Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
11 Weeks on JUDDD--And Frustrated

Today I weighed in at 270. Again. That's a 0 lb loss for me this week. My total is 15 lbs lost on JUDDD and 20 lbs total, averaging 1.3 lbs per week.

So, it's official. I'm stuck the same place I always get stuck on a diet. My weekly rate of weight loss on JUDDD has slowed way down and probably would inspire absolutely no one to try this WOE.

I enjoy JUDDD more than WW, but I lost faster on that and I have to get this weight off. I don't have lots of time to putter around with it. That's why I was considering weight loss surgery. This week is the first time since starting JUDDD that I've had to think about that as an option again. I want this to work. I need this to work. And while last week I was staring the scale down with steely resolve, this week I'm getting shaky.

On the other hand, there are some encouraging signs. I appear to have lost an inch off my waist this week. Moreover, I've "seen" 269 again, fleeting as it was, so my body is hopefully flirting with a lower weight. And, as I will discuss below, JUDDD has become second nature in a way few diets have ever been before. Inches are more important than pounds, so maybe I need to calm the heck down.

Here are the upsides and downsides of this week.

Downsides

Increased Hunger. C'mon, skinny gene! Some days it feels like you're with me and other days not so much. I think this might have to do with the fact that I've been trying to adjust my JUDDD numbers for my new weight to spur weight loss and my appetite is having a backlash. I'm hungry on down days but now I'm hungry on up days too. Fortunately, it seems a lot more manageable than it used to.

Overconfidence. My stomach is smaller than it used to be. I get fuller on less food. Because of this, I've tried to just "trust" myself to stop eating when I'm done. And while I have stopped long before I'm overfull--my calories on my up days have been a little bit on the high side because of this misplaced confidence.

Upsides

Never Thought It Would Happen. This week, due to a trip I made into NYC for an interview, I ended up having two up days in a row. After the second up day I got home and thought, "Thank god tomorrow is a Down Day. I'm going to feel so much better." No, really. I actually thought this!!! Mostly, I am still not thrilled with DDs. They are sometimes easy, sometimes hard. I don't dread them with the kind of naked fear I used to. But this is the first--and hopefully not the last--time I have ever looked forward to one. Of course, that might be a one time thing :P

In the Groove. One of the things that often derails me on diets is that life happens to you. You get sucked into some kind of drama or some personal thing and you forget all about your eating plan. This was one of those kinds of weeks for me, where I might have expected it to all fall apart. I had a day trip into NYC, we had overnight guests stay at the house, we learned that loved ones are in harms way a world away, etc. Notice, I didn't even really have the time to post here and I barely had time to count calories--though I did my best. Still, I did not fall off the wagon. And more impressively, it did not take much willpower to stay on it. JUDDD is becoming second nature to me. I'm becoming accustomed to eating this way and because only a few days out of the week instead of every day out of the week requires my fullest attention, it's easier to stick to. I guarantee there would have been no WW'ing going on in this house this week had that been the plan. And Low Carb would have been severely compromised. So JUDDD's flexibility is fitting into my life with increasing ease.

Learning Satiety. Even though I still can't trust my body to count calories, I'm starting to be able to trust myself around food. Stuffing myself to the point where I might feel ill was actually a relatively frequent occurrence for me throughout my life because I never had any mechanism whatsoever to tell me that I was full until it was too late. I tried all sorts of tricks. Try to eat slower. Try to drink a lot of water first. You know the drill. A lot of people here have said that JUDDD is a healing plan. This is my only real evidence of that, but it's nice evidence. I have a much better idea now when to stop eating--and there is also a lot less desperation involved. If it's awesome, I'll have more of it soon enough. I actually managed not to scarf down the most awesome cheesecake in the world at Juniors. I ate half of it. It was great. I took the rest home. THAT NEVER HAPPENS.

Lack of Stress. The predictability of down days make them less stressful. (Though this can be counteracted by a hungry day. Those stress me out a lot.) The ease of up days make them less stressful. I feel like I'm just living my life and if only my weight loss were a little faster, I'd be pretty thrilled.

Last edited by stephdray; 09-20-2012 at 08:31 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Darn that 270! Darn it, darn it, darn it!!!

I hate that number, too.

I was so happy a couple months ago when I was in the 260s for a while.
(Now I'm just trying to be happy that I'm under 275 again.)

I hope the Whoosh Fairy is on her way to your house!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well Steph.. I am thrilled that you are still at it

Here is my thoughts .. First, you must do what you feel is best for you own body and it WLS is whats best for you then there is no shame in that.! You have givin this WOE your best( Right? Not going over.. or under??) And if thats the case you have been a true sucess for JUDDD.. This is not a fast plan. never was.. and for me.. i will be honest with you.. yes i have lost alot on JUDDD but.. For me.. this had to be treated as a diet for it work.. i had to resrtict certain foods and even eliminate others.. While JUDDD can work by eating any thing you want.. for me... that would have been my DEMISE... Some times.. We all dont get that lucky to eat what ever and still lose weight. Not to discourage you in any way.. but i just felt i wanted to share with you the only way i was able to make this plan work (when all others failed or stalled) was to veiw this as a diet.. So i pray that you find what is best for you! WLS or JUDDD What ever it is.. just dont give up.. you are worth the struggle.. Love ya girl
Again..This was just my thoughts as i read your post today.. so please.. take it for what it was.. just my ramblings for the day.. love ya~ best of luck hun~
1994 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/211/180
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart 1-18-14
Steph, you continue to inspire me!

Yes, we want to see that number going down at a consistent rate, but look at the big picture of your progress--I too, flirted with a new milestone weight (got to 199 this week) so we KNOW what's gonna happen...Soon, the flirting turns to total comfort, as we pass over the hump, far enough down that we don't have to worry about hitting that milestone number again. TIME can be the biggest party-pooper ever. You've done this long enough to know that.

I LOVE this week's "Upsides"! I'm starting to look forward to my DD's too! Amazing! And the last couple times we went out to eat, I ended up bringing a doggy-bag home....which hardly ever happened in the past. (Of course, I end up being the dog that eats it 2 days later)

I can relate a bit to the "overconfidence"--In every "diet" I've attempted, it seems that when I hit a certain number, I get this superhuman feeling....nothing can stop me....I can start taking more chances with my food. This has always been my downfall, and I'm experiencing a little of that today....2 days after getting out of the 200 range, I had a huge breakfast. I don't even think I was that hungry. I just ate it because I figured I can! grr.

You're doing such a fabulous job, and I soooooo appreciate you sharing everything with us!

Hopeful that tracking my progress will keep me focused! http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...d-journal.html
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Well Steph.. I am thrilled that you are still at it
I am, and truthfully, even if I did decide that I should get WLS, there is no way that I would be arranging all of that before the new year, so I'm being a huge drama queen in even bringing it up at the moment. I'll need to make a sober evaluation in January... but a two week stall is probably not the reason to go nutty.

Quote:
This is not a fast plan. never was.. and for me.. i will be honest with you.. yes i have lost alot on JUDDD but.. For me.. this had to be treated as a diet for it work.. i had to resrtict certain foods and even eliminate others..
What did you have to restrict? I have no idea what I should or would restrict. Carbs definitely lead to water retention for me, but they don't seem to have any impact on weight loss. I seem to lose weight faster on fats but those add up in calories pretty quickly. And protein, I dunno...which nutrient would you advise cutting?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You have givin this WOE your best( Right? Not going over.. or under??)
I think so! I mean, I began to suspect last week that I was going to have to recalculate on the JUDDD calculator for my losses. So I did that and made a brave stab at the new numbers. I didn't always meet them but I came under my old numbers and often hit the new ones.

There is some confusion for me here exactly when one should adjust the numbers. And if there is going to come a time when the overall daily average caloric level is scary low enough that the wheels will come off the train in terms of metabolism. I'm kind of feeling my way through the dark there.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
I am, and truthfully, even if I did decide that I should get WLS, there is no way that I would be arranging all of that before the new year, so I'm being a huge drama queen in even bringing it up at the moment. I'll need to make a sober evaluation in January... but a two week stall is probably not the reason to go nutty.

What did you have to restrict? I have no idea what I should or would restrict. Carbs definitely lead to water retention for me, but they don't seem to have any impact on weight loss. I seem to lose weight faster on fats but those add up in calories pretty quickly. And protein, I dunno...which nutrient would you advise cutting?
Well Sweet pea.. In January I am hubby started sugar buster kind of.. There are no.. WHITE sugar at all in my home, not a single bite of pasta, in 9 months, no Rice, white or brown. no white bread.. Only Joesphs flax lavish wraps... not a single white potatoe. and no ice cream,,, in 9 months.. i ate two browines in 9 months.. no candy in 9 months.. I Decided.. Those things cant be good.. oh and also.. we have eaten fastfood like pizza with out the crust, we just buy a larger pizza to scrap off the toppings. but other that then we have had fast food only 2times and once it was taco hell and the other was burgerking .. Some thing had to change in my relationship to food.. and in my brain as to what was good for me! No one else.. just me.. And i really dont feel deprived.. I am planning my "cheat" day .. I have allowed my self one full cheat day.. and thats Thanksgiving dinner.. I WILL eat,, potatoes, and all the stuffing.. and even brwon sugar yams! BUt i know this is a one time deal.. for 1 meal,, not the whole day.. and i wll probally get sick!! But i am looking for ward to that day, that meal,, as my reward~ Rember.. this is what worked for me and my hubby.. not every one wants to eat like this forever,, but i want to keep my weight off and down for rest of my life~
Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Quote:
...a two week stall is probably not the reason to go nutty.
And if you've lost an inch off your waist, it might not really be considered a stall...
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: start 150 now 135 goal 125
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Steph, just go back and read your original post that started this thread. You were having a wobble but just look at the beautiful insights you share with us. Look at your amazing list of Upsides.

Yes, you were having a crisis of confidence, feeling tyrannised by a number on a lump of machinery and pressured by a timescale. But what I read is that you are already experiencing miraculous changes in your life and your approach to eating.

Don't get discouraged. You can do this and you're already seeing that the benefits are much greater than a number on the scale!!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

And i will say..this.. I MISS BREAD! I loved it, was an adict.. but.. i am more than my addiction to bread.. This WOE works for every one else by eating what ever.. but it did not for me..i had to make it fit my body.. this seams to fit,, so i just wanted to share that sometimes.. just following everyone elses lead may stil not work for us.. or for me.. i wanted to give you the gift of my honesty.. not some fluff today.. cuz you can do tthis!! you just have to find what works for Stephs Body!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
I think so! I mean, I began to suspect last week that I was going to have to recalculate on the JUDDD calculator for my losses. So I did that and made a brave stab at the new numbers. I didn't always meet them but I came under my old numbers and often hit the new ones.

There is some confusion for me here exactly when one should adjust the numbers. And if there is going to come a time when the overall daily average caloric level is scary low enough that the wheels will come off the train in terms of metabolism. I'm kind of feeling my way through the dark there.
I have never been accused of being the most patient person in the world and I adjusted my calories several times with my weight loss. Sometimes I had success, and other times I learned that I had lowered them too far. Even though the calculator gave me lowered numbers to match my lowered weight, I lost more steadily at the higher numbers. The one drawback I see over and over with JUDDD is also one of it's most redeeming qualities--that it's different for each of us. We have to kind of play around and see what works best for our individual metabolisms, which also change over time. It can be scary and confusing, as well as exhilarating and kind of fun all mixed in a big bundle of WTH am I doing?!

I love that you've lost inches despite the scale not moving much. I tend to see the scale loss first, then the inches catch up later. I get really frustrated at the tape measure, and honestly rarely take it out, as others avoid the scale.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Yes!
I often think my waist looks slimmer but unfortunately the tape measure tends to disagree.

Note to self: The pants never lie!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I just wanted to put out there for all of those who read what i wrote..
I am NOT trying to tell any one that it is the way you have to do it.. I just want anyone else who trys and struggles with it, to not be afraid to adjust "what" they are eating as a way to make it work perhaps for them.. I know theres alot of you who can eat EVERYTHING!!! But i am not one of those lucky folks that was able to make this woe work for me like that.. That is really the only message i was putting out there so please please dont any one take what i said in offence.. And Steph.. Please do try to be more paitent with your self as you jouney... weight loss is hard.. but giving up is easy.. So hang in there.. find what works better for you.. love and respect to all who share here.. Kimberly~
Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
A true stall is no weight OR inches lost for something like 3 weeks. If you lost an inch, you aren't stalled.

I was thinking of fat and water and such the other day while helping one of my kids with their science. Yam-Yam (I think) posted something about water filling fat cells in a just in case maneuver--jic it was needed soon, your body kept that fat cell available by putting water in it when it burned the fat. Well, water is denser than oil (oil floats on water). So, if my thinking on this is correct, that means the same mass is going to take up less space. I think this can explain why the scale doesn't move, but the tape measure does. There is an equal amount of WEIGHT in water in the fat cell, but it doesn't need as much room.

It makes sense that this happens around set points. Your body KNOWS this weight, it's been lower, it's been higher, but it remembers that it usually ends up around here. So it's keeping the fat cells open for business jic. And in the past it was right, they were needed again because you got frustrated and gave up. Set points are awful, miserable, frustrating. But you have to outlast your body to convince it that THIS TIME, those cells are not going to be needed. And then the water will be released, and the scale will move. You might focus on some water releasing foods/drinks, back off on sodium and for sure keep up your hydration. Maybe even go low carb for a short while (or lower anyway).

I still think you are doing fabulous, and when you get past this point, I fully believe your rate of loss will pick up again.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I find JUDDD to be inconsistently consistent. I really only lose 2 weeks a month but boy does JUDDD pay well when it pays out and I lose on average about 8 lbs a month so remember that the individual scale number doesn't tell the whole story, that inch is much more telling. Also if you were losing and you lowered your calories down, I would raise them back up a little and see what happens. The last point is when I seem to be stalling for a bit, I do usually hit a week of really low carb and the weight flies off. The great part is unlike atkins, when I begin to eat carbs again, it doesn't fly back on. Wonderful thing that

Oh and I had a setpoint at 184 I didn't think I would EVER get past it, but as you can see from my stats, I did. Now, I'm really glad I didn't quit.

Last edited by brewstate; 09-20-2012 at 12:11 PM..
brewstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
I agree Elise!

I am sorry that the scale is not co-operating Steph! I know for me that this way of eating has led me to be smaller at a higher weight. I can wear clothing comfortably at my current weight that I couldn't even fit into unless I was at least 5 pounds smaller before. My guess is that JUDDD causes me to have a higher percentage of muscle and lower body fat. I mention this as I think that maybe your body composition is improving if you have a smaller waist measurement at the same weight. Congratulations on the inch smaller waist! I do hope that the weight drops on the scale this next week as I understand that this is also important.
It does sound like everything else is going well with how this WOEing fits into your life. I am hopeful that this next week will be a good scale success week so that you feel less frustrated and I can use the "jump for joy" happy face again!

Last edited by Babsbabs; 09-20-2012 at 12:38 PM..
Babsbabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Steph

I'm so sorry you're feeling so frustrated. But I am really glad you will have at least 3 more months before making any final decisions about WLS. In that 3 months, you could lose a significant amount! And all while enjoying your normal, traditional holiday treats on your UDs.

I just have this feeling that once you get past this set point weight, you're going to have some really steady losses. And yes, that inch is significant! I read just today but can't remember where (sorry to whoever posted this if you are the one!) that even when we measure, we may not be measuring exactly where our body released the latest batch of fat. So you could be losing inches and not even know it. It may be in some out of the way spot (like your back, or wrists, or around your collarbone) that you would never measure.

Stick with us Steph! Take a deep breath and just try to trust JUDDD for awhile longer. We need you here, Steph. Your posts are always so great, and you've made great progress.
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fitmom
Stats: 147/139/127
Start Date: September 2012
I believe you are right Babs. When we restrict calories we not only lose fat but muscle tissue aswell. In his book Dr Johnson states that alternate day fasting preserves and increases muscle tissue and stimulates fat metabolism. Having more muscle will lead to heavier weight, but trimmer measurements and hight metabolism I would rather be healthy and leaner than just have low numbers on the scale...
Also read page 242 Q's and A's ...
Now it makes sense to me why my pant are WAY too big but the scale is stuck...
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Recently I saw your stats had not changed and I felt sad.

Throughout this journey, I have regularly lost inches but no weight for three weeks or a month. I remember laughing about, how can I have lost eleven inches and not an ounce? Then, one day, those naughty little fat cells would all release water at once. And I saw some very satisfying whooshes.

Decide what you feel is best for you. But don't give up - for some of us, alternating days cause some unexpected results. If you are losing inches, the weight will follow.

Oh, and I know just what you mean about, "Thank goodness tomorrow is DD." Life has made me decide to eat other patterns recently. Good, great tasting food in wonderful company is so much more fun when followed by a day off from eating.

Oh, oh, and my rule of thumb for lowering calories is: no weight lost, no inches lost, and I know I kept strictly to rotations for a month. I have only had to reduce calories once. About five pounds ago. For 32 pounds, the DD/UD calories I started with took me down at an irregular but very satisfying rate.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 09-20-2012 at 04:57 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Steph, your insights are great. Thank you for being so outspoken about your journey. Don't have experience to share but learn so much each time you start asking questions. I can imagine your frustration facing down the same number again. Good grief, I am already a little frustrated as wl has slowed down after the first two weeks and I'm not even all the way through week three! Learning from you to take a deep breath and think of the good things. You are inspiring. Please don't give up. I just have faith that this will work for you before you need to consider WLS.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Steph,

Hang in there! I'm typing on my IPad so this will be brief, but I totally recommend looking a 2 or 3 months worth of the daily weigher's thread. Pick like 3 people and follow their patterns over a couple months. I can speak for myself and say that most of my weight loss happens during only 2 weeks out of the month and the other 2 weeks basically look like I'm maintaining, but I am definitely reshaping even when losses stop or slow. TOM is a big part of this, but some is just the healing and fat/ water issues working themselves out. When my losses slow I say "I'll get frustrated tomorrow... " before I know it the weight starts sliding down.

You have done so well- look back at your posts from the first month... It just keeps getting better so I hope you will give time time.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I really want to say something totally brilliant and useful-- but I think it's been said (like, you lost an inch, and you're not stalled, and don't go being nutty, etc...), and I am certainly far from being a JUDDD role-model ...

I can relate to what you're saying. I'm pretty sure I posted some total freak-outs (I can think of 1 or 2) and I know Dawn and Kimberly, Tina, Nancy, Cindy, and *many* others came along and talked me down.

I can tell you what I'm thinking about your experience (and my own-- I started the year around where you are now).

I know you want this weight off. Now. nownownownow NOW.

I don't think anything, short of WLS, will do that, and WLS comes with a BUCKET of it's own ups and downs.

It may be trite, but how long did it take to get to where you are (high weight) and stay there? How many times have you hit the set-point of 270? (one of mine's 240, btw, which is about where I am, give or take 5+ from traveling).

I *believe* there's a theory that the more times you get to that set point and let it beat you, the harder it will be next time. This is a marathon-- you have the rest of your life to be at the weight you want to get to (and as Leo41 says-- it will take ETERNAL VIGILANCE to maintain, but it's the price we will pay). I have to wrap my head around that one, but there it is...

So, please, my virtual friend-- be KIND to yourself.
REVEL in the positive things you are discovering.
REJOICE in the inches, renewed energy, new foods, cleaner fridge, smaller clothes.
FOCUS on doing the right thing (for you), not the fast thing.

Back to me I've lost about 30lbs this year (but more like 45 if you count the weight I've lost 2-3x due to travel gains/losses/gains/losses).

I've wrapped my head around the following facts in my life:

1) I'm almost 40. My body is doing some REALLY WEIRD stuff. I probably have 2 good weeks for weight loss per month (as Elise said above).
2) DDs are harder for me in PMS and PPMS... oddly, the get better for me in TOM (but that's a whole 'nother story ). So, I eat more, sometimes 600-700 for the day on a DD when I'm hungry.
3) Sometimes, I don't count on my UDs if things are very busy. Is that the misplaced confidence you mention? Maybe. But it's one day, out of the thousand I'm going to spend doing this, b/c I firmly believe what I (think I) read in Dr J's book-- most everyone needs to restrict something-- fat, carbs, calories-- pick your thing.

4) and this is my big one-- I'm probably not going to lose anything (except travel weight) between now and NYD.
I've got work travel, personal travel, 3 birthdays, maybe another work trip in Dec, and then the holidays. I'm not giving up, I'm going to do the rotations I can, sprinkled with MD, UUADs, vacation days... and basically tred water, and CELEBRATE the weight I lost this year. I lost 30lbs this year and kept it off.
Yes, mathematically, it's like 2.5lbs a month for 12 months... but hey, math wasn't my strong suit

Rambling

Summary-- please be kinder to yourself, it's not a race, and I bet, like someone trying to get pregnant nownownow, when you don't focus on it (I don't mean don't do the rotations, I mean, don't pressure yourself to be losing maximally every day/week/minute), you will sail past 270 and away you go.

Steph. I really get where you're coming from, and I appreciate your ability to come here and share and clearly articulate your thoughts (I know, it's what you do, but it's still appreciated).
Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Beautiful Soren! Thank you.

And thank you Steph for eliciting all this great advice. I hope you're feeling more hopeful now.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
I hope you stick it out. I have been ready to throw in the towel many times and though I still have a lot of weight to lose, I lose frustratingly, agonizingly, maddeningly slowly. In fact I JUDDDed for all of July and gained a pound!!! BUT for some reason the scale has been kind to me in September and I am fitting into new clothes and people are noticing the weight loss. If I had quit (or my JUDDD budds had not talked me off the ledge!) I would not be where I am today. Let us talk you off that ledge. You will be happy for it in a month or two!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
A true stall is no weight OR inches lost for something like 3 weeks. If you lost an inch, you aren't stalled.

I was thinking of fat and water and such the other day while helping one of my kids with their science. Yam-Yam (I think) posted something about water filling fat cells in a just in case maneuver--jic it was needed soon, your body kept that fat cell available by putting water in it when it burned the fat. Well, water is denser than oil (oil floats on water). So, if my thinking on this is correct, that means the same mass is going to take up less space. I think this can explain why the scale doesn't move, but the tape measure does. There is an equal amount of WEIGHT in water in the fat cell, but it doesn't need as much room.

It makes sense that this happens around set points. Your body KNOWS this weight, it's been lower, it's been higher, but it remembers that it usually ends up around here. So it's keeping the fat cells open for business jic. And in the past it was right, they were needed again because you got frustrated and gave up. Set points are awful, miserable, frustrating. But you have to outlast your body to convince it that THIS TIME, those cells are not going to be needed. And then the water will be released, and the scale will move. You might focus on some water releasing foods/drinks, back off on sodium and for sure keep up your hydration. Maybe even go low carb for a short while (or lower anyway).

I still think you are doing fabulous, and when you get past this point, I fully believe your rate of loss will pick up again.
Tina said exactly what I think is happening! I hate setpoints and I believe I have several and my body does remember every single one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
I find JUDDD to be inconsistently consistent. I really only lose 2 weeks a month but boy does JUDDD pay well when it pays out and I lose on average about 8 lbs a month so remember that the individual scale number doesn't tell the whole story, that inch is much more telling. Also if you were losing and you lowered your calories down, I would raise them back up a little and see what happens. The last point is when I seem to be stalling for a bit, I do usually hit a week of really low carb and the weight flies off. The great part is unlike atkins, when I begin to eat carbs again, it doesn't fly back on. Wonderful thing that

Oh and I had a setpoint at 184 I didn't think I would EVER get past it, but as you can see from my stats, I did. Now, I'm really glad I didn't quit.
Love this as well! Elise brings up something that I am just now discovering. I stall or stop losing every single month and sometimes it is for 3 weeks. I can't let this stop me now. I just can't! It is very bothersome, but in the same token, what else will I do?!?! I can't think of another program that honestly fits so well in my lifestyle.

Much love to you Steph for bringing us your words of wisdom on this journey!
JUDDD is a journey for me and I wish so much that I had kept a better journal of this plan. I must begin journalling the JUDDD trip and see what I learn from myself, because I have learned so much from coming here to our fantastic forum and rallying behind each one of my JUDDD budds.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Absolutely true. I'm not sure why my brain can't wrap my head around this idea. Why am I so tyrannized by the scale?

Quote:
It makes sense that this happens around set points. Your body KNOWS this weight, it's been lower, it's been higher, but it remembers that it usually ends up around here. So it's keeping the fat cells open for business jic. And in the past it was right, they were needed again because you got frustrated and gave up. Set points are awful, miserable, frustrating. But you have to outlast your body to convince it that THIS TIME, those cells are not going to be needed.
Just the pep talk I needed!

I think you're fabulous too.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I just wanted to put out there for all of those who read what i wrote..
I am NOT trying to tell any one that it is the way you have to do it.. I just want anyone else who trys and struggles with it, to not be afraid to adjust "what" they are eating as a way to make it work perhaps for them.. I know theres alot of you who can eat EVERYTHING!!! But i am not one of those lucky folks that was able to make this woe work for me like that.. That is really the only message i was putting out there so please please dont any one take what i said in offence..
Kimberly! Please don't stress about this. I know you're only trying to help me. And I'm keeping everything you've said in mind. You could be off somewhere right now enjoying your new skinny self but you take the time to give of yourself on this board and I appreciate it!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post

This is all really good to keep in mind. This coming week is atrocious for me in terms of social obligations. I am not in charge of the food available to me for 5 out of seven days. However, I'm in charge of what goes in my mouth, so I will do my best. Now, on other plans, "Doing my best" never amounted to a hill of beans. But on JUDDD it, if nothing else, holds the line. And that's huge.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
I agree Elise!

I am sorry that the scale is not co-operating Steph! I know for me that this way of eating has led me to be smaller at a higher weight. I can wear clothing comfortably at my current weight that I couldn't even fit into unless I was at least 5 pounds smaller before. My guess is that JUDDD causes me to have a higher percentage of muscle and lower body fat. I mention this as I think that maybe your body composition is improving if you have a smaller waist measurement at the same weight. Congratulations on the inch smaller waist! I do hope that the weight drops on the scale this next week as I understand that this is also important.
It does sound like everything else is going well with how this WOEing fits into your life. I am hopeful that this next week will be a good scale success week so that you feel less frustrated and I can use the "jump for joy" happy face again!
It is going well for me. I have a much better perspective today and am kind of embarrassed at my grumpiness yesterday.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Regarding WLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Steph

I'm so sorry you're feeling so frustrated. But I am really glad you will have at least 3 more months before making any final decisions about WLS. In that 3 months, you could lose a significant amount! And all while enjoying your normal, traditional holiday treats on your UDs.
Some kind soul from this board contacted me, and reminded me that there are many people who get WLS and then lose just as slowly, if not more slowly, than I am doing on JUDDD. She asked, "So, how will you feel if you do something that you feel may be drastic and dangerous for you and then don't lose any faster than you're doing now?"

Talk about an eye-opening question!