Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
Travelin' JUDDD

So I am in my 7th week of JUDDDing, down 10 lbs., and embarking on my first business travel since starting. *Travel is the issue that has almost always disrupted any plan I've ever followed.

I can usually only stay on plan for maybe the first day or so at best, then cave by dinner of Day 2. . . if I don't cave in the airport on Day 1.

This trip will be two travel days, two conference days, and one extra free day to visit my brother. *

My goal is to manage either good rotations with high (40% of normal) DDs, or at the very least get through it without any UUADs. It's not like conference food is anything special. But there are scores of food encounters, business dinners, and our boss likes to "reward" us with high-priced restaurant meals for being on the road.

Today is DD travel--a 2-leg flight and 90 minute drive, followed immediately by a cocktail reception (have to go, we are hosting) and likely dinner with the crew after.

I've made it through the flights on coffee with cream. My tummy has been rumbling ( hard not to with McDonald's on one side and Dunkin Donuts on the other). But I brought a couple of boiled eggs just in case and haven't been willing to get into them yet.

Next is the drive, then hit the ground running. Hoping I'll manage to hold out through the reception and have a nice meal after.

We'll see...
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
You can do it! You have a plan - and that is a huge part of the battle already won!

If, and this may not happen, but if you exceed your planned 40% do not despair and grab the nearest ice cream sundae!! Just bring yourself back on track and return to plan. I speak from experience.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
You've got this! I do lots of weekend trips or 4 days at a time and seem to do just fine, though I don't have as many food opportunities as you do. You're thinking about it, which is half the battle.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Well, I probably overshot my 40% a bit, but it wasn't too bad. It *was* a really long day, and the last couple of hours at the reception were a real pain in the a$$ because I just didn't feel like chatting and wanted a MEAL.

I snacked on raw veggies and a tbs of ranch dressing there. Then the rest of our entourage wanted Tex-Mex for dinner, which was about the last thing in the world I wanted. But we were directed to a local hangout that had several seafood dishes on the menu, so I tried a ranchero tilapia dinner that was pretty okay. I had a 10 chips, a couple tbs of queso, a spinach salad with a little cheese and vinaigrette, the tilapia (more cheese on top), refried beans, and a side of avocado slices. Ate all the salad and most of the fish, but about halfway through the refried beans I couldn't eat another bite.

Tried to log as much as possible, but I can only best guess at somewhere around 900 calories for the day. I can live with that--I fought for it.

But I'm sure glad tomorrow is a UD!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Excellent start! Even at 900 calories you ate low!

Have a truly great UD!!!
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LindaD
Stats: First time 300/190/160 10/24/2000
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Start JUDDD 6/25/12 254.5/220.5/200

Good job!!!

I have vacation in a couple of weeks and travel day is a DD.....my biggest cave is Starbucks...Sf vanilla Breve at the airport....lots of calories...maybe I can settle for a coffee with 1/2 and 1/2??? LOL
Have a great trip
LindaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/163.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
You are doing really well!!
I have every confidence that your good planning and firm resolve will see you through.
Don't forget that you have LOST weight.
I bet your business clothes feel great!
Blessings,
Pat
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
You're doing amazing!

My experience with trying to JUDDD while on a business trip went something like this. The first day, I held strictly to my JUDDD limit for a DD. No cheats. The next day, I held to my up day limits. The third day went totally off the rails and I forgot JUDDD even existed until it was time to go home.

My reward? A 6 lb gain that undid everything I had accomplished on JUDDD to that point. It was soooo hard to see that. And it didn't go away in two rotations either. It took a full week. But when it did go away? It went away in a cascade. A huge whoosh. And then totally normal losses after that.

So, I'm not saying you should give yourself permission to go crazy. But I am saying that as long as you're resolved in your heart and mind that full rotations start again IMMEDIATELY after the conference, I think you're going to do just fine! It's the consistency of JUDDD that I think really works it's magic.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Great job!! I know it is tough on the go. There was recently a big travel thread (I believe started by Soren) with helpful tips for next time.

And great post by stephdray above--that accurately describes my JUDDD travel and the non-negotiable is right back on the horse as soon as I get home.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Well, I'm home now, and it didn't go quite as well as I hoped, but for some reason I feel totally okay about that.

My second DD ended up as another UD, essentially. But I counted the calories after and didn't go over. Then yesterday was my scheduled UD, and because I was meeting brother and extended family for dinner, I had no intention of not keeping it.

What I learned:

* If I have to do a business meal on a DD and everyone else is eating (especially when the group is 98% firefighters), I'm going to eat. The hosts provided the box lunch, and about all I could do was pick the least damaging sandwich and skip the chips and gigantic cookie.

* If I'm traveling and get a chance for a fun new experience that involves food, I'm likely going to eat and drink. It was a painting party, and it was an absolute blast--but we had no time for a real dinner, and all the painters brought wine and cheese. I didn't care, it was worth it.

* My resolve on a travel DD will waver if faced with a lot of stress. Had to defuse a bad miscommunication between co-workers that almost ruined the rest of the trip. It was at that moment I decided I *would* be having wine and cheese later that night instead of trying to workaround.

* Didn't enjoy my UD meals that much. I've felt this way before about travel--after awhile, the restaurant meals get boring. Best part about yesterday was two really good margaritas. The other stuff I thought I would love (especially the pastries), not so much.

Flew home today and managed to make it a high DD (under 800). I'm okay with that, going to do a more balanced UD tomorrow and get back in the groove.

We'll see what the damage was tomorrow, lol. . .
Old 09-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Marla: Welcome home to you and me too! I'm back from a beautiful, fun week in Hawaii and my body time clock is all messed up. It's a 3 hour difference and it will take me a few days to not feel out of whack.

Of course the dang scale is up. However, I've already decided to not feel guilty. I had too many Mai Tais and even had a Pina Colada one evening. I have not had one of those since my honeymoon almost 40 years ago. It was good, but I won't have a problem waiting another 40 years. lol.

Every meal was fabulous and worth every bite. Monday evening was a dinner with JUDD BUDD, Seabreezes, and her DH. It was great, overlooking the beach and terrific food and friendship.

I'll check in with you tomorrow. Will that be your first DD since getting back?

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hi Marla & Yam-Yam! so nice to see you back!!!

Don't know if this will help, but a few weeks ago I read that one strategy for getting your body to cooperate with the local time zone is to stop eating 12-16 hours before you want to wake up the next day.

So if you want to get up at 7am tomorrow, you'd have dinner tonight sometime between 3pm and 7pm.

I think I came across it when Pooti posted about circadian rhythm...
yep...found it:
How to Naturally Reset Your Sleep Cycle in One Night | Wise Bread
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 09-30-2012 at 11:26 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Marla: Welcome home to you and me too! I'm back from a beautiful, fun week in Hawaii and my body time clock is all messed up. It's a 3 hour difference and it will take me a few days to not feel out of whack.

Of course the dang scale is up. However, I've already decided to not feel guilty. I had too many Mai Tais and even had a Pina Colada one evening. I have not had one of those since my honeymoon almost 40 years ago. It was good, but I won't have a problem waiting another 40 years. lol.

Every meal was fabulous and worth every bite. Monday evening was a dinner with JUDD BUDD, Seabreezes, and her DH. It was great, overlooking the beach and terrific food and friendship.

I'll check in with you tomorrow. Will that be your first DD since getting back?

Actually, yesterday (my return home day) was a high DD, and I decided to make today a UD and do a serious DD tomorrow. I figured after three consecutive UDs Wed-Fri I should make at least a DD attempt yesterday.

My weigh-in today had me up just 1.4, which frankly was really good considering the three nights of alcohol, air travel, some serious Friday carbing, and TOM this weekend. I'm taking that to mean yesterday's DD already undid a little of the damage.

Today I'm going to try to make the UD lower in carbs and higher in fats.

Your Hawaii trip sounded marvelous! I don't blame you a bit for indulging--you just don't get to do that very often and you should take advantage when you do. That's the way I want to live my life.

Marla
Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Maria up only 1.4 is impressive. Be gentle with yourself, you did good. I believe that you will soon see the drop in weight you are waiting for.

I have no hormones left, so can't advise on that side of things.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Marla: Kudos! that's a bump, not a bounce IMO! Now, to make you feel REALLY good: my gain noted yesterday morning is a trampoline bounce. Wheeeeeeee! Up sky high10 pounds. But, down 1.2 since yesterday. So I can now call it +8.8 which somehow sounds a teeny bit better.

I'm sticking with lean protein, some fat in the form of EVOO and EVCO today and low carb. Lots of water!!! Gotta remember to take my vitamins. That will help.

Very anxious about stepping on the scale tomorrow morning. I just want to see a good down turn so I'm not tempted to be really discouraged.

I know I gained a lot of water weight. But, with all the empty calories, I'm pretty sure some of it turned into fat as well. Proof of that to me is the size 12 cotton (non-stretchy) shorts I wore a few days ago will not button. EEEEEK!!!

That will be my measure more than the scale. Gonna keep trying on those shorts until they fit comfortably again. I also gotta get the SIRT1 flowing. Onward!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote