Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Help, I've fallen and can't get up.

Not sure what happened. Woosh came last week and I had a JUDDD meltdown. Have not had a good DD since. UDs are fine. Haven't eaten enough calories on average to gain fat but the scales are up 5 pounds again. Today is DD. Started with 70 cal BPC, later - 1 sl bacon. Have lots of fruit and veggies for the rest of the day. Really battling defeating thoughts today. Feeling &
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
You can do this! Take a deep breath and recommit.....a couple good DDs and those 5 pounds will be gone. It's happened to me many times. On past diets it would turn into that slippery slope...5 lbs, 6, 7....knowing it was going to take me a couple weeks or more to get it back off. But that has not been true for me with JUDDD. So jump back in!
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Getting used to a new WOE can be can't it?

- My first thoughts involve Change Up your DD eating. From breakfast, have a small bowl of oatmeal, or an egg, or (my fave) a small salad with an ounce of chopped protein and a tsp of full fat dressing. Try different foods at different times of the day. Your body's needs are changing, try to keep up with them.

- My second thought is...how much are you eating on UDs? Are you eating near the calories the website recommends? If not, do it. Once you body and mind figure out the DD/UD pattern, UD eating really does seem to carry forward to DDs.

If you are eating your UD calories, try changing your DD eating (not calories as much as content) for a few cycles.

If you are eating more than about 200 cals less than recommended UD cals, eat them! And, change that around a bit too...new foods, new times to eat can be fun and very productive.

- Finally, if you log your food, look over your journey. Do hungry DDs follow one kind of UD food? I can't eat sweets after about 07:00 PM or I know I will be hungry the next morning. Look for patterns.

You are not really off track!!! Those five pounds of adjusting to JUDDD do not the future make, they will vanish very soon!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hang in there Cici, you know it isn't 5 lbs of fat. The bounces are one of the JUDDD hazards especially if you have been struggling with your DDs.

I agree with Nancy's advice. And spoil yourself with some pampering, take a long bath, have a manicure. You are worth it. The last thing you want is to allow guilt to sabotage you.

Read through some of the great threads here like the Non Scale Victory thread. There are so many favours you are doing for yourself by following JUDDD that have nothing to do with you weight. Curse those scales.

Sending you big

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #5

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I agree with the others. I love Nancy's advice to eat up to your UD calories if you haven't been. Several of us stall or gain when we don't because our bodies rebel agains too LITTLE food. Oh, what a problem! If you are eating up to your UD calories, and truly sticking to your DD calories, I think the weight will start moving again.

I also love Cindy's idea to review the NSV thread and also to do something to pamper yourself. I don't think too many of us truly take care of ourselves the way we should. I'm guilty of lavishing praise and attention on my DH and DD, but often berate myself for perceived failures that really aren't failures at all. JUDDD is teaching me that I am also worth praise and pampering. As are you!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs

Cici, I'm so sorry you're feeling discouraged. The bouncing weight and ups and downs on this WOE are disconcerting to me too. I read all about how they're normal, and people who've been really successful seem to deal with it very easily. You and I are only about a month or so in, and I guess we haven't gotten comfortable or confident enough yet to not let those bounces get to us.

I know you can do this, and that those pounds will come off quickly. Just hang in there, keep doing your rotations, as closely as possible.

By the way, your BPC calories at 70 are way lower than what I get. I'm using 1T CO and 1T butter, and I'm getting 226 calories. I've been experimenting in the last week and have not been counting those calories in my DD total, as long as I hav the BPC in the morning and don't eat anything for several more hours. This much fat seems to get me easily through until about 3:00. Then I begin to feel a little hungry. By dinner, I'm ready to eat, but I still have my whole 500 calories to work with. I've been trying to make DDs high fat. Like 80-85%. Fried eggs in butter, lettuce leaves with mayo spread over with bacon and tomato wrapped in them, chicken salad with lots of mayo, etc.

I can only speak for myself, but the last 3 DDs have netted me a 4 pound loss. I really attribute it to the fat. I don't know if that would work for you, but wanted to throw it out there.

Hang in there, Cici!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini

Maybe go off for a walk and create some endorphins? Sometimes breaking your routine can help. And of course, all your JUDDD Buds are here for you.
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Cici, I love all the thoughts so far.
I'll just add that, for me, self-defeating thoughts are a part of our histories when we deal with weight and eating. So there is no failure in them showing up. In fact, they'd better show up here (over and over in my case) in order for us to learn our way through them.
I don't love those feelings, but over time and with repetition (), I'm starting to get that they're just a wee part of my big picture. They're not going to throw me out of JUDDDing for more than a day or two and they're not stopping me from heading in the right direction. They're just reminding me I'm human.
Breathe, accept everything I am, be kind to myself, and keep my eye on where I'm headed.
Just me yapping to myself once again.
to you.

Last edited by Joyjoy; 10-08-2012 at 09:30 AM..
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Have you eaten 17,500 extra calories since you fell off the wagon? If not, I think you can pretty safely conclude that's not fat

Take a deep breath. Resign yourself to the fact that your DDs are going to be hard again for a while. But you can manage it. You've got this
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks to everybody for the encouragement and suggestions. You are dear. Everybody is so happy around here, I hate to complain but I think my brain chemicals are wacky or something. Logical person knows this is just a hiccup. Emotional person feels like the end of the world. I have been adjusting things to try to make it more workable but haven't found my groove yet and not good at the white knuckle approach. Feels too much like other diets. So here is what I've tried.

Everyday I wake up early (4:30-5:30) and hungry. My BPC uses 1tsp each butter/CO instead of T so only 70 cal. It helps me get by until about 9. Have only used it a few times. The longest I ever went without food was noon but that was having eaten late the night before. I have added quite a bit of activity this past week but that should be a positive thing, right, and really I am so pitifully out of shape that surely I have not added any muscle weight.

DD:Have tried all kinds of combinations and occasionally I have a good day. My last good day was all fruit and a huge day of walking so that I was in negative calories and it was a perfectly happy day with other people. I have had a mostly fat day that worked quite well too. The problem is nothing seems to work the second time I try it. I raised my DD calories to the 488 last week in an effort to make the DD easier.

Generally, I think UDs are okay. I eat a big breakfast and just about anything I want after that and feel fully fed by 7. Forcing calories after dinner has seriously backfired throwing me into binge mode so I won't do that again. I try to get more calories in early. I usually get close to UD calories since I adjusted down for age. My normal diet is quite high in fat plus lots of veggies and enough starch to make me feel a little guilty. Eating more starch is a little scary. I could easily eat quite a bit of protein but have read that some calorie restriction benefits are lost with too much protein so try to keep under 80g. That leaves fruit and fat to fill the gap between what comes naturally and UD quota.

Something has occurred to me that is worth a try. I used to use a "safe" food that was free and exempt from all diet regulations. It was filling and helped me through many a tough diet day. Mine was a whole peeled, sectioned, eaten like and orange, grapefruit. I think that is the idea of the higher caloried PBC if you don't count the calories.

Well, thanks again. I will read and reread and keep on trying. It is 1pm so aabout half way there for today.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
The problem is nothing seems to work the second time I try it.
This was my experience too, many many times. Then I realized that I was usually hungriest before a drop in weight. Which meant that I wasn't doing anything wrong. My body was just fighting me extra hard.

Knowing that might help.

Also, knowing that many many people never go below 500 on a DD and lose just fine might be good for your mental health.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Almost everyone here has experienced the various, vigorous, and depressing agony of hitting one or more walls. We all understand. You come vent as often as you need to.

I am glad you are trying different foods! I grew up eating grapefruit as if they were oranges! I loved them right up to the moment they stopped loving me (have to try that again sometime).

One other thing you can try is return to Dr J's website and run your numbers up to 45% weight loss/maintenance mode. Work towards staying below or at that DD number. Maybe your body is at a point it needs a little more for awhile (like, adjusting to Autumn pollen, or a having a virus). At or below 45% still has you in WLM - just slower. Gradually, naturally, those DD cals should drop again over probably a very short time.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

All right. Three things really stuck out to me and I adjusted my day upwards accordingly and am doing okay tonight with room for some strawberries before bed.

LowCarbGal: Your BPC + 500 = 726 and you are losing well.
StephDrey: many many people never go below 500 on a DD and lose just fine
Gotsomeold: At or below 45% still has you in WLM - just slower. Gradually, naturally, those DD cals should drop again over probably a very short time.

My 45% is 688 so that is my new DD#.
I'm going to try the heavy duty BPC and see if it takes me into the afternoon.
I'm going to count it in my DD. 688-226=462 which is my 25% tier so if my body isn't recognizing it as food, all the better. Maybe some sirtuins will activate.
If I can find a level I can stick to for a period, then I will feel better about myself and be able to see whether this is sustainable.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Cici, I'm so glad you've come up with a plan that will help you move forward. All we can do is play and experiment, and see how our body reacts. I think your plan makes a lot of sense and I'm sending positive vibes your way. I hope you will feel more at ease in your DDs, and have a nice loss to boot!

GOOD LUCK!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
My 45% is 688 so that is my new DD#.
I'm going to try the heavy duty BPC and see if it takes me into the afternoon.
I'm going to count it in my DD. 688-226=462 which is my 25% tier so if my body isn't recognizing it as food, all the better. Maybe some sirtuins will activate.
If I can find a level I can stick to for a period, then I will feel better about myself and be able to see whether this is sustainable.
One thing I notice, looking over my log: my DDs never went above 600 (except when I went on vacation/to a party/etc). But each week, I am all over the place. Usually one DD in four was very low (200 cals or less) and one in five was at the high end. But the overall DD trend over nine months was ever so slightly down.

Even on DDs, I found ways to eat to hunger. But then, after the first ten pounds were gone (scale and those oh-so-wonderful NSVs), I never felt in a rush to arrive. As long as good things were happening, I enjoyed the journey.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Something I think that may have triggered the seeming impossible DDs of late is the added exercise. It isn't much, like 1/2 hour daily walking and/or Callanetics, but maybe enough for the body to want more to eat. Yesterday, just knowing I could have more made the day possible. Hoping to see the need taper off and will certainly not eat if not hungry.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #17

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
So glad you are getting your mind around this Cici. But hold the JUDD thought. "Hunger is not an emergency!"

Take it easy.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote