Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Not JUDDD, but -3.6lbs in 4 days

I found a new WOE and just want to share...

Of course, I'm not trying to lure anyone away from JUDDD, but I know there are some BUDDDs/former BUDDDs for whom the plan hasn't worked out so well. Maybe someone will find this helpful; it also may be a really good plan for Type 2 diabetics.

Monday: 273.8
(Tues & Wed: TOM, so disregarding those numbers! )
Thu: 273.6
Fri..: 272.4
Sat: 271.0
Sun: 270.0

If y'all know me, you know I am a slow loser...3lbs in a month, if I'm lucky. So 3.6lbs in 4 days is quite amazing! And it's not just water retention weight that I'd put on lately; there were a couple pounds of that, too, so I've lost 5-6lbs the last 2 weeks! But once I got under 274, I felt that was "real" weight which I regained 3 or more weeks ago, and I haven't been under 271 for 6 weeks.

The plan is called "The Metabolism Miracle" by Diane Kress. There's a book by that name, as well as "The Diabetes Miracle". I think the eating plans are the same, but I just have the diabetes book.

I've mentioned this in a couple other threads, but I thought I'd put it in one place.
And, I won't ramble on & on right now, but I'll come back in a few hours and share some more info if anyone's interested.

A couple other people on LCF are doing it now:
Diabetes/Metabolism Miracle?

And here are some articles that outline the plan
(the headlines are a bit silly, but I don't want to "steal" info from the book):
The metabolism miracle: The revolutionary diet that can help you stay slim forever | Mail Online
The metabolism miracle diet part two: Eat carbs and still lose weight! | Mail Online
The metabolism miracle diet part three: How eating five meals a day can burn away your fat! | Mail Online
Chocolate brownies? Now that's what I call a diet! The final part of our Metabolism Miracle weight-loss plan... | Mail Online
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Great info PJ. Thanks for sharing, we have a number of Diabetics who can only benefit from the stuff here.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Recipes for Metabolism Miracle - Step 1

Here is a link to recipes. There was a large group of us doing this quite some time ago.

I now find JUDDD easier as I am not diabetic so don't have to worry about the timing of eating.

A lot of people really liked her concepts. It also explains how we can lose inches without appearantly weight loss on the scale. I think that Los happens on JUDDD. I hope this is the answer for you.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Great news PJ!

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy learning more about nutrition and metabolism.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
I am so thrilled for you PJ!!!!!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Wonderful PJ! Love to hear that this is working!

Keep us updated and will definitely be watching!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/116/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Yes, yes several of us are interested so please tell us all more and thanks so very much for telling us about this, also great that it is working for you - WTG!!

Leona
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Anything specific you'd like to know, Leona, that wasn't covered in the articles?

A lot of the concepts are similar to parts of Dr Bernstein's plan & the "Leptin Reset" (Dr Kruse); over the last 18 months or so I've looked into the science behind them, so they make sense to me and don't seem crash-diet-dangerous.

(There are 3 steps to the plan, and I've only familiarized myself with Step 1, so I don't cheat! )

This is just some basic info so you can decide whether it's something you'd be interested in trying. You may want to get the book or sign up for her website if you want to start the plan (although the articles I linked have quite a bit of information & several recipes).

--Eat within 1 hour of waking, even if you only have time for a snack before breakfast.
--You can have 5 net carbs at a meal or snack, but must wait 5 hours before having another carb serving
(previously called the "5x5" rule).
(Many foods are "neutral" even though they have carbs, such as green veggies, nuts, protein foods;
there's an "arrow chart" in the 1st article.)
--While awake, you should not go more than 5 hours without eating; this prevents "liver dump", which raises blood sugar. You can have a snack if you wake up in the middle of the night.
--Have a snack about an hour before bed.
--Exercise for at least 10-15 minutes sometime between dinner & bedtime. You could also do a longer workout--whatever your "regular" exercise is.

There's a slightly complicated rule about "fueling" for exercising--it's something like: you need to have a carb serving before exercise if you're going to exercise for more than 30 minutes, and you have to "re-fuel" at 30 minutes if you're exercising longer than that. That might not be entirely accurate; I'm working from memory but I KIND OF FIGURED THIS OUT ON MY OWN SO I FEEL REALLY SMART!!!

Look, I can prove it:
Quote:
I'm also wondering, if a person was doing a lengthy hike, walk, bike ride, etc, but took breaks for snacks or sipped on a drink with some calories in it, if that would give them enough fuel that they wouldn't (go into stress response)? --Me, on 8/25/2012 Burn more calories = lose weight faster?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Jenny, how cool is it that you are always thinking of others who might benefit from what you learn about diabetes and the possibilities of diet and way-of-eating that could help? VERY, VERY cool. Also downright thoughtful and kind.

As you've said, these ideas are interesting and in fact some look like they could dovetail with a JUDDD plan for someone like me who chooses to consume DD calories a little at a time all day. So I'm going to check them out.

All best wishes for more losses.
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Jenny, can't wait to read more about this. I second what Whitlin' and all the others said here. It's entirely awesome that you think so much for all of us!!! MUAH! You're a one of a kind gal, girl.

HUGE congrats on your losses!!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4

I am doing the Balki-from-Perfect-Strangers dance of joy for you!!!

Thank you for sharing.
mttemple4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
:jump joy:
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/116/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Jenny!

So kind of you to post all this info, thank you so much.

I have a good friend who I will mention all this too as she does have Type 2 diabetics,
and I'm sure she will appreciate all this info!

So very thoughtful of you to take the time to do this!

Thanks Once Again!

Leona

Also how wonderful that you lost so very much in such a short time, good going!

Last edited by leonak; 09-24-2012 at 07:47 AM..
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
that is excellent news, so glad you are losing. keep shaking it off baby!
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jen,

I am curious about the soy flour? Is it the type of soy that would be okay for thyroid? I had never even heard of it.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, I am thinking this would be a great addition to the Kruse Leptin RX. It does have a lot of the same basic steps.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm so glad you all are enjoying this information!

I think if it were to be combined with JUDDD, you might want to have slightly higher calorie DDs...she does mention that it's not meant to be low-calorie, and you have to "enough" (I'm sure that's different for every person) of the neutral foods to succeed.

But my appetite is so reduced on this level of carbs, that yesterday when I tallied everything up before bed, I found I had only eaten about 1500 calories. (ETA: And I hadn't been trying to restrict calories.) My "normal" level, if I just eat freely, is at least 2200-2500.

My weight is up a tiny bit today...270.8...NBD, but of course I was hopeful that I might be in a new decade instead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Jen,

I am curious about the soy flour? Is it the type of soy that would be okay for thyroid?
I doubt it would be okay for thyroid, although sprouted/fermented soy may be better.
Soy flour is low-carb/high protein (5g net carb + 10g protein for 1/4 cup, whereas other flours are 15-20g net carb + 2-4g protein, so I imagine that's why it's in the recipes. I was thinking a combination of flax and almond or coconut flour could be used instead.

Last edited by piratejenny; 09-24-2012 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: ETA
Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you for this info! I sent it to my daughter and asked her to see if she can get the go ahead from her MD. He has been helping her with her hormones and cortisol, so I am wondering if this "Metabolism Miracle" might be better for her than doing SB!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
PJ that's awesome news!Is this diet doable for us vegans? I keep trying JUDDD but have a very hard time with DD due to the nature of my work and constantly entertaining clients :-(
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Nicki!

It's a low-carb diet, so I think that would limit you quite a bit.

Although, you *can* eat veggies, nuts, seeds, olives & avocados to your heart's content...don't have to count carbs for those!!! (Cashews might be an exception...I can't find anything right now, but I know they're higher in carbs than most nuts.)

Fruits are very limited, especially in Step 1 (1/3 cup blueberries, for example!).

Grains/beans would have to be strictly limited, too.

If you're doing raw, I take it you don't eat things like tofu, tempeh, or seitan?
Those would be good protein sources...but soybeans are a "free" food, so let me know if you eat them in any form?
(I consider tofu vastly inferior to tempeh, since tofu isn't a whole food [made from soy milk],
but tempeh is whole AND fermented! )

Steps 2 & 3 allow larger servings of carbs...11-20g net in Step 2; I haven't read about Step 3 yet!

Hey, the more I think about it, the more it seems like it could be more "doable" for you than JUDDD! I can think of a lot of filling raw vegan meals that would fit into the plan just fine, especially if you eat nuts & avocados!

Last edited by piratejenny; 09-24-2012 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thank you for this info! I sent it to my daughter and asked her to see if she can get the go ahead from her MD. He has been helping her with her hormones and cortisol, so I am wondering if this "Metabolism Miracle" might be better for her than doing SB!
I think it's way better than SB!
(Not that I've tried SB myself, but I looked at the food lists & it seems pretty fat-phobic. Also, no carbs allowed at all in Phase 1, whereas Diane allows the 5g, and gives more guidance for re-introducing carbs. I had a big salad for breakfast--and 2 Triscuits!!! )
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Sorry I'm late....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
It boils down to a low carb diet -pretty much the same old Atkins as the carb tally is around 25-30 grams a day depending on how many salads you eat.

As a chronic new diet browser it seems to me that all the new diets around are pretty much the same: no grains, low carb, good fats as in coconut oil, butter, olive oil, low sugar and no veg fats and franken sugars , lots of green veg and raw and no processed, full fat dairy if not intolerant, some choccy if high cocoa content.

This describes Paleo, Primal, the Perfect diet, Alkaline, Bulletproof, and this diet too. Some of them allow tubers: sweet potatoes, yams, carrots potatoes and white rice, some are more low carb. What suits re carb restriction probably depends on your genetic inheritance and recent diet and how quickly you want to slim down.

This approach seems to work for a lot of people and looks inherently healthy and is also tasty and socially acceptable. I try to stick to this approach and I can't say I'm stick thin so I think you still have to watch the calories and/or do IF.

Interestingly, when I was feeling rough with a bad cold last week I positively craved bread and carbs so I decided to go with what my body was telling me and did a carb re-feed and felt a lot better.

As a long term low carber I've found it suits me and gets the weight off but eventually you need some more starch. Primitive tribes always have a carb source in there somehow - mostly from tubers. I also think a bit of quality home made bread is ok if you have shown you are not intolerant of it. The power of cutting grains is that it means it also rules out 90% of junk food.

Not sure about eating 5 meals a day. I'm pretty convinced of the IF approach to turning on the fat burning mechanism and turning off the insulin response but this may not suit diabetics so well.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
The rave book reviews include people who describe themselves as 'vegan'. Implying it can be done.

I already ordered my limit of books for the month...will add this one to next month's list.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I think it's way better than SB!
(Not that I've tried SB myself, but I looked at the food lists & it seems pretty fat-phobic. Also, no carbs allowed at all in Phase 1, whereas Diane allows the 5g, and gives more guidance for re-introducing carbs. I had a big salad for breakfast--and 2 Triscuits!!! )

I am so happy for you! Triscuits and salad! Okay, I can't wait to have time to study this myself.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
SB is pretty wide and I think it changed to allow legumes from the beginning.

Yes, these plans are saturated fat phobic but not low fat, at all....just different fat.
That's fine since all these fats have been consumed in areas where longevity is high, so there's really not the evidence that this is bad (well, maybe on LC forums).

Dr Agsten makes watching carbs easy by just saying that 1/2 c, for example, is a serving.
Things like egg yolks were re introduced in the Superchared version, I think.

Snacking/mini meal works very well for me so even though I don't call it five meals daily, it usually is.

PJ, the bottom line is; the most important factor is that you have a plan you can follow w/o chronic binging. That's the one that'll be most likely to produce results.
I actually know peop who've followed WW since....forever. Really, it happens.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
Dr Agsten makes watching carbs easy by just saying that 1/2 c, for example, is a serving.

PJ, the bottom line is; the most important factor is that you have a plan you can follow w/o chronic binging.
Who's Dr Agsten?

I don't have a "chronic binging" issue.

Sorry if it seemed I was bashing SB; I wasn't. I meant I thought this one was "better" in respect to someone with cortisol issues. Eating every 5 hours & eating soon after waking are supposed to help with that.

Quote:

Last edited by piratejenny; 09-25-2012 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: add quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I didn't mean to insinuate that you were binging.

Mainly just that finding a plan you can stick to.....

Maybe I mispelled his name....the cardiologist who wrote SB.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh...Internet says it's Agatston?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I spent a couple hours reading the book today, and it was SO interesting to me.

In all the steps (including maintenance), there's a great emphasis on preventing liver dump.

I don't think I've come across this in any other plan that I've read--
not saying it's not addressed in Atkins or South Beach or whatever,
I just haven't read it or heard rumors about it or seen discussions on LCF.

In Step 1, you're emptying the liver & muscles of glycogen by following the low-carb plan; this takes 3 days or more. You eat every 5 hours (or less) to prevent liver dump (because even when the liver has no glycogen stores, it can "make" glucose out of fat & protein).

In Steps 2 & 3, you re-introduce carbs and replenish the glycogen stores, but then you eat a certain amount of carbs every 5 hours to continue preventing liver dump.

When the liver "dumps", it's the equivalent of 45-65g carbs!
But eating just 11-20g carbs will prevent this!!!

"Slip-ups" or "treats" are allowed twice a week after Step 1...and if you have a vacation or time off-plan for some other reason, she explains how to recover...you just do Steps 1 & 2 again for a few days, to reset your metabolism.

I'm really, really pleased with everything I read today, and I feel like it will give me a very realistic & practical but enjoyable way to manage my diabetes, while being able to eat "normally" with family, at work, in social situations, etc.

Last edited by piratejenny; 09-25-2012 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: grammar