Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
10 Weeks on JUDDD -- And I'm Feeling Fine

Today I weighed in at 270. For those counting, that's actually a 1 lb gain for me this week. My total is 15 lbs lost on JUDDD and 20 lbs total, averaging 1.5 lbs per week.

No one ever likes to gain weight--especially when following a diet to perfection, and especially not when it represents that number. You know the one. The number at which you always get stuck. For me, that number is 270. My nemesis. My evil nemesis.

I dipped below it last week and hoped never to see it again, but here I am. Staring it down. Wondering why I can't seem to defeat it. This is the point where, on all previous dieting efforts in my grown up life, I have broken. I have given up the diet or grown bored in frustration or simply not been able to handle the long plateau.

I don't feel like that's going to happen this time. Come tomorrow I'm going to have to change my rotation. I have an interview to do in NYC at the Harvard Club and I can't afford to be DD Spaced Out. I'm still considering how I should handle that. Perhaps today needs to be a medium day. Or perhaps I'm going to have two Up Days in a row. I am a perfectionist, so I don't like to change my rotations ever and especially not when I'm wrestling the alligator of 270. But I'm feeling ok about it. I'm feeling calm. I'm feeling resolved.

This is, in part, because I have kept a chart of my weight loss and I can see the patterns. Instead of dropping regularly on JUDDD, I tend to drop a bunch of pounds all at once. If my body is true to form, we're at the upper-most range of a hump and I will have a drop soon. So, I'm going to try to be steady.

Upsides

Better Down Days. My DDs were pretty easy this week. The hunger was manageable even when I attended a workshop this weekend. I got work, even writing work, done during them. I've settled into a pattern of meals, or a few meals, that work for me. I wouldn't say I looked forward to DDs, but there is no dread of them either.

Decreased Food Obsessions. When I first started this WOE, I had chocolate every up day. Then it was lox and bagels. Then it was hamburgers. These are things I craved and would eat over and over and over again. I didn't bust my calorie budget for the day with them, but I didn't discourage myself from doing something crazy like having a burger for breakfast, lunch and dinner, either. I just let myself do it. And in time, the power these foods had over me simply faded away and made room for veggies and other healthy foods. I still love chocolate and cheeseburgers, etc. But by letting JUDDD do its thing, my relationship to these foods has become, dare I say it, normal. I love this. And I'm not afraid anymore either. If I have a brownie obsession tomorrow, I'll let it run its course.

An Uncluttered Fridge. Before starting this WOE, my fridge was stuffed full of half-used condiment bottles, various nut milks, and exotic ingredients that I might have used for a recipe once, then could never think of another diet recipe into which I could incorporate it. Now, the culinary world is my oyster on Up Days and I have been taking full advantage of it. I use things up. I get creative. And my fridge is a pleasant place in which things are easily found.

Partnership. My real life romance hero, my white knight--who has very little to lose--has started doing a 5:2 program since watching the BBC special with me. He has dropped 5 lbs in 10 days. (It's ok. You can hate him.) It means that for two DD's a week, there's a camaraderie at dinner time.

The Pants Don't Lie. All this week, I would glance in a mirror and think I saw changes in my body. Given that the scale wasn't moving and the measuring tape showed no changes either, I thought I was delusional. But the other morning I went to get dressed and my pants almost fell off my body. I've worn these pants at this weight before, so I thought I could just cinch them with a belt, but no go. They looked like clown pants on me. They were unwearable. They were nice pants, too, but good riddance!

Appetite Control. It's one thing to have easier down days. It's another to have control in restaurants. I went to IHOP this weekend and had a Sunday brunch of 1/2 a fit and healthy omelette, 1/2 hash browns and 1--that's right, hear me--just 1 buttermilk pancake. And I was totally fine. That's a first. I thought for sure that the pancake would send me into a ravenous carb fest. But it just hit the spot and made me pleasantly aware that I might like another pancake some day.

Downsides

DD Space Out. Even though my DDs have improved by a factor of ten, I'm not at my best on a DD and that's why I have to change my rotation on Friday. I look forward to a time when I think, 'OMG, I need to switch tomorrow to a DD so I can be at my best!'

Injustice. I was so good this week, so perfect, and weight gain is my reward? I truly believe it's temporary, but it makes me seethe. Because of this, henceforth I'm going to consider taking an average of my weekly weight instead of the low point. What do you think? Or should I just learn to roll with the waves?

Sodium. It's in everything. It's unavoidable. Even on DDs. It causes me to bloat. It isn't healthy for me. And I'd like to tackle it, but I think it may actually be a much harder dragon to slay than overeating.

Last edited by stephdray; 09-13-2012 at 08:54 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/208/180
Love, love, love your updates!! Thank you sharing all that good stuff with us!

You know that song by Shakira, "Hips Don't Lie"? Maybe we should do a variation...."Pants don't Lie"

" Finished my down day tonight
The pants don't lie, I'm starting to do this right...
Got my up day comin' up and I'm droolin'
thank goodness for this JUDDD way of schoolin' "

Keep up the good work! It's inspiring.
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Wonderful, well thought out post, as usual.

Regarding taking the average as your weight: I do both. I have a spreadsheet where I log my daily weight, any gains or losses, and have highlighted the weekly weigh-in as well. I have a column for weight loss based on my average weight, and weight loss derived from taking the previous Monday's weight and subtracting the current Monday's weight. (I'm admittedly suffering from OCD)

This may sound like cheating, but I go with whichever one shows the greatest loss (or the least gain) and I feel fine with doing it that way, for my own record-keeping at least. My spreadsheet still shows both, but sometimes the average is better and sometimes the straight week to week number is better. I figure whatever keeps me happy and content with my WOE is the tool that I need to use to keep going. I hit 9 months on JUDDD yesterday, and have no desire to quit.

I also always change my stats to reflect my lowest weigh-in. Even if it bounces up the next day, I know that's only temporary. Again, mind games, but they help me out.

10/24/11 @ 277.6
January 2014 @ 145
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I remember a looooooong time ago, Yam-Yam said she always changed her stats to reflect her lowest weight. She said it did not matter how many times she bounced or how long it took her to drop below that weight, once she saw it she knew it was hers.

At that time I was posting my weekly average. I thought, how totally cool and how true. The next morning may begin a UUAD. I may bounce so far over the moon it will take me a month to reclaim it, but - by golly - once I see it, it is mine!

Stephanie, post whatever makes sense and feels right to you. Meaning, change your stats to 269 if you want. It appears it is going to take time to completely whittle it away, but you have seen it, it is yours, and you are going to see it vanish in your tail lights.

Totally with you on sodium. I am starting to experiment with making my own sauces just so I have control of the ingredients.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Love your posts! I do think that sometimes we lose weight and then stop for a bit but the inches come off then. I haven't really figured that one out yet. I have also stopped losing weight and noticed that my % of body fat is going down on my scale and the muscle mass is going up so maybe that has something to do with it.
Lunch in NYC sounds fantastic. I don't know if this is a good idea or not but I have had good luck with sticking to my DD and then having the lunch or dinner that I need/want to do and then fasting before and after. This usually works out to a maintanance day calorie allotment and then I just go on to another UD the next day. I did wait until I was really hungry on my UD to eat as I wanted to make sure my body had a good fast period to burn off as many cals as possible and I have only done it for meals I felt were important not to miss. I don't know if this is the right plan for your day but I am sure you will come up with a good way to work things out. You are doing great and I too am sorry the "number" showed up again. It will be gone again soon with your rotations and persistence I am sure.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Steph: I'm happy dancing about your clown pants! Yippeeeeeee!!!! I often say we have many nooks and crannies on our bodies where we don't measure with a tape. But these are the exact places where, when inches are lost, it makes our clothes fall off. Let's all raise our glasses to "pants on the ground for Steph"! CLINK!

On the sodium, P.J. recommended that I buy RealSalt (that's the brand) or Himilayan salt or some other natural salt (don't buy anything that is bright white in color). She recommended about 3 different kinds. I swear that since I've been using RealSalt (which is pink in color and already finely ground) I have not been retaining any fluid like I do with regular salty foods.

I started a thread about L-Carnitine a while back and it turned into more of a discussion about alkaline water and alkaline foods. You might want to take a look at it. And, if you are not doing it already, start squeezing lemon into your water throughout the day.

So, so glad about Nancy's post. I still subscribe to that theory about if I hit a new low I claim it as mine and change my stats.

Since I kept a chart since the beginning on JUDD, I was able to see that I have to hit that low again between 4 to 6 times before I drop to another new low.

Sometimes those 4 times come quickly, like every 2 or 3 days I'll hit it again. Sometimes it's a week before I see it again and then another 3 or 4 days till I hit it again. I have no idea why sometimes it takes longer.

However, the pattern on my chart shows consistently that I have to hit that new low after bouncing up and down for some time, at least 4 times before I drop below it.

Still, it's MINE. I saw it on the scale darn it and it's mine. And, I know that with JUDD rotations I will surely see it again and drop below it.

Right now I'm in a down-the-steps maintain, lose a tiny wee bit, maintain pattern. It's OK with me. I fully realize that after a significant loss the body is doing all kinds of interesting things. Maintaining my loss right now makes me happy and content. And, I'm not suffering. I don't want to suffer.

Especially with all my traveling right now, I want to be able to enjoy myself and have lots of energy.

It was great to pop in today and see your update. I love that you are settling in to this JUDD WOE and seeing benefits.

I do commiserate with you about the stupid set points. I hate them. I have had them. I hate them. Oh, did I tell you I hate set points? Just sayin'. Fingers crossed that yours won't last long.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Yam-Yam! I am glad you showed up!

I really was inspired when you said 'that weight is mine' such a long time ago. I was afraid you would be away living it up, and I wanted to share the inspiration.

Actually, since I adopted your method I have come to suspect there is excellent psychology behind it - when I tell the world (okay, our little JUDDD world) this weight is mine, I am also telling myself. Somehow, that makes the follow up bounces less painful....after all, they are just my body adjusting to my new weight.

You have said a lot of very wise things in these threads. THAT is in the top five!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Yam-Yam! I am glad you showed up!

I really was inspired when you said 'that weight is mine' such a long time ago. I was afraid you would be away living it up, and I wanted to share the inspiration.

Actually, since I adopted your method I have come to suspect there is excellent psychology behind it - when I tell the world (okay, our little JUDDD world) this weight is mine, I am also telling myself. Somehow, that makes the follow up bounces less painful....after all, they are just my body adjusting to my new weight.

You have said a lot of very wise things in these threads. THAT is in the top five!
Yes, I am away living it up! As usual! You are so right about the psychology behind claiming the low numbers. If I step on the scale after an UD and see the bounce up, I somehow don't believe it! In the back of my mind I see the lower number. I put the higher one on my graph, but my eyes go to that new low and I think it registers in my brain and keeps me JUDDing. It's the exact reverse of what I used to do to myself.

I used to be doing LC and then if I'd see a higher # I'd think Oh CARP! I knew that lower number was just a fluke. I may as well give up. Talk about bad psychology!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Yes, I am away living it up! As usual! You are so right about the psychology behind claiming the low numbers. If I step on the scale after an UD and see the bounce up, I somehow don't believe it! In the back of my mind I see the lower number. I put the higher one on my graph, but my eyes go to that new low and I think it registers in my brain and keeps me JUDDing. It's the exact reverse of what I used to do to myself.

I used to be doing LC and then if I'd see a higher # I'd think Oh CARP! I knew that lower number was just a fluke. I may as well give up. Talk about bad psychology!
Yep, I think this way too! Has my vote for top five!
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
This is, in part, because I have kept a chart of my weight loss and I can see the patterns. Instead of dropping regularly on JUDDD, I tend to drop a bunch of pounds all at once.
[ . . . snip . . .]
Given that the scale wasn't moving and the measuring tape showed no changes either, I thought I was delusional. But the other morning I went to get dressed and my pants almost fell off my body.
Steph, so glad you posted this! I am having the exact same week ... had a new low, then bounced up and around and not down for no reason. I've noticed, too, that for the last two months I've had one week when the scale does this even though I wasn't doing anything differently ... and then it will start moving again. I've been frustrated by the scale this past week, but my regular pants were feeling looser during this time, so I tried on the pants that I had an inch gap to be able to button the last time I tried them on a few weeks ago, and they zipped up easily!

I'm sorry about *the number* but I just know it will be gone soon.

I agree, salt is tough. On my food tracker I've noticed my sodium is higher than it should be, but on the other hand broths and things are so helpful on down days . . .

I agree with the philosophy that a new low is mine and it goes into my stats immediately.

Thanks for the great summary of your week.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I've been doing a weekly average for about a year.
It works really well for me.
Sometimes the losses don't look so amazing, even in weeks when I've had a whoosh,
but I feel it's a more "honest" number. And the bounces lose a lot of power when you divide them by 7!!!

YAY FOR THE CLOWN PANTS!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Oh, I just love this place!!!!..........enough said!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm like Yam Yam and Nancy. I saw it- I claim it!
I've had a week or 2 were the scale just stopped moving, but it was usually followed by a whoosh. KUTGW!!!! Enjoy your lunch in NYC!
And, yes- The pants don't lie!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Just love your posts, Steph, and like others here also claim the lowest weekly weight. The scales seem to give you a lot of anxiety and since you are so faithful to your plan, would you be able to stick to plan without looking at the scales for a given period of time? That bouncing is just a measure of what is passing through your body. I haven't heard of anyone gaining any solid weight if they stay on plan, and it might get you past THAT number into new numbers next time you look.

Have a great interview!

Last edited by cici52; 09-14-2012 at 05:33 AM..
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
Steph I think it would be fun to try to track the JUDDD pattern a little bit better. This is what I have discovered (YMMV of course)

1. I am in active active weight loss only 2 weeks out of the month the rest I maintain or gain a little. (My DH seems to do the same pattern but not the same 2 weeks)

2. During the 2 weeks time I'm not losing (and those 2 weeks aren't necessarily together) my clothes get tons and tons looser. The funny part I notice is when I am losing weight, they don't.

3. I find that I see a new low number once and then it flits away. It then takes about a week to get it back and to stay and then it drops lower and I don't ever see the original low number again. Its like my body is testing it out to see how it fits for me and then thinks about it a while but eventually gives in

4. DD's get infinitesimally easier as you go along. I'm on 3 months now and don't really even think about eating. In fact I usually just grab a grape or 2 several times during the day and then maybe a piece of laughing cow and some cucumber in the evening and that's it. So easy, and it wasn't always.

Interesting interesting stuff. I'm sure there is science linked to all of it and I would love to know how it worked but for now we can rely on observation.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Steph, beautiful report!
I agree with what someone's already said about salt. The good salt doesn't seem to have the same lousy effects that the crap industrial salts do. And the good ones are delicious. Like a brand new food group at our house.

About your spacy DD thing. I'll bet that will change, still. Partly with time and shifts in hormonal function as you drop weight, and maybe with a bit more discovery of what works perfectly on DDs. I spent months doing volume on DDs and felt clearheaded early in the day and pleasantly spacey from about 6pm on.

These days, a full strength bulletproof coffee allows me to work with focus until about 3 pm, and no evening whacked thing. Amazing.
I'm not recommending this, just suggesting that there are many solutions, and those solutions seem to change as we change week to week on JUDDD.

Thanks for being here. I'm so happy this is working for you.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Love your update as usual Steph, I really look forward to them and was cross I couldn't get on the net yesterday.

That vile number will soon be way behind you, just like the clown pants.

Enjoy your NY day.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
On the sodium, P.J. recommended that I buy RealSalt (that's the brand) or Himilayan salt or some other natural salt (don't buy anything that is bright white in color). She recommended about 3 different kinds. I swear that since I've been using RealSalt (which is pink in color and already finely ground) I have not been retaining any fluid like I do with regular salty foods.
Yay!!! I'm so glad to hear this!!!

PS--Celtic sea salt is another good one, and in my "Top 3".

Last edited by piratejenny; 09-14-2012 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I am thrilled to see how far you have come with JUDDD, Steph!!! You like it, you really do! White knight is in with IF!

I wish that I had kept this detailed of notes as I progressed! I do know that around week 8 through 10, is when the Sirt-1 took me to a new level of "I got this!" I really felt different! Moodwise and healthwise!

I also lose in clumps. I stall out for a week to 2 weeks, and it makes me nervous. Then magically it drops!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Thank each and every one of you

I want to apologize for not answering everybody in this thread individually. This week has been a bit of a difficult place for me mentally as I have loved ones overseas in dangerous places and the news has been hard to watch.

I'm about to make my 11 week update, too.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/208/180
Sounds like a pretty stressful time for you, Steph. Sending thoughts for the safety of your loved ones.
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
No pressure Steph-- hope your family is safe!
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Keeping you and yours in prayer.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote