Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tooraloora
Stats: 222/150.7/139
WOE: 2003 calorie counting + ex./ 2012 Aug 25: JUDD
probs with the runs on JUDDD???

sorry if TMI, but on my 7th day of JUDDD, I have had the trots 3 times, after breakfast, often just a protein bar... on UD mornings.

what gives?

at least it is not all day long, just once, but a little disconcerting re one episode at work
tooraloora is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I'd suggest it's the sugar alcohols in the protein bar. Very common reaction to them.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I agree with Dottie. Those bars can really cause that problem for some folks.

If you are able to get to the point of just eating *regular food* on JUDDD, I expect you will no longer be plagued by the trots.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

these protein bars do not have sugar alcohols... and I have eaten them w/o any side effects for years.

I just wondered if the DD are making my system a bit sensitive to the UD?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooraloora View Post
these protein bars do not have sugar alcohols... and I have eaten them w/o any side effects for years.

I just wondered if the DD are making my system a bit sensitive to the UD?
Hmmm.. that's different. Could you list their ingredients here? Perhaps it's another of those ingredients that is causing the problem, because even though you've been eating them for years, you probably haven't been eating them on a fasted and totally emptied out gut as you are now. You now have nothing in your belly to act as a *buffer* against these bars, if indeed it is one of the ingredients in them in conjunction with a fast that is causing this. Which brings up another question..

Do you have this problem on all UD mornings, regardless of whether you eat the protein bars or whether your first food of the new day is something else, like an egg or piece of chicken or bowl of oatmeal?

I'm just wondering if your gut is responding to all foods this way on your UDs.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCBubs
WOE: LC for life!
I actually know exactly what you are talking about. I've been doing 0 cal DD's, with coffee, water and diet Pepsil. I have to be very careful about how I "break" the fast on UD mornings.

A low fat choice always goes over better, like Fage yogurt or cottage cheese. It's like I have to ease my body back into eating. Usually I can eat pretty normally after that.

fyi--bacon and eggs or anything with mayo are not good choices! (at least for me)
LCBubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCBubs View Post
I actually know exactly what you are talking about. I've been doing 0 cal DD's, with coffee, water and diet Pepsil. I have to be very careful about how I "break" the fast on UD mornings.

A low fat choice always goes over better, like Fage yogurt or cottage cheese. It's like I have to ease my body back into eating. Usually I can eat pretty normally after that.

fyi--bacon and eggs or anything with mayo are not good choices! (at least for me)
Interesting, Bubs. It sounds like a little protein to settle the tummy into digestion again, slowly, without hitting it with a load of fat, which often gaks many of us out, even when we're not doing any fasting at all.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #8

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Not an issue I have had I am happy to say. I am regular as clockwork, first thing every day. I know, you didn't need to hear that!

I am sorry this is a problem for you at present. I can only suggest dropping the protein bars for a while and then introducing them carefully.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I can sympathize!

I don't (or haven't noticed that I) get them so much from fatty meats, mayo, etc as from
too many vegetables!!!

Odd, I know; I'd have thought that the "bulk" of veggies would slow things down, but in my case it's the opposite!
I have to limit my veggies and eat them with meat and/or cheese.

Carbs like bread & rice would also slow me down, but I have to avoid them.

Flax in any form is also a problem.

And coffee. OMG!!! Do you have coffee in the morning?

A good probiotics supplement and/or digestive enzymes might be helpful, if you are eating a different ratio of fat/protein/carbs than you are used to.

Also, have you been using glucomannan, psyllium, or other fibers?
Some people have a strong reaction to them.

I agree that foods which previously never bothered me could be problematic on DDs.
(or the morning after a DD...that's when it's hitting you, right?)

I also take a medication that can affect my stomach (used to do so more than it does now). For a while I took an anti-diarrhea pill every day. I would rather be constipated than have the other problem.
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4

Last edited by piratejenny; 08-31-2012 at 12:58 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
I certainly have the opposite problem if I do not include enough fresh veggies and fruits in my diet, and it became more pronounced with my return from maintenance to careful JUDDD to get back to goal weight, because I would eat a dense food and then not feel I had the calories for fresh (bad planning!).

If I've ever had the problem you're having, I've traced it to a food. The most recent time was a Kefir that had not been kept under refrigeration properly at the store.

Since we are eating fewer foods, an individual food's impact is more pronounced, and that bad Kefir hit me hard!

If you don't think you ran into something that had "gone bad", as I did, I'd think your problem is coming either from an ingredient that your system has never handled as such a large percentage of your diet (coffee or an ingredient in a processed food, for instance), or from the percentage of fats being greater in your diet. The production of bile to digest fats is complicated, and too much can be released sometimes. Just a thought.

If this is the first time it has happened, you may not run into it again. Hope not!

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #11

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitlin' View Post

Since we are eating fewer foods, an individual food's impact is more pronounced, and that bad Kefir hit me hard!
I have no problem with MSG normally, but on DDs I find my chicken broth has me running to the loo. The only thing I can figure is it's from the MSG on an empty stomach. I keep testing the theory, and it happens every time, so I should probably call it confirmed and stop testing!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

well, thanks for thoughts. The first time I didn't pay a lot of attention (I do very occasionally very *randomly* have a loose BM, but if it is a one of, oh well). but the last two, were clearly on UD, and with this Cliff protein bar which is a bit like a chocolate bar lol , and the cals make it an UD food for sure. will have to read the label re fat etc. And try having eggs or toast or something different on UD breakfasts... to see if there is any rhyme or reason to this

will let you know!

meanwhile, almost at the end of Day 7... so far so good...
Old 08-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I am like PJ with the veggies and that may be the only thing I consume on a DD so I have "issues" from time to time.

I also have to limit my use of gluc powder and miracle noodles/ rice. I really can't tolerate sugar alcohols so try to avoid those at all costs. I will only consume something with sugar alcohols in place of an actual laxative in case of the other extreme, which is rare for me.

I hope you start feeling better!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
When I first started JUDDD, I had the trots after every down day...more normal now, but I blamed it on the food I was eating on them...lots of the cabbage, chicken, lc cheese, and shirataki noodles on days when the hunger fairy hit me. I made a big pot of vegetable soup which I used for a few of the early DD's and had the runs afterwards. I froze up a few containers and have had them recently without the bad results, so it wasn't bad food. I think your system has to change a bit with this WOE and until you do, you experience some straaaaaaange things.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is online now   Reply With Quote