Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
What JUDDD has taught me

After nine months of JUDDD, and very close to goal, I was just thinking....

Because I do not have blood glucose issues, if a crisis interrupts my life so I cannot eat (DD or UD), hunger really is not an emergency.

However, my personal bod does not take kindly to thirst. I get shaky and brain-fog rolls in quickly if I do not stay hydrated. So, I carry a water bottle everywhere I go.

If I find myself craving sweets:
1) in a crisis, then that is my past talking to me. It is begging for the comfort of a sugar rush...which I now know never truly made anything better...which no longer happens since JUDDD magic took over.
2) not in a crisis, then screaming for sweets is my body's way of telling me I need protein and a bit of fat. Two small bites of baked chicken and the chocolate cravings vanish.

If I find myself craving 'white' carbs, any carbs will do. On DD, when I crave bread or chips, it is better for me to eat spinach leaves out of the bag (like chips) and let the starch craving die a nature death.

For me, broth rocks. If I drink 30 calories of some kind of broth before I eat a meal, my appetite really is reduced.

This was a complete surprise to me: I don't need volume, I need flavor and texture. Two or three small plates or appetizers of radically different foods leave me as full and more satisfied than a huge plate of steak and potatoes.

Although the planned daily calories remain the same, I feel better and have more energy if I periodically change the fat-protein-carb ratio I eat.

I rarely get hungry until I eat something solid. So most of my DD food is liquid or smoothied.

For me, changing my eating pattern a few times a week enhances weight loss. I usually do not get hungry until dinner time. But, at least twice a week (one DD and one UD) I move some of my cals to lunch. (I have never been, and never expect to be, a breakfast person.)

For me, changing my calorie pattern a few times a week enhances weight loss. At least once a week my DD is at 35%. At least once a week my UD is deliberately kept low. The high DD and the low UD never happen one after the other.

We are all unbelievably different. One-size-fits-all 'diets' are baloney.

HMMMM, that was lot of thinking. Sorry for the brain-dump.

Your turn........
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 09-14-2012 at 03:53 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Smi1es
Stats: GW 145
WOE: A little of everything
Start Date: January 1st, 2014
Awesome thoughts!!!

I agree that we are all different and what works for one may not work for another. But I love hearing about others tweeks that are working. It gives me ideas to try if I want to change things up a little.

And congrats on your success!!!!
Smi1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Know I will be coming back to this. Thanks for sharing all those good thoughts.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/212/180
Good stuff there! I can't wait until I get to the point where I can safety satisfy a chocolate or white carb craving.

One thing I *did* learn so far though, was to embrace the stomach growl! In the past, I thought I was going to faint dead away if had the growlies. Now I kinda like them, especially on down days where I test ways to tame them with as little food as possible.
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Love this post Nancy!
I especially like the "chip craving" replaced with spinach. I have been doing something similar with turkey pepperoni or zucchini chips.

I will be back when I have time to write more on what I am learning!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Nancy, thanks very much for this. I've been waiting for it!

Your observations are beautifully objective and precise.
And although you are SOOOOO bang on when you say this is different for each of us, it's really helpful when an experienced voice throws her evidence into this pool. It gives me the opportunity to reassess my own approach and hone it a bit.

I'm always hoping, too, that it'll give 'Nilla and Melisa (and whoever else is at a frustrated point) some new hope, and new inspiration. I SO want us all to do magnificently with Juddd.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Nancy, thank you for sharing. Being able to control and maintain like you would be an ultimate goal of mine. Well done on your success.
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Nancy.

Thanks for such useful knowledge. (And well done you!)
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee55
Stats: 198/194.4/160
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: September 1, 2012
Thank you for sharing. Being a newbie, I'm interested in others experience and success. Changing eating and calorie patterns is something I will keep in mind for when things begin to slow.
Lee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Thanks for this, Nancy. Certainly some points to consider!

I'm amazed at how good raw veggies taste to me. Sometimes I use a dip or salad dressing and sometimes just plain. Really helps me through a DD.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
VERY interesting thoughts, Nancy. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm especially interested in your change-up in calories as life brings you changes and it's sometimes necessary to adjust. I have a get-together with friends in early October and initially I was thinking I'd never make it thru this down-day until we met for dinner. Now I know it's no biggie.

I've been surprised at how much food I can eat for my DD 475 cals. Many thanks to those on this board who have shared their knowledge. My hint for myself - I bought a few very attractive, very small plates and dug out my dessert forks and espresso spoons for eating. This way I'm sure to make my meal last over 20 minutes so I get that "full" signal. I even do this with my massive serving of cabbage slaw with seasoned ground turkey...dole it out over 2 hours.

For that sweet treat, I do sometimes let myself have a cup of decaf, black, with a chocolate truffle. I have a number of simple recipes that I make up, pour into a brownie pan lined with Saran and when chilled cut into 80 or 100 pieces. So they end up being 35 cals or so. I can nibble away on that and be very happy and feel very decadent.

Not long ago a friend who had long-ago learned to be satisfied with one bite of a treat told me my tiny truffles were 3 or 4 bites of bliss. At the time I couldn't comprehend it, and now I get it.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: 260-181.4-/-170-5'5/51
WOE: Grain/ Sugar free and 4:3
Awesome post Nancy! Thanks for sharing!
Erika1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE=Zib;15946361Not long ago a friend who had long-ago learned to be satisfied with one bite of a treat told me my tiny truffles were 3 or 4 bites of bliss. At the time I couldn't comprehend it, and now I get it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, so true!

Yep, no doubt about it...we were born to be hedonists, living for pleasure, one tiny melting truffle bite at a time.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 09-15-2012 at 04:28 PM..
Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Zib!

For that sweet treat, I do sometimes let myself have a cup of decaf, black, with a chocolate truffle. I have a number of simple recipes that I make up, pour into a brownie pan lined with Saran and when chilled cut into 80 or 100 pieces. So they end up being 35 cals or so. I can nibble away on that and be very happy and feel very decadent.

Please share the recipes Sounds like a winner!

Last edited by leonak; 09-15-2012 at 04:48 PM..
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #15
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Sure!

As I said above, I don't roll into balls. I line an 8x8 brownie pan or other with Saran, pour in the ganache, set in freezer to chill, then using the Saran I can pop the piece out onto a cutting board. I usually cut it into quarters and return the other 3 quarters to the freezer to keep chilled while I cut up the one section into 20 or 25 pieces. You can toss any of them in a bit of cocoa or cocoa sweetened with powdered sugar or sweetener.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whipped Ganache Truffles

Recipe By :Thomas Keller
Serving Size : 100 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chocolate

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 pounds milk chocolate
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup half and half
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Melt chocolate in double boiler over simmering water. When melted, beat until smooth. Meanwhile, combine cream and half and half and heat to scalding. Remove from heat and cool to 130 degrees F. Add warm cream to melted chocolate all at once. Beat until smooth and well blended. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cover and chill in refrigerator until hard. When cool, beat with an electric mixture until light and rather fluffy. Cooll in refrigerator until firm.

Roll 1 teaspoon into a ball and then roll immediately into one of the coatings.

Coating Options: Chocolate or white confectioners coating, melted. Chocolate Shot. Combination of cocoa powder and powdered sugar.

Source:
"Ad Hoc"
Yield:
"2 pounds"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 41 Calories; 3g Fat (56.3% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 7mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Chocolate Apricot Jam Truffles

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 80 Preparation Time :0:00

12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
7 ounces apricot jam
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract -- optional

Chop chocolate in food processor or by hand. Heat the cream, stir in the jam and vanilla. Heat again for a few seconds. Pour this over the chopped chocolate and let set 30-60 seconds. Stir, stir, stir / whisk, whisk, whisk to melt the chocolate. If need be you can put in micro on 40% for 10 or 20 seconds to complete the melting. Take care not to heat too much or too long.

Pour into 8x8 brownie pan lined wtih Saran. Set in freezer or fridge.

Chill thoroughly. Cut into quarters and then each quarter into 20 or 25 pieces. Toss in cocoa if desired. Keeps in freezer for ages.

Can use other jams, like cherry or berry, or sugar free.

Yield:
"80 pieces"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 33 Calories; 3g Fat (66.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 2mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #17
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

I love port. I'm thinking these might be good with a Cabernet as well as I saw a chocolate/Cabernet sauce at a winery not long ago. I'm thinking I might cook down the Cabernet a bit. Not sure and still thinking on it.

Chocolate-Port Wine Truffles

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 80 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chocolate Desserts

12 ounces bittersweet chocolate -- chopped
1 cup heavy cream
6 tablespoons ruby port
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-style cocoa

Combine the chocolate and the cream in a heavy saucepan and place over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted.

Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl. Stir in the port. Pour mixture into 8x8 inch brownie pan, lined with plastic wrap. Refrigerate or freeze until the mixture is firm, two hours or longer.

Pop out truffle square and cut into quarters. Cut each quarter into 20 or 25 pieces.

Put the cocoa powder in a small container with a lid. Drop the truffle pieces into container. Every 10 pieces or so, cover the container, shake it up, remove truffles to a container for keeping.

YIELD About 80 small truffles

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 35 Calories; 4g Fat (77.4% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 2mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Speechless.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When I started JUDDD, I went through a Port/Dark Chocolate truffle making phase. Life has been busy the last few months, no time to cook much. Golly, I was popular back then back in those days.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
Sure!

As I said above, I don't roll into balls. I line an 8x8 brownie pan or other with Saran, pour in the ganache, set in freezer to chill, then using the Saran I can pop the piece out onto a cutting board. I usually cut it into quarters and return the other 3 quarters to the freezer to keep chilled while I cut up the one section into 20 or 25 pieces. You can toss any of them in a bit of cocoa or cocoa sweetened with powdered sugar or sweetener.

Whipped Ganache Truffles

Recipe By :Thomas Keller
Serving Size : 100 Preparation Time :0:00

1 1/2 pounds milk chocolate
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup half and half
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Melt chocolate in double boiler over simmering water. When melted, beat until smooth. Meanwhile, combine cream and half and half and heat to scalding. Remove from heat and cool to 130 degrees F. Add warm cream to melted chocolate all at once. Beat until smooth and well blended. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cover and chill in refrigerator until hard. When cool, beat with an electric mixture until light and rather fluffy. Cooll in refrigerator until firm.

Roll 1 teaspoon into a ball and then roll immediately into one of the coatings.

Coating Options: Chocolate or white confectioners coating, melted. Chocolate Shot. Combination of cocoa powder and powdered sugar.

Source:
"Ad Hoc"
Yield:
"2 pounds"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 41 Calories; 3g Fat (56.3% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 7mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Thanks so very much, they all sound super great too!
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Zib!!! I can't tell you how happy these recipes make me!

I just finished a 3 day UD marathon & I kept my gain to 2 lbs!!! First DD was Sunday and today, I am back down 2 lbs plus .6 lbs!

I decided to experiment with the ragin' Sirt-1 because I had 3 major celebrations and one was Thu, Fri & Sat. I didn't count calories because I ate at a few very nice restaurants that do not give calorie totals, but I feel very certain that Thurs, was about 500 calories over my 1600 cal UD! I ate Italian and enjoyed a couple of delish cocktails, plus the most extragavant, decadent chocolate mousse dessert piled high with whipped marshmallow creme & homemade graham cracker ...oh my, I haven't had so much deliciousness in a long while.

Friday ~ We had wings, chips w/ homemade queso and fresh guacomole. Sat~ Seafood fest~ Lobster & Grilled Shrimp w/ brocolli & baked potato, lots of butter. Have a feeling that Sat was also a super, duper high cal day!

This, my JUDDD budds, is why living the JUDDD way rewards us so generously! We can have a normal life as long as we go back to rotations!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 09-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Great thread! This all makes me happy in the midst of my travels. I have faith that enjoying vacations is not going to de-rail my plan in the long run. Just getting those really good DDs in keeps everything under control.

I'm saying this as I pack the suitcase for Hawaii and contemplate how in the world I'm going to have some Mai-Tai free DDs! Aloha!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
port truffles are replacing christmas fudge this year!

and excellent observations and experience Nancy
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Great thread! This all makes me happy in the midst of my travels. I have faith that enjoying vacations is not going to de-rail my plan in the long run. Just getting those really good DDs in keeps everything under control.

I'm saying this as I pack the suitcase for Hawaii and contemplate how in the world I'm going to have some Mai-Tai free DDs! Aloha!
Hawaii! I am so envious YamYam! You really mustn't worry and it is required that you enjoy yourself!
Now, you can do as you like... but if it were me, I would only have two DD! One flying in and one flying out!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Hawaii! I am so envious YamYam! You really mustn't worry and it is required that you enjoy yourself!
Now, you can do as you like... but if it were me, I would only have two DD! One flying in and one flying out!
I'm loving that idea!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
This thread is so inspirational and the recipes are exciting.
Thank you.
Marking my spot!
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Neat insights!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
JUDDD has taught me that a calorie is not a calorie. I react differently to fats, carbs, and proteins, in terms of hunger and mood. DDs make it come much more starkly clear.

I "can" eat an apple fritter on an UD (400 calories), but I still don't react well to that many carbs in one sitting (60).

I "can" fill out my UD calories by drinking beer or bourbon. But I almost NEVER lose weight in weeks when I've had much alcohol.

I "can" eat at 1 on DDs, and not again until I get home and have dinner. But I am so irritable and tired when I get home that my family always knows it's a DD. If I eat 100 extra calories after I get off the subway (20 minutes before I roll in the driveway), I'm MUCH more cheerful and ready to deal with family stuff. (I now understand why my parents always had a snack or a drink as soon as they came home)

Once in a while an extra 100-200 calories on a DD (going from 25% to 35%) is worth it for family harmony.

I cannot eat at DD calories when I have to spend the day with my in-laws. I get much too irritable and snarky. I get irritated with them when I'm well-fed, too, but I have much more "cope" than I have on DDs.

DDs are GREAT for my blood sugar. The only fasting blood sugars I've ever seen that are below 100 (normal is anything from 75 to 99) have been on mornings after DDs. The rest of the time, my FBS is 100 - 115 (pre-Diabetic).

Switching from higher carb days to lower carb days can really do a number on my hydration. Losing that carb-water can dehydrate me if I don't drink enough fluids. This is especially a problem because I'm prone to nasty calf/thigh cramps at night when I'm even slightly dehydrated. (carb-water is my term for the water that your body needs to maintain glycogen (carb energy) in your muscles. Each gram of glycogen in your muscles grabs two grams of water to store, too. When you go low-carb, you lose that glycogen, and the water that was stored with it. When you eat high carb again, you need extra water to pack in with the glycogen in the newly-refed-muscles)

It's much easier to do DDs, because of the inherent discipline and the limited food, than to deal with UD calories, because there are so many more options. It's very easy to "mess up" UD calories -- whether too many or too few.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
It's much easier to do DDs, because of the inherent discipline and the limited food, than to deal with UD calories, because there are so many more options. It's very easy to "mess up" UD calories -- whether too many or too few.
Pat
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote