Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dee1904
WOE: JUDD
I Can't Get It Together

So I would have showed a loss this week of maybe 10 pounds plus but I pigged out over the weekend and am now up. Why can't I stick to this or anything?

I have been dieting since I was in the 5th grade. Of course back then I only had 20 pounds or so to lose and now over 100.

The lowest I got down to was 180 in April but after visits from family in April and May I just was bummed out and ate my way back up to 220. Seems like a number I just can't get away from.

I am just so tired of this and want to be a normal weight but with slow sales at work and stress from that, wanting to buy a house but can't afford something decent, etc, food is really my only comfort.

I just have no financial security or stability or hope really that things will change and get better.

Plus with the holidays coming up it is all just so depressing. I mean it is food fest from Halloween until Christmas.
Dee1904 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
big hug

I'm not sure what advice to give just take one day at a time. JUDDD is very forgiving. We all have those days that get away from us.
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Dee!

Every time I feel overwhelmed and start to reach for a snack (or a meal, or the entire pantry) I say, out loud, "Eating never actually made me feel better. What I eat right now - whether I eat right now - is practically the only thing in my life I have complete control over. I refuse to lose that."

I encourage you to invent your own mantra...or use mine. So far, it works.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AlieKatt
Stats: 272/229.8/150
WOE: Low carb, moderate protein, high fat
Start Date: July 2012
No more dieting. This is a way of life for us unfortunately. I too have been and may be where you are today again. I treat this issue like an addict does drugs or alcohol.
I prepare all meals ahead of time, I prepare lots of sweet treats and have them ready at any given time when I start eating emotionally.
I PROMISE YOU THAT YOU CAN GET THROUGH THE HOLIDAYS!
I have some amazing lc recipes for pumpkin pie, potatoe, etc.

Its not how many times you fall of the horse that defines you - its how many times you get back up!!

Keep coming back here- EVERY DAY AND OFTEN.

Hugs you,
A

Last edited by AlieKatt; 09-03-2012 at 11:42 AM..
AlieKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/220.4.0/140
Start Date: JUDDD start 08/09/12 at 238
{{{Dee}}}

It's just a weekend, not the rest of your life. And I'm just saying that because I have to remind MYSELF of that all the time. Whatever you did this weekend will be gone in a few days of good rotations, then you'll be back on losing train again.

A few months ago, when Ray Bradbury died, someone posted this quote of his (about writing), and when I read it, it hit me so hard that this is exactly the way I need to think about turning around my weight and health:

"I don’t believe in optimism. I believe in optimal behavior. That's a different thing ... Action is hope. At the end of each day, when you’ve done your work, you lie there and think, Well, I’ll be **** , I did this today. It doesn’t matter how good it is, or how bad - you did it. At the end of the week you’ll have a certain amount of accumulation. At the end of a year, you look back and say, I'll be **** , it's been a good year." --Ray Bradbury, R.I.P.

It doesn't matter if we have some bad days. What matters is that we put together more good ones than bad ones. In the end, it all shakes out.

Hang in there... when's your next DD?
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Just stay with the rotations and this will be but a blip on the radar. Not to sound preachy, because we have all been there but someone, somewhere once posted a quote that has stuck with me in times like this, maybe it will help you too -- "If hunger is not the problem, then food is not the solution". I wish I knew who to credit because it surely has helped me get perspective (and a grip!) a number of times.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Hey, it sounds like you just "re-started" this week (Can't Do JUDD So I Modified It), AND it was a holiday weekend...sometimes it takes a little while to get into the swing of things! Also, Halloween is almost 8 weeks away...that seems like plenty of time to make and stick to some real changes, if you want to.

I'm sorry you feel depressed, and
Quote:
I just have no financial security or stability or hope really that things will change and get better.
I know exactly how you feel. I can't even fathom how I will get out of the hole of bankruptcy, foreclosure and poverty that we are in; even a "good" job--IF I COULD GET ONE!!!--would not be enough for a fresh start.

But, you were on track to lose 10lbs in one week?!!!
That sounds like a darn good week; even if some or *all*of it's back on, it can't possibly be all fat, and will probably come right back off if you get back on plan soon!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I had to take a blind leap of faith and just commit myself to giving JUDDD a try. It is very true that if hunger is not the issue food won't fix it. The stress will still be there after you eat and then you will be stressed and possibly frustated about over eating.

Instead of reaching for a snack... move a muscle... change a thought. Get up and take a walk or do the laundy. Read a book or watch a movie. I find that hunger always passes in no more than 20 minutes. Especially if your not actually hungry, but it still pass quickly even if you are a bit hungry, which you may be on your first few DDs.

Believe that you can do this and act as if until you truly know you can.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
Stock up on some non-candy treats so you know you are already set for Halloween visitors and you can ignore the displays of Frankenstein and Wolfman. Having a neighbor child with diabetes taught me that children are delighted to receive little bags holding sugarless gum, pencils, stickers, small toys, etc. If you can put Halloween responsibility thoughts "to bed" that gives you an additional 4 weeks before food takes over a holiday, LOL. Cross the Thanksgiving bridge when you come to it.

I agree with Jenny that you haven't even gotten past the first hurdle with your new plan yet, give it time. Or, if you think this experience is showing you that you aren't ready to tweak yet, go back to basics for a while, with maybe the shakes Dr. Johnson suggests for DDs at first, that sort of thing.

Hugs to you, Dee. You're a bright person and you can figure this out. If you are looking at the scale after a UUAAD, remember a lot of what that number says is sodium-caused water retention that is already leaving. Best wishes.

marlamp, great Bradbury quote.

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlamp10 View Post
{{{Dee}}}

It's just a weekend, not the rest of your life.
Amen. This isn't a month long binge doing tons of damage--this is just a weekend. Do a down day. Your weight loss won't be as fast, but it will be consistent. I think that's what gets us into this trouble. This perfectionism of ours--this feeling that screwing up on a diet is the end of the flipping world.

You can't promise not to fall off the wagon. You can just promise yourself to get back on!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tooraloora
Stats: 222/150.7/139
WOE: 2003 calorie counting + ex./ 2012 Aug 25: JUDD
Marlamp... LOVE that Ray Bradbury quote. thank you!!!!

And Dee... get up one more time than you fall down... I dieted unsuccessfully from age 18 to age 39... and then finally lost 90 lbs. I made some mistakes in not keeping all of it off, also with life stressors (regained 35)... and I am back in the saddle. hang in!
tooraloora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Quote:
Having a neighbor child with diabetes taught me that children are delighted to receive little bags holding sugarless gum, pencils, stickers, small toys, etc.
Just no toothbrushes, okay?

Last year, a friend of mine told me that he forgot to buy candy, so he handed out those packages of soy sauce & duck sauce that you get with Chinese take-out!!!
I bet they won't be bothering HIM again this year!!!

(I know this is silly; just hoping it will cheer you up a little. )
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Just no toothbrushes, okay?

Last year, a friend of mine told me that he forgot to buy candy, so he handed out those packages of soy sauce & duck sauce that you get with Chinese take-out!!!
I bet they won't be bothering HIM again this year!!!

(I know this is silly; just hoping it will cheer you up a little. )
We live in a huge apartment building and for the last 3 years had not a single trick or treater. I will put a bunch of dimes and quarters in a big orange bowl and drop those in the bags if any kids come by some bizarre chance. My co-workers will kill me if I bring 3 pounds of candy to work on November 1st again!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. Today was supposed to be a DD but wasn't. Tomorrow will be a DD and I will start again. I guess I can either keep trying or just give up and keep gaining. I just get so depressed thinking about how I was 180 and now have to work to get back down to that.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
I vote for keep going.
One day at a time. I hope for a great DD for you.
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: 150?/?/135 52yo
WOE: JUDDDish
Brain Over Binge. Great book if you're so inclined.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Brain Over Binge. Great book if you're so inclined.
I agree. It does help put your thoughts in perspective.

Take it one day at a time. I know how it is to feel out of control. Sometimes I take it one hour at a time. If you stick with it as best you can, it will get easier. I promise. It has for me. It's not perfect by any means, but you need to let go of that. If your friend had this issue, wouldn't you tell them to stop being so hard on themselves? Wouldn't you just want to hug them and tell them it'll be ok? Why can't we ever give ourselves that kind of treatment? Why are we so hard on ourselves? Don't be. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and remember that you can do this.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/211/180
Start Date: Restart 1-18-14
Hi Dee,

I did the same exact thing this weekend. It seems that once I see a loss, and it appears to be working well, I sabotage myself. I think in my case, I start to feel comfortable and confident with the loss that I assume that it's ok to "pig out". I'm still new to this lifestyle, but I'm learning that those kind of things happen--it's not the worse thing that can happen--the worse thing would be to not confront the issue, and continue on that path. We just need to stop for a minute....forgive ourselves....and get back on the rotation. Looking at the "old timers" here....(and I mean that in the most loving way ), losing a weekend's worth of "pigging out" weight happens quite easily.

Let's not think of the holidays coming as a food fest--it's like you're setting yourself up for sabotage. Believe me, I know how HARD this can be sometimes....but it sure helps for me to come on here and read all the victories that we have every day. There is an "all you can eat buffet" of support here--I go back for seconds...and thirds daily.

Today is a NEW day! We're all here for ya!

Last edited by Saxy1971; 09-04-2012 at 09:07 AM..
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Almost completed my DD yesterday but overate on some cheese due to some house buying stress. Even planned out what junk I could buy today and pig out on. But as of this morning those feelings have passed. Today is UD and tomorrow a moderate day. I will keep trying.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
That is the attitude, Dee, keep on, keeping on.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee1904 View Post
Almost completed my DD yesterday but overate on some cheese due to some house buying stress. Even planned out what junk I could buy today and pig out on. But as of this morning those feelings have passed. Today is UD and tomorrow a moderate day. I will keep trying.
If you sincerely keep trying, I would put my money on your eventual success!

I could do some days OK when I started, but so, so, so many of them went over on DDs in the end. It would look good, like I was going to make it, and I could report my successful 500-calorie Down Day, and then I'd give in somehow. But anymore, it's pretty darned easy.

I think one of the biggest things is to just keep trying, trying harder, trying without letting yourself off the hook. Forgiveness, but not permission. You know what I mean?

So you are trying for a DD of 500 calories, but you blow it. Just don't let that be a reason to blow it even more! Going over by 100 calories, or going over by 200 calories can still make this thing work for you. Even going over by quite a bit more than 200 calories can still be lowering your calories overall if you don't overdo every single day like that. Blowing it completely sometimes can still be forgiven by JUDDD.

But going over and then throwing in the towel and giving yourself the mindset that you may as well just eat since the whole DD is ruined is where you will fail yourself. Keep trying. Keep working on it. Search out those foods that satisfy you the best on your Down Days. And never stop aiming for beautiful, clean, perfect Down Days. And it won't be long before they'll work for you too, and then you'll be turning on your SIRT-1 help, and it's all downhill for you then. Downhill, as in down in bodyfat, down in scale weight, and down in clothing sizes! Woo Hoo!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
If you sincerely keep trying, I would put my money on your eventual success!

I could do some days OK when I started, but so, so, so many of them went over on DDs in the end. It would look good, like I was going to make it, and I could report my successful 500-calorie Down Day, and then I'd give in somehow. But anymore, it's pretty darned easy.

I think one of the biggest things is to just keep trying, trying harder, trying without letting yourself off the hook. Forgiveness, but not permission. You know what I mean?

So you are trying for a DD of 500 calories, but you blow it. Just don't let that be a reason to blow it even more! Going over by 100 calories, or going over by 200 calories can still make this thing work for you. Even going over by quite a bit more than 200 calories can still be lowering your calories overall if you don't overdo every single day like that. Blowing it completely sometimes can still be forgiven by JUDDD.

But going over and then throwing in the towel and giving yourself the mindset that you may as well just eat since the whole DD is ruined is where you will fail yourself. Keep trying. Keep working on it. Search out those foods that satisfy you the best on your Down Days. And never stop aiming for beautiful, clean, perfect Down Days. And it won't be long before they'll work for you too, and then you'll be turning on your SIRT-1 help, and it's all downhill for you then. Downhill, as in down in bodyfat, down in scale weight, and down in clothing sizes! Woo Hoo!

Listen to Pat!!!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Wow great posts!

Sorry you are hurting and feeling defeated. You're only defeated and this is only the end of the story if you refuse to rise and fight another day. If you are willing to stand and fight again, the end of the war is far from being written.

Each failed step is an opportunity to learn and grow. It snatches dispair from the jaws of defeat and turns it into a positive.

If I had quit all the times I lost a skirmish with my addled self, I would still weigh 320lbs or worse. I would have Stage IV breast cancer and would in all likelihood be in hospice right now. I have fallen. Fallen hard. And there's nothing unusual about me. If I can do it, each of you can do it. I'm just a girl with deep inclinations and relationships with food. Some ordered, some disordered. But each day on this earth is an opportunity to refine what we know to be true and distill it to purity.

The first thing to do is find a way you like. I like JUDDD. I do an LC version. Then I played mind games. I tell myself I can eat anything on the face of the earth, the next day. I generally don't want it the next day. So meh, I move on. But it get's me past a tight spot. The second thing to do is to have a plan. Learn to cook. Learn to make satisfying down day meals. SoHappy has some awesome posts about this where she put together all these 100cal choices of things. You could literally eat all day long on 500 cals if you're crafty and careful.

Learn to cook. If carbs set you off, drop em. Know your triggers. Chances are you already know them.

The last thing...it's big. Get real. Decide if you want to lose or not. If not, don't do it. You will beat yourself black and blue and feel defeat. No one needs that. Do it at a time when you are mentally ready to rock n roll. If you do want to lose, learn to cook. Learn your limits and take no prisoners.

Trust me. Life is short. If you take a detour, so what? You took a detour. The beatings must stop. That may become my motto. The beatings must stop. Immediately. Life is too short.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
I've been at this quite some time.....and still benefit from Pat's wisdom. It never gets old.

Wow, Pooticus, wonderful powerful words from you as well.

Last edited by gotitnow; 09-05-2012 at 07:37 PM..
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Well said, Poot.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandc90
Wow, so much wisdom here.

Dee, I want to say how much I appreciate your opening up as I've benefited greatly from the responses to your post. I too am under a great deal of stress and pigged out yesterday and was feeling like throwing in the towel today. I'd lost down to 160 last year, went off my diet over the holidays and packed it all back on up to 202 as of last week. And here it is, time for the holidays again. I do know just how you feel.

JoyJoy, thank you for recommending that book. I'm daring to get my hopes up and have it waiting for me on my Kindle.
tandc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Tandc90, dare to get your hopes up. That's half the trip right there.
The other half is gathering simple, happy tools to take you where you're going. JUDDD is one of those for me. So was this book, which was a life-saver when it came to finding my way through my UUADs.
Whatever your goal is, be patient and persistent. And have a little faith.
We're all in this together.
Let me know what you think of the book.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

It's really easy to have faith when it's all going well, right? And I'm all for easy rides.
But some of the best stories come from what happens when we're down and out and then the fat hits the fan, if you know what I mean.
You will fall in love with this board and its band of Bravehearts if you haven't already. We've all been there.