Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandc90
Question regarding eating disorder and IF

I've got a history of binge eating...and starvation long, long ago....and was wondering if anyone here has experienced IF correcting your relationship with food?

I've read about this online but would like to hear from real live people on the subject.
tandc90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I haven't any personal experience, but having read a lot here over the last 8 months, I've seen that some have, in fact, healed their relationship with food and disordered eating through JUDDD and IF. There are others though, who find it triggers their disordered eating. I'd hate to say don't try it, because I absolutely love this WOE and all the wonderful health benefits. If you are going to try it, I'd say, please listen to your body. If you feel that you're returning to your old, unhealthy ways, or your relationship with food is being damaged, stop and take stock. Only you can determine if it's beneficial or negative for you.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I had anorexia and later became bulimic, but have been in "recovery" (not underweight, purging or active symptoms) for over ten years. I have a sleepwalking/ eating issue still, but JUDDD has been the most healing thing I have done for my relationship with food- period- end of story. I did atkins the first time I gained weight from the sleep eating and lost 110 lbs, but my thinking was not any better about food and all the issues associated with that. I doubt I have to explain the complexity to you- you obviously understand.

I have been doing JUDDD since the end of March. I think I actually may think of food like an almost normal person does. I don't think of food as a punishment/ reward anymore, it is not a weapon, it is not a friend/ enemy. It is food and I really enjoy it today.

I've lost about 45 lbs, but am quite certain that it will stay off for good. I adhered to Atkins for 3 yrs without a single "cheat", but that was really just as disordered in my opion since it involved ridged rules about what I could/ couldn't consume in order to "be good".

On JUDDD I have NO RISTRICTIONS! I just follow my calories. Some foods make me tired or sluggish so I may avoid them, but nothing is off limits. I don't live in fear of any food group.

I do not keep really high calorie foods in the house since I'm prone to the sleep eating thing, but if that is not an issue for you, you would not need to worry about what you keep in your fridge for UDs.

I hope that was helpful. JUDDD has been a truly freeing and enjoyable experience.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Hi-- great question.

I was bulimic in my early teens and had tendencies (not often active) into my late teens-- (I wouldn't binge, but breaking my super-strict diet would cause me to purge...).
I had treatment, and I'd say like Carly above, I'm in recovery.

I totally thought JUDDD would trigger my "all or nothing" tendencies... ESPECIALLY toward being super strict, then blowing it and purging.

Nope.

Now, I do find that carbs tend to trigger more carbs for me. BUT-- and that's a big but (ha ha), here's the thing-- there's no forbidden food.
So, it kind of pulls the rug out from under a lot of mistaken beliefs, and like with a bully, zaps the power out of them. NWIM?

Also, I, and some other posters here, seem to find the tendency to eat a bit MORE comes on UP days, not DOWN days. Super weird.

I did see part of that fasting BBC thing on youtube, and the researcher in IF found people ate maybe 10% more calories on an UD than on the DD... which isn't that bad, if you think about it.

So-- back to me
I'm ok with UD and DD, and I don't binge and purge, or fast longer than I need to. I'm learning about "m-o-d-e-r-a-t-i-o-n" and that less isn't more, and more isn't more.
I can have "that food"-- if not today, then tomorrow. And by waiting till tomorrow, some of the allure rubs off, and even if I do have that food on the tomorrow day, it's less fabulous than I thought it would be-- and i remember that for next time.

But I don't keep cupcakes in the house
Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
My thoughts are with all of you! I have nothing to offer that would help, but ED's are horrible.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I can't do JUDDD as written because of ED issues. However, between lower carb, intermittent fasting, No S style eating (3 x day with no snacks, seconds or sweets), and higher DD calories/lower UD calories, I make it work. jeeze. I don't know if any of what I just said is at all intelligible! Too long on LCF!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
I have found that lately my UD's, while still in the right calorie range, are "binge-y" as far as what I'm eating. I've never had an eating disorder, and other than eating too much food, I've been a healthy eater for years (treats only occasionally and in moderation)... so this worries me quite a bit. Not sure what I'm going to do about it.
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thank you everyone. I appreciate your opening up. I've got "The Alternate Day Diet" and am looking forward to reading it. I'm finding low carb to be great for energy, but I'm having some issues with the limitations.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I think one of the things I got from the book was this (and I'm paraphrasing):

most people now need to lose weight. To do this, you'll need to restrict your food in some way-- carbs, calories, fat, amount-- something. Pick your thing.

Like I said, that's a paraphrase, and what I took away from the first part of the book. I sort of had an ah-ha moment with that. After that, and a few other ah-ha moments in my first month or so, JUDDD has been working for me.

Wishing you luck, and post any questions-- great bunch here!

Soren
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
You know, I completely thought I would have an ED crisis with JUDDD. But I think it has something to do with it fitting in with my natural hunger patterns. I have little temptation or desire to eat early in the day, so by the time I'm good and hungry, I could eat if I wanted. So i don't really feel limited.

Don't get me wrong. I have some hungry days. But others are pretty easy to get through.

I love it.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
most people now need to lose weight. To do this, you'll need to restrict your food in some way-- carbs, calories, fat, amount-- something. Pick your thing.
I've been thinking about this a lot. It's true. I have to accept that reality if I want to lose weight. I have to determine how far I'm willing to go and how much weight I want to lose. Honestly if I didn't feel so bad I'd not even bother and just accept things as is.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I have no ED history but will be honest and say I've struggled with 'bingeing' here and there starting about 4 months into JUDDD. Just when I think I'm going to give up this WOE I get it back under control and things are good for awhile. Then all of a sudden it starts up again and I can't seem to find the rhyme or reason. Right now I'm in the zone and hoping maybe it's out of my system for good.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your honesty, Kathy. I appreciate it.