Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
Advice please!

My teenager wanted to know about this crazy new diet I'm eating, lol - since I'm generally anti-diet, especially faddish stuff... I eat low carb as a general rule- initially several years ago to lose some weight, but since because the lower carb lifestyle helps my blood sugar, and it feels healthier, and she's always eaten that way because of her blood sugar, but I've always emphasized not to worry about calories because it's just important to eat healthy foods! And now I'm on a weird eat-this-today-and-that-tomorrow diet, and she's curious.
OK, so - we all have to admit that fasting every other day sounds faddish and a little scary, right? But I've done a bunch of research since I happened upon this board, and found all the stuff about how healthy it is for you, so I was telling her about the health benefits.. (no mention of the weight loss, since I don't want that to be the entire focus.) So she says, Wow, that sounds good! I want to do it too! My idea was just to let her eat the same foods I'm eating on down days, but increase her portions and add extra cheese, or some extra protein, etc so she's getting more calories, just not as many as she eats on the Up days... since she's eating my up day food, she'd be getting the benefits of up and down, even if she's not really going far down, right? She's already very slender, not an ounce of fat on her, and doesn't need to lose an eyelash's worth of weight..
What do you think?
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I don't see a problem with it. I would say go to the calculator and figure out what her higher end maintenance calories would be and make sure that she gets them all in. If she's active, be sure to choose the correct activity level for her. My little one has DD dinners with us and eats what we're eating but usually with some bread or rice to supplement, but she also eats breakfast and lunch at school and gets a snack at day care, so there's no worry of her not getting enough.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I confess

I cringe to see any girl who doesn't need to worry about her weight, start becoming obsessed with calorie counting and food, etc.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/192/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I don't necessarily think introducing her to it is a problem, especially if you teach her to intuitively eat like that every day, it might keep her thin all her life. However I would definitely make sure the calories are at high maintenance level not any sort of weight loss and focus more on the rotations (UP then Down) versus a very strict calorie count.

I have a friend who is a size 5. Tiny thing. She was asking what I was doing to lose weight and I told her. To my suprise she said she eats the exact same way and has all her life! I guess some people do it by nature and others have to figure it out the hard way.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, everyone - I wasn't intending to have her counting calories, she just wants to eat my food.. I figure that if I give her bigger portions and add fatty stuff to it on down days, she'll be OK - the idea of getting calorie counting into her head for dieting bugs me, but if this really IS a healthy way to live, it shouldn't be bad.. right?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Have her watch the Horizon special on YouTube. It explains the benefits and science very nicely.

Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Zib!