Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
diet fatigue - help!

I am losing momentum. I am doing rotations but I can't seem to consistently keep to my calorie limits, I'm not always counting and exercising less and less. October has been a bust so far for weight loss even though the first part of the month I was pretty good at staying on plan. It just takes so much focus and constant vigilance to make this work - at least for me it does. I simply don't have the time and energy right now - life is super busy and very stressful. I don't have time to shop or plan or cook or read this forum, never mind exercise. Ugh. Any tips to get the diet mojo back? I know I need to, that it is good for me in the long run but so many intervening factors now take precedence that I am settling for this kind of quasi-diet and I don't want to slip further into the regain zone.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
When I feel fatigued or overwhelmed, I allow myself to do maintenance levels for a month, and then reevaluate. I don't know if that will help you, but when I've done it, I've ended up feeling rejuvenated and ready to return to WLM.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12

It sounds like with everything going on right now, what you need is easy and simple.

I guess the first question, is ... do you need a controlled break? I've been thinking about what I would do if, one day, I just felt like I couldn't do another DD. I think I might try what some who have been at this a long time have done and take a maintenance break ... going to maintenance level DD calories for a couple weeks, a month, whatever is needed, and then jumping back in when they've had that break. I don't know if that would sound good or doable to you right now?

Another option to simplify could be to just count down day calories. (I'm guessing this only works if you can swing the lowish DD cals though ...). I know this doesn't work for everyone for losing, but it does simplify things. Lowish DDs would probably keep you from gaining, though, even if you didn't count UDs.

My last idea is - rotating some favorite pre-planned menus so you don't have to think about it? Even if it's tv dinners or Wendy's chili? I get the sense that things are just really hectic and I want so much for it to be easier for you right now! I'm just not sure what is most workable for you in your situation.

Wishing you relief in whatever form it needs to take. The fatigue could just be a phase that you need to pass through, and I hope we can support you right through it!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
You sound a little down.

What would happen if you took a vacation, say a week? Would you be trying to do rotations? Would you be counting? I've read others taking vacations and some do a few rotations, others don't. Whatever they gain in that short time comes off quickly when they return to rotations. The beauty of JUDDD. Maybe a short rotation vacation would be good for your brain and you would remember what you feel like before JUDDD.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
for the stress.

Moving to maintenance level eating for as long as you need is the #1 successful way to take a break.

But, if even that level of complexity is too much, how are your hunger levels? Could you fast or almost fast most of the day, every day? In previous times of stress I jumped over the Fast-5 type eating and found it very useful...not something I could do long term, but a very low-stress break.

Were/are you LC? Several people have used that as a healthy and productive break.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stepinthyme
Stats: 289/???/190 - 5'-8"
WOE: Low Carb/Counting Calories
Start Date: Restart January 2014
There have already been so many great responses to your question--but I wanted to throw in my two cents as well...

First of all, to you. I completely understand the frustration/burnout/stress you've got going on, and I do wish you the best in getting through that.

I've had a pretty stressful year myself. Moved halfway across the US for the 2nd time in 2 years, job changes, and a nasty ankle injury in May that I just found out last week is complications of previous breaks and sprains over many years. As it happens, I managed to regain 25 pounds of the 70 I lost over the past 2 years, and I have not had what I consider to be a "proper workout" since May. It is looking like my fitness future is going to have to be dramatically different than I've ever done before.

I was so stressed/depressed/frustrated, that I went completely off the rails with my food plan from February to the end of August. I really wish I had just given maintenance JUDDD a shot first. I suspect I would not have so much poundage to re-lose, and I know that I would have felt a whole lot less like a failure then I did before re-starting JUDDD in September.

My best suggestion to you is this. Make a conscious decision about what you will do, rather than a "life just took over" response. If you do something as a "plan" rather than a "reaction", I think you will find a more positive result. No matter what you decide to do, I know the JUDDD BUDDD's will be here for you as well...
Old 10-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Trying, I totally get what you're saying, and find the same thing happening to me periodically. The first time threw me into a panic. I thought I might have reached the end of the line with JUDDD, which freaked me out, because I LOVE it.
Now I know it's just a recurrent thing. It means i need a bit of a change.

I love the suggestions above. Mine may be repeating.

1. I like the plan idea. As soon as I feel the fatigue happening, I contemplate alternatives and pick the one that excites me. If I feel I can do one of these alternatives and keep the caloric cycling going, I do, in order to keep the SIRTUIN thing going. If I can't bear the cycling, I put it on pause.
I've learned that within days, I miss the cycling and gravitate back to it.

2. Alternatives I love include fast five, LCHF, LCLF (occasionally). My body seems to respond well to mixing things up from time to time.

Mostly, I'd love to say, take heart. Don't even worry if you can avoid it. We're intelligent, creative people. I suspect "diet fatigue" is either teaching us persistence and commitment, or it is a call for variety. I also suspect that if we explore it without fear (of gaining fifteen million pounds), our intuition will tell us which it is.
to you, and thanks so much for sharing this.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Hi TryingJuddd
The above suggestions should help your weight from going back up while you find some breathing space in your busy life.
I think that eating well is crucial when our life gets stressful. What if you forgot about trying to exercise at the moment and freed up some time and energy from that source of pressure?
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)

You have already received so many great suggestions. I felt a bit like giving up yesterday on my DD. I don't even know why, because when I stopped and ask myself if I was really hungry... I was not. But I was willing to give myself permission to eat if I needed to. I think that permission helped.

Maybe a maintance break is just what you need.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks all! I think I am going to stick to rotations as best I can for the rest of the month because I have a 4 day vacation planned with DH later in the month and I want some Sirt1 protection on board when I go. Until vacation I am just going to do as much as I can manage and cut myself some slack on calories and exercise as long as I can at least maintain. I did walk 5 miles yesterday but also had a lot of wine and food (UD) and didn't count. Shooting today for a 600 cal DD which should be relatively easy - that takes at least one load off my mind!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Sometimes just laying it out there takes some of the pressure off. Glad you have a plan.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #12

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Dearest TJ, so sorry life is giving you grief just now. It is tough when things are getting on top of you.

Seems to me as if you have made a good decision to do your very best, allow yourself a few more DD cals and not beat yourself up over exercise. Good for you.

I truly believe that finding time in your busy schedule to pop in here will be time well spent. JUDDD is where we find we are not alone when times are tough. And our JUDDD BUDDDs are simply the best.

Sending big
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #13

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
You know what, LIFE happens!! I think I am about where you are right now. I am tired of counting calories, over thinking down days/up days. You name it. Today I am merely trying to refocus to keep things in check. I have read these comments and I keeping them all in mind too!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #14

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
OH and I am going to try to get more premeasured controlable items back on my menu!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
TJ

So sorry things are rough for you right now. Sounds like you have a good plan, and have also gotten lots of good suggestions here. I'm glad you felt you could share your frustrations here, and as always, the support here is fantastic. It's what keeps me going.

I hope you can just do what you need to do to make your life less stressful. It is hard to keep that high level of dedication 100% of the time. You'll get through this busy, crazy time and be able to re-focus when you're ready.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks all - the good news is that my unfocused, quasi-diet has been fairly effective (so far) for maintenance. Not so good for weight loss though. I guess I have to decide about my short term priorities - a little less stress and no weight loss or a bit more focus and stress and (hopefully) some weight loss. Its a toss up because when the scale is stubborn that causes me stress. Lose-Lose situation. But the truth is that even when I am 100% true to my plan I often don't lose weight so I am leaning towards maintenance still - at least for the short term break it offers.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #17

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Good for you.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote