Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aeroangie
Stats: 159/159/130 anything
WOE: Low Carb + JUDDD
Start Date: 8/24/2012
Not really a JUDDD topic

I have really been trying to kick the soda habit so I bought some "SleepyTime Tea" w/ chamomile. Within an hour I began breaking out in hives, had tingling lips, and facial swelling. Apparently, people that are allergic to ragweed should NOT consume chamomile. Sure wish they'd put a warning on the label.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? How do I get all this swelling out of my face? Have taken Benadryl (which helped the hives) but I am still swollen like a poison dog.

Help - I have guests coming on the boat again later today. I can't entertain with my eyes almost swelled shut. Anyone know how long this take to resolve?

Last edited by Aeroangie; 09-07-2012 at 08:43 AM..
Aeroangie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Thing is hun.. If you have a more severe reaction you may need epp pen for this.. or at least a trip to the docotors office.. Benidryll can help minor issues at home.. but i would be more concerned with throat closing off then the topical swollen looking eyes hun~
My son had one bee sting and dint know he was allergic and the swelling continued.. So please be carfull.. and it would not hurt to make a phone call to a clinic near by or even your family doc to tell them what just happend to you

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 09-07-2012 at 08:46 AM..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Yes, please get to a doctor! You probably need a corticosteroid to resolve all that inflamation. I was told once by a doctor, when I had a full body rash, that whatever you see on the outside, is also going on all through the inside of your body. Nothing to mess around with.

Good info, by the way, about the chammomile. I will avoid it!

Sorry you had this happen. Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I actually consumed the tea last night. It (the Benadryl) took care of the hives but not the facial swelling. I'd have to drive several hours to see my doctor (unless I went to the ER) and I have people boarding my vessel today in a few hours!

Will ice help? Jeez!!!! Guess I'll wear my sunglasses day and night!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Doctor, really, go now. If your eyes are almost swollen shut very, very bad things can be happening inside you. Doctor now.

And, for heaven's sake, give us an update.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
I haven't experienced anything like that, however I had to pop in to say that I quit Diet Soda in January and it honestly changed my life. I had no idea this would happen but all of my cravings for sweet things completely went away. No torment any longer! It may not be the case for everyone, but it absolutely has had a huge impact on my life. I don't even miss it now, but it was very hard to quit back then.
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cobra2411
Stats: 323/246/223
WOE: 75lbs lost on Atkins now JUDDD
Start Date: May 2011
Uh yeah, Doctor... Go now... Even if it's just a local clinic. If you're eyes are almost swollen shut it's a pretty severe reaction and should have some medical attention.

As for kicking the soda habit, I went from regular to diet and saw a huge reduction in the amount I drank. That's good enough for me right now but eventually I'll do the same thing I did before to cut back on regular soda - Drink an equal amount of water before the soda. That'll help cut it down to a point where you could go cold turkey or simply do two waters per soda - etc.

Additionally I have an ice tea brewer. It was like $20 at target. You put water, ice and tea bags in and 10 minutes later you have tasty ice tea... Sweeten if you like.

Just stay away from chamomile

And seek medical attention already. Even if you just call your doctor.
cobra2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Last night? Ugh. Please call your doctor - s/he will probably want to put you onto something stronger than benedryl.

Now that you have had such a severe reaction, you probably should carry an epipen and always know where the nearest ER is. If you ever stumble across some other member of the ragweed family, we could lose you. And we need your wit and wisdom here!!

(Can you tell I have a lot of family and friends who carry epi's.....and one whose family still wishes she had.)
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. I ain't going no where! I just called my internist and am waiting to hear from them. Problem is, like I said, we have a fishing charter in a few hours and I have to provision the boat, change the sheets, etc. This was NOT the right time for this. In this economy, we're lucky to even have business! Ughhh!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
keep taking the benedryl-- it helps with the allergic reaction inside and outside. You could try a mild anti-inflammatory, like advil or alleve (but don't overdo it). Lots of clear fluids too, to help flush your system.

Don't drink that again-- if it was the "celestial seasonings" brand of "sleepy time tea" there could be a few different things in there that you may be allergic to... spearmint is the first that comes to mind... could be a pesticide ON any of the herbs in the tea, or what the tea bag was made from, etc.
Will be very hard to pinpoint, so just AVOID from now on.

And, like with any allergic reaction-- you're lucky this first time didn't kill you (not to be dramatic, but...). This was the warning, the next time you may not be so lucky.

Please get yourself to your internist, and a prescription for an epi-pen to have on hand. Anaphalaxis (which is what you described) kills people daily, we don't want you to be one of them!

Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cobra2411
Stats: 323/246/223
WOE: 75lbs lost on Atkins now JUDDD
Start Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroangie View Post
Thanks everyone. I ain't going no where! I just called my internist and am waiting to hear from them. Problem is, like I said, we have a fishing charter in a few hours and I have to provision the boat, change the sheets, etc. This was NOT the right time for this. In this economy, we're lucky to even have business! Ughhh!
You're an adult so you do what you feel is best but remember - it's hard to provision a boat if you're lying unconscious on the floor... Do not take this lightly.
cobra2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Another quick tip: If you haven't already done so, remove all your jewelry. I had a severe allergic reaction a few years ago and had to have my wedding band cut off because my hands were so swollen it was restricting circulation to my finger. Remove anything encircling any part of your body (rings, bracelets, necklaces) even if they are loose enough now because there's no telling if you'll get MORE swollen later.

I also second (third, fourth) the recommendation to get to a clinic or hospital for a shot. Anaphylaxis is no joke, and does kill--often. Pay attention to how you're feeling. Difficulty breathing or a tightening in the throat is a good indication you don't have much time. I'm worried that you're going to be on a boat and won't be able to get EMS out to you in time. I know it sounds paranoid, but it really does happen.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, go to the ER while you have time, before you leave. sorry

Last edited by ravenrose; 09-07-2012 at 10:52 AM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
This is scary. Please check in and let us know you are ok. I'm so, so sorry you are going through this. Is there anyone at all who can help you on the boat?
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Water, water, water to flush this from the system. As you provision, does someone go by a pharmacy where they could talk this out with a pharmacist? Keep up at least the benedril and good job making the phone call - that's why we pay our drs the big bucks. Try to stay as shaded as possible on the boat for best hydration. All best wishes. Water.
Whitlin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I went! My internist nurse called and knew a clinic in the town where my boat now is. They shot me up with a bunch of prednisone and gave me the epipen script. Those two pens were over $200!!! They told me the worst of it was over last night but the sme as you have all said that the next time I might not be so lucky.

If it wasn't the tea, does anything think it could have been the "Miracle Noodles?" I also started taking resveratol.

They said it didn't have to be the tea unles that was the only new thing I tried yesterday that I hadn't had before.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #17

Sadly, with allergies, it could be anything. It may never happen again, even if you're ingesting the same things you had yesterday. It could have been something environmental.

I'm so glad you got checked out and now have an epi-pen to keep with you!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Oh yeah....when I said 'I ain't going no where" I meant that I knew I wasn't going to die......not go to the doctor. Of course, I didn't WANT to go to some strange doc somewhere but it turned out OK! I still look quite disfugured.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I m thrilled to see that you did seek medical help.. It can be anything "new" Its not fun trying to figure it out..
Old 09-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #20

Sadly, it doesn't even have to be something "new." You can develop an allergy at any time, even to something you've used or been exposed to over and over.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
Glad to see you're OK!
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Whew! Glad there was a convenient clinic and you went. Did they also give you a prescription for Prednisone? That stuff works pretty fast.

For the first time in my life a couple of years ago I had an allergic reaction to poison oak. Went to the doc, got a shot but they also gave me the prescription so I could keep taking it.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I had Botox injections last week and didn't mention that. Seems like I would have reacted a week ago though....the things women do just to look better. Men really don't understand!

On the menu tonight:
Ribs
Grilled marinated shrimp
Cauliflower salad
field peas and snap beans
No Carbarita + whipped vodka (my Key Lime Pie Margarita)
OR
Sparkling Ice Orange Mango + Orange Pucker Vodka + a touch of whipped (Whip a *****)
OR
No Carbarita Margarita
OR
No Carbarita Mojito mix + Rum
Or
Beer or wine

Departing Beaufort at 6:30 and will arrive at Cape Lookout's National Seashore at 7:30!
Look me up if anyone ever wants to go...seriously!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

True Dawn..I have never had seasonal Allergies till 5 years ago , i Thought i had a sinus infection and went to Doc .. Hes like,, oh its just your allergies! Im like I dont have allergies.. He says,, you do now
Old 09-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Well, I've said this before - this is why we pay drs the big bucks. If I were you, I would call back to the office of the dr you saw and say you have remembered further information and tell them about the botox, just to be sure that doesn't mean anything - after all, both facial. Also, when you do have a chance, make sure your regular dr knows all about this. Before you have anything to drink, check to make sure it doesn't interfere with the prescription or the OTCs you've had. I'm agreeing, whew. Have fun.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I'm so glad you got to the Dr. Always better safe than sorry! Hope you have a nice trip and feel (and look! ) better soon!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote