Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121.4/120
WOE: my version of healthy diet mixed with JUDDD :)
MUDD?

Hello Judd Budds

Anyone interested in MUDD check-in. I would like to give it shot, as doing straight forward JUDD is not easy for me. I am too hungry on DD. MUDD is our PirateJenny's creation. For those who are not familliar with it, this is how it works:

Day 1
B: DD
L: DD
D: UD

Day 2
B: UD
L: UD
D: DD

Day 3
D: UP

and so forth...

If anyone would like to join me, we can start a check-in.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
I think I might join you!

I haven't really been following any sort of plan lately (other than sort-of-low-carb) because of ridiculous insomnia, but I've been gearing up to get back into something after Labor Day (we were camping at a music festival with only vegetarian food vendors). School starts tomorrow, and my son will be gone almost 12 hours every day (has cross-country practice after school), so that should make it easier to concentrate on what I need to do for myself.

BTW, MUDDD can also be done this way:
Day 1

Day 2
B: UD
D: DD

Day 3

Instead of referring to UD/DD, I write them as UUD/DDU (or UDD/DUU) in my journal. Yesterday started out as a good DD until I made pasta salad for my son....
(I only had a little bit, and added a can of tuna to it, but the salad dressing was not DD-friendly!)
...then I read your post and thought, hey, I can make this work!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
PJ, I'm quite sure I read a post on this ages ago, but could you give a menu-type example to go along with this? I know a fifth grader should be able to figure this out. But fifth grade was a loooong time ago for me.

This looks similiar to the WW "night eater's" way of doing things. Or a Fast 5 WOE. Which I loved, but didn't work for me.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Wish I could, but I'm not sure what you mean...
Or that it would help much, if my calories are different from yours...

But, let's say my calories are 2400/600.
Each meal could be approx 800/200.

So my days might look like this:
Day 1:
B: 800
L: 800
D: 200

Day 2:
B: 200
L: 200
D: 800

Repeat!
Is that what you meant?
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
I'm curious the benefit of this way of doing JUDDD - is the 24-hour cycle then is either DD or UD but not within the waking cycle? Because lunch, dinner, breakfast the next day are either DD or UD? so a DD or an UD begins at lunch? Sorry, dense here - lack of sleep.
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Wish I could, but I'm not sure what you mean...
Or that it would help much, if my calories are different from yours...

But, let's say my calories are 2400/600.
Each meal could be approx 800/200.

So my days might look like this:
Day 1:
B: 800
L: 800
D: 200

Day 2:
B: 200
L: 200
D: 800

Repeat!
Is that what you meant?
Yes, I think so. I get what you're doing the more I look at it. It can make the DD's a bit easier as alot of the fasting period appears to be when you're sleeping.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121.4/120
WOE: my version of healthy diet mixed with JUDDD :)
I change my mind often, so this morning I decided to do regular JUDD but with higher DD calories. If I still have a hard time with down days, I will switch to MUDD. I always been very curious about MUDD but every time I want to try, I change my mind I would like to get to my goal weight before playing around. I think MUDD might be great for maintaining weight, but I am just not there yet.

Jenny or anyone else- did you have good success with MUDD? I wonder if you get the same benefits as you get with longer fasting periods of JUDD. I am sure you can lose weight on MUDD as the overall calories will be lower. What I am concerned about is that from day to day the difference between calories is not as great as with regular JUDD. For example using 1500/600 on regular JUDD, if I do MUDD one day would be 900 and next would be 1200, so only 300 calories difference on MUDD and 900 on JUDD. What are your thoughts?

My journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...l#post16865441
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 177/177/140
WOE: WOE - Exploring!
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
I would like to know if anyone has had the same success with this MUDDD style instead of the "standard" DD/UD. I have been trying to use the MUDDD format, starting my DD around 1 or 2 in the afternoon until 1 or 2 p.m. the next day. This works best with my lifestyle. So far in 4 weeks I have lost 3 pounds. Definitely no "whoosh" of weight loss. I have also been looking into the possibility that I am not eating my full calories on the UDs. Thank you!

Laura

Last edited by HomeWorkerMT; 10-30-2012 at 03:21 AM..
HomeWorkerMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/182/183 (173?)
WOE: JUDDD/CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
Also, isn't there supposed to be a 4 hour fasting period both after the DD and the UP? I'm wondering if this is pretty critical for it to work.
I might give this a try next month, but I'm curious to see how it work for others. I really don't see how it'd really be that much different than the regular UD/DD to our bodies. Maybe if there's a longer fasting period between?

Example:

Day One
6:00 pm - Start UD

Day Two
2:00 pm - End UD
2:00 - 6:00 pm FAST
6:00 pm - Start DD

Day Three
2:00 pm - End DD
2:00 - 6:00 pm FAST
6:00 pm - Start UD

Last edited by jenericstewart; 10-30-2012 at 06:17 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
The fasting period is shorter with MUDDD. I've seen over and over that it's a good way to maintain, but that it's hard to lose weight doing it that way. In essence, you're making the UDs less Up, and the DDs less Down, bringing the spread closer together, as well as shortening your fasting window. There's not a whole lot of difference (IMHO - and I could be wrong) between MUDDD and a general every-day-low-calorie diet.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I plotted out the times I typically eat and fast. I actually fast around 15 hours everyday (supper ends by 6pm, breakfast at 9am). Twisting it to make it MUDDD, with a 14 hour fast in there, I'd end up ending my DD by 9am, fasting all day, and starting my UD at 11pm. This would be the only way to shift my regular UD/DD regimen to a different time frame. I guess I'll stick with the original.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #12

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
The fasting period is shorter with MUDDD. I've seen over and over that it's a good way to maintain, but that it's hard to lose weight doing it that way. In essence, you're making the UDs less Up, and the DDs less Down, bringing the spread closer together, as well as shortening your fasting window. There's not a whole lot of difference (IMHO - and I could be wrong) between MUDDD and a general every-day-low-calorie diet.
I also agree. So much of our physical being and how it operates is controlled by our circadian rhythm, which in turn is fine-tuned to the pattern of light and darkness of lives. MUDDD will lower the calories of every rhythm period from an UD number and bring up the calories of every rhythm period from the DD number, so the result is that each 24-hour circadian rhythm period contains calorie nutrition at a lower than maintenance level... about in the range of a standard diet plan. Calories are reduced every day, but no day goes as low as a JUDDD Down Day. So this is basically *dieting* every day.

Some folks can lose weight by doing this. I didn't lose weight by eating low carb, so then did switch to *dieting* by cutting my calories every single day and did lose some initial weight that way before I found JUDDD.

For me, JUDDD was far more effective in bringing on weight loss, and I was thrilled to be able to lavishly enjoy the generous Up Days!

The pain of JUDDD only lasted until I learned how to eat on Down Days in a way that kept me feeling comfortably full from rising to bedtime with no hunger feelings at all. Easy Peasy. (I devised my DD plan of eating every single hour, tiny little 30-calorie mini-meals, and I've never had a hungry Down Day since!)

But we have folks here, working on weight loss with us, who do various things that aren't pure JUDDD, and all are absolutely welcome! And we wish weight loss success to everyone! Beyond JUDDD, our ultimate goal is always weight loss and increased abundant health, so we can all work together toward our goals.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
I plotted out the times I typically eat and fast. I actually fast around 15 hours everyday (supper ends by 6pm, breakfast at 9am). Twisting it to make it MUDDD, with a 14 hour fast in there, I'd end up ending my DD by 9am, fasting all day, and starting my UD at 11pm. This would be the only way to shift my regular UD/DD regimen to a different time frame. I guess I'll stick with the original.
Don't misconstrue what all can qualify as a fast..... On JUDDD, our typical fasting period is about 36 hours long!

Here's why: It is known that our bodies respond to *a few* calories during an extended period of time about the same as though that period was an absolute fast of no food at all. So our 500 calories or fewer Down Days don't break our fasting period. We can eat those few calories during our fast, and still be enjoying the physical benefits to our health from pure fasting, still be stimulating our SIRT1 skinny gene to activate, still be increasing our metabolism (studies now show that metabolism revs up on that first fasting day) and the whole host of health benefits of intermittent fasting. Still be losing weight!

This is the spread of hours that constitutes fasting on JUDDD, and how it comes to be such a long fast:

All night long after you've eaten your last on your UP Day.
All day long on your Down Day.
All night long after you've had your DD, while you're sleeping and until you first eat again on your Up Day.

So, your fasting period is one nighttime, one daytime, and another nighttime, all added together to become the approximate 36-hour long fasting period on JUDDD. Those few Down Day calories you ate during the DD period didn't break the effectiveness of this long fasting period! Woo Hoo!

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-30-2012 at 07:25 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I've used MUDD a couple of times to deal with two social events in the evening in a row--basically some intermittent fasting between dinners, with maybe a few calories during the day to tide me over--I basically didn't want to lose my JUDDD momentum but couldn't alternate properly--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I've used MUDD a couple of times to deal with two social events in the evening in a row--basically some intermittent fasting between dinners, with maybe a few calories during the day to tide me over--I basically didn't want to lose my JUDDD momentum but couldn't alternate properly--
I've done that in effect a few times too, basically making my day a MD and saving most of my calories for the evening banquet, and then keeping my Up/Down rotation going from there. Seemed to work just fine. If I cut my calories down every day, I seem to lose the momentum too, so know what you're referring to. I know there are a lot of folks who are successful with various plans that call for keeping calories down each day. I've not done WW, but think that plan calls for all days being lower too. (I think..)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Nancy,

I appreciate your taking the time to remind me of the science behind this diet. Thank you so much! You are one of the reasons I love this board and am so thankful I stumbled upon it.

I do, however, feel almost as though I'm conquering new territory because I haven't read of anyone who's lost 100 + lbs on this diet. Most people have just a handful of pounds to lose.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #17

I've lost 87+ pounds with JUDDD (so far) and WILL lose the next 20 pounds with JUDDD as well.

Leo41 lost 100 or more pounds with JUDDD. I'm going to link to a post I made when I first started.

Okay, here it is. I felt the same way, but mine was more directed at length of time on JUDDD, than on weight lost, but it still applies, I think.

Who has done JUDDD for longer than a year??

Last edited by KeirasMom; 10-30-2012 at 08:22 AM..
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Wait!! We have some big losers, right? Maybe not 100 yet but getting there.

Am I crazy?
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Oh, Dawn. We posted at the same time.

Yes, you are at least one shining example.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I've lost 87+ pounds with JUDDD (so far) and WILL lose the next 20 pounds with JUDDD as well.
You have been an inspiration to me!

Leo41... I will have to look her up.

Needless to say, there aren't many who've lost a LOT of weight on JUDDD. I'm just wondering if perhaps it'll quit working for me. I was BORN with a slow metabolism. At this point, I'll be absolutely thrilled if I can eventually maintain under the 200 mark, withOUT having to starve (been there, done that!). Time will tell.

Thanks.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 10-30-2012 at 08:28 AM..
Old 10-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Nancy,

I appreciate your taking the time to remind me of the science behind this diet. Thank you so much! You are one of the reasons I love this board and am so thankful I stumbled upon it.

I do, however, feel almost as though I'm conquering new territory because I haven't read of anyone who's lost 100 + lbs on this diet. Most people have just a handful of pounds to lose.
I have lost 46+ with JUDDD and know I will lose the next 30 with it too.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Look for Leo--she lost more than 100 pounds with JUDDD--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Nancy,

I agree with you that "Most people have just a handful of pounds to lose".. although I wish I'd been smart enough to gain control when I had only a handful of pounds to lose. LOL But the size of just how many pounds constitutes a handful probably varies too. Is 30 pounds just a handful? 50 pounds? 75 pounds? We've had folks lose those amounts and more on JUDDD.

As mentioned, Leo lost well over 100 pounds on JUDDD, and with a chronically sluggish slow metabolism to boot!

I don't mention my numbers but was plenty obese, and was able to lose while eating foods I adore and without having to say no to anything.

There are very, very few people who can't lose weight on JUDDD and that means losing the weight all the way to a slim and trim goal weight!!! When your calorie numbers are right, and then when you stick to them, success is almost assured. (Usually the JUDDD Calorie Calculator gives us the more-or-less correct calorie number for our Up Days, but do be aware that occasionally there is somebody who has to cut that UD number down quite a bit for themselves, individually, because they just don't have a metabolic burn rate that can manage that high of a calorie number. And sometimes when we are very, very overweight when we start JUDDD, that UD calorie number is giving us far too many calories based on too much body fat weight entering into the equation... But for most of us, that JUDDD Normal (Up Day) calorie number given is a good place to start.)

Sometimes it takes awhile to get going. While some folks start losing right from day one, others don't. Some of us even gain weight on the scale when we first start, mostly if we've added back in more carbs than we're used to eating previously, so water weight gain. It seems to take some of us awhile for JUDDD to heal what ails our bodies, and then the weight loss kicks in and we're on our way to new slender bodies!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sooz
Stats: 171.8/157.9/145 (5'6")
WOE: LC/IF
Start Date: Over and over and over
Quote:
........seen over and over that it's a good way to maintain, but that it's hard to lose weight doing it that way.

...... I've lost 87+ pounds with JUDDD (so far) and WILL lose the next 20 pounds with JUDDD as well. Leo41 lost 100 or more pounds with JUDDD.

I have been thinking about stepping into JUDDD officially and WOW... Dawn. You are my inspiration to do it! I've been investigating all morning and I agree that it doesn't look like MUDD is a way to lose. I could be wrong, but it appears that even the person who originally posted the idea a year ago hasn't found a great deal of success losing with MUDD.

I am at the end of my weight loss goals, but JUDDD seems like a good path to me at this point because not only is there clear evidence you can lose this way, I think I can mantain with JUDDD as well. I'm off to read more of your posts Dawn and Leo's as well.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I NEGU! Do you?
Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post

....I don't mention my numbers but was plenty obese, and was able to lose while eating foods I adore and without having to say no to anything.

.....Sometimes it takes awhile to get going. While some folks start losing right from day one, others don't. Some of us even gain weight on the scale when we first start
Pat: This is exactly why I think this will work for both weight loss and maintaining.

Thanks for the second statement here. It's helpful that you mention the possible weight gain. I tend to look short-term rather than long-term on this weight journey which is one of the reasons I have failed so miserably so often!

By the way, you look MARVELOUS!
Old 10-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Is 30 pounds just a handful? 50 pounds? 75 pounds?
Okay, maybe I should have said "massive amount".

Quote:

There are very, very few people who can't lose weight on JUDDD and that means losing the weight all the way to a slim and trim goal weight!!! When your calorie numbers are right, and then when you stick to them, success is almost assured.
This is very encouraging. I was the fattest girl in school all through elementary and high school. I gave up dieting 20 years ago after my third week on Optifast when the doctor who had my case told me I had to have been cheating because the scale didn't move. This was while I was aerobically exercising 5 hours per week. I'm not an "average" loser. If it can work for me, I suspect it can work for anybody.

Needless to say, I'm off to a good start and still excited.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 10-30-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #27

Quote:
You have been an inspiration to me!

Leo41... I will have to look her up.

Needless to say, there aren't many who've lost a LOT of weight on JUDDD. I'm just wondering if perhaps it'll quit working for me. I was BORN with a slow metabolism. At this point, I'll be absolutely thrilled if I can eventually maintain under the 200 mark, withOUT having to starve (been there, done that!). Time will tell.

Thanks.
I'm optimistic for you. If you give it a good chance, I think it will work, and you may be surprised at how well, considering you're really only "dieting" half the time. I lost well on it, and continue to lose well despite having been diagnosed hypothyroid in March. General consensus would make me think it would be really hard to lose with thyroid issues, but I just keep on trucking along. It's not always easy, and I have periods of faster loss and periods of slower loss, but the overall trend is down, and I couldn't be happier!

Leo has a genetically slow metabolism and had to lower her UD calories significantly from what the calculator gave her, but she's one of my big inspirations. She's amazing, has lost a lot of weight, and has maintained for a couple of years. I really recommend looking her up and reading her story. I do NOT, however, recommend lowering your calories just because it worked for her. Some of us stall if we go too far below what the calculator tells us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooz View Post
I have been thinking about stepping into JUDDD officially and WOW... Dawn. You are my inspiration to do it! I've been investigating all morning and I agree that it doesn't look like MUDD is a way to lose. I could be wrong, but it appears that even the person who originally posted the idea a year ago hasn't found a great deal of success losing with MUDD.

I am at the end of my weight loss goals, but JUDDD seems like a good path to me at this point because not only is there clear evidence you can lose this way, I think I can mantain with JUDDD as well. I'm off to read more of your posts Dawn and Leo's as well.
I think JUDDD is the best because maintenance is built right in. There will be a few tweaks needed to figure out your own personal maintenance numbers, but once that's working, it's easy-peasy, from all I've read. I can't wait to get there! You get to decide if you want higher DDs, or stick with lower DDs and have FDs (free days) instead of UDs, or any combination you can think of. How freeing!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

.....You get to decide if you want higher DDs, or stick with lower DDs and have FDs (free days) instead of UDs, or any combination you can think of. How freeing!
One of the things that has drawn me to JUDDD is the ability to customize it to the individual.... Because of course we ARE all different! I think I know how I want to do maintenance, but of course that could change once I get there!! But I agree that it will be freeing to be able to eat like my "natually" skinny friends and family once in a while and not feel like I am "cheating"! I think that "cheater" feeling is what drives me away from every diet plan I've ever tried!