of like the HCG people spending a couple of days *loading* on everything they want to eat before starting a round. LOL

5. My calculations say: 20% DD 372, 25% DD 465 and 30% DD 558
All of my UD's are 1860. Why doesn't my UD change when my DD does?

Because your *Normal* calories, given you by the JUDDD Calorie Calculator, are the set base. They are the number of calories that is your maintenance number, plus a few. This is the number of calories all other calculation is based on. Do you want to lose weight faster? Eat only 20% of your Normal calories. Want to ease into maintenance? Eat at maybe.. 45% of your Normal calories and watch weight loss slow to almost nothing. Want to be in maintenance but still give yourself the benefits of alternate day fasting/feasting and the activity of the SIRT1 gene? Eat at about 65% of your Normal calories. (Or more.)

That number is a constant. It is - roughly - the number of calories that is your maintenance number, plus some extra to counterbalance your lower DD number, even when you get to maintenance and are now managing your weight. It allows us to continue the up/down cycle and its benefits forever.

6. Do I try to get as close to 20% as possible or does it matter if I go to 30%?

In general, the lower you can go, the faster the weight will come off. But of more importance than that is for you to be able to actually do it! Don't make yourself so hungry that you cave and then crash and burn. LOL If fasting doesn't bother you, go for it. I could never do it very well in the beginning, so I had to start at 500 calories a day. And I couldn't do that very well, very often either, so usually ended up at 700 calories on DDs anyway. But eventually I got better and my brain and my stomach got in sync with the fact that I wasn't eating much on DDs, so please stop signaling hunger!

7. On UD do I need to get to 1860 but not over and not under?

Overall you will probably do the best if you can stick that UD calorie number fairly closely. When we go too far below it too often, we tend to slow down our metabolism a bit, and that's not what we're after. It may speed up weight loss very temporarily, and then backfire. Those UD calories equal nutrition, and since your body isn't getting all that much on your DDs, it behooves you to feed it well on your UDs. Take advantage of all that calorie allowance.

Going over only cancels out some of the calories you worked to give up on the DD. Why go over in calories, knowing that by doing so you are wiping out some of the weight loss good that should be coming your way from doing a good DD previously?

So try to stay in that ballpark area. Sometimes we fail. Occasionally we indulge in an UUAD..... which is an Up, UP and Away Day. They're fun when they happen, but they don't further our goals any, so not to make a habit of it. LOL

Hope this helps. Never worry about asking questions. The more you know, the easier it is right from the start, and the more successful you can be early on.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-16-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Old 10-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Welcome you to the board!

You've gotten great advice in the above messages. I also am one who eats anything I want on my UD within my calorie limits. Fried Rice is one of my favorite foods and I have it often! I eat all sorts of things that I thought could never be in my life again and I'm doing fine. I also try now to give my body some quality nutrition as well, a sort of balancing act I guess. I don't obsess about food anymore and the freedom to eat any type of foods feels like a total gift!

I chose to start with a DD because I wanted to start on April 1st, found that if I started that day as a DD, then Thanksgiving for me would fall on an UD. If it had not been for that, I probably would have opted to start with a UD. I'm not sure it matters so much, just pick one and go for it!

Wishing you much JUDDD magic!

Connie
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
in my opinion you have just found the best WOE ever!
You have received great feed back and I would encourage you to plan... For UDs and DDs alike. Find some DD staples that work for you. I will bump some older threads that had good ideas/info.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you for all of your replies!!!

All of your weight losses are SO AMAZING!!!
I really can't believe this WOE. If everything I have read on here and in the Alternate Diet Book is true then this will truly be a miracle for me.

I do need to get a calorie counter book. Are there books out there that go in order of calories? Any suggestions? I'd rather eat more food at less calories than less food at more calories.

I think my best bet on DD's is to wait as long as possible to eat and then to nibble on this and that. I think I would enjoy that much more rather than a meal especially since I've been doing HCG and just want something other than what I have been eating!

Do any of you have your SO doing this with you? Does it help?
DH did HCG with and without me and did great. Now when he gains a few pounds, he just doesn't eat. He probably is kinda doing JUDDD but has too many dd's and not enough UD's. I think JUDDD would be healthier for him and probably get his small gains under control.

Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

In a pinch are there any fast food or sit down restaurants you would visit on a down day and if so, what would you order?

On my super busy days at work, I try not to eat til I get home at 4pm but if I am starving there is always Subway. I guess that would be safe for a DD depending on what I get.

With my daughters activities it seems like we are out and about a lot and I guess I need a back up plan if I get hungry and we are on the road.

Another question:
Has this type of diet always been around or did Dr. Johnson discover it?

Last edited by Lil Donna; 10-16-2012 at 08:14 PM..
Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
You have received some excellent answers to your great questions....and Pat, you put things so simply it is to be congratulated...

Donna, I wish you luck as you start this wonderful woe and I'm sure you and yours will find this the absolute best every as I have. I started in June and have such luck that I'm probably boring the heck out of my friends.

There are some many solutions on line, and you can just google them, or check out some of the threads at the top of this forum. There are tremendous suggestions for down day foods, menus, etc...check 'em out. And you can always check out most restaurants nutrition information on line. Most of us do that regularly...I've had DD's that I couldn't change so checked out the cafe on line and found several things within my food budget. Made up my mind before I walked in the door so ordered them without even thinking about them and just enjoyed my lunch and the friends.

You'll find, like many of us, here once you get into it, it just opens up and becomes a whole new world. I'd been low carbing for years, so didn't think counting calories would be easy, but found that it becomes second nature. Many of use settle into routines, particularly for DD's have have the same menus. For example, I lost well in the first couple of months, then have slacked off the next couple. I decided to return to what I ate in those months, and I'm starting to lose again...but I can proudly say that it's been 35 pounds I've lost on this woe, and I know for the first time I can reach goal, easily...and believe me, if I can do it, so can you.

Welcome, Good luck and lotsa luck, you'll have fun..

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 10-16-2012 at 08:32 PM..
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #17

Well Wendy's Chilli is Dawn's (Kiera'smom) standby meal, they know her order as soon as she walks in lol.

Quite a lot of partners are doing JUDDD and doing well. I don't know if you have found the link to the BBC Horizon show, Eat, Fast, Live, but it is an hour well spent, and the men find it particularly inspiring.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
When in doubt on DD, order the salad, skip or throw away half of the cheese, and reduce the amount of dressing. I carry a teaspoon measuring thingie in my purse (along with individual cleansing wipes). It is amazing how far a teaspoon of salad dressing will go on a DD.

If you don't have a kitchen scale, I encourage you to get one. I find it much easier to measure three ounces of broccoli (30 cal) than it is to measure a cup of broccoli (30 cal). And it is amazing how satisfying two ounces of chicken (70 cal) can be...on DD.

JUDDD IS hard to believe. But, golly, it sure is pleasant to live!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #19

I so agree about the scales Nancy.

As you know we don't generally use cup measures over here, and while they work well for fluid and things like flour, I am always puzzled by instruction like a cup of lettuce. Sliced finely you get a lot more lettuce in a cup than just tearing as I normally do. And then, do I push down my cooked ham or let it rest as it falls? Ground beef is easy enough but cubed meat is different... A weighing scale is so much more accurate.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #20

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
In a pinch are there any fast food or sit down restaurants you would visit on a down day and if so, what would you order?

On my super busy days at work, I try not to eat til I get home at 4pm but if I am starving there is always Subway. I guess that would be safe for a DD depending on what I get.

With my daughters activities it seems like we are out and about a lot and I guess I need a back up plan if I get hungry and we are on the road.

Another question:
Has this type of diet always been around or did Dr. Johnson discover it?
Cindy (Kissa) hit the nail on the head with my Wendy's chili. It's my go-to DD lunch almost every DD. 210 calories and it's very, very filling. I bring my own hot sauce but they have packets there as well.

At Subway, I often get a ham and turkey salad, with just veggies, and either bring my own dressing or just have them put regular vinegar on it for . . . . 110 calories! I'm not joking. It's great too. Just avoid avocado, olives, and cheese.

At Panda Express, you can get a bowl, but have them use steamed veggies instead of rice, and all their entrees have calorie counts, so you can get a big bowl of veggies and an entree for less than 300 calories if you plan for it. Their website has an option where you can create a meal and it will give you all the nutritional info based on your choices.

Many restaurants are now posting their nutritional values either on-line or in the restaurant. I've found options at Red Robin, Cheesecake Factory, Red Lobster, etc. I rarely cook, so I eat out a lot, UDs and DDs alike. Trust me, it CAN be done.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Most of us who say counting calories is easy did go through a learning curve.

It gets easy. It takes a bit of practice, yes. Then it becomes second nature and not weighing/measuring/looking up online/asking the server begins to feel uncomfortable and downright wrong. And, when dining out at mom-and-pop's-who-knows-what-went-into-this, making educated guesses based on past experience gets easier and easier.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #22

Gallery: Gracie514
Stats: 214.6/198/194.6 SECOND GOAL!!!
WOE: HCG- highest wt 250 lbs!!!
Start Date: 1/1/2014 LC 2/17/14 Hhcg
"2. How do people work weekends? Does anyone ever do a DD on Thursday at 12pm to Friday at 12pm and then do an UD from Friday at 12pm to Saturday 12pm? Then follow with a down day?

JUDDD goes by the time of your body's natural circadian rhythm, so a period of darkness followed by a period of light.. in other words.. one daylight period is a day. That's because of the rise and fall of so many hormone/chemical levels within us that respond to our circadian rhythm. So we feast and then fast within the framework of our preset rhythm in order to make it work the very best for us and in order to get the full advantage of all the health benefits JUDDD can bless us with.

Now you can eat half and half, as you propose, but while you are following a 24-hour clock, it is not your bodily rhythm clock, so as far as your body is concerned, it is as though you are eating low calorie each day.. never very low.. but never very high either, so you pretty much negate the value of JUDDD. Not that you can't lose weight by lowering your calories every day like this would be, just that it isn't JUDDD.

But how you diet for weight loss and everything else is completely up to you."

OMG Pat! I so needed to read this today I have been doing weird things like this - fasting for 20 hours on both UDs and DDs. I haven't been losing and now I think I see why. Can you explain this to me again? I've decided to make today INDUCTION DAY #1 and following JUDDD as written - not worrying about IF'ing, low-carb, or anything else!!!

From what I gathered - a full JUDDD day is really more like 36 hours including sleep, yes? Why oh why do I torture myself??
1/5/14 GOAL #1 BACK TO ONEDERLAND 3/4/14 MADE IT
3/4/14 GOAL #2 194.6 (20 LBS EVICTED FOR 2014)
TAKING IT ONE DAY AT A TIME
Gracie514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie514 View Post
"2. How do people work weekends? Does anyone ever do a DD on Thursday at 12pm to Friday at 12pm and then do an UD from Friday at 12pm to Saturday 12pm? Then follow with a down day?

But how you diet for weight loss and everything else is completely up to you."

OMG Pat! I so needed to read this today I have been doing weird things like this - fasting for 20 hours on both UDs and DDs. I haven't been losing and now I think I see why. Can you explain this to me again? I've decided to make today INDUCTION DAY #1 and following JUDDD as written - not worrying about IF'ing, low-carb, or anything else!!!

From what I gathered - a full JUDDD day is really more like 36 hours including sleep, yes? Why oh why do I torture myself??

No, don't ever torture yourself. This is both simple and easy. Easy Peasy!!! LOL Yes, JUDDD is effectively an extended fast of approximately 36 hours because it takes our full DD and adds the sleeping hours before and following that DD.

Since our bodies are set up following natural circadian rhythm, which is regulated by daylight and nighttime, we have certain highs and lows within us regulated by that natural rhythm.

If you switch your Up and Down Days into periods from NOON to NOON, you are combining half of each day into one single same circadian rhythm day.. effectively feeding your body during its up cycle about the same calories every daily up cycle. Since your Down Days are very low calorie, when combined with Up Day calories and then divided into halves to be fitted into a NOON to NOON schedule, every circadian rhythm cycle will have about the same number of calories, all lower than your normal, but none truly at a fasting or a feasting level, like we do on JUDDD. I think you could lose weight that way, but every day would simply be *a diet*. That's how your body would see it, based on it's natural rhythm cycle.

One of the strengths of JUDDD is the power of its extended 36-hour fasting period, which is then brought slamming up against the feasting Up Day of full calories. (It must be a lot like living in the caveman days when you are starving and eating whatever tubers and bugs, shoots and berries you can find one day, and then the next day.. shazam!.. somebody kills a wild hairy beast and everybody gets a real good meal before it's gone and they are facing hunger again.)

And we all get to "diet" however we want to, but as to intermittent fasting within the JUDDD framework.. nooooooo.. it's not going to happen much with me. I tried the going-all-day-without-eating-and-just-having-supper thing, and.. I didn't like it.

Hope all goes exceedingly well for you. It's exciting that you are with us and are going to start in again in a little different way. The more you read, the more sense it makes and the more you realize how easily it works if you don't fight it or try to redesign it. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kh155
Stats: 247.8/245.8/155 (to start) 5'7" 52 yo
Start Date: April 10/13
Thank you LilDonna for posting your questions!
Thanks to all of you for answering! There's so much valuable information here for those of us who are new to JUDDD.

Quote:
The more you read, the more sense it makes and the more you realize how easily it works if you don't fight it or try to redesign it. Good luck!
This DOES make so much sense and the more I read, the more confident I feel that I've chosen the right WOE for me.
Pat, your explanation of this pattern of eating has made things clearer for me. Thank you!
kh155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
No, don't ever torture yourself. This is both simple and easy. Easy Peasy!!! LOL Yes, JUDDD is effectively an extended fast of approximately 36 hours because it takes our full DD and adds the sleeping hours before and following that DD.

Since our bodies are set up following natural circadian rhythm, which is regulated by daylight and nighttime, we have certain highs and lows within us regulated by that natural rhythm.

If you switch your Up and Down Days into periods from NOON to NOON, you are combining half of each day into one single same circadian rhythm day.. effectively feeding your body during its up cycle about the same calories every daily up cycle. Since your Down Days are very low calorie, when combined with Up Day calories and then divided into halves to be fitted into a NOON to NOON schedule, every circadian rhythm cycle will have about the same number of calories, all lower than your normal, but none truly at a fasting or a feasting level, like we do on JUDDD. I think you could lose weight that way, but every day would simply be *a diet*. That's how your body would see it, based on it's natural rhythm cycle.

One of the strengths of JUDDD is the power of its extended 36-hour fasting period, which is then brought slamming up against the feasting Up Day of full calories. (It must be a lot like living in the caveman days when you are starving and eating whatever tubers and bugs, shoots and berries you can find one day, and then the next day.. shazam!.. somebody kills a wild hairy beast and everybody gets a real good meal before it's gone and they are facing hunger again.)

And we all get to "diet" however we want to, but as to intermittent fasting within the JUDDD framework.. nooooooo.. it's not going to happen much with me. I tried the going-all-day-without-eating-and-just-having-supper thing, and.. I didn't like it.

Hope all goes exceedingly well for you. It's exciting that you are with us and are going to start in again in a little different way. The more you read, the more sense it makes and the more you realize how easily it works if you don't fight it or try to redesign it. Good luck!
Thank you Pat! This makes so much more sense to me now. No more fasting until dinner I will keep it as simple as possible and follow rotations within my allotted calorie limits. If it's not broke, don't fix it right?

FYI - I did a DD yesterday following calorie limits and no fasting, and it worked!!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Thank you Pat! This makes so much more sense to me now. No more fasting until dinner I will keep it as simple as possible and follow rotations within my allotted calorie limits. If it's not broke, don't fix it right?

FYI - I did a DD yesterday following calorie limits and no fasting, and it worked!!!!
No more fasting until dinner... unless you want to!

That's just one more of the many great things about this plan. You get to eat or not eat - anything you want to eat or don't want to eat - any time you want to eat it or not eat it - on every single Down Day.

And that's the same on Up Days except you get to eat MORE!!!!!

Just follow those rotations and respect your calorie numbers.

The basic JUDDD concept is so simple that you get to sort of design your own timing and menus so that how you eat fits you the very best. Gotta' love it!

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-18-2012 at 07:34 AM..
Old 10-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Pat, thank you for spending so much time patiently explaining JUDDD for us in a concise and clear manner. What strikes me as I read your posts this time, is how this WOE is precise in the timing and calorie limits, but everything else is flexible. The precise part is actually kinda easy to follow, but the flexible part is what takes time to adjust individually.

I honestly don't know if Dr. Johnson knew how powerful his original insight into this WOE would turn out to be for us weightloss downtrodden.

I believe in the sirtuin magic

Last edited by Luv2Eat; 10-18-2012 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: spelling
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
No more fasting until dinner... unless you want to!

That's just one more of the many great things about this plan. You get to eat or not eat - anything you want to eat or don't want to eat - any time you want to eat it or not eat it - on every single Down Day.

And that's the same on Up Days except you get to eat MORE!!!!!

Just follow those rotations and respect your calorie numbers.

The basic JUDDD concept is so simple that you get to sort of design your own timing and menus so that how you eat fits you the very best. Gotta' love it!
Thanks Pat! I did JUDDD last year and it was working until I quit following rotations during the holidays. I think the SIRT1 has kicked in as I had tons of energy yesterday and couldn't sleep last night. Is this good or not???
Old 10-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Thanks Pat! I did JUDDD last year and it was working until I quit following rotations during the holidays. I think the SIRT1 has kicked in as I had tons of energy yesterday and couldn't sleep last night. Is this good or not???
LOL Love the SIR2.. I have more strength and energy than any of my elder gal pals.

I used to have insomnia like crazy. It took forever to fall asleep, and if I woke up, it took forever to fall back asleep, and to top it off, I was always a light sleeper, so DH just turning over in bed could rouse me enough to wake up.

But I am not a low carber on JUDDD, and that has made a big and positive difference for me, I believe. Since getting balanced by being on JUDDD for awhile, I now sleep like a baby every single night with no insomnia problems! Yay, JUDDD!

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-18-2012 at 09:46 AM..
Old 10-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaos0100
Stats: 415/269/
WOE: JUDDD - started 6/25/12
Start Date: 3/27/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Cindy (Kissa) hit the nail on the head with my Wendy's chili. It's my go-to DD lunch almost every DD. 210 calories and it's very, very filling. I bring my own hot sauce but they have packets there as well.

At Subway, I often get a ham and turkey salad, with just veggies, and either bring my own dressing or just have them put regular vinegar on it for . . . . 110 calories! I'm not joking. It's great too. Just avoid avocado, olives, and cheese.

At Panda Express, you can get a bowl, but have them use steamed veggies instead of rice, and all their entrees have calorie counts, so you can get a big bowl of veggies and an entree for less than 300 calories if you plan for it. Their website has an option where you can create a meal and it will give you all the nutritional info based on your choices.

Many restaurants are now posting their nutritional values either on-line or in the restaurant. I've found options at Red Robin, Cheesecake Factory, Red Lobster, etc. I rarely cook, so I eat out a lot, UDs and DDs alike. Trust me, it CAN be done.
Dawn's chili prompted me to investigate Wendy's nutritional information on their website. I see that you can get a large chili for 310 calories...the small is 210. Not sure of the portion size of either, but good to know.
Kaos0100 is offline   Reply With Quote