Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
What foods have you gotten out of your system on JUDDD?

When I started JUDDDing, I expected that I'd go crazy with cake and ice cream and candy. I worried that I might have pasta every other night. (I am an Italian girl, after all.) I thought I might eat my weight in fruit that I'd been denying myself.

So, it shocked me to discover that the food I seem to crave, and indulge, most on JUDDD is a burger.

This is such a surprise to me because I've been low-carbing on and off for about the past decade, so I never thought I'd been deprived of burgers. After all, I could have them without the bun. I could have them in a tortilla. I could have them broken up on a salad. But as it turns out, this was all theoretical. I once tried a burger in a lettuce wrap once and it was messy. I tried a burger on top of a salad, and wrinkled my nose. So I gave them up. I didn't think I missed them.

But oh, I did. There is apparently no substitute for a cheeseburger on a bun. I dream about burgers on DDs. And many up days this summer, I have indulged this craving with cookouts on our grill. I always fit burgers into my calorie counts. I've even experimented with different kinds of burgers and cheese and buns to get the healthiest burger that still satisfies my cravings. So, I don't feel guilty or bad about this.

I'm more amused at this compulsion. I have a feeling that a few more days of burgers and I might begin to calm down and crave other things. I think I'm getting the years of deprivation out of my system.

Meanwhile, I noticed that it has happened to some of the other things I craved. At first, I had chocolate almost every single Up Day. Now, sometimes I have chocolate. It's lost some of its power over me.

A real victory was my mother's traditional spicy tuna sauce over pasta--a trigger food for pretty much everyone in my family. We used to have this four, even five times a week when we were kids. And it's the kind of thing you can't stop eating until your stomach hurts. So I made it last week with great trepidation. I had it for two DDs in a row and then...I was fine with putting it in the freezer. That was a serious triumph for me!

So, I haven't managed to make myself sick of burgers yet, but I've fit so many foods into my WOE now instead of letting them derail me that I'm feeling like superwoman! What foods have you gotten out of your system?
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
I can't think of one because...
You are making my hungry talking about burgers!
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
i have been on JUDD since January and I eat what ever and cannot say I have any special foods i got out of my system!

But can you post this recipe please:

traditional spicy tuna sauce over pasta

Sounds like a winner!

Leona
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I was just going to jump in here to request the spicy tuna sauce recipe too! It sounds great.

I can't think of anything that I have got out of my system exactly.. I think I went overboard on some of the higher carb things on Up Days in the early weeks of my JUDDDing, but after awhile it all just becomes.. food. I mean, when nothing is OFF limits, there is so much to choose from, and since there is everything in the world to work in and enjoy now, nothing seems to hold top billing for very long.

It honestly doesn't take very long before you realize deep within you that you don't ever have to overdo it on anything again.. it will always be there for you, and you are freed to eat all those yummy things a bit more leisurely and without that desperate gorging yourself attitude from before. And that's when you seem to just naturally eat in a more portion controlled and balanced way, without effort.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
After three weeks on plan, I don't think I've gotten anything out of my system. But I *am* finding that there are many foods I don't want nearly as much as I imagined before.

UDs have been funny this last week. I'm getting really picky about what I spend my calories on, and will pass up bread and pastries most of the time--and that's the last thing I figured would happen. It's mostly about how I'll feel after I eat them.

And Saturday my son wanted to eat Mexican, which is usually one of my favorites. I did because he wanted to go, but I wasn't that impressed that night.

But I'm not taking any steps toward giving up ice cream or cheesecake yet.
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I was just going to jump in here to request the spicy tuna sauce recipe too! It sounds great.
Spicy Tuna Sauce

This sauce is best made with fresh basil and garlic. It's a flavorful red-sauce that goes perfectly with pasta, and calls out for a tangy romano cheese. Make it in a big batch, because it's addictive. If you have a family to feed, you might also want to add it to your Once-a-Month-Cooking repoitoire because it freezes beautifully. The most versatile aspect of this tuna sauce is that it's hard to ruin. If you put in more tuna, it will still come out fine. Too many cans of tomatoes? Just add a dash more spice. All you have is a bottled red sauce, and no tomatoes? Fine. This recipe can be thrown together with ingredients you have on hand, even if they're not the exact same ones called for. Best served on angel hair pasta, but can be served on fettucini or whatever else you have on hand.

Ingredient List
1 large onion (yellow or white is best)
2-3 cans of tuna in water, undrained
1/4 cup Frank's Hot Sauce (or similar pepper sauce)
3 cans of diced/crushed tomatoes, 14 oz. each
1 small can tomato paste (optional)
4 cloves garlic (I sometimes use more)
1 tbsp. olive oil
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped up (I grab a huge handful from my garden.)
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 cup romano or parmesan cheese

Directions
1. Chop onion
2. In a large sauce pot/pan, fry the onion in olive oil until translucent.
3. Mince garlic or use a garlic press to crush it into the olive oil and onion mixture. (I often use my magic bullet to chop it up.)
4. Add tuna and tuna water to the pot.
5. Tear up basil into small pieces, or chop with a knife
6. Add crushed tomatoes to the pot and bayleaf. Bring to a boil.
7. Add basil, cheese, and hot sauce to the pot.
8. Continue to simmer.
10. Add salt and pepper to the tuna sauce according to your personal taste. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently so that it doesn't burn.
11. Pour over pasta and serve. Sprinkle with extra parmesan. Will be even better the next day.

Last edited by stephdray; 09-03-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #7

Thanks, Steph! It sounds delicious and easy to put together. I've never heard of it before but will certainly make it!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlamp10 View Post
UDs have been funny this last week. I'm getting really picky about what I spend my calories on, and will pass up bread and pastries most of the time--and that's the last thing I figured would happen.
Oh, this happened to me too, especially very early on in JUDDD. There was no flipping way I was going to spend a single calorie on an Up Day on anything that didn't delight every part of me.

It's a lovely side-effect.

At the moment, I can't seem to get enough burgers, but I presume that in a week or so I will make room in my life for other things, like sushi.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Oh, this happened to me too, especially very early on in JUDDD. There was no flipping way I was going to spend a single calorie on an Up Day on anything that didn't delight every part of me.

It's a lovely side-effect.

At the moment, I can't seem to get enough burgers, but I presume that in a week or so I will make room in my life for other things, like sushi.
Whatever you little heart desires, Steph. That's the beauty of this. If you do those DDs, the UDs will allow you to enjoy whatever delights you want the most at the moment. You can eat seasonally. You can enjoy the specialties and flavors of all the Holidays around the year. You can eat old childhood favorites and new delights you've never tried before.

And be getting slim while you do it. And remain slim while you continue. Who'd a thunk?

Last edited by SoHappy; 09-03-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Old 09-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
[QUOTE=SoHappy;15918948]Whatever you little heart desires, Steph. That's the beauty of this. If you do those DDs, the UDs will allow you to enjoy whatever delights you the most at the moment. You can eat seasonally. You can enjoy the specialties and flavors of all the Holidays around the year. You can eat old childhood favorites and new delights you've never tried before.
QUOTE]

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE HOLIDAYS! I don't think I've ever said that on any other diet before this one. Just the idea that I can have the treats every other day if I want blows my mind...
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Dieting last year I pretty much gave up potatoes and pasta. They were trigger foods for me as well as high calorie so I just did without. Fast forward to starting JUDDD this year and now that I can have them I rarely do. They used to be a huge part of my diet and I honestly do not miss them.

I tend to find something that really satisfies me and eat it often.....currently it's burgers for me too. I have one at least once a week. On a bun, with cheese. Bacon sometimes too.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #12

[quote=marlamp10;15918974]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Whatever you little heart desires, Steph. That's the beauty of this. If you do those DDs, the UDs will allow you to enjoy whatever delights you the most at the moment. You can eat seasonally. You can enjoy the specialties and flavors of all the Holidays around the year. You can eat old childhood favorites and new delights you've never tried before.
QUOTE]

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE HOLIDAYS! I don't think I've ever said that on any other diet before this one. Just the idea that I can have the treats every other day if I want blows my mind...
If you can stick to your UD calorie number without going over (too much or too often LOL) you can be using JUDDD as a weight loss diet plan at the same time you are enjoying some lovely foods.. successfully.

And if you can continue to practice the rotations of JUDDD in your maintenance after you're to the weight you want to live at, you will be eating at a little higher calorie level then, and it makes it all a little easier and more fun as well.

Just figure your calories. And respect your calorie ceiling numbers. And it all takes care of itself.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #13

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I thought it would be chips for me, but as has been mentioned above, I rarely want them. I think I've had potato chips two or three times since starting JUDDD in December! That's huge for me. I do have tortilla chips and salsa when we go out for Mexican food, but just a few and I'm good.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #14
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
None that I've gotten out of my system, but because nothing is off limits, I don't eat things like watermelon, tortilla chips or pasta like it's my last meal on earth
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
None that I've gotten out of my system, but because nothing is off limits, I don't eat things like watermelon, tortilla chips or pasta like it's my last meal on earth
Yes, that!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
My regular "diet" was already pretty entrenched in clean eating, but I do notice I really crave foods that are good for me..like the foods that are highest in the elements I am deficient in to heal health issues.

Down day today with an organic peach, some chickpeas, cucumber I grew, and some spicy veggie conglomeration with black shirataki and wild shrimp for dinner. Maybe sea-salted cantaloupe for dessert.

That said- I caved on my birthday and ate a single slice of french toast at a bakery with my sister. AND I am still trying to recover. It ruined the whole weekend with tummy issues, bloat and misery. Non organic and godonlyknows what was in it, plus it spiked my weight two pounds that have not come off despite barely eating.
Sometimes we have to re-learn life lessons, even as an old lady
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/212/180
I'm on my 3rd week, and I haven't gotten any food out of my system yet. I do find that my down days I don't have cravings and keep the eating down...but once the up days come around, I'm focused on eating as much "goodie food" as I can get my hands on--sometimes going over my calorie limit--I did that over the weekend and feel pretty guilty about it. Too bad that guilt didn't set in until this morning, when I stepped on the scale.

The first two weeks were easy--almost TOO easy. Now it seems like I've unleashed a monster that comes out on my up days. I'm hoping I can tame it soon, because I'm not making much progress.
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I still have issues with sweets, but it's becoming less and less, I think. The fact that my birthday cake didn't get eaten in 2 days flat, but actually lasted almost 2 weeks in the freezer, is a huge accomplishment for me.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brewstate
Stats: 238/152/129
WOE: LC JUDDD (started at 190)
Start Date: April 15, 2009
I think JUDDD is really helping me with my sugar addiction. A while ago I could not have ingredients like flour, butter, sugar (or splenda), oats etc in the house at the same time because I would make delicious cookies. I could have flour, I could have butter etc, but I couldn't have them all at the same time Even when I switched to low carb, I just changed my poisons. I would make almond flour cookies with butter and splenda and they were just as caloretic and addicting. Now horribly tempting supplies sit in my cabinet (including every single ingredient for Death by Chocolate cake ) and I don't touch them. Sometimes I think about them on my DD's but they lose their appeal by the time my UD comes around. I COULD have them and I'm sure someday I will but the need has lost its urgency.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxy1971 View Post
I'm on my 3rd week, and I haven't gotten any food out of my system yet. I do find that my down days I don't have cravings and keep the eating down...but once the up days come around, I'm focused on eating as much "goodie food" as I can get my hands on--sometimes going over my calorie limit--I did that over the weekend and feel pretty guilty about it. Too bad that guilt didn't set in until this morning, when I stepped on the scale.

The first two weeks were easy--almost TOO easy. Now it seems like I've unleashed a monster that comes out on my up days. I'm hoping I can tame it soon, because I'm not making much progress.
I'm confident that you will tame it. Somewhere around the fourth week for me, I had a binge in which I inhaled an entire loaf of bread. I couldn't stop. Part of it was confidence, cravings, and of course, the guile of some awesome bread. I felt sick and was pretty furious with myself the next day. But it came off relatively quickly and in the next few weeks my mind started changing about such things. I'm kind of glad it happened. I got it out of my system.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
I still have issues with sweets, but it's becoming less and less, I think. The fact that my birthday cake didn't get eaten in 2 days flat, but actually lasted almost 2 weeks in the freezer, is a huge accomplishment for me.
Nice!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstate View Post
I think JUDDD is really helping me with my sugar addiction. A while ago I could not have ingredients like flour, butter, sugar (or splenda), oats etc in the house at the same time because I would make delicious cookies. I could have flour, I could have butter etc, but I couldn't have them all at the same time Even when I switched to low carb, I just changed my poisons. I would make almond flour cookies with butter and splenda and they were just as caloretic and addicting. Now horribly tempting supplies sit in my cabinet (including every single ingredient for Death by Chocolate cake ) and I don't touch them. Sometimes I think about them on my DD's but they lose their appeal by the time my UD comes around. I COULD have them and I'm sure someday I will but the need has lost its urgency.
I relate to this so much. When I switched to Low Carb, I just changed my poisons. While other low carbers reported a loss of appetite, I was inhaling thousands of calories of steak and butter. I learned to substitute for things I couldn't have, and overindulged in them because I couldn't have what I really wanted.

Something about being allowed to have whatever I want is actually making a huge change in me.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
I relate to this so much. When I switched to Low Carb, I just changed my poisons. While other low carbers reported a loss of appetite, I was inhaling thousands of calories of steak and butter. I learned to substitute for things I couldn't have, and overindulged in them because I couldn't have what I really wanted.

Something about being allowed to have whatever I want is actually making a huge change in me.
I found this with low carb as well. I just found ways around not eating bread, sweets, etc, and in the end, it didn't serve me well. I can cut way down on that stuff, but eliminating entirely was impossible for me. My cravings never went away and became unbearable. I am also one who is hungry on every diet when everyone else is not hungry. Burns my britches!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #24

Gallery: toomuchbooty
Just piping in to say we had homemade cheeseburgers twice last week and my weight still went down! We even had hot fudge sundaes to wash the burgers down.
toomuchbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchbooty View Post
Just piping in to say we had homemade cheeseburgers twice last week and my weight still went down! We even had hot fudge sundaes to wash the burgers down.
Yesterday at our Labor Day cookout, my husband took a big bite of his burger then he grinned at our guests and said, "We're dieting."
Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Yesterday at our Labor Day cookout, my husband took a big bite of his burger then he grinned at our guests and said, "We're dieting."
Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
that is funny! I do remember craving and eating lots of great food in the first few months of JUDDD(ok, I still am). I especially enjoyed saving all of my UD calories and going out to a restaurant and actually ordering what I wanted instead of what fit into my diet plan. It took me a little while to figure out what I really wanted and apparently it was fish tacos. I find this kind of funny since I could have had them on low carb! I think for me the problem was that I kept trying to tell myself which foods I liked (the ones on whatever eating plan I was on) instead of thinking about which foods I like. This left me more than a little disconnected from my food preferences. Knowing what I really want has been an amazing motivator for me on JUDDD as I can easily pass on a lot of food if I know I can have what I really want either today or tomorrow. Sort of surprising for me was that what I really want has turned out to be much healthier than I would have guessed if not always caloricly low.
Thanks for the recipe! I am going to try it after a few more fish tacos...
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Am I in the minority? I'm enjoying adding things *back* to my menu. Specifically carby things (caveat coming, wait a sec).

Here's what's changed-- I've done LC for so long, and I truly believe it's healthier than white sugar, white flour, etc.

So what have I added back?

-- a couple times a week, I have a "multigrain O" cereal-- my grocery store makes their own line that is higher in fiber than the original version. I have it with almond milk, and I'm very, very happy.

-- once a week or so, I have some popcorn. Sometimes microwave 100cal bag, sometime air popped and topped with hot sauce (yes, they get a bit soggy, but it's still really good).

--maybe 1x a month, b/c WOW is it highly caloric, I go for Dreamfields pasta (and I did a comparison, and the whole wheat, or quinoa, etc, pastas? totally the same carbs as white pasta ) with some butter, tuna, and parm.

I guess you could say that I've gotten sugar-sweets out of my system. If I indulge, it's in 85% chocolate, or maybe a bit of SF chocolate (though it always upsets my stomach... ). But I'm not sucking on lollypops, downing brownies, baking cakes and eating them.

The moderation fairies have visited my brain! I think that's the most amazing thing for me
JUDDD

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #29

Gallery: toomuchbooty
It seemed appropriate to share these here. These are sculptures that happen to live in my house. My boyfriend made them. It's pretty hard not to think about burgers when you see them every day.

toomuchbooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
I am always craving Mexican food, so to be able to eat it and still be dieting is amazing! I would definitely not say that it is out of my system though. I think I have changed on how I eat out though because I don't feel like I have to stuff my face with every last chip with guac knowing that it will be forever before I eat there again.

One thing I would say I have gotten out of my system is cheap snack foods. I hadn't had a twinkie since probably grade school and decided to buy a pack at the grocery store just because I could. UGH! Talk about processed oily junk. It was a waste, but I consider it a lesson learned.