Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Skin brushing

I had heard of skin brushing here on the JUDDD board, so I ordered myself a high quality but inexpensive skin brush from Amazon. It's supposed to help firm skin as we lose weight, but here's a side benefit I noticed: it feels fantastic! It's like a massage, only invigorating instead of relaxing. It's a real waker upper in the mornings. I would do it for that reason alone. And it exfloliates!

And then I remembered something from about 5 years ago, when one of my students was struggling behaviorally and emotionally. He got brushing therapy every two hours during the school day (on uncovered skin like arms and over his clothes), along with gentle joint compressions. It had a HUGE positive effect on his behavior. The therapist described how it released endorphins. It's called the Wilbarger protocol if anyone is interested. They use it with people with sensory defensiveness, including those on the autism spectrum.

But couldn't we all use a few endorphins?

Last edited by calichris; 09-29-2012 at 11:06 AM..
calichris is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Lost with JUDDD! Maintaining with HDE/IE
That's really interesting! I have read a bit on skin brushing and really wonder if it does much for tightening, but it's cool to think of it in another way.

DD7 has issues with overstimulation. I wonder if it would have a positive or negative affect on her. She maintains fine if there's not a lot of excitement, but if we take her to an amusement park or similar, we have a rough day or two following. I'll have to look into the protocol.

Thank you for sharing!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
I don't know about skin tightening, but I can assure you it makes your skin smooth. No little bumps or dry spots to be found, and super moisturized. When putting on moisturizer I always feel like it's floating and not being absorbed as quickly, because of the natural moisturizers that are activated (I assume).
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know if it helps with loose skin or not, but I figured ... it can't hurt, right? And now I'm loving the other benefits!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
I bought a brush ages ago but keep forgetting to spend the 5 minutes to do it! Thanks for the reminder. I love the way it feels and it certainly can't hurt with skin tightening, right?
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have my brush hanging in the bathroom where I can't miss it, and it probably only takes me 2 minutes (I go quickly, and follow the method of a youtube video I saw ... just brush toward the heart without worrying about any patterns or anything). I agree it can't hurt, and now that I'm doing it I'm seeing why it *might* help by improving circulation and turning the skin over faster.

Last edited by calichris; 09-29-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Old 09-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
I trade services weekly with an ayurvedic massage therapist and she has suggested abhyanga to help with skin firming and tightening. It's a fairly vigorous daily self-massage performed with oil from head to toe every morning sometime between 6am and 10am. She does panchakarma series' on clients where she administers the massage among other things (herbal body steaming, herbal enemas) daily for 7 days and says the difference in skin firmness and smoothing of lumpy fat deposits is noticeable in that short span of time. If only I weren't so lazy in the mornings.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Thanks for posting this thread...it led me to checking it out on the 'net and it sounds extremely interesting. It looks as tho' there are a lot of benefits to dry skin rubbing, particularly for those of us in this woe. I've checked my house and I have most of the tools required, including the brush and the coconut oil...I've been noticing a change in my skin recently; drying out and have a "funny" feel, so this will fit right in.

Thanks again and will let you know after a few weeks how it is going.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
Here is an earlier thread on dry skin brushing. Actually, that's the only kind I know about that is said to tighten skin - I haven't heard of using oils, Mary.

anyone dry brushing skin while in fat loss mode?

Very interesting info on brushing therapy, Christina.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Thanks again for posting this...I washed everything up yesterday but wanted to go ahead so I used a chiffon "poof" and I've got to say the skin feels less "crepey" today. I must have removed some skin cells I didn't even know I had. Today I'll use the brushes...

Whitlin' a few of the blogs I read on the 'net said that skin brushing is best when followed by a shower, hot then cold, and use natural oils like coconut on the bod....I didn't use the CO, just my usual body lotion, but it's a good brand...thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Thanks again, Christina,for the thread.
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Thanks for this topic. I have a body brush from several years ago. I got lazy about doing it, but it does feel fantastic. I really think I'll need some help with loose skin as I lose, and if this helped it would be great.

I'm getting my brush out to wash it up right now!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote