Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
My experiment with Nutritional Ketosis

I tried 7 days of nutritinal ketosis just to see if it can be done. YES, it can be done BUT I am starting to feel cornered in because once again I have a restricted menu. Plus I was awake several hours last night suffering with leg cramps where I had to get up and walk, take potassium pills (6), and walk until the cramps subsided. I have been able to get my nutrients through my food on JUDDD and I hate waking up with leg cramps. Reminds me of my Atkins days when I would forget to take my handfull of supplements morning and evening.

So it is back to just JUDDD and whatever I want to eat as long as the calories are right. I will give NK credit for getting my UD's under control and I will incorporate more fat into my regular UD's than I had been. DD's were never a problem for me and I will watch my protein to be sure I do not get too much.

It was a fun experiment until last night and I am leaving for the State Fair tomorrow and had no intentions of doing NK while I was gone so I ended NK a day early.

Just thought I would share my feelings. And results.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/153/139 JUDDD 07/28/14
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Adillenal, thank you for sharing with us. I have been following your posts so find this very interesting. Can you tell us if you had good results weight loss wise on NK? I know you did in the beginning and mentioned you were just 2 lbs from goal so was interested to know if it continued?
WJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJS View Post
Adillenal, thank you for sharing with us. I have been following your posts so find this very interesting. Can you tell us if you had good results weight loss wise on NK? I know you did in the beginning and mentioned you were just 2 lbs from goal so was interested to know if it continued?
Not really but I did drop a solid 2 pounds. I started at 146.2 and I am 144.4 this morning after an UD. We shall see if it was just water loss tomorrow. But the feelings of deprivation started yesterday. I could not have any banana cake that was brought into work even though it was an UD because it would not fit into that plan. I didn't need or even want the cake but it did start that old nagging feeling again. I had not realized just how freeing JUDDD is in that it allows anything as long as you track the calories. I LOVE MY JUDDD.
Day 1 146.2
day 2 144.8
day 3 143.6
day 4 144.4
day 5 142.8
day 6 144.6
day 7 143.4
day 8 144.4
But the range on my bounces decreased. I usually have wider swings in scale weight. But it was an interesting experiment. I did learn that too much protein is probably why I can always maintain on Atkins but not lose so it was worth the week of change.

Last edited by adillenal; 09-26-2012 at 03:53 AM..
Old 09-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Adi, thank you so much for sharing this experiment with us! This has been so thought-provoking and valuable.

Have a GREAT time at the fair. (And for heaven's sake, when you get back pleeeeease remember to tell us what pork wings are!)
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #5
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
That does sound like a very good success. Will be very interested after tomorrow as you said. Good luck and hope you enjoy the fair.

I know it is different but that is one of the things I really miss October time is the state fair. I am like a big kid and loved all the rides, foods, smells so will be thinking of all of you that will be going.
WJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stepinthyme
Stats: 289/???/190 - 5'-8"
WOE: Low Carb/Counting Calories
Start Date: Restart January 2014
Thank you for posting your experience (and your daily menus) for this. The protein thing and calories do count is something that I think a lot of us struggled with when doing Atkins. I lost about 40 pounds on Atkins late 2010/2011 and then stalled. When I did a brief stint of JUDDD last winter (right before we moved again), it was a real revelation to me just how many calories and just how much protein I had been consuming before. I've seen other posts and a really old thread somewhere else on LCF with similar ratio's, but there wasn't much info regarding specific menu's and amounts. So thanks again for taking the time to document your experiment--we really do appreciate it!!

PS--have fun at the Fair, Adi!
stepinthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Interesting. A little more info to tuck away for another day.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to review your week with us.
Valuable info for me.
Have a great time at the fair, Adi.
Blessings
Pat
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Thanks for sharing Adi! Enjoy the fair! I know they have some absolutely wonderful grilled corn on the cob and blooming onions!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Really appreciate your sharing those insights Adi. I always look forward to reading your posts. I've learned a lot about JUDDD from reading you, and your success story is absolutely inspiring.

Have a great time at the fair. YUM
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
I was reading with interest what you were doing but decided, like you, that I wouldn't like the feeling of being restricted. That's what usually sets me off on a binge.

Have fun at the fair. I'm considering going this year. We haven't been since the great Car Towing at the State Fair Fiasco a few years back.
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellgee View Post
We haven't been since the great Car Towing at the State Fair Fiasco a few years back.
You can't just leave it at that! Details!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
I'm considering going this year. We haven't been since the great Car Towing at the State Fair Fiasco a few years back.
Dawn and I stand united, one thought dominates our hearts and souls and minds, if you listen you can hear the screams: The Great Car Towing Fiasco??? WHAT is a Great Car Towing Fiasco???? And why did it happen at the State Fair?

Last edited by gotsomeold; 09-26-2012 at 04:26 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Okay, friends, gather 'round....it was a gorgeous day a few years back when my family and I were headed to the State Fair of Texas. We had scored free tickets AND free parking passes.

As we were in line for the parking lots, signs flashed saying the lots were full. It was Texas/OU football weekend if that means anything to anybody. Needless to say - it was packed and this was early on in the day.

Well cars started turning around looking for parking. We saw a guy with an orange vest motioning cars into a nearby lot for 10.00. We park, go to the fair, have a great time and as we are coming back to the car - it's gone. Police are there saying it was private property and these guys had clearly just bought vests and pocketed the money for all those who parked there. I have a feeling they were working with the towing company. Many, many, many cars were towed that day. It made the news for several days after. The City of Dallas cracked down on this crooked towing company and forced them to give everyone back their money.

People were so angry! There was screaming and yelling. Police were everywhere. And to top it off after we had walked the mile to the towing lot, they were closed for change of shift. We were like third in line and I kept telling the guy behind the window he better hurry and open up because the natives were getting restless! We had to pay 200.00 to get our car back. Whew! Just thinking about it makes me mad all over again!

Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. - Louis Pasteur
Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

WOW Laura. That takes a lot of gall to pretend to be the real deal right there in front of everybody. $200 is outrageous to get your car back.

And come on opening weekend and visit me in Livestock barn #2 with the dairy goats.

We have to vacant the livestock exhibitors parking lot the night Grambling plays Prairie View or we can get towed. The buses park in that lot and I can watch the bands put on a show just getting to the stadium and back after the game. They perform until they get all the way to the buses. Hopefully I will get in the right lot that is legitimate this year since they have changed where we are to park. I will certainly be cautious in case this type of thing was tried again.
Yikes. I can see why everyone was mad.

Last edited by adillenal; 09-26-2012 at 04:55 PM..
Old 09-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
Quote:
Okay, friends, gather 'round....it was a gorgeous day a few years back when my family and I were headed to the State Fair of Texas. We had scored free tickets AND free parking passes.

As we were in line for the parking lots, signs flashed saying the lots were full. It was Texas/OU football weekend if that means anything to anybody. Needless to say - it was packed and this was early on in the day.

Well cars started turning around looking for parking. We saw a guy with an orange vest motioning cars into a nearby lot for 10.00. We park, go to the fair, have a great time and as we are coming back to the car - it's gone. Police are there saying it was private property and these guys had clearly just bought vests and pocketed the money for all those who parked there. I have a feeling they were working with the towing company. Many, many, many cars were towed that day. It made the news for several days after. The City of Dallas cracked down on this crooked towing company and forced them to give everyone back their money.

People were so angry! There was screaming and yelling. Police were everywhere. And to top it off after we had walked the mile to the towing lot, they were closed for change of shift. We were like third in line and I kept telling the guy behind the window he better hurry and open up because the natives were getting restless! We had to pay 200.00 to get our car back. Whew! Just thinking about it makes me mad all over again!
There is no 'horrified' emoticon, so you'll just have to imagine how my face looks.. That's SO awful!! I can't believe that you all still had to pay the 200$ - there should have been some kind of waiver since your car was, essentially, stolen!!
My car was towed once - at my own apartment complex. I parked by the red curb right by my apartment because my daughter was about to throw up - about age 5 at the time - rushed her inside to throw up in the bathroom, cleaned her up, got her settled in bed, and went back out to park my car.......... and it was gone.
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, it was bad. And once the fair lots fill up you have no choice really but to try to find parking that isn't some sort of scam. And it's not a warm fuzzy feeling to find your car missing!

Oh how I'd love to come see you, Adi! But DH is only home every other weekend and looking at the calendar we won't even get the chance to go until the last weekend it's open. Are you only there the first weekend?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Laura - yes, we are only here the first weekend. We are special. We get to open the fair. Goats and llamas are always the first weekend.

I weighed 142.8 this morning so it looks like my 2 pound loss from NK stuck so I am happy with my week's experiment. Can certainly try it again when I want to jumpstart my loss again.

Last edited by adillenal; 09-27-2012 at 04:31 AM..
Old 10-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Adi, hope you don't mind me adding on to your thread since it's the same topic. I also tried NK, and had been following it very strictly for over 3 weeks now.

I hadn't changed my calorie intake, just the nutrient ratios and pretty much consistently hit that 80/15/5 ratio or fairly close to it (on my DDs). At first I lost 2 lbs right away, which I assumed was just release of water weight, and was fine with it if it didn't go any lower since I was at maintenance. Since then though, I've gone back up to maintenance levels and gained 4lbs over that.

Also, appetite suppression was good the first 7-10 days or so, but now I'm finding myself hungry a lot. It's unrelated to TOM either, since I keep close track of that. Not sure what is up except that my body may not like that high of a fat% even if I love eating that way, so I'm gonna lower the fat % and go back to my general lower carb JUDDD for a while to see if things improve and if I can drop those extra pounds. My usual woe is higher fat anyway, just not quite as high as those ratios that I was keeping while doing NK, so hopefully if I back down a bit things will be back to normal.

In any case, it was definitely a good experience to have under my belt since I feel I learned a lot from it regarding nutrient ratios and more about my own body. Also not ruling out going back to it again in the future along with JUDDD, but for now I'm gonna see if plain ol' JUDDD and the magic can help me get back to maintenance.

Last edited by vilanteira; 10-12-2012 at 12:02 PM..
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Vilanteira - Thanks for adding your results.

I need to add my results to this too. After I returned from the state fair, I have steadily gained until I am now 6 pounds over the drop I saw on NK. Rebound weight gain not unlike what I used to experience on Atkins if I ate too many carbs. I too have experienced the hunger which I did not have doing regular JUDDD. I naturally had higher fat DD's and lower fat UD's. I have been craving higher fat items and that is making my calories too high so I need to get back to the basics and stop trying to tweak when nothing was wrong to begin with. The NK started the old deprivation syndrome with me and since I could not have it I wanted it.
I am having a great DD today and I have a craft show tomorrow but plan on taking my own food so I can stay on a lower fat UD.
Thanks again for bringing this back up.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Adi, that sounds like a good plan. Good luck to you and let's hope we're both back to normal and at our maintenance levels soon.

I hope I don't get any rebound weight gain, as my 4 lb gain was while I was still actively doing NK along with my JUDDD! I've just stopped NK today. Hm, I may have to lower my calories to WLM instead of just JUDDD maintenance depending on how my weight goes.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is so interesting. I have the exact opposite results. I do not feel restricted, but instead do not hunger whatsoever on NK. I lose weight a bit faster than just regular LC JUDDD. The thing I noticed right off the bat is that I am never hungry. Couldn't figure out what was going on? I thought at first that this was from the pterostilbene, but I find that it is even less hunger than when on just low carb.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Isn't it interesting how different everyone is? I never had a problem with DD's until I upped the fat on DD's. Then I was starving all day. I am back to my regular DD menu and I forgot to eat anything this evening. So I came in at a little less than 300 calories today. Hope tomorrow is as successful for my back to normal lower fat UD.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I truly believe that we all have our own individual nutritional needs that our body functions the best and we all should eat in the method that fits our own lifestyle sufficiently. I still have a bit of weight to lose, so I try and find the easiest to live with yet fastest method.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
This is what I love most about this board. We realize that our bodies respond differently to the many WOEs. It bugs me when people have the attitude that their WOE is 'the' way for everyone and if it's not working for you, you must be doing something wrong. When people ask me how I lost weight I am happy to share but I always add that 'this is what worked for me', and it may or may not work for you the same and you may need to tweak this or that, etc.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maerow
Stats: 185/137/130
WOE: Low carb - various plans
Start Date: July 2005 (low carb)
I went back to LC JUDDD because the wheat, bread, fruit, and rice carbs kept sending me to Binge City .....but yeah I noticed my leg cramps were coming back.

One thing to consider is that on LC you aren't getting much salt unless you are eating a lot of sausage and bacon. If you don't have enough salt, that will cause very painful leg cramps too. I have started drinking a large glass of hot water with a 1/2 cube of chicken stock (regular, which is very salty) and that has sent the cramps away.

For those times when supplements do not calm the cramp monster, try upping your salt.
Maerow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyL View Post
This is what I love most about this board. We realize that our bodies respond differently to the many WOEs. It bugs me when people have the attitude that their WOE is 'the' way for everyone and if it's not working for you, you must be doing something wrong. When people ask me how I lost weight I am happy to share but I always add that 'this is what worked for me', and it may or may not work for you the same and you may need to tweak this or that, etc.

I've seen so many real life examples that I know this is absolutely true. Our bodies, metabolisms, state of health, internal flora, food sensitivities, etc. are so very different from one another, not to mention countless other factors, that it wouldn't even make sense for one single woe to work for everyone. Plus I love hearing about everyone's different woe and plans because it gives me ideas on how I may want to switch things up and gives me a wealth of info that I may not have even considered.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerow View Post
I went back to LC JUDDD because the wheat, bread, fruit, and rice carbs kept sending me to Binge City .....but yeah I noticed my leg cramps were coming back.

One thing to consider is that on LC you aren't getting much salt unless you are eating a lot of sausage and bacon. If you don't have enough salt, that will cause very painful leg cramps too. I have started drinking a large glass of hot water with a 1/2 cube of chicken stock (regular, which is very salty) and that has sent the cramps away.

For those times when supplements do not calm the cramp monster, try upping your salt.
That is why I add sea salt to my drinking water. And I always try to have a cup of broth on DD's. Do not like leg cramps. I was eating bacon on NK and still had leg cramps so not sure why they started again. On JUDDD with my regular menu, no leg cramps.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
That is why I add sea salt to my drinking water. And I always try to have a cup of broth on DD's. Do not like leg cramps. I was eating bacon on NK and still had leg cramps so not sure why they started again. On JUDDD with my regular menu, no leg cramps.
Maybe not enough other minerals, like magnesium & potassium, and you get them if you eat more veggies on JUDDD?
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
This is interesting. I was not eating normally this week (lower carb than usual + higher fat and much lower cal Wed-Fri. Friday night I slept horribly....woke at 2:30 and did not go back to sleep. Then around noon Sat. I got a horrible leg cramp. Had to walk it off because it was my right leg and I could not drive. Hmmmm.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote