Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
September Newbies - post here.

to all the Newbies joining this month.

And hi again to the August Newbies if you are still posting here.

There is an Introductory Stickie thread but this is a great place to ask questions and get to know all the other Newbies.

I do hope you will all love JUDDDing and have the success it promises.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Is it already September in England?!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee55
Stats: 198/194.4/160
Start Date: September 1, 2012
Hi everyone,
I tried JUDDD and low carb in the spring and had some success, then summer happened. I really enjoyed JUDDD and I know I can be successful with the WOE. I look forward to reading your posts and learning more from all of you.
Lee
Lee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Lee!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tooraloora
Stats: 222/150.7/139
WOE: 2003 calorie counting + ex./ 2012 Aug 25: JUDD
well technically I am an August newbie, but on the cusp, starting on Aug 25th, one week ago.

so far so good!

here is my original intro:

I lost 90 lbs (222 to 132) calorie counting and exercising (a lot!) from July 2003 to fall 2005... but then yoyo'd some for a few years, weighing mostly in the 40s, until 4 years go when I left a 25 yr unhappy marriage, and exercised less with weeks of single parenting 3 kids, and stress ate, and then happy ate too when I met a new guy (still with) who is a lean dude who likes to cook and drink wine and loll around. My weight crept up about a lb. a month or so, such that I now have 35 lbs to lose (again!) So during this 4 yrs I have tried calorie counting, many times, and an online one year program called Lean Eating, which is pretty much lc/paleo except you can eat carbs after working out (a lot of emphasis on weights). Well paleo and LC in general seem to not work for me... my calories get too high with nuts, meats, etc. YMMV, but for me, nutrient composition is not so central as calories in and out. Also on anything with strict rules or forbidden foods, my longstanding habit of all-or-none, with binging, is really triggered. Even w calorie counting, I need to have a bit of leeway +/-.

So I am interested in JUDDD in terms of my longterm comfort with calorie counting, and no forbidden foods, and every other day some big leeway and practice eating at maintenance (not over). I am a little nervous about the DDs... I have never except in the first weeks of shock in the divorce ever eaten that little! But I realize with creativity, I can stretch my cals, and there are lots of ideas here. Mostly I am keen to try some social support... my big success was on my own, but I did like the online forums in Lean Eating, even if that methodology was not right for me.

so far, I am loving the online support and this WOE seems to give me the no forbidden foods, the days with leeway, and the actual frikkin weight loss (nothing more than doing a WOE full on and staying stock still or gaining).

Looking forward to greeting newcomers
tooraloora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Hello! I've just signed up
I read about JUDDD last year but the word CALORIE put me right off!

My weight crept up slowly but steadily from about 136 earlier this year, then refused to come back down from the 140s and was sticking around 145. I think I must have picked up the buzz about JUDDD from the Ether after the Horizon programme (which I didn't see till last week) because it popped up on my radar just after I'd tried LC with a disastrous 5lb gain. I'd decided to have a go at FF but came across Dr Johnson's book so, I thought I'd give it a try. Despite being unhappy about calorie counting, I'm more than happy with the principles of JUDDD. I've been lurking on the forum for just over a week and I'm well-impressed.

According to the JUDDD website, my allowance is 320 for DDs and just under 1600 for UDs.

I did my first DD last Monday, by the book, with a diet shake in 2 halves for lunch and tea. To my palate, it was disgusting - and left a horrible sweet taste in my mouth for the rest of the day and evening. Later, I couldn't face any more, so I had 2 ryvita with a tomato and a bit of cheese and I'm sticking with real food from now on - lots of eggs, fish, mushrooms, greens and salads on DDs.

The first 2 DDs had me awake in the night with my body just buzzing. The last DD I did 600 cals - half of which had been from a social lunch I wasn't really hungry for and I needed something later so that I didn't go to bed hungry. It worked because I slept ok but I don't know what effect it had on the UD.

I don't normally eat till I'm hungry and I'm already noticing I'm going well into the afternoon before I want anything. I'm on a DD today and I hope I can manage till dinner cos DH is cooking me fish with greens and I want a few cals left for a sleep-enabling snack later this evening.

I'm finding my calorie calculating is probably a bit hit and miss, as I don't buy much packaged stuff. PLEASE don't tell me I have to weigh stuff as well! This week probably wasn't the best start, with social events on my DDs. Plus, an UD when I thought I'd eaten like a queen but, if the online calculators are to be believed, I'd only totalled 1220 cals. However, at least I've started and I'm sure I'll get the hang of this calorie thing soon enough.

My weight started going down steadily but is up 2lb today - no doubt due to last night's wine! I'll weigh again tomorrow.

It's lovely to join you all here, you sound a lovely bunch and I'm looking forward to sharing my adventure with you.

Question:
Do I need to post this in the other Newbies thread too?
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Flossy! DDs take some practice to figure out what works best for each person. I don't weigh my food, but do utilize measuring spoons and cups when applicable. My weight loss has been good, but others find they like to/ need to weigh food. The great thing about JUDDD is it is pretty flexible. If you stick to your rotations and calories you will lose. All the other things like weighing/ measuring and timing of meals is up to the individual.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
Just a quick check in- will read post in a while.

Needing to get so much gardening done is very little time and the pressure is getting to me- so will just hit it as best I can.
bbl to read post and write some more... my weigh day will be tuesday for the month of August and I am praying for a good result for my first month. I think some of my clothes are looser but I honestly cannot tell as I have so many sizes I wear. I have a test pair of green shorts that would not button at the end of July and I will try them on tomorrow or more likely tuesday am before my cancer Dr. appointment (colon ressection a couple of years ago with radiation burns). Appt. is mostly follow up of 4 mos. interval with cancer checking blood work.
bbl

Norfolk Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandc90
Hi all. I've decided to try a modified version of JUDDD by just having DDs twice a week. We're getting our house ready to sell then moving across country so having DDs more often would be too much for me right now. When I did a 17-hour fast recently (7pm to 12 noon) I was very tired even once I began eating. I can't afford to be tired right now.

I'm very attracted to the idea of no forbidden foods on JUDDD. I have a lifetime history of restricting and binging so I'm hoping this WOE will help me learn moderation.

So, starting Monday I'll have my first DD at...oops, not 500 but 349 calories... according to Dr. J's site. Right now I'm not going to count UP calories, just try to eat healthy and normally. I'm concerned a lot of monitoring of calories will ignite the binge monster.

Last edited by tandc90; 09-02-2012 at 09:37 AM..
tandc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Lainey, good luck with your appt. So glad you're able to look toward your future by getting your body in shape with diet. {hug}

Tandc90, that sounds like a very good plan!

I really appreciate the opportunity to join this support group. Am encouraged by all the good reports of breaking stalls.

I guess I should put this in my siggie or avatar space. Was quite taken aback when I put my numbers in the Johnson calculator and it said my dd's should be 200 calories. Boy, that's gonna require some creative thinking. Yes, I'm a 'small person' at 4'6", the size of an average third grade child. I've been checking out the dd recipe files and have some ideas, starting with the DD Pumkin Pie crust - maybe gonna make some pumkin flavored cookies with the crust part of that recipe. If I have time today, or later this week.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say 'Hi Ya'll from TX, so happy to 'meet' you"!!
~Pamela

Last edited by Luv2Eat; 09-02-2012 at 09:16 AM..
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Pamela. I can have DD up to 344, but I aim to keep below 200. I do most of the time. I have great appetite sppression at this point and usually fast until a small bedtime snack.

I have to learn how to link a thread into a post but I will bump a thread about 100 calorie bang for your buck. There are some great ideas in that thread.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Hi. Glad to have found you. Many inspiring stories here.

Have been fighting weight my whole life with occasional success. However, the past few years have been a losing battle. Have been faithfully logging food via an online tracker for the past month staying under 1400kc. Three weeks lost 2 pounds. Started JUDDD, first DD 4 days ago. Lost 2 more pounds. I have a long way to go, but hope this is the ticket. Love not having to think about food except to record it. DDs are 400. UDs I am trying to find out what comes naturally. Somewhere between 1600 to 2000. So will see if weight loss continues and adjust as needed. At 60 years old, I am not expecting any real fast results, but would just like to see a steady loss.

tandc90, let that binge monster sleep and you are so right about monitoring or any obsessive activity triggering it. Because of similar experience I try to remain a scientific observer when logging food by just using it for future information. That way whether going up or down I can understand what is working or not. Good luck.

Thanks again for being here. Hope to get to know some of you as time goes on.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Peobrooks
Sorry, just posted on another thread before I saw there was a September newbie thread.

Hello, I'm another newbie. My name is Jo, 55 years old, 5'5", 132 pounds. Just finished a round of hcg a couple of weeks ago, one more week of no sugar, no starch before the hcg protocol permits me to add back in those things. I'd like to lose another 7 pounds to get to my goal weight of 125.

I've been reading through some of the posts and I'm very intrigued by JUDDD and I think I'd like to try it out. Here's my question - I am going on vacation in 19 days (Vegas), and our vacations are typically eating bonanzas. I want to be fairly free with eating on vacation. Should I wait until after vacation to try JUDDD, or should I go ahead and start (and if I should go ahead and start, should I wait until after the final week of no sugar no starch from hcg)?

I appreciate your help!

Jo
Peobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the welcome and the advice Carly.
I found the 100cals thread. Very inspiring!
Idon't know how to bump it but it was just 9 topics below this September Newbies one on the main thread list.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Jo-

I say jump in. JUDDD is great with any other WOE. So it can be done low carb, no dairy, no wheat, etc...

JUDDD only cares about the calories, so you choose what you eat. If you want to eat all your DD calories from ice cream you can. JUDDD doesn't care. I would not recomend that but JUDDD has no restrictions about the foods you choose or those you choose to exclude.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Peobrooks
Thanks

Thanks Carly!

Jo
Peobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandc90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
tandc90, let that binge monster sleep and you are so right about monitoring or any obsessive activity triggering it. Because of similar experience I try to remain a scientific observer when logging food by just using it for future information. That way whether going up or down I can understand what is working or not. Good luck..
Yes, exactly. It's the obsessive behavior that does it. And good luck to you too and everyone else!
tandc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
Hello All,

I started JUDDD August 24th, so far I've lost 3 pounds. I'm really enjoying this and the more I read and learn about the benefits, the more I'm happy I found it. I would like to lose another 16 pounds, to get my BMI down to 20.

I've been using powdered supplements for my DDs
Almond Breeze unsweetened chocolate 45 calories with Metagenics UltraMeal Rice Chocolate (one scoop) 95 calories
sunrider nuplus 60 calories
sunrider fortune delight 10 calories
sunrider cocoa vitashake 95 calories with Almond Breeze unsweetened chocolate, 45 calories
Calli tea (zero calories)

So basically, it feels like all day on my DD's I'm drinking something, I mix all the the Sunrider drinks with 16 ounces of water. I'm not hungry at all, (despite what my mind may occasionally tell me, LOL)

My UDs are mainly vegetarian, lots of melon, zucchini & tomatoes from my garden, though tonight we're having salmon.

So happy that I'm now 3 pounds less than my last plateau.
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Dakini, congratulations on your loss!

Carly, thank you for the info about the 100 calorie ideas! With Flossyliz's help I was able to find it

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a quite low DD calorie count.
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Glad you found the 100 cals thread Luv. Don't know why I didn't just paste in the link: What is the most bang for 100 calories? Oh well, I've read that JUDDD helps clear the brain .......

I've just completed my first week on JUDDD. Last Monday 148.8 today 147.8. Actually I was only 144.8 on Friday (checked several times!!), so I know not to get hung up on the numbers.

The main thing is that it's been pretty easy so far and I'm looking forward to my second week.

Right, off for my UD brunch: luxury muesli with extra nuts, loads of strawberries and some full-fat yogurt.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Just finished my first down day. I held off eating until lunchtime and had lots of raw vegetables to snack on. It was a pretty easy day but I am looking forward to my up day today.

Last edited by Lee55; 09-03-2012 at 06:36 AM..
Old 09-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Hello to you all. In case you missed this on the Newbies thread...recopied.

Welcome everyone!! Here is a link to keep you motivated for the month...best to you all in your efforts this month!! Some of these posts might get you through the DD!

Weight lost in August
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Barb,
I am so glad I found this supportive group, lots of impressive results for the month of August. I hope I have similar results for the month of September. I guess the key is to plan your meals in advance.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
all you lovely Newbies. I have been away for Couple of days without Internet but see Carly and Cactusrose have been offering support and advice. You won't find a better crowd to offer help than here on LCF JUDDD threads.

Lainey....I am holding my breath to see your weigh in tomorrow x

I know you are all going to love this WOE and I look forward to getting to know you all.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #25
lavender and lace

Gallery: Violet_Dream
Stats: 193.8/187.4/135 ~5'9"~
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 11/17/2014
thanks for welcoming us newbies. I lost most of my weight with hcg, did JUDDD briefly in April and was losing about a pound a day. I'm exercising every day now and I'm already down 3.8 in two days. After doing many 500-calorie days on hcg, I can do one every other day standing on one leg.

This is such an enjoyable and liveable and the weight does come off faster this way than it does eating the same amount of food every day. Two of my keys to success are keeping a food journal and eating lots of protein (particularly on Down Days).

JUDDD rocks!

Last edited by Violet_Dream; 09-03-2012 at 04:46 PM..
Violet_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
I'm a newbie too - count me in!
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
to you all! I LOVE juddd and I hope you do too! This is a great place to be.
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/150/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
You've found a very supportive group that has helped me lose almost 30 pounds in three months and, believe me, if it works for me, it will work for you...I'm 71 and very sot in me ways. Please don't hesitate to ask any question...as we used to say in the Army, there are no dumb questions...just the dumb reason for not asking. I assure you there will be someone here who has gone through what you're going through now.

So, welcome, and come back often...this group really helps. Hugs for starting on the path to better health.

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
Please don't hesitate to ask any question...as we used to say in the Army, there are no dumb questions...just the dumb reason for not asking. I assure you there will be someone here who has gone through what you're going through now.
OK, so someone's gotta ask it - I guess it'll be me.
Um.... Bathroom issues? As in not going? Any quick fixes you can suggest?
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
What a welcoming group, thank you all so much. Mssarge, you're very impressive, losing 30 pounds in 3 months! I'm in my mid-50s, what used to work to lose weight laughs at me now and of course so much of my weight wants to be belly fat, the worst kind of fat. So I'm very happy to find something that has knocked me off my plateau.

Is there any potential problem with keeping my DD's low, todays DD calories are 378.
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote