Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Oh, oh, and my rule of thumb for lowering calories is: no weight lost, no inches lost, and I know I kept strictly to rotations for a month. I have only had to reduce calories once. About five pounds ago. For 32 pounds, the DD/UD calories I started with took me down at an irregular but very satisfying rate.
Super good to know! Thank you. I am going to use this as my guideline.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
I really want to say something totally brilliant and useful-- but I think it's been said (like, you lost an inch, and you're not stalled, and don't go being nutty, etc...),
But it's true! The only thing I can say in my defense is that it's the set point. I think if I had stalled at 265, or some other number, I wouldn't have gone into panic mode. But of course, it's this accursed number so every past failure is coming up in my face like an apparition. But this time I have to beat it.

Quote:
So, please, my virtual friend-- be KIND to yourself.
REVEL in the positive things you are discovering.
REJOICE in the inches, renewed energy, new foods, cleaner fridge, smaller clothes.
FOCUS on doing the right thing (for you), not the fast thing.
You've got me welling up over here....

Quote:
3) Sometimes, I don't count on my UDs if things are very busy. Is that the misplaced confidence you mention? Maybe. But it's one day, out of the thousand I'm going to spend doing this[/I].
You know, this gets me thinking. I suppose one of the reasons that I have started to believe I have such a better chance on JUDDD than any other plan is because any diet that requires perfect adherence in an imperfect world is going to fail. At least, i'm going to fail at it. A plan that attacks the big picture instead of focusing on the small picture has more potential for success, IMO.

Quote:
4) and this is my big one-- I'm probably not going to lose anything (except travel weight) between now and NYD.
I've got work travel, personal travel, 3 birthdays, maybe another work trip in Dec, and then the holidays. I'm not giving up, I'm going to do the rotations I can, sprinkled with MD, UUADs, vacation days... and basically tred water, and CELEBRATE the weight I lost this year. I lost 30lbs this year and kept it off.
Well, I don't know what your dieting past looks like. But I know what mine looks like. And there has never been a year of my life where I have been able to maintain any sort of weight loss over the holidays. So if that's "all" you manage to do, that still looks pretty heroic to me!

Thank you for the love. Right back atcha.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Thank you Steph. You are pretty fabulous too.

I have a friend in a homeschooling group I've been part of for 10 years or so who had wls a couple years ago. She is struggling mightily with health issues--mainly iron related. She needs regular (as in every 6 mos or so) transfusions to be able to function. The worst part? She lost pretty slowly and has regained most of what she lost. Another friend on the same board had the lap band (so did her dh) and they are both doing really well. She's at about 194 pounds lost (she was close to 400 pounds at the time of surgery).

I think you're going to not need the wls, but if you do end up going that way, please be vigilant in research and pay attention to all the downsides.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/173/120
WOE: JUDDD
One more thing...

I wanted to add to what everyone else has said here - what's the rush?

If it is (as it was for me) because being significantly overweight is dangerous and the sooner we get out of that territory the better, then what happened for me might give you some peace of mind: the health benefits of this WOE showed up WAY before (very much) weight loss did.

I wasn't using JUDDD, I was using low carb - but there are many parallels, I think. The same thing that gives you alarming blood work, that gives you metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and lots of body weight - these things are solved from the inside out with either WOE long before all the extra fat has been liberated.

After a year of fixing my broken dietary habits, my blood work was perfect. Better than perfect. My cardiac risk, based on lipid profile, was flagged as "low" (because big Pharma is never happy about losing a customer, I guess ).

I'd only lost 30 pounds by then, but apparently my arteries had lost their inflammation and my cells had lost their insulin resistance. At that point, though my knees were still not happy, I felt safer somehow - like I'd bought myself the time to figure things out.

I'll bet your blood work has taken some dramatic turns for the better in the last two months, too.

Lynne

P.S. Commenting on the cheesecake episode, also filed under "no way!": I am (even as we speak) peacefully cohabitating with a tin of Valrhona tasting squares, which are resting unmolested in the pantry. It's UD, and I could have a square, but I just don't want one right now. Yesterday (DD) they didn't even exist. Historically, this is impossible. The person I know as "Lynne" would never put down a tin of Valrhona under any circumstance, let alone "not want one right now". Are you kidding? They'd be gone within an hour, tops.

500/2000 until the end of the challenge with NO TWEAKS.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Well, I don't know what your dieting past looks like. But I know what mine looks like. And there has never been a year of my life where I have been able to maintain any sort of weight loss over the holidays. So if that's "all" you manage to do, that still looks pretty heroic to me!

Thank you for the love. Right back atcha.
Mutual society here!

Funny, but with JUDDD, I have full confidence that I can eat what I want (every OTHER day) over the holidays, maintain where I'm at, and get back to WLM in January.

Like, not a doubt in my mind.

I even invited people over for Thanksgiving, i.e. assuring that I'll wind up making the whole kit-and-kaboodle (I was going to post my menu here, but I'll do that elsewhere).

How funny is that? #lovejuddd
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Hi Steph! Just wanted to echo Carly and others who have said that not losing for a couple weeks on JUDDD seems to be kind of typical. I just had that happen this month (I think I started about a week before you) and it is REALLY annoying to feel like you're slowing down for no reason, but the pants were looser during that time and then I had a little whoosh. I see it happen on the daily weights thread all the time ... see what happens in the next week or two?

Also, I want to lose fast too! But we also want to not quit and regain right? I don't know about you, but to me that seems much more likely on JUDDD than any other plan I know.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Well, well, well Steph.

I think you now know, if you were ever in doubt, just how much your posts, and your presence are appreciated.

It is as if the fear of losing you has brought out everyone's strengths for you to share and learn from.

I adore all the wonderful JUDDD BUDDs who come here to calm and nurture us when we wobble.

So thank you Steph for giving them the opportunity to communicate all their knowledge. It helps every one of us.

Hope you are feeling good now.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote