Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
9 Weeks on JUDDD & I'm Jumping for Joy!

At today's weigh-in, I was down to 269 for a total of 17 lbs lost on JUDDD and 21 lbs lost total (was doing WW before). My weight loss pace on JUDDD has averaged to 1.8 lbs lost a week, though at least one of those weeks I was totally off plan and on vacation.

I am thrilled and here are some reasons why.
  • 270 was the lowest weight I was able to achieve with Fen-Phen.
  • I weighed 270 when I got married sixteen years ago and could not get below it for the wedding, in spite of a low fat regimen and a punishing exercise routine.
  • The most I was ever able to lose on Low Carb was 17 lbs--and that was over a very long period of time. I have now matched that. On Low Carb, I got down to 270 and stuck there with only brief flirtations under that number.

Because 270 has been such a set point for me, it was my first goal for this diet. I doubted I could even make it. I'd tried and failed so many times before. But I just accomplished it. Tomorrow, the scale is likely to jump up a pound and I will probably freak out, but I saw 269 so I'm claiming it and changing my stats.

I'm in such a good mood right now I don't really even want to list any downsides to this week but these posts aren't just for me. They're also for new people considering JUDDD. I want folks to go into this mentally prepared. So:

Downsides
Physical Discomfort. Three out of my four down days this week were a breeze and I began to think that difficult down days were a thing of the past, but the fourth one descended rapidly last night into gnawing hunger. I can't seem to find a pattern between the DDs that are ridiculously easy and the ones that make me want to curl around my empty belly and whimper myself to sleep. I will say, however, that the hungrier days almost always seem to be followed by a drop on the scale. The other thing I'll say is that I'm developing a stubborn streak. When the hunger starts to become distracting, I could add 50 calories more and just accept a possible slower rate of loss, but I tend to grimly push through it instead.

Mental Fog. JUDDD has forced me to confront hunger with a steely-eyed gaze. And for the most point, I have done it. I can clean my whole house while hungry. I can run errands. I can have meetings, yell at contractors, pull weeds, etc. I can even exercise a little on a down day. What I cannot seem to do as well on the occasional brutal down day is concentrate on immersive creative tasks, like, say, writing a novel. I use a program to keep track of my word counts, and it's fairly comical the way my word counts seem to keep pace with my calories for the day. (Which leads me to wonder, if I eat 10,000 calories can I crank out that many words in a day? B/c that might be a worthy experiment near deadline. Just kidding!) Anyway, my point is that I've not yet achieved the mental clarity and increased productivity that many report on their JUDDD journey. It's getting better. A lot better. I mean, for a while there, I couldn't write on a Down Day at all. Now I am writing some brilliantly bleak scenes (if I do say so myself). But the occasional mental fog on DDs is my major complaint about this WOE.

Upsides
Increasing Optimism & Confidence. I'm starting to think this is really going to work for me. Certainly, I'm committed to keep going.

Enjoying this WOE. I'm actually liking JUDDD more over time rather than less. Which is amazing because diet fatigue gets me every time. I can't even count the number of times I lost 4 lbs on Weight Watchers or Low Carb, only to have some kind of mental breakdown after months of starvation or deprivation, after which I would eat everything in reach and gain back five or six pounds. I need to knock on wood or something, but I don't feel like I'm in any danger of an imminent breakdown. Sure, there is a little bit of mental pressure right now in which my brain is saying, "Remember when we used to eat every day? Wasn't that great?" But it's not very loud and it's being drowned out by the knowledge that I can have an ice cream sundae tonight if I want one. With real hot fudge.

Fits in my Lifestyle. The triggering event to my blowing a diet and eating every forbidden food that wasn't nailed down was almost always a social event of some sort. I'm Italian. My family loves food. Food is love. Food is cultural. It's enjoyment. It's reward. It's bonding. I begin to think that any diet that fights against such strong forces is bound to fail. No amount of telling myself that food was just fuel was ever going to work. Thousands of years of social evolution have made feasting an important part of people's lives and JUDDD is the first diet I have ever encountered that honors that tradition. You can't feast every day. But by god, you can feast. On JUDDD, I can eat out with my friends. I can be a guest in other people's homes without asking them to accommodate my special needs. I can celebrate with champagne and cake. In short, I can enjoy my life, at this size, right now. I don't have to wait. And that is a precious thing.

Now I need to pick a new goal weight. I'm thinking 250. I haven't seen that number since I was in law school.

Last edited by stephdray; 09-05-2012 at 09:38 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Steph I love this post. It is wonderful that you come in with your weekly update which, as you say, it is so helpful for the all Newbies here.

You are just rocking JUDDD. I am so happy for you.

Forward to 250 it is.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/207/180
Stephdray, that is fabulous!! I love how you break down your progress for all of us to soak up! Keep up the good work...you're definitely one to watch!
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
269!!!!!!!!!!

So happy for you and making your first goal! There is something about hitting "wedding weight" that is so major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
No amount of telling myself that food was just fuel was ever going to work.
This.

Since starting JUDDD, I am unapologetic about LIKING food. I used to feel so guilty at times and tell myself "food is just fuel" you aren't supposed to ENJOY it. Now, I really enjoy grocery shopping and coming up with new recipes, etc. Getting rid of the guilt associated with food (even though I am still a work in progress) is so freeing!
sdjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Woo Hoo! What an exciting post!

Yes, JUDDD is just plainly different. Eating this way is the most beneficial food plan I've ever encountered. And at the very top of the list in importance, of all the wonderful benefits JUDDD gives us, is that it turns us into a fat burner of excess calories instead of a fat hoarder of excess. It turns on that SIRT-1 gene.

I'm beginning to really believe that revving up that most-often-dormant little skinny gene within us doesn't just help us lose the weight, it protects us against so easily regaining the weight! Just cutting out certain foods doesn't seem to activate SIRT-1. Eating lowered calories every day doesn't seem to activate this skinny gene. But by working with your natural daylight/darkness circadian rhythm, feasting and fasting in the alternating pattern that we follow on JUDDD, experiencing that 36-hour long Down Day period that the JUDDD plan is based on seems to work magic.

I love reading that you've broken through that 270 weight and got to see 269 on your scale, because you'll be seeing it again. And lower numbers as well. Regardless that JUDDD causes the scale readings to bounce a lot.. if you follow your numbers you'll almost always be heading down in body fat as the weeks and months go on. All the while you get to eat cheeseburgers.

Just do the plan. Just do JUDDD. And the magic happens. Isn't it fun?!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Loved every word of your update today, Steph! Congratulations on your new low! Wooo-Hooooo!!!

You might think you are just helping and encouraging new peeps but I'm an oldie who just got a jolt of much needed motivation and joy. KUTGW!! and thank you for sharing yourself and your journey with all of us JUDD BUDDS!!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Love, love, love your posts!!! Congrats on the new low, can't wait until you get to the next one!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Steph - CONGRATULATIONS!
Speaking as a complete newbie (Day 2 and first UD for me here), this post is completely motivating, and helpful. And honest, which is what I was looking for when I first came to this forum. No WOE is completely, 100% easy-breezy. I'm still very committed to LoCarb - it's been very very good to me, but there are some downsides, and I can live with them. I assumed it would be the same with JUDDD. Your post helps me understand and be prepared for those unavoidable stumbling blocks.

