Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crazynanc
Stats: 148/144/113
WOE: JUDDD/FastFive/5:2
Start Date: November 2011
feeling guilty about leftover food.....

So my eyes are bigger than my stomach since I started JUDDD and I usually make/order more than I can eat. When I cook, no problem. Leftovers go in the fridge and I'll just eat it later. But when I'm out....I feel horribly guilty leaving food on the plate.

Partly, because it's just getting thrown out. But also, partly due to my childhood. You see, I used to eat very slow and very little. But in Korea, not eating everything on your plate (at least with my family) was rude so I would have to sit at the table until I ate everything (when I was younger I used to sit there for hours...like 2 -3 because I was full but still eating everything).

Naturally, I suspect now that this contributed greatly to my eating habits and becoming overweight (eating everything in sight, not realizing I'm full). So since starting JUDDD one of the things I've learned to focus on is when I stop feeling hungry to stop eating (not after I already feel full). But then I'm wracked with guilt at all the leftover food even if I'm at home and I know I can eat it later!

Hopefully the longer I JUDDD the better I'll be at realizing how much I really eat and only making/ordering that amount.
crazynanc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I feel bad if I leave food at the restaurant to be thrown out, but I rarely do that. If I'm eating somewhere that's known for large portions, I'll ask for the to-go box as soon as I get my food, and immediately pack up half of it. Left-overs never go to waste at my house, sometimes my son is taking the box out of my hands as I'm walking in the door. Heck, I even bring home the left over bread or crackers, the birds love that stuff!
Crazy Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
You know - when I started to think that food going to waist was every bit as food going to waste, I kind of learned to get over that.

If it is not food that you need or want, if it isn't providing needed nutrition to your body and is just being eaten out of habit or guilt, isn't that wasteful too?
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
I always take a to-go box.. Now that I've been on JUDDD, however, I've just started sharing dishes with my kids - I can't eat enough to justify a full plate just for myself, I learned to my dismay on my 1st UD, lol!
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I am worried about not being able to get through the produce in the fridge before it spoils. Other things freeze well and my freezer is jam packed right now but since I live alone and am used to keeping a variety of veggies on hand, and just am not using it as fast as previously, I will need to change my shopping habits.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
...used to keeping a variety of veggies on hand, and just am not using it as fast as previously, I will need to change my shopping habits.
Me too - I'm going through food SO much slower!!!
I had a bunch of broccoli going to flower in my fridge - fried it up in butter for tomorrow's UD.
(What? You've never had fried broccoli? It's AMAZING)
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BoysMom View Post
You know - when I started to think that food going to waist was every bit as food going to waste, I kind of learned to get over that.

If it is not food that you need or want, if it isn't providing needed nutrition to your body and is just being eaten out of habit or guilt, isn't that wasteful too?
Amen to that! That's how I look at it too, it's going to waste just as much as extra unneeded calories as it is if it's thrown away. So I would rather waste it in the trsh than on my body as unneeded calories! Once I looked at it that way I didn't feel the need to eat it to keep from wasting it, because it's still being wasted either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Cat View Post
I feel bad if I leave food at the restaurant to be thrown out, but I rarely do that. If I'm eating somewhere that's known for large portions, I'll ask for the to-go box as soon as I get my food, and immediately pack up half of it. Left-overs never go to waste at my house, sometimes my son is taking the box out of my hands as I'm walking in the door. Heck, I even bring home the left over bread or crackers, the birds love that stuff!
Yes, I always ask for the to go box too when I can't finish food in a restaurant, that's the best option. then it can be eaten as tomorrow's lunch or dinner or given to someone.

But it is also a good feeling when you realize that your eyes are bigger than your stomach and that you can't eat as much as you used to. I used to have some kind of disconnected between how food smelled and how it tasted because food I stopped eating like fast food used to smell good when I first stopped eating it, then when/if I order it, it didn't taste as good to me as it used to and didn't give me that fix I used to get from it and I ended up not eating it because it tasted too unnatural. But the part of my brain that used to respond to how it smelled before I started this WOE made me feel like I wanted it but then eating it, I realized I didn't like it anymore. It was weird. That sensation has gone away now and everything is synchronized but for a while there was that disconnect. It's hard to explain but I was happy to see that I didn't really want it or like it once I ordered it. It's kind of like eyes bigger than your stomach syndrome.

~The woman came from a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under his arm to be protected, and next to his heart to be loved. ~
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh golly, I love fresh food - veggies, fruit, fish! But almost everything I buy these days gets divided into small servings and popped into the freezer. When I eat out, even on UD, somebody had better to prepared to bring a box home.

And to think I spent years believing I was a big eater with a big appetite

Don't feel guilty, Crazy. It will be alright. It is possible to teach yourself how to judge portions. It is not easy, but it can be done.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 09-28-2012 at 05:29 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
so true. Now even on UDs when we go out to dinner I often just have a salad and an appetizer and often can't finish even that. The portions are crazy huge and it's even crazier to think that I used to be able to eat all that!
TryingJudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I am worried about not being able to get through the produce in the fridge before it spoils. Other things freeze well and my freezer is jam packed right now but since I live alone and am used to keeping a variety of veggies on hand, and just am not using it as fast as previously, I will need to change my shopping habits.
I've reverted to my mother's way of coping with the veggie drawer...once a week (or whenever stuff starts looking wilted) I make up a veggie soup...chop it up, saute whatever needs to be, add broth and have it on my DD's....if it's too much for a couple of days, it freezes well for future DD's...kinda like my own version of the Soup Diet...you can add meat, noodles, or whatever to make it better or extend further....try it, you'll like it!
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Mssarge! Soup is a great idea! I eat soup almost every day. Why didn't I think of that?
Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynanc View Post
Naturally, I suspect now that this contributed greatly to my eating habits and becoming overweight (eating everything in sight, not realizing I'm full). So since starting JUDDD one of the things I've learned to focus on is when I stop feeling hungry to stop eating (not after I already feel full). But then I'm wracked with guilt at all the leftover food even if I'm at home and I know I can eat it later!

Hopefully the longer I JUDDD the better I'll be at realizing how much I really eat and only making/ordering that amount.
Great insight, Crazy. One of the things I totally love about JUDDD is the way it allows us the opportunity to learn more about, not just our reaction to food, but also about ourselves.

I think many of us are concerned about not wasting food (on our waists or our garbage cans) and do begin, very naturally, paying attention to portion control.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Love the soup idea. I am also planning a chopped salad today.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbinca View Post
I had a bunch of broccoli going to flower in my fridge - fried it up in butter for tomorrow's UD.
Hey, how do you do that?!

I know it sounds pretty self-explanatory, but I usually steam broccoli and then toss it with butter/olive oil, garlic & parmesan, or stir-fry it. But when I stir-fry it, it doesn't always get cooked enough, so sometimes I steam it a little first.

So, are you just frying raw broccoli?
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbinca View Post
THat might be a good way to do the kale in my fridge. Or maybe with bacon? Sounds like heaven. After 40 years of steaming veggies and broiling lean meat and every other non-fat cooking method, it is delightful to be using fat again.