Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
13 Weeks on JUDDD -- And I'm Chill ;)

Today I weighed in at 265 for a total of 0 lbs lost this week, but 21 lbs on JUDDD and 25 lbs lost overall at a pace of 1.6 lbs a week.

So how do I feel about having lost 0 lbs this week? I FEEL GREAT! Do you know why? Because not only am I still at a lower weight than the day I got married almost two decades ago, I was also pretty much off plan all week. I had five nights of social engagements in a row, only one of which could be wrestled into a maintenance level Down Day. They were pretty much all Up Days.

And I gained nothing. MUHAHAHA.

So, for those of you considering JUDDD, here are the upsides and downsides.

Upsides

Most Flexible Diet Ever. This week, I was a panelist at the Baltimore Book Festival. In fact, I served on eight different panels over the course of three days. I was surrounded by delicious food. Spiced cinnamon almonds, sesame noodles, fried dough, fruit smoothies, steak on a stick, etc. And even if I held out against the carnival feast, I had dinners scheduled each night at restaurants where there was nary a salad to be found. On Weight Watchers, I'd have had no idea what to eat and felt guilty and miserable the whole time. On Low Carb, I'd have never been able to use my willpower against rice and na'an bread at an Indian restaurant. Pretty much, I would have failed. And that failure would have turned into a cycle of recrimination and guilt. Which would have turned into more eating and more weight gain. None of that happened. In fact, I didn't even worry it would happen. I knew I would work my rotations if I could and not worry about it if I couldn't. I've said this before, but it feels true in a way it never has before: I am losing weight while living my life! And on JUDDD that does not mean having to convince myself that food, feasting and festivities are not some of the best things about living life. I've never felt this way on any WOE before. It's so amazing, I think I might cry.

Easy to Get Back On the Wagon. So I fell off plan for a few days. The moment life was back in my control, I did a great Down Day. No stressing. No guilt. No recriminations. And weirdly, no fear. I had complete confidence that I could live my life and JUDDD would be there for me.

Big Changes. Down days are suddenly not just easier, but much easier. It is starting to become the norm that I start the day with bulletproof coffee and need nothing else. Now, before you new JUDDDers roll your eyes at me and think I'm nothing like you, please realize that I did nothing but ***** and moan about hunger for the first few weeks on JUDDD. In fact, I even had to defend myself against those who did not believe I was having hunger pains. I was. So I am the poster child for never believing that DDs were going to get easier. Now, hunger still registers, but it's an entirely different animal. I used to either be in pain on DDs or very fragile. Whatever raging hormones in my body used to make hunger cramp my stomach and ache and burn....those are gone. But now, even when my stomach grumbles, I feel very calm and strong. Not fragile at all. I have even considered whether or not I might be capable of two DDs in a row. I might crash and burn, of course, if I were to try such a thing. But never in my life before did I ever suspect I had it in me. I'm starting to like the challenge of pushing myself--and I find this bewildering. I'm like a super heroine!!! (Wonder Woman, to be exact, for those who enjoyed my latest romance novel.)

Downsides

Insomnia. What the heck is going on? Is this evidence of that mysterious skinny gene thing kicking in? I wanted energetic Down Days but not at 4am!!! I don't know if it's just that I've been working so hard lately and I'm an obsessive. Certainly, I have messed up my sleep schedule. But lately, not even melatonin is turning my brain off at night. (Is this the part of those JUDDD studies where the female mice got smarter but stopped sleeping? I'm not sure if I'm any smarter, but I must have sleep.)

Last edited by stephdray; 10-04-2012 at 10:07 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!

Those are all wonderful upsides! I'm so happy for you!

The insomnia thing: I have no idea if it's JUDDD related or not. I actually sleep better on JUDDD than I ever did before. I still have insomnia, but it's much less frequent and doesn't go on for nights on end. I hope you figure yours out. I cheat and take Benadryl every night, then read for a bit, and it helps.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
A very positive motivating post! As for the insomnia, I have not experienced that, thank heaven. I hope it goes away!

You are doing great and I am so happy you have found the lifetime plan that works for you!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
Great post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Most Flexible Diet Ever. Writers spend half of our time in the writing cave and the other half traveling and doing all sorts of social things to promote our work. This week, I was a panelist at the Baltimore Book Festival. In fact, I served on eight different panels over the course of three days. I was surrounded by delicious food. Spiced cinnamon almonds, sesame noodles, fried dough, fruit smoothies, steak on a stick, etc. And even if I held out against the carnival feast, I had dinners scheduled each night at restaurants where there was nary a salad to be found. On Weight Watchers, I'd have had no idea what to eat and felt guilty and miserable the whole time. On Low Carb, I'd have never been able to use my willpower against rice and na'an bread at an Indian restaurant. Pretty much, I would have failed. And that failure would have turned into a cycle of recrimination and guilt. Which would have turned into more eating and more weight gain. None of that happened. In fact, I didn't even worry it would happen. I knew I would work my rotations if I could and not worry about it if I couldn't. I've said this before, but it feels true in a way it never has before: I am losing weight while living my life! And on JUDDD that does not mean having to convince myself that food, feasting and festivities are not some of the best things about living life. I've never felt this way on any WOE before. It's so amazing, I think I might cry.
THIS. This is my life, pretty much. And I had the very same issues with WW and Lowcarb. . . over and over and over.

Today is 8 weeks for me, and I'm down 11 lbs. No, it's not speedy, and I can tell TOMs are going to be big slowdowns for me, not to mention travel.

But the big deal is that I have HUNG IN with it for 8 weeks and I'm not ready to stop. Normally, I would have dropped 5-6 lbs, then totally blown the plan after about 3 weeks and gained 10.

Nothing would make me happier than to be so satisfied with this that I'm willing to make it a lifetime commitment.

Congratulations on working your way through the fear!

I know nothing about the sleeplessness. I have work-related anxiety issues and take a small dose of Klonopin every night, so if I'm having sleep problems from the food plan, they're being masked.
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I remembered last week you said this week was going to be food intensive. So, when I saw your weight I cheered.

And I am glad you have wrestled hunger to a stand-still! I consider DD calm to be a huge benefit of JUDDD. Have you reached the stage where, in the midst of gourmet plenty and happy companions, you find yourself wishing tomorrow could be a nice, calm DD? Not for the weight control particularly, but just for the calm and the simple flavors.

Sleep? Nope. If anything JUDDD has improved my sleep. Oh, I still get up early and, where stress lurks so also does insomnia. But overall I sleep like a two-year old or a kitten: play-play-play-zzzzzzzzzzzzz. (My remaining cat, adopted when she was a catlet, used to attack my foot under the covers for a few minutes then fall asleep with my sheet-draped big toe in her mouth. Golly, that was cute!)
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 10-04-2012 at 09:49 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #6

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
As always it is such a joy to read your weekly update, especially when you have had such a great week.

Quote:
I am losing weight while living my life! And on JUDDD that does not mean having to convince myself that food, feasting and festivities are not some of the best things about living life. I've never felt this way on any WOE before. It's so amazing, I think I might cry.
From your lips to God's ears! This is just how I feel about JUDDD too.

No sleep issues for me, so can't really help, though I always suggest a sleeping mask for complete dark.

Nancy, I so agree about the calm JUDDD days, I am enjoying one now.

Keep on keeping on lovely lady.

Last edited by Kissa; 10-04-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stephanie! Do you have any idea how many people around the world wake up thinking, "It's Thursday! Time for Steph's weekly update!" Do you have any idea how much good kharma surrounds you???
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #8

Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #9

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins Inductions for 14 Days
Start Date: 6/10/2014
Quote:
I am losing weight while living my life! And on JUDDD that does not mean having to convince myself that food, feasting and festivities are not some of the best things about living life. I've never felt this way on any WOE before. It's so amazing, I think I might cry.
This right here is what I love THE MOST! OMG! I feel the same way. Thank you. Wonderful post!!!
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Bravo!!!!!!!!!
Talk about a woman transformed. Or revealed. Or something.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We should find all the titles of Stephanie's status reports and put them together as a synopsis.

Linda (Beeb) had some great ones. Her journey in titles was something like:
Does this really work?
Scared
Hungry
WOW!
Frustrated
Breakthrough!
GOAL!!
How do you stop losing?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
And on that note, i sure do miss Linda~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #13

Really, yes. But I think she is very happy planning her wedding, it must be any day now.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
WTG!!! Yippeeee!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Has your insomnia coincided with your bulletproof coffee habit?

I *have* to eat breakfast, with at least 20-25g protein, in order to sleep.
(Fasting can affect cortisol production, which can keep us awake.)
I have done much experimenting, because I *wanted* to skip breakfast, I *wanted* to do IF/Fast 5/JUDDD...but I can't have insomnia. I just can't. It gets worse and worse for me, to the point of only getting 20 minutes of sleep...this can lead to depression and irritability and overeating and falling asleep while driving...!!!

If the trend continues, we have a couple threads going on circadian rhythm and insomnia...if anybody wants the links, let me know.

I hope you sleep well tonight, Steph!
Thanks for the update...I really look forward to it every week!
New lows, 2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/14 276.8

Last edited by piratejenny; 10-04-2012 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: correct sentence
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Stephanie! Do you have any idea how many people around the world wake up thinking, "It's Thursday! Time for Steph's weekly update!" Do you have any idea how much good kharma surrounds you???
Certainly is true for me! I am glad you enjoyed your week Stephanie.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I believe Linda's wedding is 10/6 - day after tomorrow. We should have a moment of silence (fingers off the keyboard!) in honor of the occasion.

end threadjack

Last edited by gotsomeold; 10-04-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #18

Thanks Nancy. I agree we must find a way to celebrate Linda special day.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Steph I'm so pleased and yes, I remember the early days with hunger pain and fretting about being so hungry. I know it will be any week now when you will start to look forward to the simplicity of DDs that are both full of energy and serene at the same time.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
OMG OMG OMG!

YAY!!! WTG Steph!

1) as usual, I totally get it. You're even inspiring me to try the coffee, even though I'm basically allergic to caffeine... but I still want to try it b/c of YOUR success

2) I agree, i want to get all these together for my DH to read, he had his 3rd DD today (of course, he's just fine. men!)

3) Oh, it's Thursdays? I was actually looking for this for the past 2 days Now at least I'll know.

4) WTG on not gaining at your work thing! I've not managed that yet, but I agree about loving the freedom and lack of guilt...

5) and... the ease and confidence of going right into a DD, knowing that you are not depriving yourself FOREVER from something delicious, just for rightnow, but tomorrow, or next week, or on vacation, or whatever-- you can have that one thing.

Finally-- I know that feeling of wanting to do 2 DDs in a row. I'm worried however, about totally blowing it, and then totally blowing everything. Of the mentality-- if a DD is good, 2 DD is better. But I think he says in the book it's not necessary (someone? yes?) so I've not done it yet.
As they say (so I hear) in AA, just work the program.
jmo, ymmv, and all other acronymed abbreviations...

So happy you stuck with it Steph! Can't wait to see what new "decade" of numbers you jump into next!

Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Steph, I am one who always loves to read your posts and your updates. I really look forward to seeing how you are doing and you describe everything so well. Thanks very much!
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I love reading your updates, Steph. This one stands out because you are so, dare I say, calm. Conquering that set point was huge and now you are on your way to a new decade. Inspirational!
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It only took me 13 weeks to pick up on the 'Thursday' pattern. Okay, okay, last week someone mentioned the pattern and I had my ah-ha moment. There is a pattern?

Dr J says, on the DD, the average metabolism has a 40 hour where fasting/very low cal is productive. Since every metabolism is unique, I am all about trying two DDs in a row (and many other experiments). It might speed up weight loss or it might not.

Because my family emergencies tend to fall on UDs - is that weird or what? - I have unintentionally had 2 DDs in a row several times. I was busy, so the second day was nbd. But, it made no difference in my rate of weight loss - even the time I ate UD - DD - DD - UD - DD - DD - UD -DD - UD - DD - DD I lost 1.5 pounds at the end of the week.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 10-05-2012 at 06:06 AM..
Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #24

Thanks Nancy, it gives us all hope.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
WTG Steph! So glad you came through the extra food week feeling confident and in control.

The danger of 2 dd's in a row would be that your body would not come out of the stress response, and rather than releasing weight, would actually want to hold on to it due to the famine it perceived. Best just to keep the rotations going. Although, trying it just to see wouldn't hurt anything long term if you were of a mind to do it.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post

Those are all wonderful upsides! I'm so happy for you!

The insomnia thing: I have no idea if it's JUDDD related or not. I actually sleep better on JUDDD than I ever did before. I still have insomnia, but it's much less frequent and doesn't go on for nights on end. I hope you figure yours out.
Thank you! You're such an inspiration, Dawn!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlamp10 View Post
I had the very same issues with WW and Lowcarb. . . over and over and over.

Today is 8 weeks for me, and I'm down 11 lbs. No, it's not speedy, and I can tell TOMs are going to be big slowdowns for me, not to mention travel.

But the big deal is that I have HUNG IN with it for 8 weeks and I'm not ready to stop. Normally, I would have dropped 5-6 lbs, then totally blown the plan after about 3 weeks and gained 10.
Yep. That sounds exactly like my past. I don't see a problem looming on the horizon for staying with this over the long haul.

I think I always knew I could not change my eating habits to a Weight Watchers way of life, and did not really ever believe that it would be very healthy if I did back when it was a carb fest.

And even though I felt that low carb was much better for me, I had it proved to me, over and over again, that anything requiring absolute compliance was going to be a big fail for me.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Have you reached the stage where, in the midst of gourmet plenty and happy companions, you find yourself wishing tomorrow could be a nice, calm DD? Not for the weight control particularly, but just for the calm and the simple flavors.
Uh. No.

That does not sound like me at all.

But I guess I won't rule it out, because I'm changing!

For me, Down Days feel more like a Catholic confessional. Whatever I did yesterday, today I get to be forgiven my sins :P
Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Has your insomnia coincided with your bulletproof coffee habit?
I'm not sure. I've been doing the bulletproof coffee thing for about a month. The insomnia has only started the past two weeks.

Quote:
I *have* to eat breakfast, with at least 20-25g protein, in order to sleep.
(Fasting can affect cortisol production, which can keep us awake.)
Uh oh.

Quote:
If the trend continues, we have a couple threads going on circadian rhythm and insomnia...if anybody wants the links, let me know.

I hope you sleep well tonight, Steph!
Thank you! As it happens, I had to pull an all-nighter last night because of a publishing deadline that caught me unawares. In this instance, perhaps the fasting insomnia was a help b/c there is nothing like having to write a love scene in a book at four in the morning to really test whether or not you're made of the right stuff.

If the theory that I've seen on some websites is correct--that female mice become smarter and sleep less when fasting so as to make them better at finding food--maybe that worked to my advantage.

However, today I feel like I have been hit by a bus and then backed over by a bulldozer. I am re-dedicating myself to healthier sleeping habits. I'm going to stop working several hours before bed. I'm going to take a bath to relax and maybe read a book. For fun. One that somebody else wrote. And then I'm going to SLEEEEEEP.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
OMG, you guys are all going to make me cry.

You just know what a writer loves to hear.

I am totally feeling the love though and sending it back in big batches!

(I write my updates on a Wednesday or Thursday depending which one of them followed a Down Day. I couldn't bear to write them on the morning after an Up Day. Imagine the drama :P)