Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
8 Weeks on JUDDD and Kinda Pissy

So I have to change my stats upward from last week because I gained 2 lbs, for a total of 13 lbs lost on JUDDD and 17 lbs total.

There are a lot of possible culprits for this backslide. The first being that last week's four pound loss was probably half water. The second being that this week I received my monthly visit from Aunt Flo. The third being that I was unable to get accurate counts for my up days this week and probably went over at least a few of them. There was also lots of sodium and some alcohol involved.

Because of all these factors, I anticipated not losing anything this week. I wasn't prepared for a gain, however, and I am grumpy as hell about that. My sour mood is aggravated by the fact that I was so close to my first goal of 270 that I could taste it. And my angst is also aggravated by my awareness that 270 is a set point for me, and not only am I afraid I can't break it, but I am also afraid that my body starts to go into overdrive to defeat me whenever I get close to it.

Maybe these aren't rational fears, but they are real.

The downsides this week:

1) Overconfidence. My down days were so manageable, I thought I could skate by without counting every single morsel on up days so long as I only ate to satiety. Clearly I was wrong about that.

2) Wildly Bouncing Scale. For a while there it looked almost as if I was going to have to report a 6 lb gain this week--that's how volatile the bounces were.

The upsides:

1) Getting a Grip on Down Days. I'm not afraid of DDs anymore. I still hate them. They are not easy. But I know I can do it. I've been confident enough to experiment with different routines, too. For a while I was spending half my calories on bulletproof coffee. Today I opted for actual food and managed my hunger well enough to have a fairly productive writing day--during which I did such horrible things to my poor ancient queen that I made myself cry.

2) Spumoni. I can think of no other eating plan on which I could top off my allowable calories for the day with this childhood favorite.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March, 2009
I would say it was the hormones but I bet it was the sodium. Operable word being "was", since both effects do let go. Do you count sodium? I do, and think it is very telling. Still, for a couple weeks a month, I can't seem to lose like I can at other times, so I do have some hormonal influences and can't deny it.

As far as a previous long-term weight pulling us in to that same weight again, some people are so sure about that "force" - I wish I knew for sure. I don't see how it could stand up against alternating calories for very long, though. I don't understand a mechanism by which it could have the impact that hormones do, or be as much a shocker to plans as sodium. Yet, it must be a player.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
I have never had spumoni. It sounds like something I should try soon. I always hate moving my stats for a gain. I still follow the "any gains must be water thing" and keep JUDDDing until it is gone. I always find the weeks where extra hormone issues are involved a challenge. That being said I sometimes get a bit of a weight drop the next week if I don't totally give up (previous eating plan issues). I am happy that you had some more manageable DD's.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/113.5 - 117 p/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
My scale like yours in not my friend all the time

For many, many months now I would only step on that evil thing the first of each month, as before when I stepped on and did not like what I saw, I would get depressed and EAT

Now the past week or so I decided to step on almost every day - not good! One day I saw a low of not even 113, then a high of 117, now this a.m. it was about 115!

I shall not be stepping on "it" again until Saturday the first of September.

You may want to not step on so often Seems to work for me that is

Leona
Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Big Cyber Hugs to you, , Stephanie!

All I can say is "I hear ya." There is a mountain of sympathy from me and probably others because we do know how that feels.

If you get on that evil scale tomorrow and it bounces back down, change your weigh in day to Thursday.

When I was doing WW on line Friday's was my official WI day. If I didn't like the number Friday morning, I would do all my tricks like drinking 2 quarts of green tea and just eating small bits of lean protein all day and going to bed early. Then on Saturday if the number was more acceptable I would make that my official WI number and enter it in the on line tracker.

It was a psychological boost for me, kept me from throwing in the towel on a Friday or saying what the heck and diving head first into a huge bag of Lay's potato chips. And, it gave me the discipline to get in one really, really good, low calorie day for sure.

As always you will figure it out and hopefully your hormones will settle down quickly, too.

Poor, poor Queen. I know how precious your characters are to a gifted writer.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Hate that damn contraption. Stay strong! This plan has benefits and we can stick to it. Weight loss WILL come. It has to, right?
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
The scale isn't as evil as the hormones! Don't get me started about PMS and bloating. The only things that get me through are the fact that I will resume weight loss once the darn thing starts and I will once again be a pleasant member of society. ---->
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aeroangie
Stats: 159/159/130 anything
WOE: Low Carb + JUDDD
Start Date: 8/24/2012
It does suck when you are really trying but no one loses weight or body mass in a straight linear line. I have read you retain water while losing the fat out of fat cells. Supposedly, the cells try to hang onto "something" so fill with water until your body decides it's going to release that water. This is why we suddenly see "whooshes" as well as gains. As long as your overall trend line is going down, be happy. I agree that some people don't need to weigh themselves that often also. I am one of them myself. It can ruin my mood for days if it doesn't say what I want it to! However, not losing for months was how I knew I had a thyroid problem. It took two years for my doc to find it but being a fitness professional, he knew that I knew my body and kept testing.
Aeroangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
I am trying ot weigh myself weekly. dont want to deal with disappointed every other day! my first offical weekly weigh in is this weekend. I am crossing my fingers!!
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
The downsides this week:

1) Overconfidence. My down days were so manageable, I thought I could skate by without counting every single morsel on up days so long as I only ate to satiety. Clearly I was wrong about that.

Some of us have to count UDs. Some of us find, over time, this changes in either direction. Congratulations on learning more about yourself!

2) Wildly Bouncing Scale. For a while there it looked almost as if I was going to have to report a 6 lb gain this week--that's how volatile the bounces were.

Many of us find, over time, the 'height' of the bounces decreases. This is probably related to #1 and getting used to UD eating that is right for each of our bodies. There is hope, no promise but hope, your bounces will minimize over time.

The upsides:

1) Getting a Grip on Down Days. I'm not afraid of DDs anymore. I still hate them. They are not easy. But I know I can do it. I've been confident enough to experiment with different routines, too. For a while I was spending half my calories on bulletproof coffee. Today I opted for actual food and managed my hunger well enough to have a fairly productive writing day--during which I did such horrible things to my poor ancient queen that I made myself cry.

Happy Dance for experimenting with patterns and content of DD eating!!!! DDs are a place each of us really, really needs to figure out what is personal best (and then find it changes as weight and metabolism morph).

I am sad for your poor ancient queen but deeeeelighted you had the clear head and creative juices needed to torture her.

2) Spumoni. I can think of no other eating plan on which I could top off my allowable calories for the day with this childhood favorite.[/QUOTE]

n'uff said

PS: LOVE these weekly philosophical status reports. You are such an intelligent and thoughtful person.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 08-30-2012 at 06:32 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
PS: LOVE these weekly philosophical status reports. You are such an intelligent and thoughtful person.
Ditto!!!! Now ...

Woman, get ahold of yourself!!! You are still doing FABULOUS!!!!! You know my struggles with this. Even before the Big S, I hadn't managed to lose 17 OR 13 lbs. You are doing GREAT!!!!

Even if you don't think so ... you ARE!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Spumoni. I can think of no other eating plan on which I could top off my allowable calories for the day with this childhood favorite.
"August 21 is National Spumoni Day in the United States." --Wikipedia

DID YOU CELEBRATE?!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote