Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
14 Weeks on JUDDD -- And I'm Convinced

Today I weighed in at 263 for a loss of 2 lbs this week, 27 lbs total, 23 of them on JUDDD at a rate of 1.64 lbs lost a week. And, as icing on the cake, my most recent blood pressure reading at the doctor's office was 112/70--the lowest it's been in the years since I was put on medication to lower it.

After 3 1/2 months, I think I'm finally ready to say THIS WORKS!

So, for those of you considering JUDDD here are the weekly upsides and downsides.

Downsides

Work the Plan As Written. This week I tried some experimentation. I figured, if the fat in a bulletproof coffee can get me through a Down Day, what if I had a high fat up day (75% fat) followed by another all fat Down Day? Theoretically, this would work much like the Atkins Fat Fast and I should drop weight like mad and completely lose my appetite. Perhaps this experiment did account for the two pound loss this morning, so I shouldn't dog on it. However, it wasn't all that pleasant and my appetite wasn't significantly reduced on DDs. I'm fine restricting myself every other day. Doing it every day was a slog. I might try it again in the future to break stalls and get over humps, but I see now that the freedom of up days is actually fairly psychologically vital to me as part of this WOE. Maybe that won't always be the case, but for now, it is.

Stubbornness. This one is slightly related to the one above, now that I think I'm Wonderwoman, I keep pushing myself harder and harder. If I can get through most of the day on bulletproof coffee, why not all the day? If I can get through an entire day on bulletproof coffee, maybe I can get through two... and so on. It's definitely causing me to have a newfound confidence and respect for myself. But if I keep it up, I may be in danger of making things too hard on myself.

I still get hungry. I can handle it. I can tough it out. But now I want the magic JUDDD fairies to transform me into the kind of person who forgets to eat.

Sleep Troubles. The sleeplessness has improved this week, but it's still a bit of a factor on Down Days.

Upsides

More Energy on Down Days. Veterans told me to expect it. I'm starting to see it. I worked from the moment I woke up last night until the moment I went to bed and my head was only foggy now and again. This may be because of the pterostilbene supplements I've been taking for a few weeks now. I think I forgot to mention this before in my reports.

Get Out of Jail Free Cards. All my life, the knowledge of how to balance out my eating and the power to do it have eluded me. Since I was a little girl I have always been told, explicitly or implicitly, that I can't have that piece of cake or that delicious steak unless or until I finished dieting. So I would confine myself for long stretches of time, eating things I hated or not at all, hoping to be rewarded for good behavior. I realize now that I have been in a kind of jail my whole life. Oh, I broke out many times and behaved with all the decorum of an escaped prisoner, eating with wild abandon. But I never learned to moderate my behavior like a reformed member of epicurean society. I was an inveterate recidivist. Now I understand why people here say that JUDDD is like getting endless 'get out of jail free' cards. Because this week, we went to our favorite BBQ joint. It's a place we almost never go because it isn't appropriate for any diet...but this one. The carbs are too delicious to pass over. The fats and proteins even more so. We enjoyed ribs and potato salad and bread pudding for dessert and I didn't overstuff myself and I lost two pounds. I am liberated! And when I saw lots of chubby people in the restaurant, I felt like shouting, "LET MY PEOPLE GO!"

Starting to See the Future. This weekend I'm going to the New Jersey Romance Writer's Convention because my novel about Cleopatra's Daughter, Song of the Nile, has been nominated for a Golden Leaf Award, even though it is not a romance. (If you're in the area, come see me during the book signing!) Normally, this is the kind of weekend that trips me up--especially coming on the heels, as it does, of the Baltimore Book Festival where I went off plan. But I'm feeling at ease about this weekend. I'll try to keep to my rotations on the drive there, but once I'm at the hotel, all bets are off. I may gain some weight this weekend. And I'm okay with that, because I want to be at my professional best and enjoy a special time. When I come home, I'll go right back into rotations and that'll be that. This kind of ease makes me feel as if I could keep eating this way for the rest of my life, but because I fear commitments, I'll do the smart thing and only promise myself to keep doing this for the rest of the year. Come New Years Eve, I plan to see a skinnier me!

Last edited by stephdray; 10-10-2012 at 08:35 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Great post as usual. Congrats on your nomination. How thrilling!!!

This is what you wrote that really speaks to me:

All my life, the knowledge of how to balance out my eating and the power to do it have eluded me. Since I was a little girl I have always been told, explicitly or implicitly, that I can't have that piece of cake, that delicious steak, that bowl of homemade bisque unless or until I finished dieting. So I would confine myself for long stretches of time, eating things I hated or not at all, hoping to be rewarded for good behavior. I realize now that I have been in a kind of jail my whole life. Oh, I broke out many times and behaved with all the decorum of an escaped prisoner, eating with wild abandon. But I never learned to moderate my behavior like a reformed member of epicurean society. Now I understand why people here say that JUDDD is like getting endless 'get out of jail free' cards. Because this week, we went to our favorite BBQ joint. It's a place we never go because it isn't appropriate for any diet...but this one. The carbs are too delicious to pass over. The fats and proteins even more so. We enjoyed ribs and potato salad and bread pudding for dessert and I didn't overstuff myself and I lost two pounds. I am liberated! And when I saw lots of chubby people in the restaurant, I felt like shouting, "LET MY PEOPLE GO!"

This is how I have also felt my whole life. Only I referred to it as being in hell, not jail. So JUDDD is a get out of hell free card for me. It is pure freedom to be able to go to a place like your favorite BBQ joint and enjoy! And on top of it all, you lost two pounds. This is just a bit of a miracle, isn't it. Your attitude will see you through to your success.
Wish I could come support you at your book signing, but I will have to resort to supporting you here in cyberspace. Good luck!!

Last edited by sungoddess; 10-10-2012 at 08:25 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
A Brilliant post as always Steph, and, what a wonderful week with a 2 lb loss and a meal at a place that I wish I could attend!.

Enjoy your weekend and your signing and I do hope you get an award too.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Awesome post.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Even in the short time I have been here, I can see the transformation. Can't wait for the next chapter.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Get Out of Jail Free Cards. All my life, the knowledge of how to balance out my eating and the power to do it have eluded me. Since I was a little girl I have always been told, explicitly or implicitly, that I can't have that piece of cake or that delicious steak unless or until I finished dieting. So I would confine myself for long stretches of time, eating things I hated or not at all, hoping to be rewarded for good behavior. I realize now that I have been in a kind of jail my whole life. Oh, I broke out many times and behaved with all the decorum of an escaped prisoner, eating with wild abandon. But I never learned to moderate my behavior like a reformed member of epicurean society. I was an inveterate recidivist. Now I understand why people here say that JUDDD is like getting endless 'get out of jail free' cards. Because this week, we went to our favorite BBQ joint. It's a place we almost never go because it isn't appropriate for any diet...but this one. The carbs are too delicious to pass over. The fats and proteins even more so. We enjoyed ribs and potato salad and bread pudding for dessert and I didn't overstuff myself and I lost two pounds. I am liberated! And when I saw lots of chubby people in the restaurant, I felt like shouting, "LET MY PEOPLE GO!"
This paragraph you so eloquently wrote really spoke to me. I actually copy and pasted it into an email to my husband who is JUDDDing with me. I think that it speaks to the power of this WOE to rid me of the guilt I have associated with food for years. Thanks for sharing, Steph, and congratulations on your 2 lbs this week!
sdjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #7

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I can just see you standing in the middle of the crowded restaurant, shouting, "Let my people go!"

This does work; it really, really does. I also have moments I want to shout it from the rooftops, and free all the people I know who struggle with their weight. If only we could convince them to try it and see. Alas, it's their own decision, and people can sure be obstinate. I'm just so pleased you decided to give it a fair shake and have reaped the benefits!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/202/180
As usual, fantastic update....and I hope you win that Golden Leaf Award.
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Steph, another great update! Congratulations on your nomination and I hope you win. I just found out your books are at one of my local libraries and next time I'm out that way, I can't wait to get them! Love LOVE LOVE historical fiction!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #10

Oooh love the new Avatar, looking hot Steph.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Oooh love the new Avatar, looking hot Steph.
Thank you! My Ancient Queen was looking a bit too severe to me these days. But I might revisit her in time. I love her so!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I agree with Cindy! You look great Steph and LOVE that you are convinced! I am hoping you win the Golden Leaf Award!

I have enjoyed reading about your experiments while JUDDDing!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Thanks for another great update. I love the part about set my people free!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Great avatar!!! So nice to see you!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Wonderful to read! I am so happy that for you!
And!!! Really nice photo you've added!
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Yay! Woo Hoo! Again I say, YAY!!!!!!!
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/210/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
My goodness, I just saw your new avatar, and you are so beautiful!!

We started JUDDD at the same time, and I really appreciate your observations. I've noticed the same things at about the same time.

On "let my people go": yes to this! I hate that wonderful people feel so bad about themselves and suffer so much discrimination on a daily basis because of something they can't help! I want to hug overweight people and say, "it's not your fault; you're beautiful. Your metabolism is a little bit broken, but it's fixable."

I've been obese my whole life (until this year, thank you lcf and JUDDD) and obese people ARE my people. I don't know if I could love a naturally skinny person like I can love someone who's been overweight and knows what it feels like.

On insomnia: me too. Me TOO. The past few weeks have been just miserable. I've been reading some really old posts here on the JUDDD board, and it seems to be a really common problem with our WOE!

In reading those really old posts, I think I've found a solution that's working for me, three nights of sleep now and knock on wood...but I got some theanine serene w/relora at the health food store. It didn't work. But I kept reading old posts, and it turned out I was taking it wrong! You have to take it every day for it to work, not just when you can't sleep. Ohhhhh. It sure doesn't mention this on the label.

So I've been taking two a day for the past three nights, and I'm sleeping like I haven't slept in YEARS. I haven't slept through a night since my son was born 8.5 years ago, until three nights ago. Last night I slept 10 hours!

I'm glad you figured out the DD brain-fog problem - I was really afraid that was going to be the straw that broke the camels back where you were concerned.

Thank you for being your wonderful self, Steph! WTG!

Lynne

Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. Hopefully.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #18

Lynne that is an amazing result. So pleased that is working for you. You need to share this, as so many complain of sleeplessness here.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/210/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Lynne that is an amazing result. So pleased that is working for you. You need to share this, as so many complain of sleeplessness here.
Done! See Attn: Insomniacs! This worked for me.

Lynne
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Hey, congratulations!

I have seen your books in my library!
Low Carb Librarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Wonderful results Steph! Congrats on 2 more pounds gone! Enjoy your weekend and good luck on the award!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Yay Steph! And thanks for bringing your face to the party

All the best with signings and awards. You deserve great things.

(Your persistent wariness about commitment reminds me of couples who, having been together for ten years, still say they're not sure about whether they're in for the long haul.)
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
STEPH!!!

(but, it's not Thursday! how can we have an update a day early??? .... )

My plan is to compile all your weekly posts and get my DH to read them so he can see what's what...

As usual, everyone said everything I would've said ^ above, so I'll throw in a hearty DITTO!

Now that you "believe" that this works... does that mean we lose the weekly updates?
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
STEPH!!!

(but, it's not Thursday! how can we have an update a day early??? .... )

My plan is to compile all your weekly posts and get my DH to read them so he can see what's what...

As usual, everyone said everything I would've said ^ above, so I'll throw in a hearty DITTO!

Now that you "believe" that this works... does that mean we lose the weekly updates?
The weekly update post is on weigh day- which is after a DD (some times Wednesday and sometimes Thursday... right?)
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Great post Steph, thanks.
Congratulations on your nomination. Have a lovely time!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
... My Ancient Queen was looking a bit too severe to me these days. But I might revisit her in time. I love her so!
While I vastly prefer your smiling face, I understand why your ancient queen must not be allowed to vanish into history! HER expression was a hoot! YOUR expression is even better!

Happy Dance for the entire post! And, all duplicated anatomical items crossed for the Golden Leaf Award.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Love the pic. It is so good to see lovely you.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #28

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Steph - love reading and good luck on the award!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Beautiful you! Love the picture on your website, too! 27 pounds down! What an awesome accomplishment. KUTGW!

Enjoy your upcoming weekend to the max. It's so freeing to know JUDD rotations will take care of everything and allow life to be liveable and enjoyable.

I just returned from Seattle and am packing for Florida. I proved to myself I can stick to rotations while out of town, make it to the hotel gym and on top of that I have now totally banished my Hawaii free-for-all gain and am moving into new territory! Yippeee! This is a good way to live.

Thanks for sharing yourself with us.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 10-11-2012 at 07:59 AM..
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Just had to chime in about your new avi. You are beautiful! Enjoy your weekend.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote