Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121.4/120
WOE: my version of healthy diet mixed with JUDDD :)
Why do I mess up the UD?

Am I the only one who can control calories better on DD than UD? My UD today became UUAD (or whatever you call that up up and away day). I did eat enough protein but was still starving. After my dinner I have eaten about 600-800 extra calories (fruits, yogurt and honey) basically all the carbs.
I know my hormones are acting again (my cycles are messed up) but how is it that I can pretty much control my DD calories and not so much UD calories. I have re-started JUDD last week and did so well, only to blow it today

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
That's really common at first, and will hopefully settle down in time. Just do the rotations the best you can for a while, and I think it'll work out just fine, as long as you're trying your best not to go tooooo far over. Lots of JUDDDers still lose with UUADs here and there.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
UDs are harder for me than DDs. I've been doing JUDDD for 8 months and I still have some crazy UDs. Just keep your rotations and do your best like Dawn said
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aeroangie
Stats: 159/159/130 anything
WOE: Low Carb + JUDDD
Start Date: 8/24/2012
I think that hormones make everything completely WONKY!!! For example, why do I have dry skin and peeling skin and then get two big zits at my age (almost 50!) Hormones are what regulates hunger and it is for THAT reason I think Dr. J is wrong about carbohydrates. I DO believe they trigger hunger. Period. I DO believe Dr. Atkins was correct and that his research is valid. To turn off hunger, you have to dial down carbs...or at least that has been my experience!
Aeroangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 68KG/63.9/59
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
I think the DD's are more important than the UD. I have this problem and I am new. I think pschologically, I know I am fasting the next day so I just want to eat till I'm stuffed on an UD night. I am now watching my cal intake on UD till dinner (600-800) so I can go nuts at dinner (1000-1200) seems to help me stay in my range. If I'm really full at dinner, DD's are easier
SICCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
It's an adjustment ... complicated by hormones. Concentrate on clean DDs. They are releasing sirtuin enzymes/proteins/thingies. And, as the thingies build up, many of us find UDs easier to control.

Keep an eye out for your personal food triggers. Refined and sweet carbs can trigger hunger in many people, so keep an eagle eye on them. But watch everything, on a personal basis, the strangest foods can trigger hunger. I had to give up zucchini/squash for the first few months of JUDDDing. Now, they are NP but at first they were a guaranteed next day starvation.

And, of course, "I can eat it!" still does not mean "I should eat it." Since DDs are manageable, maybe you can give yourself a stronger structure: Plan your UD menus, and give yourself one UUAD each week? Postpone treats for an hour? Definitely, definitely count UD calories before you eat them...not after.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee55
Stats: 198/194.4/160
Start Date: September 1, 2012
I too find my UD more difficult than my DD. I made up a menu for both DD and UD, I'm trying to stick with that. I enjoy my DD's and don't find them too difficult. But my UD is sometimes out of control, that's why I'm sticking to a menu. I find the planning and making sure I have everything I need in the house so I don't go off track helps.
Lee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you so much budds. I am ready to have a great DD and move on.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroangie View Post
I think that hormones make everything completely WONKY!!! For example, why do I have dry skin and peeling skin and then get two big zits at my age (almost 50!) Hormones are what regulates hunger and it is for THAT reason I think Dr. J is wrong about carbohydrates. I DO believe they trigger hunger. Period. I DO believe Dr. Atkins was correct and that his research is valid. To turn off hunger, you have to dial down carbs...or at least that has been my experience!
I know in my case carbs are triggers. I was was sticking to 20 gr of carbs all day yeasterday but was just starving (maybe due to hormones, they are so messed up right now that I don't know where I am in my cycle). So in the evening I decided to have 1 nectarine and then I could not control myself. I know I should have had an egg or some meat but stupidly reached for the fruits. Other times of the month I can have occasional fuits but during PMS I just have to say no (which is not always easy). Fuits are triggers for my binging. I wish I did not have them at home (I just keep them for my DH).
Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICCHI View Post
I think the DD's are more important than the UD. I have this problem and I am new. I think pschologically, I know I am fasting the next day so I just want to eat till I'm stuffed on an UD night. I am now watching my cal intake on UD till dinner (600-800) so I can go nuts at dinner (1000-1200) seems to help me stay in my range. If I'm really full at dinner, DD's are easier
I think that's a great idea. Although I am usually light dinner person, during PMS the dynamics change. I will try your approach.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And yet fruits are soooo good. Hopefully, with time, they will stop being triggers.

Hormones can be a huge part of the problem. I am post-menopausal and find myself having monthly 'hungry' days
Old 09-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
That's really common at first, and will hopefully settle down in time. Just do the rotations the best you can for a while, and I think it'll work out just fine, as long as you're trying your best not to go tooooo far over. Lots of JUDDDers still lose with UUADs here and there.
Thanks- I will do my best and won't give up this time. I did JUDD back in March but gave up too soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
UDs are harder for me than DDs. I've been doing JUDDD for 8 months and I still have some crazy UDs. Just keep your rotations and do your best like Dawn said
Thanks, glad to hear that's normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
It's an adjustment ... complicated by hormones. Concentrate on clean DDs. They are releasing sirtuin enzymes/proteins/thingies. And, as the thingies build up, many of us find UDs easier to control.

Keep an eye out for your personal food triggers. Refined and sweet carbs can trigger hunger in many people, so keep an eagle eye on them. But watch everything, on a personal basis, the strangest foods can trigger hunger. I had to give up zucchini/squash for the first few months of JUDDDing. Now, they are NP but at first they were a guaranteed next day starvation.

And, of course, "I can eat it!" still does not mean "I should eat it." Since DDs are manageable, maybe you can give yourself a stronger structure: Plan your UD menus, and give yourself one UUAD each week? Postpone treats for an hour? Definitely, definitely count UD calories before you eat them...not after.
Thanks- thanks goodness DD are more important. You are so right about the trigger foods. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
And yet fruits are soooo good. Hopefully, with time, they will stop being triggers.

Hormones can be a huge part of the problem. I am post-menopausal and find myself having monthly 'hungry' days
Oh no- please don't tell me that you still have 'hungry' days
Old 09-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Over time my starving days have weakened from eat the pantry & fridge, to hungry, to peckish. They are nbd and totally ignorable. For me at least, JUDDD has been kind. (That first hungry DD was startling though - HUH???? I thought I was through with monthly anything!!)
Old 09-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #15
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
yes those first several UD's are a holdover from restricted diets "OMG I have to eat everything because tomorrow I can't!" - give it time and your head will get the message "I can't have it tomorrow, but I can have it the day after tomorrow" .
The all-or-nothing mentality does get better.
IMO it comes from (usually) years of "well I ate something I shouldn't have, might as well just blow out the whole day and start again tomorrow" attitude.
It gets better
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
yes those first several UD's are a holdover from restricted diets "OMG I have to eat everything because tomorrow I can't!" - give it time and your head will get the message "I can't have it tomorrow, but I can have it the day after tomorrow" .
The all-or-nothing mentality does get better.
IMO it comes from (usually) years of "well I ate something I shouldn't have, might as well just blow out the whole day and start again tomorrow" attitude.
It gets better
I think you are so right about "OMG I have to eat everything because tomorrow I can't!"
Old 09-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just stepped on the scale and ta..da.. I am down .6 of the pound and I was expecting a gain (at least a water gain from the carbs). I am feeling much better now and off to tackle my DD (I am definitely well fuelled)
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/211/180
Start Date: Restart 1-18-14
I've been having the same issue--DD's are so much easier for me to control than the UDs! Like others have said, it gets easier. Right now, it's not too easy but I'm not yet a month into this plan, so I have a lot of "training" to do with my emotional desire to eat anything and everything.

Keep on doing what you're doing! It works!
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I, also have trouble with overdoing it on UDs. On DDs, all I need is discipline, which I have.

On UDs, sometimes I start grazing and never end. And whenever "adult beverages" are involved, the day ALWAYS ends UUAA.

I do always write down all I eat, and sometimes it is not pretty. I can easily go up to 2500-3000 calories when I have alcohol.

Every time I have an UUAAD it shows on the scales right away, even though my DDs are ALWAYS under 400 and usually at my target, 341.

Right now I am struggling, and I am only around 10 pounds from goal. (I was 8 pounds away from goal at the beginning of the month....)

I don't really have many hungry DDs any more, or at least not "want to chew off my arm" days...

I am, though, mostly happy on this woe, and sometimes have to catch myself, like today, when the building management is having its annual bbq, and say, "HEY! It's an UD! and I can eat carbs!!

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child

Last edited by Scotty; 09-13-2012 at 07:49 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I have been doing JUDDD for over 8 months and DD's are still easy. UD's are hit or miss. I can do a good one and then the next one is skyhigh in calories but it takes about 3 days for the problem to show up on my scale. Today is an UD that I have vowed to control. I can't leave to go get anything to eat since my sec is out sick so I have to eat my DD lunch which I always have in the frig. Instead of just plain turkey and lettuce I get to add mayo and/or Ranch dressing. Maybe my mind will think it is a DD and leave it at that.

So in my opinion it DOES NOT get easier on UD's. It is too easy to rack those calories up for me. I am only 8 pounds from goal so the weightloss has slowed dramatically but it is still inching downward even with my out of control UD's at least once a week (or twice).

Hang in there and just do the best you can.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I think time is going to help here.

And also, keep in mind that it's all an average. If most of your Up Days are good and most of your Down Days are good, you're going to see progress.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I, also have trouble with overdoing it on UDs. On DDs, all I need is discipline, which I have.
Discipline is a key word here. I pretty much have it on DD, so it can be done. I am very disciplined person- I gave up grains, sugar and coffee 8 years ago. So why am I not using my discipline on UD when I am PMSing? Maybe I need start calling it Normal Day (ND) instead of UD. My mind think it is a up day- so let's have a party and use the hormones as an excuse. I know when I am not PMSing UD are easier.
I think a lot it is in the mind, although I know it is normal to get more hungry during PMS as the seratonin levels drop.
Yes, I am hungry but if I use my discipline and am really committed to getting to my goal weight, I have to say NO to myself. I know easier said then done, but it can be done. I am committing from now on to be stronger than my urges. I know it is not an easy road, but all have to travel it and make the best out of it. I will reach for more protein foods and maybe fat instead of carbs next time, as I know fruits are the my worst enemy during PMS.

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom. It really helps!!!

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 09-13-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Old 09-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
The key for me to keep UD's within a good range is keeping things low for Breakfast and Lunch. I try to always leave minimum of 900c for when I get home. That doesn't always happen and sometimes I do ok, sometimes not. Another key for me if dessert is involved is that it is single serving. Does that make sense? I can't have CAKE at the house, I will just eat it till I am sick. I will head to Orange leaf for Xoz of frozen yogurt, when it's gone, it's gone. Or I have ice cream bars so I can have 1 and walk away. Moderation is the KEY for me!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ourney-69.html
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/132/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Dukan now JUDDD
Start Date: August 27, 2012
This is me! I have been on JUDDD for two and a half weeks now and so far I have gone off the rails completely most UD's.

I am very good on a DD in fact I find it easier not to eat at all at the moment. I am thinking of doing another DD tomorrow because I had to do two UD yesterday and the day before because we were travelling ( I won't mention how UP they were ). Has anyone done two DD's in a row and if so what was your result?
WJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I've been on JUDDD about 2 months after doing LC for 18 months. I'm still fighting the carb monster on UD. And I can't even blame TOM. But even with some very exuberent UD I still lost about 4.5lbs the first month, which is about the same as I was losing on LC. And I don't even do super-low DD, mine are about 500-600 calories.
Don't panic, one UUAD isn't that big of a deal, we all do it once and awhile (some of us a lot )
Crazy Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WJS- from reading the board I have learned not to do 2 DD in the row. I think you body may think you are in starvation mode. I am sure more experinced JUDDer will chime in.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Crazy Cat- I had quite few UUAD when I first tried JUDD back in May I gave up because I could not take the guilt (maybe because I am perefectionist) so I went back to regular Atkins. This tme around I am alllowing myself higher DD calories, like you I do 500-600. I try to do about 480, but if I am truly hungry I eat up to 600. The thought alone gives me a piece of mind. I should probably give myself a persmission to go over a couple of hunders cal on UD, if I needed, but then I think when will I get to my goal weight? I am not too fat from it, so maybe I need to relax a little.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #29
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/132/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Dukan now JUDDD
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
WJS- from reading the board I have learned not to do 2 DD in the row. I think you body may think you are in starvation mode. I am sure more experinced JUDDer will chime in.
Tobelowcarber, this is what I thought as well but have read elsewhere that it may not be the case. I think we have to be on very low calories for more than two days before we go into starvation mode but would be interested to hear if this isn't so.

On another forum (below thread) there are quite a few giving it a go so will be interesting to see the results. Having said that I think all of them are somewhat newbies and are not like so many successful long timers on this forum so would be interested to see if someone that has been on JUDDD for a while and successful has experience or advice on two DD's in a row.

Crazy Cat, sadly I fall in the later category in fact not sure if I've had a moderate UD since I've been on JUDDD.

Double down day

Last edited by WJS; 09-13-2012 at 12:01 PM..
WJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I have about one UUAD per week where my cals go over on UD. It hasn't seemed to be much of a problem yet? I am agreeing with Nancy & Dottie about the cause of the problem.

The great thing about JUDDD is it is teaching us to reign in our issues that caused us to be overweight and that has been wonderful for me.
Let's see, I have been JUDDDing for 7 months and it is just now dawning on me that I truly don't snack anymore?!?! I used to eat mac nuts like I would never get another nut in the beginning stages and prior to JUDDDing.
Now, I don't have the urge to snack? If I fall short on calories, I will add the mac nut to my dinner or lunch.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 09-13-2012 at 12:10 PM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote