Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
My cholesterol is high

I had a physical last week (insurance 'paid' me to have one) and my cholesterol came back high. 270 to be exact. Triglycerides are 43, HDL is 100 and LDL is 161. (I figured my 'ratio' is actually good though.)

So what now? Doc wanted to put me on a statin and I said no way. I will look into dietary changes. I already exercise 5-7 days per week, 1-2 hours each time. I think I eat healthy but obviously not healthy enough.

I know I don't get enough fiber so that's something to work on. But other than that I'm at a loss. I don't eat 'bad' fats...mainly just CO and EVOO. I don't eat a lot of processed foods but I will keep better tabs on it. I drink our own goat milk (grass fed), and eggs (chickens on pasture) so that is good. I frequently have fat free Greek yogurt. The cheese I eat could be better (if it were from grass fed) but I honestly don't eat a lot of it. I eat lean meats and very little processed meats. I only eat sugary/sweet things on the weekends (mostly homemade) and will cut back on that.

If anyone has suggestions I'm open to hear them. I'm just really bummed. I do all these things to be healthy and it's not enough. :/
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Hi Kathy!

First off, if I remember correctly, the ratio is very important... when you low carb, your overall cholesterol can go up, but the ratio changes for the better.

Also-- triglicerides are tied to carbs. Are you able to give up those sugary things on the weekends? Can you swap to sugar-free, low carb versions?

I'm in no way a doctor, but having done LC for a long time, and always (to the surprise of my doctor, b/c I don't always lose weight) my cholesterol and other numbers are fine. So just my opinion, and more will chime in here, but that's what I would do if it were me. I don't think the meat/cheese/oil is the issue, but in combination with sugar/carbs, that could be the issue.

again, relax, you'll kick this thing's butt!
Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Hi Kathy. My personal opinion is that you are right to say "no" to statins for reducing cholesterol. I'll also tell you that in my extended family, those with untreated "high cholesterol" have been the longest lived, and the sharpest in their old age.

I think there is another thread here - maybe from midsummer sometime - about tips for reducing cholesterol. Maybe if you do a search you can find that. Also read in general on the net about cholesterol in recent thought. I don't think it is considered the marker for heart disease that it used to be - there are other ways to look at it that are more accepted lately.

Btw, Dr. Mercola says anyone who takes statins should immediately go on supplemental Ubiquinol (Co-Enzyme Q-10) because statins deplete it.

Pastured eggs and homegrown goat milk? That kind of healthy eating is priceless and don't you let one silly bloodwork number depress you, okay?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Read this entire thread: Help on Cholesterol
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
seriously Kathy--your TG's are very low--your good cholesterol is very high! that is what is throwing your number up--I really really would not be too worried if I were you.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
You can check your ratio here: Cholesterol HDL/LDL/Triglycerides Ratios Calculator

I'd think working with diet is fine for you and as others have said, you can refuse to take the statins.

We added red yeast rice capsules. I'd told OH that my brother took them after his heart surgery for cholesterol, and then OH's doc told him to add them.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Kathy, it might be worth googling the evidence that suggests it's normal for women of our age to have higher cholesterol readings. These are often erroneously pathologized in MDs offices.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
From what I understand, cholesterol protects you, is used by the body to manufacture hormones, and does not necessarily indicate any health risks.

The danger is when your arteries are damaged by inflammation (often caused by sugar) and the cholesterol sticks to the arteries in an effort to "patch" them up.

A CRP test measures inflammation, and can be more helpful in indicating overall health.

I don't really worry about my cholesterol much--more concerned about my A1C and my triglycerides.
Good job on YOUR triglycerides, btw!!!

Anyone taking red yeast rice should take ubiquinol, same as you would with statins. RYR works similarly to statins, and has the same "bad" side effect on the liver.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #10

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I like the ratios shown here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ch...ol-primer.html

your HDL and triglycerides are killer. you should be very proud!

if your doc is a total pain about the statins, request a VAP test. you will no doubt have Pattern A LDL, which is OK. A VAP test shut my doc up. This time she didn't even order a lipid panel with my other tests!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I knew the geniuses on this board would swoop in! Most excellent, and I'm gathering knowledge in case my Dr. ever gets on my case
Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Taking one fish oil capsule and one time-released niacin capsule in the morning and in the evening is supposed to regulate cholesterol. Good for you for refusing the statins. I've heard nothing but bad stuff about them.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for your encouragement and info! I'm feeling better about it and agree....my numbers really aren't that bad! I agreed to a re-check at 6 months and I will bring this info with me.

This is a new dr. for me and I actually liked him.....he talked with dh and me (we had our appts together) for 2 solid hours. He was open to continuing me on my dessicated thyroid (armor) versus the synthroid he usually prescribes. He didn't poo-poo the supplements we take and actually had some input regarding them. So I think he's open to hearing my comments and concerns and willing to 'agree to disagree'.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I think cholesterol can be high due to genetics. It isn't always that related to what you do or do not eat. My endochronologist also says that the cholesterol test is often high if you have not truly fasted for 6 hours prior to blood being drawn. I'm impressed that you said no to the medication. I think I would have been scared and just taken the script. Maybe you can have your blood drawn again in a month or 2.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Having a doc who will really listen and work with you is priceless.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Sorry to be so late to this party...and what I have to say is probably included in one of the links here.

Kathy, your trigs are low, your HDL is optimal, on the test results page (check it if you have a copy) your LDL is probably 'calculated' (meaning, the test did not actually look at your LDL. It just took HDL, trigs, and total Cholesterol, ran a formula and came up with the LDL number). All of which probably add up to: don't worry, be happy ... but make a mental note that your doctor follows old formulas instead of keeping up with new research.

Medicine and science is learning more and more about LDL. I am completely up to date on what is happening. But it started with separating LDL into 'small' LDL - the 'bad kind that forms plaque, and 'fluffy' LDL that does not form plaque. Research has advanced to recognize a whole variety of different kinds of LDL.

Anyway, low trigs + optimal HDL usually = fluffy, not dangerous LDL.

I encourage you to NOT consider taking a drug (statins) that messes with one of the most critical organs in your body based on a calculated, simplified test result just because your doctor says you should.

Do some research so the next time your doctor checks your cholesterol, you can respond intelligently and ask for appropriate, detailed testing (assuming your insurance pays for it - *sob* - let's not go there) and make the knowledgeable, research-based decision you are not getting from your doc.

(Yes, I have a long, nasty history with this situation. And that does color my opinion. I hope you do some serious reading, form your own opinion.)
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Don't know whether anybody follows Michael Eades on Twitter. In the last day or two, he posted a link to another new anti-statin study.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: DarkSiren
WOE: What Ever it Takes!!!!
Start Date: Every Day is a New Start
Good info has already been posted!!

I'm not sure I can post a link but if you look up

Norwegian HUNT2 and the word Cholesterol

A new study showed that a woman's cholesterol being high is not necessarily a bad thing.

The study showed that 195 and over... Even over 270 decreased the risk of heart disease for women.

Also, I have read that ratios are very important as well just as someone else said.
DarkSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Do you have any food allergy issues? Mine was high until I eliminated allergens, and then I dropped 40 points in 6 mos.

I agree to having your inflammation numbers checked (crp and SED). My naturopath wanted the crp to be as close to .1 as possible, and SED as close to 0. After I cleaned up my diet, I got .12 and 0 (had been .6 and 5).

So for ME, allergies were causing systemic inflammation, and the cholesterol was up IN RESPONSE to the inflammation. Your body uses cholesterol to heal itself. So taking a drug to lower it, without getting to the cause of WHY it is up, isn't really helping anything. (and statins are horrible for side effects. My dh took it for 3 mos after he had the stent put in, and believes he still has some muscle effects from it--that was 5 years ago).

So don't panic, but it would be worth looking into your inflammation numbers to see if something is going on that needs addressing. If those are good, I think I'd just not worry too much about it.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)

Tina, you rock!!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

So how do I know if I have food allergies? No clue.

So I looked at dh's numbers. His 'risk' is actually higher than mine (mine was 2.7 and his 4.4) yet he has the 'good' numbers. LOL My triglycerides are much lower than his and my HDL was much higher than his. Yet I'm the one that gets the statin talk.

I know I will not go on statins. My dad, whose numbers were always 'good' ended up with quad. by-pass surgery (at 82) and then, even though his numbers remained 'good', it was auto. to put him on them. And he's had all the side effects. He wouldn't listen to me and he still takes them. He's 90...and if it weren't for the muscle weakness from those stupid drugs he'd be in pretty good shape. :/
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
My naturo uses blood tests from Metametrix labs. If your doctor is willing, he can order the tests and do the blood draw and then send it in. I had the IgG4 and the IgE tests done. (if you google them and look at their test menu page, they are under the Allergix tests). I noticed there is also a blood spot test and I may ask my doc about that for Abigail. We've held off on having her tested simply because I know the stick for the blood draw would be really traumatic for her. I'd imagine that one would be cheaper too.

Sorry about your dad and the side effects.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Subbing for reference info for my DH...
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote