Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
Interested in JUDDD

I'm new to all these fancy new plans, lol - back in 'my day' it was just low carb, and lower carb, lol! Reading about JUDDD & I'm really interested! I haven't EVER counted calories though - I'm completely ignorant as to what foods (in general) are low calorie. Veggies? I could eat vegetarian every other day with no problem.. Probably no cheese or dairy or fat, right? Could anyone give a low-carb menu sample for a down day? Thank you!
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Well my DD is super LC
B - 2 eggs with 1 T SF preserves, coffee with HWC (210)
L - thin sliced turkey (3 slices) wrapped around a split pickle spear (85)
D - HB egg (75)

BUT you can eat anything you want just as long as you count calories. My UD's are anything BUT LC.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

And it really works? Sounds great, but hard to believe.. Not to be skeptical, but... sounds almost too good to be true..
Old 09-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

And - trying to get my head around calorie counting vs. carb counting - I don't even know where to start! LOL
Old 09-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
And a down day for me might be

1/2 apple
large tossed salad with tuna
baked potato with bell pepper and light sour cream

And then like adi, my up day will be literally anything I want.

Check out the "WHAT IS JUDDD, COME INSIDE AND SEE" thread that is a sticky at the top of the forum. Also consider reading Dr. Johnson's book "The Alternate Day Diet".
Whitlin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbinca View Post
And it really works? Sounds great, but hard to believe.. Not to be skeptical, but... sounds almost too good to be true..
Well, I have lost 32 pounds eating this way so I guess you could say it works.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Awesome!!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Also about 30 pounds here, too, since the first of June...my DD's normally are

B. 1/2 cup egg beaters (50 cals). some other protein (thin slice ham, turkey bacon, for another 50 cals), crystal light...if I'm really hungry I'll throw in a LC english muffin, or toast) coffee, black....I used to drink mine with cream, and I still do on up days.

s. a couple celery sticks, baby carrots, maybe a glass of tomato juice (one server brings me 4 small olives, too) this is about 75 cals, or so

S. protein (chicken or turkey breast, about 40 cals per ounce), in a salad with a mix of veggies, or in broth as a soup with veggies, or a cooked dish with about a cup of sliced cabbage, laughing cow cheese..a popular JUDDD dish.

sometimes I have enough calories I can have a Fiber One brownie for a night snack with my cup of tea

and water, water, water, all day

I use ****** online as my calorie counter....keeps me honest with daily reporting.

I've been a low carber for years but got tired of losing the same 10 pounds and regaining them...found JUDDD and know I've found the way of eating I can live with for the rest of my life...plus, we are learning there are a lot of other benefits to the woe in addition to the weight loss...people are losing a looooooot of weight AND keeping it off for years....

C'mon in, the water's fine....

BTW, where in SoCal? I'm near Riverside....

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 09-02-2012 at 07:29 PM..
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
My average DD is like

B - coffee with cream (40)
L - Wendy's small chili (210)
D - 3 oz tuna w/1 tbs lowfat mayo (125)
S - 1 Laughing Cow wedge w/ 2 Wasa Fiber Crispbread (105)

Total: 480

I tend to stay lowcarb on DD mostly because the protein keeps me happy for relatively few calories.

Calorie counting is as easy as carb counting. I use an online tracker so that i can easily log and count calories on my phone. It also lets me see a quick snapshot of carbs and fiber if I'm trying to keep an eye on it.
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
How do you start? You start with measuring cups and spoons, a kitchen scale, and reading labels. You start by training yourself to weigh and measure and keep track of everything you ear. If you are coming from LC, you start by being horrified when you realize just how many calories you have been eating.

I think it is a really, really good idea to plan your daily menu. Begin by planning your biggest meal of the day. Allocate enough calories and volume to feel satisfied. Then, allocate the remaining calories over the rest of the day.

Go to Dr J's website and write down your DD calories at 20% and 35%. Aim for whatever seems right to you within that range. Then, have food planned so you can go up to 35% if you need to. My rule is I never, never let myself get weak and shaky from hunger - sometimes two bites of baked chicken or a small, barely dressed salad is all it takes to feel full.

You start by studying the DD Menus thread and planning, planning, planning. It quickly becomes second nature and nbd.

My usual 400 calorie DD menu:
Breakfast - 40 calories of hwc in coffee. That is figuring 1 teaspoon of hwc = 20 cals. I literally measure 1 t at a time.
Lunch - a smoothie made using up to 100 calories of fresh veggies + 20 cals of coconut water (1/2 cup measured)
Snack - up to 40 calories of hwc in coffee
Dinner - 100 calories of protein, usually fish 'cause I like fish, which is on average about 3 ounces uncooked (how do you know? you look up calories by weight) + 100 calories of veggies, refined carbs, fruit, chocolate whatever

