Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 51yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 4-19-12
Leona, no apologizing, sister.
Nobody I know loves all DDs and UDs. And most people I know (hand up, here) post more often when they're feeling the love.
I've had so many love-this/don't-love-this-and-suck-at-this-anyway cycles that I'm starting to get that this is my life on Juddd. Up, down, up, down. Like a whole different kind of UD-DD definition.
I'm thrilled you bring it to the thread. One, so that the collected wisdom comes out (which I always need to hear), and two, to be reminded that we're not so different from each other.
All the best with this part of the cycle. You deserve all good things.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/118/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I just feel so tired of dieting! I want my Main Days to be like everyone else here, not the hard days I have now! I am so sick of counting my calories, been counting them all year and just sick of doing it!

On a brighter note, today I did some sewing - sewed the sides of my slacks in as they were just too baggy! They are very good dress slacks and I have not been wearing them, was going to donate them buy decided I should not be so lazy I should just sew them! And they do look nice on me too! One is black and the other navy!

Sorry I was so down this morning, but I am down about the diet and calorie counting but up on the slacks being too large! That I could fix but the calories thing is another thing

Leona
Old 10-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I hope my post didn't give you the impression that I love this all the time. I have times (sometimes weeks) when I'm hungry, and just don't feel like counting. What I DO love, is that when I'm done with my little rebellion, and get tired of the developing muffin top, and decide to get serious again, it comes back off and I get back on track.

Like Pat, I will likely never NOT have to be careful of what I eat. I was blessed to be able to live the first 30 years of my life that way, but after having babies, that all went south. So, the reality is, I AM going to have to diet. The only option is, which diet. And JUDDD so far has been the only thing I've been able to do and continue doing for an extended period of time. Eating too many carbs in the form of sugar or grain makes JUDDD MUCH harder for me. I'm way hungrier and suffer many more cravings. Sometimes it's worth it. Most of the time, I resist because I know I will suffer more if I don't.

It's one of those "Choose your hard" situations. Dieting is hard, being overweight is hard. ((hugs)).

The other thing is, you've been maintaining since May, I've been maintaining since April. A month ago, I'm not sure I could have written the post I just did. It's really been in the past 4 weeks that my brain has relaxed and I've felt better about all this. So maybe it's just around the corner for you.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #64
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
I just feel so tired of dieting! I want my Main Days to be like everyone else here, not the hard days I have now! I am so sick of counting my calories, been counting them all year and just sick of doing it!

On a brighter note, today I did some sewing - sewed the sides of my slacks in as they were just too baggy! They are very good dress slacks and I have not been wearing them, was going to donate them buy decided I should not be so lazy I should just sew them! And they do look nice on me too! One is black and the other navy!

Sorry I was so down this morning, but I am down about the diet and calorie counting but up on the slacks being too large! That I could fix but the calories thing is another thing

Leona

Leona, are you counting calories on all your days? Would you like to try something different? Perhaps the following would work for you to give you a little vacation.

Instead of counting on your Down Days, figure out complete menus for two (or more) differing DDs. Absolutely simple meals for your DDs that will come in at the proper total calories you want to eat on those days. Write out the weight/measurement of those foods and just never count calories again. You'll just know that on your DDs you eat 2 of this, 1/2 cup of that, etc. No more counting, but still a way to keep pretty close to where you want to be on Down Days. It'll be sort of like following a recipe, except the end result will be eating correctly without having to figure calories anymore.

And if you are counting calories on your UDs, how about only counting every second UD, and letting the uncounted ones be FDs.. (Free Days). That allows you to just eat without counting on some of your UDs without having to measure, without having to count calories, and without having to worry about it at all. It's FREE, and you're free too. Maybe this would relieve you some and make it more fun now that you're in maintenance.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/118/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Yes, Pat I count every single day!

I do like your idea for the DD for me and also not counting every single UD too, I will do as you suggested Thank you so much for taking the time to post all the suggestions for me!

Tina - no don't worry about your posts, I know you struggle at times too and I really enjoy each and every one of your posts, they are so helpful to many here !

Everyone This morning I am going to WM - cottage cheese, face cream, etc on my list! This will be a better day, I will be in more control!

Leona
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #66

Quote:
..........I do like your idea for the DD for me and also not counting every single UD too, I will do as you suggested Thank you so much for taking the time to post all the suggestions for me!..........
I hope this will work for you. If you begin to get off track with it, you can always tighten back up and go back to counting calories a bit more.

When I don't count calories on UDs, I tend to go over. But that doesn't stop me from giving myself a goodly number of FREE Up Days with no counting calories... but I keep my DDs lower to counterbalance my strong tendency to go overboard when I don't plan out and count UDs.

But it's the balance of fasting/feasting still that works.

If I want a period of higher calorie Down Days, then I have to do more measuring and counting on my UDs to make sure they stay a lot closer to my calorie ceiling number. This is how I maintain, and it works pretty well and gives me more freedom.

I can eat more calories nowadays than I could previous to JUDDD, although not remotely the number of calories I could when I was a young woman, but still.. far more calories than I have been able to for many, many years. I'm awfully happy about that, I can tell you!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #67

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am Pat's main disciple and that is just how I maintain too. Though maybe I do throw in a few more UDs than I should. But if it ain't broke I am not going to fix it, lol.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Leona!

I adore the rotation. But I have gone through several periods where I did not want to count another anything ever again. I just want what I have never actually had: a normal metabolism!

When that happens I do pretty much what Pat says. I eat foods I don't have to count. And I wait. Eventually I always realize - gut realize, not intellectual - that there are very, very few people running around loose with 'normal' metabolisms. Everyone, even my skinny all her life sister, have some kind of coping mechanisms. Rotating just happens to be the one that works best for me.

And I realize we are lucky. We know JUDDD forgives. We don't have to feel guilty or obsess. Going on vacation? No worries, JUDDD forgives. Special occasion? Be happy, JUDDD forgives. Just happen to really really want to eat #7 on the menu? Enjoy, JUDDD forgives.

We have a get out of jail card (thank you, Kristin). After a wonderful three-day family feast (we call them 'reunions' but they are really just feasts) I watch my sister starve herself for a week or two. And I smile because half the weight I gained is already gone...and the rest will follow it in another DD or two (and I will have several very pleasant UDs in between). I like my normal much more than I like her normal.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 154/147/130 - 5'4", Age: 52, Highest:178
WOE: JUDDD 1850/700 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD 4/30/12, LC and Carb Cycling 2002-2011
Quote:

Leona
I hear your pain for sure. I have been dieting since I was 17. It just SUCKS, there is no other way to say it. I finally feel fairly close to goal so I called it because I felt as though I needed a mental break. Have been doing maintenance since beginning of August. At that time I did count every day, in September I just couldn't do it anymore so I tried an experiment. I counted the DD and weighed in after them the next day. I stopped counting the UD. As long as I stay in what I consider my acceptable range, I don't count UD. I have been staying 142-144 for over a month now doing this. WAY enjoying the freedom. Trying to pay more attention to HOW I feel if I eat a certain item, like I feel too sluggish after a binge of sweets. Then I get right back to eating what makes me feel GOOD, veggies, protein, etc. My binges are happening less often, I am ever so slowly feeling more in control and actually WANTING to eat well rather than the junk. This is new to me. I thought I was going to pout forever about having to say no to "treats". I am starting to make decisions about eating what I know is best for me. I am certainly not perfect. I am just saying I have realized I need to be kinder to myself as I learn to adapt to the dreaded "I have to diet the rest of my life" outlook.

Sending a great big hug your way!!

Lost 3 pounds from Jan 1 2012 til April 30 2012 by "eating healthy", LC, etc...
Lost 12 pounds from May 1 2012 til September 1 2012 with JUDDD

Down and Up 10-15# every year since 2000 with VLC, semi LC and Carb Cycling
Anticipating forever success with JUDDD!!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Leona, I sure sympathize and understand. I love JUDDD and I plan to continue with it forever in maintenance, and most of the time I'm ok and happy with it. Lately though, I've been experiencing some diet fatigue and getting tired of counting and just being so constantly diligent.

In exactly one week it'll be my one year JUDDD-versary and sometimes I wish I could just eat whatever I want and never have to count and to just stop being so diligent. My obsessive/compulsive nature works for me in that I'm good at being diligent with the constant counting/weighing every single thing that goes into my mouth, but it also works against me because I get tired of it and sometimes it gets stressful yet I can't seem to let go.

I think once I bring my weight back down to maintenance levels from the failed NK experiment, I'm going to take Pat's excellent advice as well and try holding the DDs low and going for some free uncounted UDs here and there. Diet fatigue scares me and I don't want to backslide, so while I'm still in the early stages of it, I need to think about how to counter these feelings.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #71
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Vilanteira - I am back to my goal weight from my also failed NK experience so it took a couple of weeks to adjust. Not more wter retention either.

I am keeping my DD's below 400 simply because that gives me some wiggle room on UD's. I am in the habit of low DD's so I just continue. I use the same menu every DD so it is a habit and a routine now. I kind of spot check on UD's. I eat so many of the same things over and over that I know the calorie count and I don't put two high calorie items in the same meal. Space them out seems to work better for me. I felt so good this monring when I saw 144 on the scale again and I realized my ankles were back to normal size.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
[QUOTE=SoHappy;16019891]Leona, are you counting calories on all your days? Would you like to try something different? Perhaps the following would work for you to give you a little vacation.

Instead of counting on your Down Days, figure out complete menus for two (or more) differing DDs. Absolutely simple meals for your DDs that will come in at the proper total calories you want to eat on those days. Write out the weight/measurement of those foods and just never count calories again. You'll just know that on your DDs you eat 2 of this, 1/2 cup of that, etc. No more counting, but still a way to keep pretty close to where you want to be on Down Days. It'll be sort of like following a recipe, except the end result will be eating correctly without having to figure calories anymore.[QUOTE]

Ooh, I like the sound of this. Not sure why these quotes get messed up when I try to just use part of them.

Recipe thread for Metabolism Miracle

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-step-1-a.html

Last edited by cici52; 10-17-2012 at 11:48 AM..
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #73

So glad you are back in your comfort zone and that the bloat has gone.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 51yo
Start Date: 4-19-12
Pat, Nancy, Barb, and Adi, and all, thanks for the wonderful thoughts. They're helpful right now.
When I count, I stay at exactly the weight I love, and I get a wee bit tired of counting. When I don't count, I drift up by 3-5 pounds. Doesn't sound like much, but I feel like a puffy stuffed muffin. Back to counting, then.
A bit of win/lose/win/lose goes on in my head, though it's farrrrrr better than it used to be, and it's heaven to have a solution.
Your suggestions are just what I was looking for to find a steadier state. I would LOVE that.
Many thanks.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #75

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Vilanteira - I am back to my goal weight from my also failed NK experience so it took a couple of weeks to adjust. Not more wter retention either.

I am keeping my DD's below 400 simply because that gives me some wiggle room on UD's. I am in the habit of low DD's so I just continue. I use the same menu every DD so it is a habit and a routine now. I kind of spot check on UD's. I eat so many of the same things over and over that I know the calorie count and I don't put two high calorie items in the same meal. Space them out seems to work better for me. I felt so good this monring when I saw 144 on the scale again and I realized my ankles were back to normal size.
Whew! I was hoping you'd return to normal soon!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I'm so glad to hear this Adi! Also glad that we know JUDDD still works for us when we get back to the basics. I'm thinking it'll take me a few weeks at least to get back down as well, so I'm sticking to my WLM calories for now and it's slowly starting to come down.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #77

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
I'm so glad to hear this Adi! Also glad that we know JUDDD still works for us when we get back to the basics. I'm thinking it'll take me a few weeks at least to get back down as well, so I'm sticking to my WLM calories for now and it's slowly starting to come down.
Well, this will teach me to be gone from the JUDDD forum... what's going on here with you two??? ^ ^ ^

What NK? What caused swollen ankles? What happened? What don't I want to do here?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

LOL Pat, not to worry, as I don't think NK is the type of plan for you at all. NK = Nutritional Ketosis. There's a thread over in the Other Plans section.

I was tempted into trying it because I love high fat food and was concerned that I was eating too much protein. Well, my 3+ week experiment on that failed when I tried incorporating NK along with JUDDD and I ended up gaining 5lbs over my maintenance low. I love my high fat food, but to be honest, I missed my veggies and even protein way too much! That much high fat and along with too much restriction of protein and carbs really messed up my body. I'm back to my usual lower carb JUDDD with plenty of whole foods and fresh veggies along with a moderate level of protein and fat. I'm able to sleep better and that weight is finally starting to go back down again.

Adi had also tried out NK just before I did, and she also had not so good results, which you can see here at her thread:

My experiment with Nutritional Ketosis
Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #79

Quote:
LOL Pat, not to worry, as I don't think NK is the type of plan for you at all. NK = Nutritional Ketosis. There's a thread over in the Other Plans section.

I was tempted into trying it because I love high fat food and was concerned that I was eating too much protein. Well, my 3+ week experiment on that failed when I tried incorporating NK along with JUDDD and I ended up gaining 5lbs over my maintenance low. I love my high fat food, but to be honest, I missed my veggies and even protein way too much! That much high fat and along with too much restriction of protein and carbs really messed up my body. I'm back to my usual lower carb JUDDD with plenty of whole foods and fresh veggies along with a moderate level of protein and fat. I'm able to sleep better and that weight is finally starting to go back down again.

Adi had also tried out NK just before I did, and she also had not so good results, which you can see here at her thread:

My experiment with Nutritional Ketosis
KETOSIS??? You know I'm too much of a food maverick to go there again.

But you know, it was worth a shot. If it had been something that you enjoyed and that worked for you, then you could have gone with it. Sorry it didn't work at all nicely for you. But glad you're getting your weight and your body back functioning at the level you are happy with. Hugs!

Edited to add: I do remember that post, about her getting leg cramps again and a very limited diet again. I just don't know anything about that plan though.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-17-2012 at 02:15 PM..
Old 10-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Quote:
... Pat, not to worry, as I don't think NK is the type of plan for you at all...
Truer words were never, never, ever spoken!!

Oh golly, vilanteira! Thank you! I walked right into that one.

And thank you and Adi for sharing your NK experiment!

Last edited by gotsomeold; 10-18-2012 at 02:25 AM..
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #81
Big Yapper!!!!

Guess I accidently discovered what has been causing my water retention for YEARS. High fat and I just don't work well together. Moderate fat at around 50% is good. My numbers come out to around there everyday due to the eggs I eat.

And I too missed the veggies and my higher carb treats. Got to feeling DEPRIVED. And that is not the JUDDD way. I lost a quick 2 pounds and then gained a quick 6 pounds when I went back to "regular" foods. I am sure I could have lost more quickly but I went to the state fair and was not going to be able to follow NK while I was there even taking foods with me. But I did pretty good while gone, I actually jumped up scale wise after I returned to counting calories closely.
I apologize to the super high fat proponents but I just can't see me following that WOE for the rest of my life. Now JUDDD is my WOE for many years to come. It is a habit now and I can't mess up since I have the same breakfast for UD's as well as DD's. Then I figure out the rest of the day.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #82
Big Yapper!!!!

I keep bouncing all over the place but since I have decalred maintenance it doesn't affect me. I will just keep plodding along and hoefully it will even out and back to my 144 goal weight.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #83

I am sure you are right Adi. I have a 4 to 5 pound range within which I am comfortable. But the lower numbers feel good.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
What wonderful wonderful posts from so many of you precious budds. I count it such a privilege to be here even if just to read. Your words of wisdom, and support, and funnies, and compassion and on and on......Love you all so very much.

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #85

Love you too Phyl, your lovely face and kind posts always make my day.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Hiya.. Not really complaining.. BUt.. Perhaps adding my own WHine
I really hoped that i could now start to eat on DD and have eaten like up to 700 or 800 calories on any givn DD.. And Well the result is a 3 pound gain that is noto goin any where .. I really had hopes that i could now eat on DD instaed of just drinking coffee and feeling the hungar.. Well now that i eat every day..OMG im staving!!! I cant shut offf the hungar on a DD.. and i seam to not care( at that moment) ugg.. How i long for "normal" I just needed a break ya know.. but this break is now the scale goin up.. And that is scary for me~ I just wanted to pop in here and let it all hang out for a minute,, i still love JUDDD but i guess i am alwasy going to have my DD as a no food day Any idea here? Thanks girls~
1994 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #88

Not necessarily Kimberley. I vary in weight by around 4 or 5 pounds and call that maintenance. That may be too much for some but it works for me. I like the lower numbers rather than the higher numbers but I realise that for most 'normal' people a change in weight is just something that happens, it goes up and it comes down.

So perhaps you need to try of some of your DDs as strict DDs and some as 700 to 800 days.

Just a thought.

Oh, and an even more gorgeous avatar I see.

Last edited by Kissa; 10-24-2012 at 07:52 AM..
Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Aww thanks. Kissa..I am almost afraid to eat , i mean what if it keep climbing?
So perhaps what you mean is,, to just eat.. wait it out and see if it keeps climbing? I wondered my self if my body could handle such a low number.. I have never in my life ever weighed in the upper 60S so perhaps my body is more comfortable in the 70S?

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 10-24-2012 at 07:38 AM..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #90

That may be the case of course. But if you want it to happen I expect you can make it happen. It is so much about the balance isn't it? None of us wants to be miserable just to see a number.

Let's see if we can get this right for you. I am sure lots of others will have suggestions too.

I would carry on for a few more rotations to see if things are going to stay around the same number. If not, it may be as simple as having one 'no food' days, as you call them, a week, or every two weeks, to stabilise things.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.