You and I are close in current weight, and I just came off a plateau that had me stuck at 268-269 for weeks. We can cheer each other on. Personally, I'm psyched to hit the 250's, which in 3 more pounds I can claim. 250(s) - here we both come!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Fits in my Lifestyle. The triggering event to my blowing a diet and eating every forbidden food that wasn't nailed down was almost always a social event of some sort. I'm Italian. My family loves food. Food is love. Food is cultural. It's enjoyment. It's reward. It's bonding. I begin to think that any diet that fights against such strong forces is bound to fail. No amount of telling myself that food was just fuel was ever going to work. Thousands of years of social evolution have made feasting an important part of people's lives and JUDDD is the first diet I have ever encountered that honors that tradition. You can't feast every day. But by god, you can feast. On JUDDD, I can eat out with my friends. I can be a guest in other people's homes without asking them to accommodate my special needs. I can celebrate with champagne and cake. In short, I can enjoy my life, at this size, right now. I don't have to wait. And that is a precious thing.

(I still don't know how to quote properly!)

Yes!!! I totally get what you are saying here! I always felt like I was "waiting" to enjoy life until I lost so many pounds. The day I started JUDDD felt like the day I got to stop waiting, it felt like I was finally done dieting. Strange because I also decided that I would JUDDD long term so it was really the start of a very long term diet.

Happy for you on getting below the 270weight!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
CONGRATULATIONS!!
This is awesome news!!

ENJOY!!

NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #11

Gallery: toomuchbooty
So awesome! You are one week ahead of me on your JUDDD journey and it seems we are going through a lot of the same things! I definitely experience the hungry DD before a drop on the scale. It can be challenging to power through, but rewarding to see that drop!
toomuchbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Oh boy, I can't tell you how big my grin is right now!

Something told me that once the rhythm of JUDDD became comfortable that you would really begin to feel and see the benefits! I can so relate to being Italian and loving food & family! I am German/Choctaw and my family social life is food. Just a fact! But the grand thing about JUDDD is... I still enjoy doing stuff with fam and friends. I have decided I will make it work! For once, I have family wanting to look into this WOE more and some are so amazed when I reply, "it is okay, I am saving it for tomorrow!"
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 09-05-2012 at 10:35 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post

(I still don't know how to quote properly!)

Yes!!! I totally get what you are saying here! I always felt like I was "waiting" to enjoy life until I lost so many pounds. The day I started JUDDD felt like the day I got to stop waiting, it felt like I was finally done dieting. Strange because I also decided that I would JUDDD long term so it was really the start of a very long term diet.

Happy for you on getting below the 270weight!
I am answering you to tell you that you can quote any post simply by clicking on the *Quote* button of that post, located down in the lower right corner. The quoted post then comes up on your *Reply to Thread* screen, and you just add whatever you want to say.

And I also wanted to say that I agree about this being a strange eating plan in that you are actively living your life while losing your weight. You're enjoying restaurant meals out with friends, birthday parties, festivals and church suppers. You get to enjoy the foods at pot lucks and wedding receptions. And enjoy the feasts during all the Holidays! And.. every other day of your normal life, free to eat whatever foods you enjoy the most and feel the happiest and healthiest on.

And all the time, you're losing body fat.

And then you're at goal, having lived your life and enjoyed it while you lost the weight, and at goal..... you have to eat more to stop losing more than you want to.

Last edited by SoHappy; 09-05-2012 at 10:34 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Love reading your posts Steph! Again, you nailed it (for me, at least). Though I'm not as determined as you on your DD, and I've had more off-plan trips since April than I thought I would've (*just realized that if I hadn't, I'd probably make my 199 goal by Nov... ah well*).

Keep up the good work, the posting, and I'm hoping that either you DD creative work gets better (or you keep all your bleak writing for those days) OR you just pile all your *other* work onto DD's and write your face off on UDs

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I reading your posts - they ring so true! on reaching your goal and for setting a new one!

DDs are difficult for me too, but I too notice a drop after a particularly hungry day. It is enough that makes me hold out on eating anything more. I have gotten to the point where I was sick of JUDDD, but it is the only diet that after 3 days off, I'm ready to come back to it. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually love the feeling of a good DD after a few days off - like a vacation. It feels refreshing almost - cleansing... I don't know. Still trying to figure out my groove and my "long term WOE," but I feel like I'm closer every day.

t/j - I didn't know you went to law school. I did too!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Congrats on the new lower number. I'm not a newbie, either, but so look forward to your weekly updates. They are motivating to all of us.

Happy writing if it an upday - good luck if it I down day!

Have a great JUDDD day everyone!

Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
I am so glad for you! Of course like others have said I also love to read all your updates, you tell it like it is!
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Beautiful post. What a crazy thrill, dropping below a number that is The Impossible Dream in your head, and doing it with burgers. Fantastic.
I love your bit about enjoying it more as you go along. Same here, and that's almost as incredible as the weight lost.
So happy you're here, Steph. Thanks.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Beautiful post. What a crazy thrill, dropping below a number that is The Impossible Dream in your head, and doing it with burgers. Fantastic.
I love your bit about enjoying it more as you go along. Same here, and that's almost as incredible as the weight lost.
So happy you're here, Steph. Thanks.
I loved this!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme

loved reading this! KUTGW and keep the motivating posts coming!
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #21

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. I so look forward to your weekly updates.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SavLexiMom
Stats: 5'7'' 282/210.4/150
WOE: Restarted JUDDD 11/27/12 at 217.8
Woo hoo!!! Awesome job, Steph!!!
SavLexiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
Excellent!! Congratulations!!
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Everyone!

I'm so grateful for all your posts. I couldn't have done it without you. I mean that. I would never have found JUDDD without this board and there were a few moments in there where I would have bolted for the hills if it weren't for my JUDDD BUDDDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
You might think you are just helping and encouraging new peeps but I'm an oldie who just got a jolt of much needed motivation and joy.
This melts my heart!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
No WOE is completely, 100% easy-breezy. I'm still very committed to LoCarb - it's been very very good to me, but there are some downsides, and I can live with them. I assumed it would be the same with JUDDD. Your post helps me understand and be prepared for those unavoidable stumbling blocks.
I'm so glad. And hey, I'm with you on the low carb thing. I still think it's the healthiest way to eat. I just didn't have the willpower to sustain it for longer than 6 months at a time, and my weight loss was glacial. I fully support any plan that helps anybody.

And yeah, there are always the trade-offs, so I try to be honest about them. So far, the balance sheet tips way way in favor of JUDDD.

Quote:
You and I are close in current weight, and I just came off a plateau that had me stuck at 268-269 for weeks. We can cheer each other on. Personally, I'm psyched to hit the 250's, which in 3 more pounds I can claim. 250(s) - here we both come!
Go go you! We'll do it together.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchbooty View Post
So awesome! You are one week ahead of me on your JUDDD journey and it seems we are going through a lot of the same things! I definitely experience the hungry DD before a drop on the scale. It can be challenging to power through, but rewarding to see that drop!
Yep! And have you noticed a shrinking stomach? I haven't figured out whether to list this as a downside or an upside because mine is unpredictable.

I can still eat an ungodly amount of calories some up days, but then there are weird moments like this afternoon, when I ate an apple for a snack, and I ate it quickly and then realized that I had actually managed to overstuff myself on an apple.

Like, was I supposed to know in advance that A WHOLE APPLE at one time was just too much food for my new delicate disposition? I'm pretty sure I could have eaten a bushel of apples in one sitting in days past, so I really have no idea what an appropriate serving size of anything is anymore. Here's where things start to get interesting!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)

I'm so glad you decided to stick with JUDDD. Wow... 9 weeks has flown by!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post

I'm so glad you decided to stick with JUDDD. Wow... 9 weeks has flown by!
I know! Me too. Do you remember when she sounded really *iffy* about it?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
AWSOME
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: 260-181.4-/-170-5'5/51
WOE: TLC/Low GI trial for August
Awesome post! Thank you so much for sharing!
Erika1962 is offline   Reply With Quote