If I am hungry, I add protein and/or salad and/or another veggie smoothie and/or a few crackers in 50 calorie increments. But, it turns out I am only a big eater when I am in a social setting with my foodie friends...I schedule those feasts on UDs.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetlady2k
Stats: 194/152.5/145 5ft 10
WOE: atkins and JUDDD now HCG
Start Date: June 28, 2012 R1 HCG 11/5/12 goal 165
Locarbinca I also am doing Low carb and juddd. I work long hours so I wait on my down day and typically eat a lean protein usually 3 or 4 oz. And a salad or veggie. It feels like I had a regular meal. We grill alot so I have alot of grilled chicken. I eat a big salad and mix the meat with it and usually I have enough calories to have cheese and good dressing too. On updays I eat anything as long as I hit my calories I lose. I do 500/2000.
sweetlady2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

OK, I'm sold - and you know why? I've been remembering, and the 1st time I did low-carb, I was on Atkins 72 Induction for months. I lost well and regularly, and when I got close to my goal weight I started getting kind of froggy.. and having cheat days. Despite the cheat days, I kept losing - and it seemed like the more cheat days I had, if I went right back to 72 the next day (I never eat much on '72, since I'm just not hungry), the more weight I lost. I was losing half a pound to a pound a day by the time I was having a cheat day about every other day - and getting a little scared because the weight was coming off so fast, so I started eating whatever I wanted (minus sugar) whenever I wanted, and then I evened out, but - it sounds very much like the same sort of thing. Just a lot more careful. So, I'm going to need a lot of hand-holding here, I have never counted a calorie in my life! My intuition says I should just be able to go veggie on DD and eat salads and low-cal grilled veggies, and as long as I avoid fatty stuff I should be OK, does that sound right? Or do I have to count every slice of cucumber?
On Up days, do I actually have to hit that top number, or can I just eat what I want in the upper-calorie range? Like add a bunch of cheese to my omelet or fry my eggs in butter, etc? Yes, I know, it's annoying when someone comes in and says 'The plan sounds great, can I do it my way instead of the RIGHT way' lol - but I really and truly hate counting anything. When I low-carb, I no-carb, just because it's easier to eat no carbs than count everything that goes in my mouth.
Another question - is there any research (or experimenting) with 2 dd and then 1 ud?
I've been doing Atkins 72 for the past 4 days, and had virtually no appetite because of it.. I'm going to venture into calorie counting land, and try to figure it out:
breakfast: 2 egg yolks fried in butter: 100 calories?
snack: 1 hb egg: 75 calories?
lunch: 1/4 cup browned ground beef: 85 calories: 1 tablespoon mayo = 100 calories!!
Dinner: same as lunch
So, I'd approximate something like <600 calories, maybe?
Anyway, since I've been eating pretty low for the last several days, I thought I'd try an Up day today. Made a big cheesy omelet for breakfast, to get a head start, and going out to get some ricotta & make a big veggie/hamburger no-noodle lasagna for lunch/dinner. If I truly need to hit the 1800 calorie mark, do you have any suggestions for getting the extra calories in?

Thanks to everyone for all your support!!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
How to do the least counting

If you hate calorie counting, then you can probably follow JUDDD by the book, which says you really only need to count on DDs and "eat normally" the other days of the week. (I myself have never known how to 'eat normally' and find that I can quite easily blow a good rotation without counting, but why don't you see if you can manage it so as to have the least stress on you?)

So, here's what you do. Figure out, in advance, three DD menus with calories counted. Rotate them every week. You will never have to count again.

One of mine is:

B. 2 srv egg beaters fried in a non-stick pan w/ 1 slice FF Cheese + Maxwell House Sugar Free Suisse Mocha Coffee (105 cal)
L. 1 srv Fage 0% Fat Greek Yogurt (100 cal)
D. 1 package low carb chili (250 cal)

That's a total of 455, which leaves me w/ about 50 calories if I really need them for a snack.

Your menu looks reasonable except that the two egg yolks fried in butter--I'm thinking that's going to come out to be more than 100 calories depending on the butter.

Last edited by stephdray; 09-03-2012 at 09:37 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, that's a good idea! I was thinking of making a simple veggie soup with all low-cal veggies, counting the calories of the whole pot, and then dividing by how many bowls... and then just eating it all day up to the 400 cal level. The calculator said I need to be at 395 cal on down days, and 1800 on up days. 395 sounds insanely low, lol, but hey - what do I know?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Hi Lowcarbinca!

Once I found what fills me up and makes me happy, I've wound up eating pretty similar things on my down days. It's simple that way

My typical down day menu looks like this:

B: coffee with soy slender (sugarfree chocolate soy milk ... tastes great in coffee!) 35 cals
L: a boca "original vegan" burger wrapped in a low carb tortilla (115 cals and filling!)
D: protein (2 eggs, a few oz chicken, small Wendy's chili etc.), veggie (usually zucchini)
S: 100 calorie bags kettle corn (feels like a lot and is filling and yummy ... you may not want this option if you are staying low carb) or a sliced cucumber with laughing cow cheese light on it.

It's not hard to count calories on down days, especially if you tend to eat similar things like most of us do.

Stephdray gave a good option.... you can try what Dr. Johnson suggests in his Alternate Day Diet book, that some people don't need to count calories on up days in the beginning. You can see how that goes for you. I've been losing about 2 lbs. a week since July 11th with not counting most up days, but this doesn't work for everyone and may not work for me forever. And there are potential downfalls ... such as accidentally not eating enough on up days, making your next down day harder, and of course going over, both of which could mess with your weight loss.

(I did a search for this topic of counting up days or not, and most of the wise folks here seem to recommend counting, and interestingly many of the ones who weren't counting aren't here anymore ... hmmmm .... but it is an option to start. Maybe you'll find calorie counting is not so bad once you dip a toe in on down days)
calichris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
I just wanted to jump in real quick and say that I started JUDDD almost 9 months ago. I counted calories until I got to my goal weight of 130. Then I ate freely on UDs. Now I'm going back to counting. JUDDD is so amazing! I figure I was eating up into the 4000 calories on UDs sometimes. I've always kept DDs low. My weight has jumped to an average of 133. I want the high end to be 130. Ate my UD calories of 1700 yesterday and I was 131 this morning.

Did I mention how amazing JUDDD is??
Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Stephdray, you mentioned a package of low carb chili....where do you find it and what is the name?

Thanks

Have a great holiday day, everyone!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
When I reach my goal weight I hope to go on 50% maintenance for, according to the chart at Dr. Johnson's site, 1850 for up and 925 for down day. I'd still be counting, but it's worth it if I can maintain the weight I want and still have my treats on my up days.

Anyone here on the 50% maintenance? How does it work for you? Do you still need to be lower on the down days?
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much for the info! I made my first calorie-counting grocery shopping trip, and made a tub of stuff to eat on my next 2 DD... 1 package of tofu + 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes + a bunch of fresh herbs from my garden + 1/2 cup sauteed mexican squash + 1 triangle of laughing cow light all mooooshed up (ha ha, laughing cow, mooooshed up, get it?) together = around 400 calories for the whole giant tub. It'll take me 2 down days to eat the whole thing for sure, which means I'll be eating about 200 calories per day of that, so I'll have another 200 calories for breakfast and snacks. An egg is about 75 calories, right? That's what I have for breakfast anyway, and then 125 calories in snacks & I'm golden!
If I'm overlooking anything, someone please tell me, my ears are open to my potential mistakes!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
The biggest adjustment for me was measuring on DDs. I literally pour 1 T of half and half into the measuring spoon and then into my coffee. Left to my own devices I would probably pour more than 4 T. These calories add up quickly.

I now fast many DDs until bed time and when I do this I just drink green tea with ez-sweetz until bed time.

In the beginning I ate lots of celery and cucumbers. I needed the bulk.
I use to utilize miracle noodles/ rice most DDs, but now the appetite suppression is just amazing!

Broth can be a big help too. I still get the DD shivers EVERY DD even when it was 95 degrees this summer I had on a sweater. So a cup of broth can be both filling and warming.

I think this is the best WOE! I never feel deprived and have great energy on DDs. So,
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Wonderful, thank you! What kind of rate-of-loss are you seeing? I don't actually have a functioning scale (meant to buy a battery today, spaced it while I was at Wal Mart) - but should be able to tell by my clothes...
Old 09-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes... around here we say "The pants don't lie!" As well as "Warning! Pants on the ground!" I stated JUDDDing 3/28/12. I've lost 37.6 on JUDDD. The first 10 were on low carb, but I was an unhappy camper!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Carly! I think I need to lose about 20 lbs - hopefully it'll be as easy as it was the first time I came here to LCF to lose weight! Of course I was a lot younger then... It's funny - I lost all my baby weight plus some after my 4 yr old was born, just easy as pie - not even really counting carbs... but then a few years ago it just started creeping up on me again.. and I started eating out and stuff.. sigh.. Anyway, now I've got to lose it all over again!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

I have lost 110lb in the past. So this is my 2nd time around with weight loss. I really hope it's the last time. With this WOE I believe that it will be the last since for me this is really sustainable.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I think I lost something like 50 pounds last time... It's been a while, I don't remember exactly.. I do know that I was up to a size 12 in jeans, and ended up a size 4/6, which is where I want to be again! Then I could start borrowing my teenager's clothes, lol!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Stephdray, you mentioned a package of low carb chili....where do you find it and what is the name?
It's LC Homestyles Chili and you can purchase it at Netrition. If this isn't practical for you, there are also some canned chili choices at the grocery store that are fairly low in calorie and not outrageous in carbs.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
It's LC Homestyles Chili and you can purchase it at Netrition. If this isn't practical for you, there are also some canned chili choices at the grocery store that are fairly low in calorie and not outrageous in carbs.
Thanks for the info. I wound up making some today with very lean ground beef and black soybeans. It tastes quite yummy. We'll put it over lettuce for a taco type salad.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote