Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zumba89
Stats: 318
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 9/9/12
My first UD

Hey everyone

I'm new here and I don't do a LC lifestyle but I started JUDDD on Sunday. When one of my friend on another site told me about the up day down day I thought she was crazy. We both have binge eating issues and I knew when she told me " I eat 480 every other day" I knew she was nuts lol. After I thought about it forever I told myself " what the hell". Yesterday was my first UD at 2000 calories. I had to lower it by a lot because the Dr's site had me a 2716 UD and 543 DD. For now I'm trying 2000 up and 500 down. My first day wasn't bad I like the fact that I had 3 meal (from my 2 on leangains) and I was full by 8pm ( I stop eating for the night). I found it hard to plan out meals that are 2000 calories that are semi healthy but when I binge I can eat over 8000 calories without a problem

So all in all Sunday was a great start for me but today which is Monday is a DD and I plan to eat my 500 calories at dinner. It's 12:30 and I feel fine (for now). On the other site they say I should take it easy on the first 2 weeks. I plan not to workout on fast days just because when I workout I seem to binge right after. Working out makes me hungry and with working out on my UD I can eat after or before. Lastly, on my DD I fast for 23 hours.

Could anyone tell me if we have to fast 24 hour or is 23 ok?
Zumba89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Hi, and Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll get plenty of help from long-timers here, but here are my thoughts.

Without knowing your stats it is difficult to say whether your UD calories are too low. I'm guessing they might be.

Be careful choosing the Options at the calculator -- they flip back and forth easily:
Male OR Female • Inches OR Centimeters • Pounds OR Kilograms
AND then it is suggested (on this forum) to Choose "Little or No Exercise"

The resulting numbers are what you ought to start out with. If the that number is 2700, then starting at 2000 is not eating enough calories; you'll be in a sort of starvation mode and your body won't give up the weight it will slow your metabolism instead. If you eat too little, thinking you'll do better, you will probably be disappointed. You need to eat close to the UD calories, and restrict the DD calories as well. If there is not a large enough swing between UD and DD it won't work well.

For me this was a VERY scary thing to do -- to eat MORE rather than LESS. I was upping my calories by 1,000 on UD from what I normally ate. I actually said here, "If THAT works then it is MAGIC!" DD were scary too but I quickly found that living on 500 calories for one day is completely doable.

For the record, I have not been doing any additional exercise/workout, just eating JUDDD style.

Wishing you much JUDDD magic!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Welcome to JUDDD!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumba89 View Post
Yesterday was my first UD at 2000 calories. I had to lower it by a lot because the Dr's site had me a 2716 UD and 543 DD.
You do not have to lower it. You can lower it if you feel satiated on less. But the level of calories you're being given is to help preserve your metabolism. If this is the level of calories given to you by the calculator even if you put 'sedentary--doesn't exercise much,' then this calorie count is probably due to your having a lot of body mass. That means you've got a long way to go in restricting calories before you hit your goal weight, so livability and/or maintaining your ability to lose at higher calorie rates are special concerns for you.

Consequently, I might recommend following the plan as written for a few weeks before doing anything that causes extra difficulties like this:

Quote:
I found it hard to plan out meals that are 2000 calories that are semi healthy but when I binge I can eat over 8000 calories without a problem
My recommendation is to plan the DDs to the letter. Be more flexible with yourself on the Up Days because, especially at first, your body is in for a serious shock to the system. If you mean that you're having trouble figuring out how to meet 2,000 calories in a healthy way--check out nuts, avocados, cheeses, coconut oil, and dark chocolate.

Quote:
Could anyone tell me if we have to fast 24 hour or is 23 ok?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. JUDDD is about a semi-fasting state--achieving a calorie level so low that your body reacts in certain ways. B/c it's an alternate day kind of thing, a typical JUDDD fast actually runs closer to 36 hours.

Lots of folks have success doing other variations, such as the Fast Five method or Lean Gains or MUDDD, so you gotta decide which plan you're on before we can answer that question for you in a definitive way, but I would guess that the less definitive answer to your question is: Plenty of people lose weight on shorter fasts.

Last edited by stephdray; 09-10-2012 at 03:39 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
Hi, and Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll get plenty of help from long-timers here, but here are my thoughts.

Without knowing your stats it is difficult to say whether your UD calories are too low. I'm guessing they might be.

Be careful choosing the Options at the calculator -- they flip back and forth easily:
Male OR Female • Inches OR Centimeters • Pounds OR Kilograms
AND then it is suggested (on this forum) to Choose "Little or No Exercise"

The resulting numbers are what you ought to start out with. If the that number is 2700, then starting at 2000 is not eating enough calories; you'll be in a sort of starvation mode and your body won't give up the weight it will slow your metabolism instead. If you eat too little, thinking you'll do better, you will probably be disappointed. You need to eat close to the UD calories, and restrict the DD calories as well. If there is not a large enough swing between UD and DD it won't work well.

For me this was a VERY scary thing to do -- to eat MORE rather than LESS. I was upping my calories by 1,000 on UD from what I normally ate. I actually said here, "If THAT works then it is MAGIC!" DD were scary too but I quickly found that living on 500 calories for one day is completely doable.

For the record, I have not been doing any additional exercise/workout, just eating JUDDD style.

Wishing you much JUDDD magic!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
When I started, I think my calories were around 2500/500 and I followed them to the letter and it worked great! I agree about not cutting them down so low to start, if at all possible. While you don't have to eat ALL your UD calories, my personal feeling is that you should and see how you do, as long as you're not stuffing yourself or making yourself feel awful doing so. If you're able to hit 8000 on a binge day, 2700 should be doable, or even 2500 or so, with good healthy choices. I also second the recs for nuts, avocados, healthy fats, etc., to get your calories up. I supplement with wine.

I'm under 200 pounds now and my calorie allotment is 2000/400, as an example. You can bet I get in as many of those 2000 calories as I can, and I enjoy every last one of them!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
!
You have received some good suggestions from those who have posted.
Re-check the calculator and make sure you got accurate numbers.
When I started my UD was just under 2,000. It was hard for me to do it every UD, but I'm glad that I ate up to it at least 1x per week, because now I'm at about 1,700 on an UD, but if I occasionally hit 1,900 my losses continue.
For me it is about low DDs. It is 8:15pm here in NY. I've had about 50 calories today, just in the last half hour. I will have about 100 more for a bed time snack.

In my opinion you have just discovered the best WOE ever!

!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
welcome and best of luck!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: 260+/182.2/170-175/5'5/52
WOE: Not low carb, but low crap
to the board Zumba! You are in good hands here, the girls here are fantastic and know everything about JUDDD there is to know!
Erika1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Enjoy the UD !
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zumba89
Stats: 318
Start Date: 9/9/12
Thanks you guys I feel so welcomed here. Yes the 2716 is what the site said I shouldeat and for what all you have said I should try to met that goal on my UD. I'm going to up my calories next week and see what happens s. I have a weigh in on the Oct 14th so I have time to work in the higher calorie change. I alos I do have a lot to lost as my start weight is at 318 and my first goal is 300 and the 290. Lastly I'm adding more cheese and friut to my diet as will.

Thanks so much for the tips and the support. I really like it here.
Zumba89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Welcome Zumba! You can do it. Always great support here. You've already done the hardest part ... making the decision. Once you get through a few DD's it gets easier. At least that is what I am finding.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #12

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Hi Zumba! Welcome from another newbie. My high weight was also 318 (and a half) when I started losing in January. I lost 54.5 lbs on LoCarb, and then stalled, which is when I found JUDDD. I've been on it one week and have lost 3.5 lbs this first week. I haven't found it to be very hard or uncomfortable so far. In fact, I like it! Hope you'll post a lot and get all the encouragement and info you can from this great bunch.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #13

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Good to have you on board.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote