Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
Question for long-timers on nutrition

I've been doing this for nine weeks (tomorrow), and it really hits me some days that I've been so busy counting calories that I may not have touched a vegetable, other than maybe a salad four or five times a week. It's easy for me to do that because I eat out so much, and don't spend a lot of time at home doing meal preps.

But I figure I better start paying a little better attention. I do work to make sure I'm getting sufficient protein every day, but after that, everything is a crapshoot.

Do any of you have specific nutritional goals or veggie/fruit numbers that you try to hit while also keeping your UD/DD calories in check? Im pretty sure my salads with half iceberg lettuce are not just packing in the vitamins. Or calcium.

That Wendy's apple pecan chicken salad is pretty tasty, though.
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I try to choose a good variety of foods, but other than that, I let my cravings be my guide. I am also probably one of the few here who doesn't worry much about what I'm eating, as long as I feel good and am losing weight. Right now I'm craving grapefruit and can't find any in the stores yet. I went through an asparagus phase a few months ago. But I also crave wine and burgers.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
I, too, try to include a variety of fruits and veggies in my daily intake, including DD's but am not too worried about including a full dietary scope to ensure I'm getting the "proper" nutrition. I do take supplements including a multi so feel I'm getting a broad spectrum. And for those who insist you must get your vitamins and minerals from real food, so what! When I get to goal, I start looking more into foods...right now my fruit and veggie bins are full and I'm including what I can when I can. I check my protein, fat, and carbs as well as the calories on ******...and look at the nutrition occasionally.

BTW, Dawn, don't forget they have grapefruit sections in cans...chill 'em and you can hardly tell the difference...particularly those packed only in juice with no added sugar. I clipped my citrus fix the other day with tangelos which are just coming into season...and a bottle of grapefruit juice (small of course). I don't restrict, just having it in its season and am not going to be getting any of the South American stuff when it hits the stores...

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 10-10-2012 at 08:01 PM..
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Marla, I feel the same way. On DDs, I'm focused on what is going to be the most satisfying for the least calories. If that's bulletproof coffee or veggie burgers or 100 cal popcorn ... whatever sounds good and feels like it's going to stave off the hunger, I eat that. Sometimes it's veggies (high bulk, low cal), but sometimes they just don't sound good, and I feel as though DD calories can't be spared for something that doesn't seem like it's going to be satisfying. Then on UDs, I'm in the "enjoy every bite" mode, and there are days I just eat what I feel like eating which does not always include veggies! I'm also drawn to denser foods on UDs lately. Although I sometimes think about how much healthier I was eating on low carb with all the veggies and unprocessed foods, I know that I only would stick with it for a few months at a time and then go back to a less healthy diet than what I have now.

Although I would eventually like to go back to a more vitamin-filled diet, there are ways that I'm getting healthier now even with my nutritionally imperfect diet. I'm enjoying my meals, having a variety of foods, participating in social events without guilt, but I've lost a good chunk of weight while doing that. There's my improved relationship with the whole dieting concept, and then there's the potential benefits of IF to think about.

So I guess I'm not going to worry yet. Maybe if Dr. Johnson is right we will eventually start to crave healthier foods anyway. Two days ago what I really wanted for up day dinner was eggs, zucchini, and (full disclosure) a cinnamon roll. part way there?

Last edited by calichris; 10-10-2012 at 09:12 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by calichris View Post

So I guess I'm not going to worry yet. Maybe if Dr. Johnson is right we will eventually start to crave healthier foods anyway. Two days ago what I really wanted for up day dinner was eggs, zucchini, and (full disclosure) a cinnamon roll. part way there?
Yeah, I guess I'm still waiting for those cravings to kick in. The closest I get so far are for fruit. In fact, that's how I get those salads in--it's not really a desire for salad, but I enjoy salads with fruit in them.

I"m coming off a series of UDs where my treats intake has been higher than probably smart. In fact, I can already tell tonight that my DD tomorrow will probably be difficult due to today's sugar/carb level (I kind of took "it's my birthday" to the limit).

The funny thing is, the treats are much more about psychological cravings than physical. In fact, I'm finding that a good number of them aren't nearly as satisfying as I expect them to be. Maybe that's my gradual move in the right direction.
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Good question!

I found the trend to 'healthier' eating was very gradual. Started with 'that didn't taste as good as I expected'. Drifted into 'I sure feel good after eating..." and/or 'With only so many calories available, I want volume!!!'

I just realized, last DD I ate spinach, broccoli, okra, romaine, spring mix, baked chicken, bone broth, 5 cherries, and hwc with my morning coffee - total around 800 calories (maintenance). Yesterday, UD, I ate the same foods - just more of them and with extra butter, cheese, and cherries/blueberries - total around 1300 calories.

And yes, even with all that green stuff I am beginning to think more about nutrition and what my bod needs than I used to.

PS: pushing the limits on your birthday is merely good, common sense!!!! Nothing motivates a good DD more than knowing, when you need a celebration you can have a celebration!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 10-11-2012 at 03:26 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #7

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Thanks Mary, I didn't even think of checking the canned section. We live in a very citrus-centric region, so I tend to think only in terms of fresh citrus.

Good responses everyone. I think it does show a trend toward healthier foods when we realize the things we once wanted just don't taste as good as they used to. I sort of feel with JUDDD, like low carb, one tastes the overprocessed crap moreso than in a regular diet. I think we pay attention a little better, and only want our calories to be used on yummy food. That often equates to fresher, healthier, less processed food.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Look for veggies/fruits on DDs because we lose best (and feel best) when things continue moving along well and without the water-content fresh produce that's not as likely.

I have about the equivalent of a half-apple each morning, in whatever fruit is available. In the winter frozen berries added to plain oatmeal are great and you can add a zero-cal packet of truvia (stevia) if it's not sweet enough. I also try to include either some veggie sticks (they were a staple when I first started) or a variety tossed salad. Yes, the half Wendy's apple salad with nuts is very nice - I actually avoid it during the months they use the almonds, just because almonds aren't as good for the thyroid. (Yes, I know - their usual sugared pecans probably aren't that good in general! LOL) Also a Subway Tuna salad is bright sometimes. Check those online listings for fast food to watch calories.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I know I do not get 5-7 a day of fruit & veggie as recommended. Some days I'm lucky to have 1 of each. :/ I did start drinking a green drink daily so at least I know I'm getting something good in that direction. Doesn't pack the fiber but the nutrients are there. I use Sunwarrior's Ormus Supergreens. It's raw and organic. Expensive but at 1-2 teaspoons per day it last a looooong time.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #10

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Marla, I wouldn't worry too much. 9 weeks is early days. I have almost finished my first year and have been Maintaining since January. (I love JUDDD>)

I would say that I am now eating more healthily than I have in years. I was LC for 10 years and although I did eat plenty of vegetables I hardly ate any fruit and virtually no pulses.

I did have a bit of a carbfest when I first changed over but things have settled down. I won't say I always get in all my fruit and vegetables according to the government guidelines...but who does?

I make healthy choices for all the family and these days that works for all of us

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote