Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
12 Weeks on JUDDD -- And Sheepish ;)

Today's weigh in brings me to 265, for a 5 lb loss this week. That's a total of 21 lbs lost on JUDDD and 25 lbs over all for an average of 1.75 lbs a week.

Yeah, so my freakout last week? A bit premature!

I feel doubly embarrassed now. Maybe now that I've seen this pattern a few times, I can trust in it. On JUDDD I seem to hit a new low, then bounce up to an old number that I thought I'd seen the end of and sit there for a while before bouncing back down to a new low all of a sudden.

The upshot? I may not have seen the last of that accursed 270 forever, but I'm feeling fairly confident now that it's firmly in my rear view mirror!

Wow. Just wow. I can't remember the last time I weighed 265. Sometime before I got married. At least sixteen years ago--probably more like twenty considering that I had to diet like a maniac just to get down to 270 for my wedding. (I've said before, I'm a happy fat person because I don't know anything different. Falling in love made it even easier to pack on the pounds!)

So, here are the weekly upsides and downsides for those considering starting JUDDD.

Downsides

My Body Is Fighting Me! I'm accustomed to feeling hungry on a DD. I get through it by reminding myself that I will be totally satisfied the next day. Imagine my shock when, on the next Up Day, I was not only ravenous, but could not stop the hunger pangs even at the end of the night after 2300 calories. Now, I can eat over 2300 calories easy. But it's almost never because I'm still wildly hungry. It usually has to do with the fact that I'm eating food I can't count easily, or I overindulge a little. This time was totally different. I could not even sleep without going over my up day limit. That has never happened to me before. In a panic, I reviewed all my food choices that day and they were good, healthy, and even low carb. There was no explanation for this outrageous hunger on an Up Day--and I worried about how I would get through the next Down Day. Well, by the next morning I had my explanation. A huge drop on the scale. I knew my body would fight the process of weight loss. I just didn't consider how intensely it would try to sabotage me. And I'm glad that even though I went over my Up Day limit, I only went over it by a few hundred calories. Knowing this, I think, is going to help me hold the line.

Overconfidence. I'm still wrestling with this one. But it isn't really specific to JUDDD. I remember that when I was taking Fen-Phen, I would go through these periods where I was convinced that I was "healed" and that I no longer needed to take the drugs to control my appetite. That I was now a "normal" person with a normal appetite and did not need pharmaceutical assistance. This would inevitably lead to my going off the medication and being shocked, shocked by the backslide! Because JUDDD gives me that same feeling of control over food and appetite--without drugs!--I find myself having the same kinds of thoughts. "My stomach is shrinking. I don't have a crazy appetite anymore. I don't need to count every morsel. I can just eat till satiety." Uh, no. No. My stomach is smaller. My appetite is under control--mostly. But I am not fixed. I am still at the start of this journey.

Meanness. When my cats cry and howl about how hungry they are, instead of rushing to feed them on a DD, I say horrible things like, "Suck it up. I'm hungrier than you are!"

Coffee Dependence. Coffee really helps with the DD mind-fog and it also helps with appetite. I now drink it every day. I am probably addicted. I will just have to deal with that later :P

Upsides

Increased confidence. Yes, I need to watch the overconfidence, however, that's not to say I can't enjoy the fact that JUDDD is simplifying my life, making me feel like I'm more in control of everything, and making me feel like Superwoman! I have a nutty weekend coming up as I'm a panelist at the Baltimore Book Festival and will be expected to dine out with readers and colleagues, three days in a row. On previous diets, this would have sent me into a circle of doubt and recrimination after which I would have thrown in the towel and wallowed in big fat misery. Not with JUDDD. I'll attempt to keep to rotations within maintenance level and content myself with no weight loss for the week. And even if I totally lose it and end up having three wild and woolly up days in a row, well, guess what? I'll count it as a vacation and go right back into rotations when it's over. Life goes on and so does JUDDD!

Increased Experimentation. Alongside that confidence comes a willingness to try new things. Like yesterday, I had my first 65 calorie Down Day. I wanted to know if I could actually get through a whole DD with nothing but bulletproof coffee. I was curious if I would actually be less hungry if I ate nothing than if I divided everything up into little meals. Fortunately for me, yesterday was a totally functional DD during which I even spent five hours in a plot brainstorming session with a friend--and my mind didn't get foggy until about 11pm, which I think is just normal. I'm not sure if it was just an unusually easy DD or if there is something to the idea of near or complete fasting, but I would never have been brave enough to try this before JUDDD.

Fewer Food Obsessions. When I first started, I would go through these patterns where I would find a food I had been deprived of and eat it over and over again every single up day until it no longer had power over me. I've been waiting for the latest obsession to kick in, wondering what it would be. Brownies? Pie? Pasta? But it's not happening. I had a brownie last week. One brownie. It was good. I haven't had another even though they're sitting in my fridge. I can take it or leave it. The only thing I've been eating with great regularity is cucumbers. I really love to mix up Greek Yogurt with Hidden Valley Ranch dip mix. You can eat the whole cucumber and the entire container of dip for less than 200 calories! If that's my new obsession, bully for me. :P

Defeated My Set Point. Okay, maybe I will bounce back up to 270. And if that happens, I'm going to be the grouchiest person in the world. However, I feel like it's gone. I feel like I beat it. And gosh, darn it, I want to celebrate!

Last edited by stephdray; 09-26-2012 at 09:54 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)

I'm so happy for you. That just proves to me why I always say with JUDDD "I'll get frustrated tomorrow." No need to be sheepish, of course, but I think JUDDD has taught me that as soon as I'm about to get discouraged some thing will happen if not the very next day, surely very soon. I'm up over 6 lbs since coming home from vacation, but JUDDD has taught me not to panic! I'm having an awesome DD and by listening to all my JUDDD Buds I know everything will work itself out (In 2 to 3 rotation )
Yay again Steph!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I love you steph~ I am proud of you for sticking with it, even when you became afraid to.. hope!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Joining your celebration!!
Vicariously enjoying your confidence.
Learning.
Blessings.
Pat
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Congrats on 265!
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I am practically crying with happiness for you ... while chortling and sighing at some of the insights.

The difference between over-confidence and secure, comfortable confidence is startling, isn't it?

Poor starving kitties!

My cat has me well trained. When she circles her bowl and sits, purring, with her fore-legs pressed closely together, it is time me to satisfy the needs of HRM.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
This is what I've been waiting for! Probably not as eagerly as you, since I was sure it was coming soon.

Many of us find those "extra hungry" days, DD or UD, happen right before a nice whoosh.

Whenever I get so frustrated I finally post something, the next few days always has me feeling sheepish because I drop. Every. Single. Time.

Yippee for Steph!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Wonderful update! Again, so many important, relatable points. I look forward to these updates--thank you!!!
mttemple4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/207/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet/JUDDD/no sugar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Meanness. When my cats cry and howl about how hungry they are, instead of rushing to feed them on a DD, I say horrible things like, "Suck it up. I'm hungrier than you are!"
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I am really thrilled for you. Your posts show such an incredible awareness of what is going on for you. I am sure you have helped so many people.
Happy happy joy joy!!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Slimmer2012
Wow. You are having great results! Thank you for sharing your insights.
Slimmer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/147/145
Start Date: March 2012
I am so happy to hear your week went so well! It sounds like you are planning ahead for diet obstacles and you are deciding what will happen! Love that! I also like the jumpjoy happy face weeks although not every week has them I think that the real win with JUDDD is that it gives us back the ability to plan out enjoying our food and looking after our health. It has always worked out to be the best of both worlds for me. I am glad it is working out for you.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I came here today just for your update. I'm SO happy to see a good week for you. I knew you were due for it. I can't tell you how many times it has happened that someone has posted either a mini or major freak out, and within days had a whoosh. And 5 pounds is quite the whoosh!!!!

Good for you. I love your pro/con list. Your body may fight, but you WILL win this time.

KUTGW!!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fitmom
Stats: 147/139/127
Start Date: September 2012
Congratulations with the new low!!! You deserve it!

I so enjoy reading your posts, you are such a good writer!

Enjoy your coffey - there is good evidence that coffee in moderation prevents diabites and even some cancers.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fitmom
Stats: 147/139/127
Start Date: September 2012
diabetes sorry...
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Yay! Steph. 5 lbs. That's awesome. Maybe just store this moment away in your head for the next time you start doubting yourself
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/199/180
You rock. That is all.

Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
Thanks for another great post!
congrats on getting to 265! You are working JUDDD and it's working for you!
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #19

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Awesome AWSOME news Steph! I am so happy for you!

When I logged on and saw your post, I was so surprised that a whole week has gone by, but I have come to really look forward to your updates. You put into words what we're all going through, but maybe arent eloquent enough to write it down (I speak for myself!)

This is great news, and you're well an your way again. Isn't this WOE great????
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Awesome AWSOME news Steph! I am so happy for you!

When I logged on and saw your post, I was so surprised that a whole week has gone by, but I have come to really look forward to your updates. You put into words what we're all going through, but maybe arent eloquent enough to write it down (I speak for myself!)

This is great news, and you're well an your way again. Isn't this WOE great????
The bolded part is true for me as well! I've been silently rooting for you and waiting for that woosh that I knew was coming, even if I don't always stop to reply since I don't have any words of wisdom to add. I had that pattern of slipping to a new low and then maintaining and even bouncing higher for an agonizing amount of time before finally dropping again when I was in wlm, and I know many others do too. I'm so happy that you're making JUDDD work so well for you!

Last edited by vilanteira; 09-26-2012 at 01:27 PM..
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #21

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Steph I have to tell you that you are doing something very wrong.

The Cucumber is the devil's food. Do not eat it. Even with your delicious ranch dressing.

I intend to abolish the Cucumber from the world.

Everything else is good. Very, very good.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Steph I have to tell you that you are doing something very wrong.

The Cucumber is the devil's food. Do not eat it. Even with your delicious ranch dressing.

I intend to abolish the Cucumber from the world.

Everything else is good. Very, very good.

I know how you feel about the cucumber- Cindy.
I just finished making cucumber salad for my bedtime snack and thought about how grossed out you would be. That is the effect that tomatos have on me...
If they actually get put on my plate at a restaraunt, and I always order No Tomatos, I actually get them off some how and put them on the other end of the table if I have to, but won't touch them with bare fingers! Go figure... I've never actually tasted a raw one in my life!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #23

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I love, love, love tomatoes, and cucumbers are okay, but I feel that way about canteloupe! I'd rather not be in the same room with it!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Rock on, Steph, rock on!

My gross out food is olives. Especially green ones.
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Cooked bananas.

I am, however, strong enough to force myself to eat around them (vision of me sliding a cooked banana across the table
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Fantastic news Steph!

Isn't it so much easier to be patient when it's someone else and see a whoosh coming in someone else than to be content with our own scale numbers when they don't make us happy? What is that about?
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Well, well, my, oh my, how did I miss this?!?!?

I want to celebrate too! Hunger mean whoosh! Everyone needs the hunger pang to assist the whoosh!

And cukes are absolutely delish with "Kimberino's Homemade Ranch" (25 cals) per tbs & absolute heaven.

Last edited by sunday; 09-26-2012 at 07:29 PM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Steph, fabulous for you and fabulous for us!
Thanks. It's crazy how happy it makes us to see you blow past such a significant number. You'll be vapor soon.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Keep on keepin' on!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Wow, Steph, I loved reading this! WTG, my bud, you have accomplished so much in these 12 weeks - KUTGW!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote