Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Great NSVs Mary.
So much more to this WOE than just numbers on a scale!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fitmom
Stats: 147/139/127
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: September 2012
May I ask something?
I have never before heard or read about shirataki noodles/miracle noodles or gluc...whatever... until I came here. :starsconfused:
When I read the DD recipes/ menu's I feel like an alien, half the ingredients are totally foreign
I feel seriously behind the times...
Anyway...I googled and read some amazing things...wow ZERO calories!!! So I went to our chinese supermarket and they do not stock shirataki noodles!!! .
Went to our health store and they stock the noodles (one packet), BUT it cost R50!!!!
That is a lot of money. I will never buy it at that cost.
My questions:

1. Any South African/ Cape tonian on board? there to buy reasonably priced shirataki noodles? Glug whatever powder?

2. My husband is in London UK at the moment, he has some space in his suitcase...is it worth it to ask him to bring me a few packets?

3. Where in London does one buy them and price?
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

They're packed in bags of water, so probably not the easiest thing to take in a suitcase!

I'd be very surprised to find any in our local shops. I bought my Miracle Noodles through the internet and they were delivered the next day. They're not cheap but certainly increase your DD options. They're made from soluble fibre so very good for the system. I got the fettucini and the texture is a bit chewy, so I'll probably try the angel hair next time. With a good tasty veg-filled sauce, they make a great DD dinner. I think, because you're eating so much less overall, the cost probably balances out over time.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
Hi Y'all..Should have stopped in for coffee sooner!

Hi Everyone~ Couple questions. Just started using glucommannan on DD's. Does that have any effect on weight?

What do these shirataki noodles taste like? I've not tried them yet, because they sounded funny, lol. and I make fun of my kids because they are picky eaters. I guess they get that from me.

How often do you recalculate your calories?

See you in the am.
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
So I went to our chinese supermarket and they do not stock shirataki noodles!!! .
--They are also called konjac/konnyaku/yam noodles; did you ask for those? They are kept in the refrigerated section at my local Asian store.

1. Any South African/ Cape tonian on board? there to buy reasonably priced shirataki noodles? Glug whatever powder?

2. My husband is in London UK at the moment, he has some space in his suitcase...is it worth it to ask him to bring me a few packets?
--see if he could pick up some gluc powder for you; you might be able to make your own noodles, as well as add it to puddings, smoothies, etc.
--the noodles are packed in fishy-smelling water, and I don't know how well they would handle air travel...!!!

3. Where in London does one buy them and price?
--PM Kissa, she might know.

Personally--this is just my opinion--they're not worth spending much money on. There is no nutritional value to them; no protein, no vitamins. They just fill up your stomach for a couple hours. I buy them once or twice a year, but I feel better when I spend my money on vegetables.

You can make "noodles" with shredded cabbage, zucchini/courgette, broccoli stalks, and other low-calorie veggies...great for stir-fries, not just Italian-style dishes. Can you get spaghetti squash where you are? When other people are having pasta, I just put the sauce/cheese on a bed of veggies, like spinach, eggplant, mushrooms; ratatouille is a good dish, too. Yes, this will add some calories to your day, but you also get some vitamins from the veggies.

Here's a pic of what I buy at the Asian market:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg konjac.jpg (20.2 KB, 7 views)
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyitworks View Post
What do these shirataki noodles taste like?
Nothing...nothing at all! They have NO flavor!!!

The closest thing I can think of to compare it to would be unflavored gelatin.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #127
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I agree with PJ about empty nothing food. I tried to use them when I was first JUDDDing but they seemed to cause me some blockage problems and the scale wqould go up instead of down for several days after eating them. I found I preferred zoodles. I bought a Spirooli and I LOVE the little noodles that it cuts from a squash. Steam the zoodles, add a little spaghettis sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and I am good.
Now I prefer the powdered gluc. I add a t to broth and if is very filling for 5 calories. I also add a t of gluc to protein shakes to make them thicker. Otherwise I won't be ordering anymore shirataki noodles. Although I have found some more uses for the rice. I "might" get some more shirataki rice.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Pirate and Adillenal, really appreciate your opinion. I think I will give them a miss.

I must live on the other side of the world... I do!
We don't have spagetti squash or zoodles either.
Neither me nor any of my friends here know these foods.

We do have good real food though
Old 09-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

I agree about non-foods. However, veggies only last me about 2 hours before I'm hungry again, whereas the noodles last about 4. I've only 311 calories to play with on a DD so the noodles mean I can pack in lots of veg at dinner time, then have some protein later on.

Last edited by Flossyliz; 09-21-2012 at 01:04 PM..
Old 09-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, zoodles are just zucchini squash cut into spaghetti sized shreds hence zoodles. You can also cut them with a potato peeler too. Not sure what kind of squash you have in your area but it is a pretty good substitute in my opinion.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Interesting! We have zucchini squash! Here it is refered to as baby marrow.
We also have gem squash, butternut squash and lots more. My kids love patty pans, which they refer to as space ships
Old 09-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hollyitworks
Stats: 185/168/130 -17 Woohoo!
WOE: JUDDD (Is there any other way?)
Start Date: Restart July 2012 JUDDD. Start May 2012 Atkins
Hmmm...gelatin no flavor noodles

Lol~ I guess Im not missing out. ;0)
hollyitworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #133
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
Interesting! We have zucchini squash! Here it is refered to as baby marrow.
We also have gem squash, butternut squash and lots more. My kids love patty pans, which they refer to as space ships
Great. Try the zucchini cut into thin noodle shapes. Barely cooked and they resemble noodles quite well. I like to raise epatty pans but have never really figured out a good way to cook them outside of plain boiling or baking. I like to grow different varieties of squash. My spaghettis squash was my star this year as I have enough to feed everyone all winter. But that is a good thing.
Much better than tasteless, nutritionless shirataki noodles. Now that is just my opinion so don't attack me if you love shiritaki noodles.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #134
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aw, patty pan squash...

I used to do this with them, when I cooked at a farm/retreat center...

Steam them, let them cool a bit; meanwhile, caramelize some onions (Vidalia if ya got 'em) in butter with a pinch of salt. **Add a touch of tarragon or thyme, if desired.**

Cut squash across the middle at the widest part & cut off a little piece at the stem so it will sit flat.

Arrange in a baking dish with the cut side up. Spread the top with onions and your favorite cheese...I'd do either a very sharp cheddar or a freshly-grated Asiago...broil for just a few minutes to brown the cheese. Bread crumbs or any other "au gratin" ideas you have, go for it!

Kind of a pain because they're such tiny boogers, but it's a nice side dish and very adorable!

PS: I think sometimes I would put a layer of seasoned* brown rice on the bottom of the pan, then press the squash into the rice. Then the cheese on top...oh, I love cheese so much!!!

*Like, for stuffed peppers or a rice casserole.

Last edited by piratejenny; 09-21-2012 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: PS, **
Old 09-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Not wanting to start a noodle war here but ALL noodles are pretty tasteless - IMHO.

I decided to experiment with the shirataki because I was getting concerned about my regular but minimal production in the toilet department - something I'd never had to worry about before JUDDD.

OK, so they don't provide nutrition, but my sauce takes care of that. They do, however, provide the very healthy benefits of plenty of soluble fibre and, as a beginner, they've made my 315 cal DDs much easier.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

I would like to ask my DH to bring me some gluc powder from London.
What brandname should he look for? what does the packaging look like? Which shops will stock this?
He is a wonderful typical male and would rather die than ask directions... it would be kind if some one would tell us exactly where to look...
Old 09-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

I would like some gluc powder for thickening but don't hold much hope of finding it on a shelf in provincial England.
I did some googling and didn't get very far. A big "health food" chain called Holland & Barrett stock "Carboslow" which is mostly gluc powder, but it's flavoured with orange. Otherwise it seems to be mostly available in capsules.
Your best bet might be the internet - unless some Londoners have local info.

PS. Your children are gorgeous!

Last edited by Flossyliz; 09-22-2012 at 05:24 AM..
Old 09-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Flossy, you are kind.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #139
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Not wanting to start a noodle war here but ALL noodles are pretty tasteless - IMHO.

I decided to experiment with the shirataki because I was getting concerned about my regular but minimal production in the toilet department - something I'd never had to worry about before JUDDD.

OK, so they don't provide nutrition, but my sauce takes care of that. They do, however, provide the very healthy benefits of plenty of soluble fibre and, as a beginner, they've made my 315 cal DDs much easier.
I agree that they serve a purpose and I used them in the beginning but they did the opposite in the bathroom department for me. The word blocked is the best word I can come up with. The powdered gluc does not clog me nor does it speed me up either. But it does help with feeling full. I use a t in broth On DD's if I need it. I still have 4 bags left out of the case I bought. Luckily two of those are the rice which works well in Progresso soup.

And time has taken care of the digestive issues that I too had for months on JUDDD. I guess it took 6 months before I became regular again without having to use supplements. Very strange diet.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Hi everyone,

I feel I need to check in for some accountability here. I have returned from my vacation to see family. Normally, getting back on my weight loss plan is VERY hard for me after a vacation, so we shall see how this goes. I do have one solid DD under my belt now, which is amazing to me that I was able to get back on the train and do it.

The vacation was just filled with eating. My travel day on the plane was a DD, but after that, it was a few up up and away days. Mexican food- my favorite with chips and margarita. Brunch with crispy hash browns. Dinner theater (Hello Dolly) which was a huge brunch, the Melting Pot with the best yummy chocolate fondue. Oh we ate and ate.

The family was shocked to see how much weight I had lost since they last saw me, and my sister said, "you eat like this and lost all this weight? What's the secret?"

I was up 4 pounds when I returned, but am down two of those after the DD. Although I wish I was on a downward losing trend, I made the choice to enjoy eating fun foods with my family and we had a good time doing it. The damage wasn't major, and as long as I am solidly back to my rotations, I should drop what I gained and be back in the saddle again. Love JUDDD.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #141
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I'm glad you had fun Beverly. How wonderful that your family noticed your hard work, and that you were able to get back in the saddle right away. 4 pounds is nothing, and with two of them gone in one DD, you'll be back where you were and losing virgin weight soon!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Nice recovery!

Last edited by cici52; 09-22-2012 at 11:11 AM..
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Beverly....so glad you are back safe and sound. It is always encouraging to hear vaca stories where we choose to truly enjoy ourselves and find out it didn't "cost" that much!!!! So happy for you!

Phyl
gotitnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Well done Beverly!
Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Welcome back! Hope those 2 pounds will be gone in no time.
DH and I will be going on a romantic break 11 days from now and it will involve lots of special meals...
I was allready stressed about weight gain...but feel so much better after reading your post.
Thank you!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #145

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Beverley that is wonderful. I am so pleased for you.

Sorry I haven't been around to discuss shiritake and gluc!

I can buy Shiritake noodles in a small Japanese store near me in London. But I agree they are really not an important part of my weight loss. I hardly ever eat them... You really aren't missing our Fitmom.

As for the Gluc I have never even tried to get any, so can't advise there. I mostly just use real food. My great standby in the early days was homemade vegetable soup.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
And time has taken care of the digestive issues that I too had for months on JUDDD. I guess it took 6 months before I became regular again without having to use supplements. Very strange diet.
Given chance, our bodies are fantasic aren't they?! Lovely to have a WOE that helps them to function optimally!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Thanx Cindy! You are my JUDDD hero
Old 09-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #148

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am less of a hero this morning. Saw 128 which is the absolute top of my maintenance allowance. 126 is goal and 124 -128 are my permitted figures. I seldom see 128 unless I have been on vacation so I know I have been pushing the bounderies just a bit too hard.

Time to take control. Fortunately DH is away for a few days so I will be able to do some more sensible eating. We have had functions and guests just a bit too much for even JUDDD to handle.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:35 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Cindy, you are my hero because you enjoy good food, care about your health and allways take time to encourage others...
and I am so glad to know you are human

I am excited to see you drop those 2-4 pounds quickly - I know you will.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:55 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Kissa, it is good of you to share the little tidbit of what happens when we go our own way too much and what you will do about it. Let us know when the bounce resolves. Your experience is so helpful.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote