Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Question about the unexpected (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/783904-question-about-unexpected.html)

aprilmarie 09-24-2012 12:15 PM

Question about the unexpected

I just started JUDD a little over a week ago and so far I've been doing quite well. I have a question about when unexpected things happen like this: Wednesday is supposed to be a down day for me, but I have friends coming to town (just found out today) and they want to have dinner. How should I adjust my plan? Should I switch today to an up day and do a down day on Tuesday and an up day on Wednesday? Or do two up days in a row or two down days in a row? Not sure what to do! Thanks in advance!

KathyL 09-24-2012 05:28 PM

Definitely not two DDs in a row. I would stick to today being a DD, Tuesday a MD (medium day) and Wed an UD. Figure Tuesdays calories as the average of an UD and DD.

stephdray 09-24-2012 07:09 PM

Sometimes this happens. I try not to let it happen often, but life is a pain. Here are some coping strategies I've adopted.

Last week, I had a big interview in NYC on a Down Day. There was no way I could focus, so it needed to be an Up Day. I considered trying a medium day inbetween to switch my rotation, but that was even less convenient and I worried about how I'd react. So I did two Up Days in a row and went right back into my rotations.

Now, this week, I have about five different days worth of "life happens." They can't all be up days. So I figured out what I could do about the birthday dinner that fell on a down day. As it happens, the restaurant is a chain and I looked up the menu and found something I could have.

In short, I haven't given myself permission to have an Up Day when I shouldn't, but I have given myself permission to have a Down Day that might go a little high or even into maintenance levels.

WJS 09-25-2012 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathyL (Post 15967991)
Definitely not two DDs in a row. I would stick to today being a DD, Tuesday a MD (medium day) and Wed an UD. Figure Tuesdays calories as the average of an UD and DD.

I thought it was OK to do two DDs in a row. After seeing the Horizon program I thought it was actually encouraged? I just finished two in a row yesterday and did two a few weeks ago and it definitely seems to help me on the scales.

gotsomeold 09-25-2012 06:29 AM

A lot of metabolisms find that second DD leaves them either physically sick/weak/dizzy, or so calorically stressed that weight loss stalls and it takes a few rotations to resume. So, the general rule is JUDDD is one DD/one UD rotation.

However, some of our JUDDD BUDDDs are doing two DDs in a row without encountering any problems. I guess if I wanted to try that, I would plan the experiment for a time I was not dependent on completing both DDs.

When I need to juggle my rotation I do what Stephanie said.

WJS 09-25-2012 06:45 AM

That sounds like good advice. To be honest mine has been damage control only but it did seem to work for me. But for those that can follow it well I would never suggest doing two in a row.

There are a few here that have done it but it has always been unusual circumstances by the look of it.

Double down day

Librarygirl 09-25-2012 06:57 AM

What do you do when you're on vacation, or when you have friends/family visting, etc. Can you imagine doing every other day DD on a cruise?

I'm considering this WOE...but I am afraid, lol...not of the above mentioned, but just the extremes.

gotsomeold 09-25-2012 07:52 AM

On cruises (I am an addict) I just watch what I eat...to a degree. My last cruise in May, I gained - golly, don't have my log - it was either four or six pounds. I returned to the DD/UD rotations on Monday and was at a new low on Thursday morning. JUDDD is very forgiving.

Aeroangie 09-25-2012 08:01 AM

I also have done two DD's in a row with no problem. Of course, the day before I had an UUAD that probably fueled it.

jem51 09-25-2012 08:52 AM

5/2 is 2 DD's in a row and it seems to work quite well.

I've done them consecutively by accident but it isn't a big deal....

That said, I think if you turn a DD into an UD then the next should be DD.
If you are trying to stick to a specific rotation, either do two DD or make one a MD.

Lots of choices!!

Luv2Eat 09-25-2012 09:02 AM

This happened to me a few days ago - my parents took me to dinner (they are so sweet!) on my DD. What I did was, I fasted all day, then had a light meal. I did eat a sweet potato with marshmallows and butter - oh my, it was so good!! I don't regret it in the least ;-) I considered it a medium day, then went right back to rotations, and here, three days later, I'm at a new low! I agree, JUDD is very forgiving - do what seems to be the best thing for you.

KathyL 09-25-2012 05:23 PM

I'm guessing everybody will handle differently 2 DDs together. I *can* do 2 in a row.....I can do 3 and 4 in a row (and have before JUDDD) BUT after starting JUDDD, for *me*, my weight loss or maintenance seemed no different if I did that or kept to a regular rotation and threw in a MD when needing to alter things. After seeing that for myself more than once I decided it was so not worth having 2 DDs together. LOL

Librarygirl 09-25-2012 05:30 PM

Kathy, if I may ask, when did you start JUDDD, and how much have you lost just on this WOE? Thanks! :)

KathyL 09-25-2012 05:42 PM

I started JUDDD in February. It was hit and miss at first due to several out of town trips I needed to make but by March I was following regular rotations. I lost 80 lbs last year....gained just a few pounds over the holidays and was having a hard time getting them back off. Found this board and gave it a go. Lost those few pounds plus another 5 or so and have been using JUDDD to maintain. :)

Carly 09-25-2012 06:47 PM

I just got home tonight from a 5 day vacation. I did not do rotations at all. I find that I eat way less than I did before JUDDD, but that being said I expect a gain when I weigh tomorrow. I suspect that a lot is water since TOM is overdue and I ate way more carbs on vacation than I ever would at home, but I'm not worried. JUDDD is very forgiving if you have been loyal to your rotations- which I have. I'll guess that the standard 2 rotations will reverse any temporary gain. I hate MDs for changing rotations, but if I need to I usually have my DD and then fast till dinner the next day and have a reasonable meal for a MD. They definitely cause me to stall so I may consider the double DD in the future, but wouldn't recommend it if you are new to this WOE.