Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Travel and Vacations on JUDDD

Thought I'd start a thread so we wouldn't threadjack other folks

We were talking about upcoming (or past) vacations, and how maybe JUDDD has made those different for you?

I'm turning 40 in November (12th ) and my DH's birthday is on the 4th, so as we did for his 40th, we're going to this great resort in Mexico for MY 40th birthday too!
(I would've tried something new, but screw that, I want a known entity so I'm not worried about it).

We're going for 2 weeks! It's called Excellence, they're sort of new-ish, and have a few spots around the carribean.
My mom and a female friend are going to join us in the 2nd week, in time for my b-day.

Back to JUDDD-- I'm not going to do rotations during those 2 weeks. I know I'll gain some weight, but as I've had a few work trips already where I didn't stick to rotations, I'm sure it won't be more than 5-7 lbs (fingers crossed).
I want to enjoy my time and not worry too much about every calorie that crosses my lips.

on the other hand-- I don't plan on pigging out every day just b/c I can. The food there is SO great... and lots of local dishes to choose from... vats of freshly made guac, pico de gallo... grilled skirt steak (MY FAVORITE) on the beach at lunch a couple times per week... watermelon...

So-- do you have a trip coming up? Or have you had one recently while on JUDDD?
How did it differ from other trips you've had (while managing your weight), if at all?

And hey, if you have an awesome vacation spot to share, tell us about it!

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
in advance Soren!

I just spent a weekend away. We usually only do weekend trips. I had planned to keep to my rotations, but I had my UD on Saturday, then was sick all night, and figured I'd gotten rid of most of my calories from my UD, so I decided to make Sunday an UD as well. It ended up being an UUAD (over 2500 calories)! One rotation and the damage was gone.

I think, as long as you're doing your rotations well for the most part, a week or two of mindful eating won't derail your progress.

My (40th!) birthday is in 2 weeks, and while we're not doing anything major, we'll probably get a sitter and hit the bars. Because of last week's change, my birthday is now going to be on a DD. I'm not the least bit worried about it. If I want to switch, I have plenty of time to do so. If I want to have two UDs in a row, I also know myself well enough to know that it won't become a habit. JUDDD is the easiest plan to get back to if you take a little break.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
I have an upcoming trip and it will involve different cultures/food. I'm picky, so I might be able to stay on track. But, if I don't, I ain't gonna sweat it. Heck, you know the struggles I've had on this before and after my surgery. So, I have to face facts - it is what it is. I've managed to lose a whopping 2 lbs. and no doubt that'll find it's way on plus extra even if it's just water weight.

When JUDDD first came out, I got on it and did great until we went on vacation. Never could get back into it. I'm hoping and praying this time won't be different, especially since the holidays are around the corner!

I want to enjoy this experience without worrying about everything that goes in my mouth.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Great thread idea.

Your birthday trip sounds awesome. I love to go back to places I love.

Speaking of trips. Lately I never completely unpack my suitcase. I'm constantly coming and going.

Next week I'll be in beautiful South Lake Tahoe. The week after that, Hawaii!

On other diets I used to tell myself I was going to be good and make careful choices, keep track of points or only eat lean protein. But then there would be all the yummy tempting food, great restaurants or my family's terrific cooking. I would try to be good, but it never worked and I would come home with a lot of extra pounds.

Other plans are not forgiving like JUDD is. It would take me weeks and weeks to get the vacation weight off. (sometimes it didn't come off!)

Now I don't really worry. I enjoy myself. I have enough knowledge to make a doable plan and still enjoy myself and yummy foods. When I'm on vacation I seem to naturally fall into a Fast-5 pattern.

I just drink coffee in the mornings and then lots of iced tea and water throughout the day.

When I was in southern CA with my sisters for 8 days I really didn't worry about restrictions or rotations. I forget now how much I gained. I think it was 6 pounds? Whatever it was it came off pretty quickly when I came back home and started rotations again. That's the real joy of this. We get to live life, celebrate, enjoy ourselves and still manage our weight.

Best plan ever!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aeroangie
Stats: 159/159/130 anything
WOE: Low Carb + JUDDD
Start Date: 8/24/2012
I do a little bit of "Hellering" from CAD on vacation. I watch carefully the first two meals and then blow it out for the dinner hour. I don't lose but I don't gain but about 1 - 2 pounds. Life is meant to be enjoyed!!!
Aeroangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

One other thing I'm doing now is bringing a travel light-weight scale with me so I can weigh myself every morning. That way I can see if I really over did it and need to be more careful.

Otherwise, I might come home and start avoiding the scale or be shocked by the gain.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
Reading this thread makes me want to go on vacation!

I think you have a good plan Soren. The key, at least for me, is to know that when you get back from a fabulous vaca you get right back into the rotations. I don't know how many times I've gone off a diet for vacation and then take days, weeks, months to get back. With JUDDD it is a lot easier get back on the horse (no special foods, etc). After vacation I usually need a good detox day anyway!

Yam-Yam - You are a traveling fool, how nice! What island in Hawaii do you visit? I've only been to Kauai and it rained the whole time.

I Mexico, but I think my next beach vaca might be a Caribbean island. The only long vacation I have planned right now is a week in Palm Springs for Thanksgiving. I love going there because it is just a short drive. Makes packing a lot easier when you don't have to fly!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroangie View Post
I do a little bit of "Hellering" from CAD on vacation. I watch carefully the first two meals and then blow it out for the dinner hour. I don't lose but I don't gain but about 1 - 2 pounds. Life is meant to be enjoyed!!!

That's funny, I was just thinking about that, then found this thread. I do a lot of conference travel, which usually means bad convention center food during the day and restaurant business dinners at night. My next one is a four-day trip in a few weeks.

I *want* to do rotations through it, but it won't be easy. I don't mind doing DDs on the actual travel days but it won't be easy to do them while entertaining. So I was thinking about either a CAD-type day or even just eating one meal in the evening for my remaining DD. I guess we'll just see how things go.

I really don't want to totally turn the reigns loose on a trip where I don't even care about the food that much. It's just a college town, not an exotic location. I have such a long history of turning business travel into a license for a feeding frenzy (airport food, fast food, desserts at every opportunity) that I want to find a better way to handle those trips.

I know, I can repair the damage after I get home, but it would be nice to think I can maintain some sort of order while on the road.
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Jade: Last September we went to Maui. This year we are going back to Oahu. One of our JUDD BUDDs lives just down the street from where we stay on Waikiki. Hopefully I'll get to hook up with her. We had lunch together recently when she was here in California.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LindaD
Stats: First time 300/190/160 10/24/2000
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Start JUDDD 6/25/12 254.5/220.5/200
We will be going on vacation in Oct. to TX to visit my daughter and family.
I plan on making my travel day a DD...it's a Sat. Then the next day is a Sunday and my DH's birthday so plan on celebrating that! (it's also my DGD's birthday while we are there.) I plan to do as many of my rotations as possible as I am so use to fasting til after noon. If it doesn't work out...I am not going to beat myself up about it. I have dieted before when we are visiting so it's just life!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopefulsweigh
Stats: 155/149/139
Start Date: JUDDD restart - January 2014
Soren

Your vacation sounds lovely. Is it kid friendly? I'm planning a family vacay in February and am looking for recommendations. And I'm just a hop down the QEW from you in the Hammer.

My experience with DD's on vacation has been great, even with the family. Knowing the next day I can eat, really is a saving grace. The simplicity of not eating is fabulous when not at home, not to mention easy peasy.

I am traveling to California in 2 weeks and plan to make my travel days DD's. If i end up having two UD's in a row, so be it. It has happened before and the overall trend on the scale is downward, JUDDD really is forgiving , especially when you are "usually" consistent with the rotations.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ogether-4.html
Hopefulsweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
We're going to Canada from 9/20-9/25. I may do Fast 5 some of the days, but mostly I will just enjoy. We went to St. Thomas in May for 5 days. I did not do rotations and did not deny myself anything really. I tried to make a few decent choices, but can home EXACTLY the weight I was the day I left!

I attribute that to having done really solid rotations up till that point and jumped right back in when we got home. Hoping for similar results later this month.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I still find it challenging to find my happy place on the stringent-mindful-blowout spectrum while traveling, but I'm learning more each time.
My sister and I are going to New York City next week for some theatre, art, and great food, so I'll get another whack at it.
Great thread idea.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Jade: Last September we went to Maui. This year we are going back to Oahu. One of our JUDD BUDDs lives just down the street from where we stay on Waikiki. Hopefully I'll get to hook up with her. We had lunch together recently when she was here in California.
Still looking forward to seeing you! Hope it all works out. We had dinner at Chuck's and Chuck's Cellar this week. Both dinners were yummy.

Enjoy Tahoe. We spent a lot of time there when we still lived in California.

Hugs
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I like to throw in some rotation anywhere I can and I don't like to eat food just because it's there. It has to be good/great or some ethnic/regional experience.
Great food is just better after I haven't eaten for a while....heck, even the regular stuff I make at home is fantastic after a DD or even if I just put off eating til evening!!

It is just too hard to get back on track especially if it's been long enough to reduce SIRT1.
Some can jump right back in so it's individual but if I really am making this my lifetime woe, I don't want to be having to re start over and over.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
When I went away for a week, I didn't really worry about rotations, but tried to keep in my my natural hunger cues. I now tend to want to eat bigger one day, and less the next. I wanted to just eat "normal" on vacation - i.e. not worry about not eating dinner at the restaurant because it's a DD. My husband and I would share a meal and I gave him most of it because my hunger was satisfied with just a bit. I just wanted a taste. I'm really trying hard to listen to my hunger cues now and I find it easier than I ever have before...especially knowing that I could technically have whatever I wanted to eat.

One DD when I got home and I was back to my weight before the trip.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
I recently went to Japan for two weeks. While my ticker says 187, I was that two days before I left for Japan and on the day I departed I was at 189.6. I made no effort whatsoever to rotate or reign myself in. I ate loads of yummy Japanese food. I ate sweet treats. I even ate more than one Big Mac when the little one necessitated a McDonald's run (and as an aside, let me tell you I am ruined for life because the McDonald's there was SO good and fresh).

We returned this past Saturday at midnight. Sunday morning (of course bloated etc from air travel) I was 197. I did a down day on Sunday and have rotated since. Today I was 191.

Not too shabby, eh?

I love JUDDD!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
I went on vacation only 3 or 4 weeks after starting JUDDD. I did fine. I did rotations pretty faithfully (on maintenance calories, not WL mode) for the first week or so - then I lost it and did several UD in a row. When I got back, I did 2 rotations and was right back down. Very nice. I usually vacay in condos so I can cook what I want when I want but the last few days especially were indulgent with $5 rum drinks at the pool, a couple extra meals out, etc.... it's nice to have a plan.

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
I like to throw in some rotation anywhere I can and I don't like to eat food just because it's there. It has to be good/great or some ethnic/regional experience.
Great food is just better after I haven't eaten for a while....heck, even the regular stuff I make at home is fantastic after a DD or even if I just put off eating til evening!!
That's where I am. So many of the places I travel to don't have anything really unique in their cuisine, and I hate the idea of missing rotations just to eat at another chain restaurant or steak place. But it is good to know that I can probably loosen the reigns a bit when I'm on the road and the food decisions are not always in my hands.
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I just got back from visiting family. Fully intended to stick to my rotations, but completely failed 2 days into the trip. 2 birthdays, the county fair, etc, etc. I do fine on vacations except when I'm around this one bunch of family. Oh well, gained 4lbs, back on my rotations today with a DD.
The main problem is I go up to see them 4 or 5 times a year. Going back up for Thanksgiving, then not again until close to Spring. So that gives me almost 3 good months of UD/DD.
Crazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
I have some travel upcoming and the thing I hear from all of you and that I will need to remind myself is NOT TO PANIC about the initial return scale number. Wait till 3 DDs and THEN panic LOL, but only if necessary.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
I've only been JUDDDing a week and I'm leaving for 5 days to clean out my grandmother's house. I know it will be emotional, stressful and exhausting so I'm not even going to try to count calories or deal with down days. I'm planning to do Fast 5 while I'm gone, it just feels easier and I'm hoping it will keep me from gaining what I've already lost.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Mrs S: Sorry you have to face this emotional task. You have a great attitude and I agree that Fast-5 can be pretty easy to do when traveling.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm popping in from sunny Lake Tahoe to read a little bit.

So far I'm sticking closely to plan, except for the wine! But I'm not going overboard on that.

The scale was down this morning and it made me happy! That means I CAN maintain or even lose a little while traveling. I can still enjoy myself, go out to fancy dinners, and not go overboard on eating.

I took a long, 1.5 hour brisk walk yesterday and a 30 minute walk this morning. There is a gym at the hotel, but it does not have any outside windows. Very dark. I would rather be outside in the beautiful sun by the lake.

I will stop by again when I get a chance! Hugs, All!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey gang

I'm back from Vegas, and am leaving for my Mom's on Saturday. Today and Friday are DDs, driving on Saturday will be a MD (she's also taking me out for dinner, a steak place I think?) and Sunday is an UD b/c it's Rosh Hashanah, which is basically a big family meal type of holiday!

Then I'm back for a bit, and off to CA for work. As some of you have mentioned, if you stay in a place with a kitchen, it's a bit easier, and I'll be at a Residence Inn (marriott). So I can plan for my DDs and have almond milk, veggies, etc. I've planned my rotations in advance so I can have dinner out with my team/colleagues/friends on my UDs.

My only issue is travel days... I feel compelled to eat the entire plane ride! I can get veggies and snack on those, but it's THE weirdest thing!
This last trip back from Vegas, I got stuck in the middle seat... only a 4hr flight, so I tried not to drink too much water and didn't have to get up to pee... normally I get an aisle and I can do whatever I like.

Also, coming from Canada to the US, I can't bring in ANY food-- so I'm totally stuck with whatever's at the airport.

My new discovery is: I have access to the business class lounge for my usual airline-- and they have carrots/celery at meal times (it seems... they did around 6pm anyway).
So I'm going to bring an extra, empty ziploc bag, and load up at the buffet

No food to declare in customs b/c the lounge comes after you go through, and then I'm good to go for the 5hr trip to CA in a couple weeks (let's hope this plan works).

re: where I go in Mexico. No, this one is adults only (21 and up I think), and is called Excellence (you can google them)... but I can recommend Club Med in the carribean, every one I've been to is awesome, and most have some type of kids club (some even have circus school!).

Yam-- have a great trip!

S.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

That's a great plan to grab veggies at the lounge, Soren!

Everyone eats their way through flights from what I can see. On a trip I did to Boston earlier this year I was at the airport quite early and just watched everyone chowing down and that was before they got on the plane. Boredom and anxiety is all I can figure. I watched a size 2 gal eat a ton of York peppermint patties. Maybe it was her up day.

One thing that has saved me when I was dependent on airport food on a down day . . . hardboiled eggs. Now, I am super picky and while I eat scrambled eggs most days I do not like hardboiled yolks just as they are. What I did is get two hardboiled eggs from Au Bon Pain and then slice them in half. I used only one half of one yolk and mixed that with mustard packets they had and just the smallest bit of mayo (eyeballed for a teaspoon). It made deviled eggs that were perfect. It was either that or a $16 shrimp cocktail--'twas slim pickings at that airport.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It really is slim pickings-- I thought doing LC was tough, but at least you can pretty much find a chicken caesar salad (fresh or packaged) anywhere, a burger and remove the bun, peanuts/almonds, etc.

I *just* saw hb eggs at the LV airport, but they don't carry them here in Toronto. It's like, diet coke and iced tea from Starbucks, or nothing (for a down day)

I bought the access to the lounge through my main credit card-- something like 190 for a year, and I get access to the lounge, as well as 1st class check in (though they don't tag my bag as priority) and priority lane through security (which I do anyway b/c I have the NEXUS canada/usa traveler program...). So I'm curious to see what they have available at different times of day. At the least, I can fill my water bottle (TIP: bring an empty refillable water bottle, and all the airlines will fill it for you while you travel-- it's a green option, and you don't have to be awake each time when they come by with the hourly water refills), grab some canned diet drinks, and whatever else I can get my hands on.

And the bathrooms are nicer
Old 09-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I love airport lounges! That's a great tip on the water bottle too--thanks!

Yeah, I was at Logan airport super early because I had time to kill between hotel checkout and the flight and I examined everything in that airport for down day appropriateness. The absolute lowest calorie thing I could find in the snack shop was a bowl of fruit loops . . . and I knew that would make me starve later. LOL! LC is easier in that regard for sure.

Safe (and low calorie) travels!
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
When in doubt, I tend to stick w LC.
Grilled chicken ceasar salads are easy to find in airport rests. and the fast food joints will sell sides of eggs and bacon/sausage during the breakfast hour.

I learned from over a decade of LC'ing that I can eat anywhere...so if I am eating off plan it is because I have made that decision.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So, I'm driving for 8+ hrs on Saturday to see my mom (and then 2hrs to get from her country place to the city, and then back on probably tuesday, but its more direct, so about 6hrs).

The rest stops just all changed last year, and the one thing I can say is that while the food choices are not phenomenal (tim hortons, burger king, kfc... like that), there are these "market" store things where you can get chips and all that-- AND they have a refrigerated section, with stuff like relatively fresh sushi (the same brand the grocery stores here carry, nothing too exotic), HB eggs in packages, cheese in snack packs, tuna snaks, etc.

So, I'll probably pack a cooler for myself, but along the 401 from Toronto to Quebec, there *are* some options for LC and, um, LC (low carb, low cal)